Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A septuagenarians pocket knife.

cbl51 · 28 · 1092

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
A septuagenarians pocket knife.
on: April 21, 2020, 06:10:29 PM
I'm an old fart. I'll get that right out in front at the start. I've been carrying a knife if some sort for over 60 years.. Its been a very long road and being a knife nut means that a hell of a lot of knives have come and gone. Big knives, little knives, cheap knives, an high dollar custom knives like Randall's and others.

Over the course of 60 years of knife carry, I've come to a few conclusions. One, and the biggest one, is that I regret spending as much money on them as I did. Because of being a knife nut, and being obsessed with them, I was totally out of my mind in my younger days. The knife was a cult worship item with me, and had little to do with reality. Most of my friends and family thought I was nuts, and looking back on it all, they were right. I was nuts. Only in my late middle age around late 40's or early 50's I got a little more real world about it.

There was a period that was like the sun burning off a thick morning fog, and it was like coming out of a sort of temporary insanity, and I looked at all the crap I had and thought "What the hell were you thinking?" I did a big sell off of the stuff I could get my money back out of like the custom stuff and high end production stuff, and just gave away the rest. Kids, grandkids, friends, all got to pick through my knives. It was liberating. I felt like a great weight was lifted off my back and I kept some pocket knives of modest size, mostly SAK's. It was all I ever really needed anyways.

One thing being an obsessed knife nut did, was make constantly grossly over estimate how much knife I needed. I'd carry at least two, sometimes three folding pocket swords that were for the most part almost useless because of the size and clumsiness of them in precise cutting situations. Even though I was very active camping/backpacking, fishing, some hunting in my younger days, canoe trips, I never really needed much more than a SAK or small fixed blade with a 3 1/2 to 4 inch blade. In an interview, Jeff Randall of EESE knives said that 99% of the knife market is B.S. and I've come to believe him.

My backpacking knife and go-to knife used to be a Randall 14. It was a ridiculous over kill of massive folly. I never came close to using that knife for anything that a Buck 102 or even a SAK could do. Hype and smoke and mirrors of the knife magazines push products that have very little real world use. Our grandfathers and their fathers got by running farms, ranches, factories, shipyards with a pocket knife on them. Usually a small pocket knife. Now in the 21st century, why do these young guys reading the knife magazines feel they need a fast opening knife with a locking blade capable of prying open a tank hatch?

I've been in the army, and I've been a blue collar worker in a machine shop running Bridgeport mills and lathes and drill presses, and assembled a lot of stuff for shipment out. All of my co-workers who thought I was nuts all had a knife. Two of them carried a small Buck 309 companion and did well with whatever they had to cut. One guy had a little beat up Wenger patriot two blade pen knife that was as thin as a stick of gum. It cut what was needed. Others just used what ever Stanley 99 utility knife was on the workshop bench.

Since I turned 50, I've used a Boker 240 pen knife, a Buck 309, an Opinel number 7, a Victorinox classic, a Victorinox recruit, a Wenger SI, and sometimes my old Buck 102 woodsman. Since July 18, 2018, my everyday pocketknife has been a Victorinox executive. That little knife has been a real lesson in efficiency and a tool that punches well about its weight class. I use the Buck sheath knife for messy jobs like cleaning fish, but the little SAK does the rest of my cutting jobs.

When I was a young guy full of myself and sure that I was right about everything, I looked at the old codgers with the little pen knife and thought they were just dumb. The joke was on me. They were the smart ones that knew how to finesse things so they didn't need a pocket sword. For the whole time I went through my 50's I carried a little Case peanut in my pocket and a SAK classic on my keyring. They cut everything I needed. I got to retire early when I was 51 years old, so I had lots of time to go fishing, camping, traveling, and the wife and I took some long car trips around the country to Yellowstone, Canyonlands, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Badlands and other Nations Parks. We camped out, hiked and fished all over. At no time did I need a knife that couldn't fit in the coin pocket of my jeans.

I detest what the knife industry has done to artificially stimulate the knife market by peddling ridiculous tacticool knives that our grandfathers would laugh at. Somehow these men who survived a Great Depression, then went off to fight WW2, and come home to build the great American Suburbia that 98% of us live in did well with a model 2 blade jackknife or pen knife in their pocket.

It a shame that all perception of reality has been lost. How many people really need more than a few inches of blade with a few tools tossed in?
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Re: A septuagenarians pocket knife.
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 06:37:47 PM
A SAK is enough in almost all cases.

About the knife industry: Welcome to the new normal. We live in strange times.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 06:58:23 PM
CBL51, that was another great read and I really enjoyed it.  I'm in my early 50's now and I've pretty much chosen my carry knives. At this point I know what works for me and there's nothing tacticool about any of them. The biggest knife I might carry is a 111mm SAK.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 08:42:08 PM
Then I'd call BS on Jeff Randall as they sell and market a knife called the Esee 5, BUT knowing why that knife was created I know better......

You seem to have gone full circle.  Do you think having gone thru the knife craziness brought you full circle?  If you hadn't gone thru it then I wonder what?

I recall you were guided to some extent on so much buying of knives in your early knife craze.  I seem to also recall you even had a moment of clarity but continued on.  You went your way as most will do.  I think a great many who have a love of cutlery will follow suit tho it also seems regret plays a big part of how you feel today.   Did you not have any fun during the process?  Is regret of not listening to yourself or others the larger part of this story? Is it the money lost/spent or both?

I think you got to where you are only by your journey.  I get this from reading all you post.  Your journey played the vital role as you continued to buy even when you had a clear moment.  Thats what I read when I read your story.  We are passionate in our hobbies.  The Alox Forever thread you began is crying now.  Heres my take.  Your beloved SI and Classic never saw the mistress coming, how could they?  The passion you have still burns if only a pilot light.  That mistress is the Victorinox Executive.  You'd never have even looked in that direction if Nix hadn't gifted it AND you weren't just a little curious.  Heck you're on a site with lots of knifes and that spark seems to not have ignited your curiosity.  That curiosity however has been smoldering, maybe gone dormant.  You've said it over and over again about your knife days.  It seemed to be a sore spot to me.  The regret, the fog, the money spent/wasted. Its no wonder that curiosity lay dormant, yet it was smoldering.  That Executive ignited your curiosity.  The knife guy was back once you put it into your pocket.  The fire may not be what it as compared to yesteryear because you have had many knives thru your hands.  If however the curiosity was extinguished long ago there would be no Executive in your pocket.  I believe once we began this journey, a journey we are on.  There's no DONE with cutlery.  Not from all you posted.  Your journey may not be a furious as it once was but to me its ongoing.   

Now what if those who follow a similar path of buying and buying feel no regret?   What if they are honest with themselves about their buying habits?  What if they haven't had the experience with enough knives to know which is their preferred style?  So many factors come into play.  I respect your story.  I appreciate it.  I am always thankful you share with us.   

The only real "regrets" I have is buying CnC (cheap and cheerful).  The quality items I bought/traded for can easily be sold for a tidy profit.  Yes I have looked at those items at times and been  :facepalm: :oops:.  I then sold some and got the money and was like  :woohoo:.  I have bought/traded for things I knew I was never going to use.  My Helle Viking was actually bought to use then decided it was to neat.  Does it bring me happiness to own yet not use?  YES.  I'll tell ya a secret.  I bought it for $12  ;).  See what I'm saying?  There's only an up side on that knife.  I use it break, I break it, not a real financial loss.  I sell it,  I make my money then some.  I keep it as a shelf queen with little investment.  WIN/WIN all around. 

Reading the article where Jeff Randall talks about the Esee 5, which is a crazy knife, he says its his least favorite BUT it was purpose built.  "A military survival school asked us to build something that wouldn't break in the worst wilderness survival scenario and also survive being beaten through a helicopter fuselage if needed. So, the ESEE-5 came to market."

Pretty sure they were not made specifically for that school.  They made them for all to enjoy.  Yes, even couch military survivalist.   

He also talked about materials. in particular knife steels.  He's happy with carbon. 

While I am too there is a need for stainless.  Carbon is wonderful.  What can I say that hasn't already been said about the virtues of carbon?  Stainless steel however has its place. Its a great material.  Theres just no getting around it.     

He talked about the factors in conceiving of a new knife and his answer was, want and need. 

These will also be determining factors for the knife buyer.  Everyone will have a need for the knife they are buying.  It doesn't matter if its because they are collecting or have an actual need for it.  Maybe they just NEED that knife  :D.  Heck I've been there.  I NEED THIS KNIFE.         

Now he did say "In all honesty, the knife industry is about 99 percent bullsmurf. We sell knives every day to people who will never use them. Knife buying is more of a want than a need".

Hard to argue with that for a lot of buyers of their knives as well as others.  We see all the time pristine knives in pictures with captions "My ( fill-in the supposed use ) knife" that looks like it came straight out the box.  Thats ok tho.  People buy swords too.  We don't think they will go out and use them, at least I don't.   

The knife industry knows full well they sell knives to collectors and are happy to do so, Esee included.  They are a business and they are not pre screening who buys their knives.   I think its a great thing people are buying knives of all types. 

So I take Jeff Randalls comment to include buyers within his statement above.  Yes, he goes on to say "All these new weird shapes and designs that keep coming out are made just to have something new and "tacticool"  most companies refuse to speak the truth and just say, the reason we designed this is because some mall ninja would think it's cool and spend money on it."

Well whats the fun in that?  We as knife buyers are not as stupid as some seem to believe.  I'm sure there are mail ninjas who bought knives playing out some fantasy.  I'm actually good with that.  They sell a lot of Esee 5 knives to non military survivalists and I'm pretty sure they are fine with that so whats the difference?  They are happy to take the money from recreational users or collectors as well.  Imagine if only REAL military survivalist who went to that school the talk about bought the Esee 5?  Yeah!  How would they even begin to only sell to "real knife users"?  Is he saying these "companies" who make "tacticool" knives dont have a place in the knive industry?  Like I said earlier, I'm certain when they were asked by the Military Survival folks to design a knife ( Esee 5 ) for their purposes they made WAY more than just that order.  They came out with a Venom Green Blade and Orange handled Esee 5 :whistle:.   Pretty sure they didn't state that was for the collectors or "zombie hunters" in their marketing materials.  Pretty sure the folks that asked for the knife ( Esee 5 ) didn't include this color combination.  They saw the sells numbers of the Esee 5 and pumped out orders.  Yay for them.   

They did the same with the new offerings in S35VN and thats ok.  They listened to their consumers and responded. 

I love Esee.  My Izula is a beast, oh and BTW its in Venom Green  ;).  Point I'm trying to make is, knife collecting, buying, owning, using, or whatever we do with knives should be fun.  Lets have fun.  Its wonderful you came full circle.  I hope I continue to enjoy the journey as much as I am currently. 

Now don't go taking this as an attack.  This is for those who might be feeling their knife buying sucks.  Those how might be questioning themselves.  If you are enjoying the journey  :hatsoff:.  If however you needed a wake up then  :hatsoff:
I will still buy knives that I am attracted to.  Heck I bought a Becker BK2 with no NEED for it.  I paid $20 for it tho so actually I did need it.  I've got a few great knives over the years.  Its been a great journey and as long as I continue to get neat knives at great prices I will continue to buy.  I've also sold a bunch.  I have given a lot away as well.  I think many of have done similar.  It just as fun buying as it is turning someone on to great knives.  This is also part of a knife journey.     

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:26:53 PM
cbl51, I enjoyed reading your post. The perspective and experience you describe are interesting to hear. I, at times, have known the feeling that things I've collected were unnecessary or excessive : Cordless power tools, multitools and knives, Paintball markers and golf clubs have been the biggest vices. That said, I recall a lot of pleasure in the hunt and acquisition of these items, even when others haven't shared the same appreciation that I do for well made and innovative tools. Tools that solve a specific problem or those that try to solve a lot of problems. Most people would think almost 100 cordless power tools are excessive and not needed, and they are right to some degree. Do I need 8 drill drivers? No. Does each have a specific function or feature I have found useful and/or unique,; absolutely. none of those same people complain when they call to ask me to fix something or borrow a tool though 😂😂😂😂

Could I have spent that money on something else, absolutely. But all my bills are paid and these hobbies are what I do to reward myself for the hard work I do day in and day out.\

At the same time though, look at this community of people who appreciate some of the things I do. The enjoyment I have in reading about peoples experiences, their enjoyments for their tools and knives, brings me joy. And yes, all retail products and such have gone through and will continue to go through, evolutions, new ideas, enhancements. I dont begrudge these people. Some are just in it to make a buck, some see a problem and think they have a design solution for that problem and some are in between both the financial and problem solving aspects of the business.

Anyhow, I am sorry you feel regrets about this... but I'm sure your grandchildren will forever cherish the pockets knives and tools you handed down to them. Someday one or more of them may hand them down to their children and grandchildren...... at that you cannot put a price on the family heritage.

Thanks again for sharing!!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 09:28:26 PM
I've read through your entire post Aloha, and I have to say...

If I could buy a Helle Viking for $12 and a BK2 for $20, I'd keep buying too :rofl:

Let me know when you NEED them gone.
I'll take them from your hands and let you have a small profit :D

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 09:30:59 PM
Let me know when you NEED them gone.
I'll take them from your hands and let you have a small profit :D

:rofl: :rofl:

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 09:31:29 PM
Then I'd call BS on Jeff Randall as they sell and market a knife called the Esee 5, BUT knowing why that knife was created I know better......

You seem to have gone full circle.  Do you think having gone thru the knife craziness brought you full circle?  If you hadn't gone thru it then I wonder what?

I recall you were guided to some extent on so much buying of knives in your early knife craze.  I seem to also recall you even had a moment of clarity but continued on.  You went your way as most will do.  I think a great many who have a love of cutlery will follow suit tho it also seems regret plays a big part of how you feel today.   Did you not have any fun during the process?  Is regret of not listening to yourself or others the larger part of this story? Is it the money lost/spent or both?

I think you got to where you are only by your journey.  I get this from reading all you post.  Your journey played the vital role as you continued to buy even when you had a clear moment.  Thats what I read when I read your story.  We are passionate in our hobbies.  The Alox Forever thread you began is crying now.  Heres my take.  Your beloved SI and Classic never saw the mistress coming, how could they?  The passion you have still burns if only a pilot light.  That mistress is the Victorinox Executive.  You'd never have even looked in that direction if Nix hadn't gifted it AND you weren't just a little curious.  Heck you're on a site with lots of knifes and that spark seems to not have ignited your curiosity.  That curiosity however has been smoldering, maybe gone dormant.  You've said it over and over again about your knife days.  It seemed to be a sore spot to me.  The regret, the fog, the money spent/wasted. Its no wonder that curiosity lay dormant, yet it was smoldering.  That Executive ignited your curiosity.  The knife guy was back once you put it into your pocket.  The fire may not be what it as compared to yesteryear because you have had many knives thru your hands.  If however the curiosity was extinguished long ago there would be no Executive in your pocket.  I believe once we began this journey, a journey we are on.  There's no DONE with cutlery.  Not from all you posted.  Your journey may not be a furious as it once was but to me its ongoing.   

Now what if those who follow a similar path of buying and buying feel no regret?   What if they are honest with themselves about their buying habits?  What if they haven't had the experience with enough knives to know which is their preferred style?  So many factors come into play.  I respect your story.  I appreciate it.  I am always thankful you share with us.   

The only real "regrets" I have is buying CnC (cheap and cheerful).  The quality items I bought/traded for can easily be sold for a tidy profit.  Yes I have looked at those items at times and been  :facepalm: :oops:.  I then sold some and got the money and was like  :woohoo:.  I have bought/traded for things I knew I was never going to use.  My Helle Viking was actually bought to use then decided it was to neat.  Does it bring me happiness to own yet not use?  YES.  I'll tell ya a secret.  I bought it for $12  ;).  See what I'm saying?  There's only an up side on that knife.  I use it break, I break it, not a real financial loss.  I sell it,  I make my money then some.  I keep it as a shelf queen with little investment.  WIN/WIN all around. 

Reading the article where Jeff Randall talks about the Esee 5, which is a crazy knife, he says its his least favorite BUT it was purpose built.  "A military survival school asked us to build something that wouldn't break in the worst wilderness survival scenario and also survive being beaten through a helicopter fuselage if needed. So, the ESEE-5 came to market."

Pretty sure they were not made specifically for that school.  They made them for all to enjoy.  Yes, even couch military survivalist.   

He also talked about materials. in particular knife steels.  He's happy with carbon. 

While I am too there is a need for stainless.  Carbon is wonderful.  What can I say that hasn't already been said about the virtues of carbon?  Stainless steel however has its place. Its a great material.  Theres just no getting around it.     

He talked about the factors in conceiving of a new knife and his answer was, want and need. 

These will also be determining factors for the knife buyer.  Everyone will have a need for the knife they are buying.  It doesn't matter if its because they are collecting or have an actual need for it.  Maybe they just NEED that knife  :D.  Heck I've been there.  I NEED THIS KNIFE.         

Now he did say "In all honesty, the knife industry is about 99 percent bullsmurf. We sell knives every day to people who will never use them. Knife buying is more of a want than a need".

Hard to argue with that for a lot of buyers of their knives as well as others.  We see all the time pristine knives in pictures with captions "My ( fill-in the supposed use ) knife" that looks like it came straight out the box.  Thats ok tho.  People buy swords too.  We don't think they will go out and use them, at least I don't.   

The knife industry knows full well they sell knives to collectors and are happy to do so, Esee included.  They are a business and they are not pre screening who buys their knives.   I think its a great thing people are buying knives of all types. 

So I take Jeff Randalls comment to include buyers within his statement above.  Yes, he goes on to say "All these new weird shapes and designs that keep coming out are made just to have something new and "tacticool"  most companies refuse to speak the truth and just say, the reason we designed this is because some mall ninja would think it's cool and spend money on it."

Well whats the fun in that?  We as knife buyers are not as stupid as some seem to believe.  I'm sure there are mail ninjas who bought knives playing out some fantasy.  I'm actually good with that.  They sell a lot of Esee 5 knives to non military survivalists and I'm pretty sure they are fine with that so whats the difference?  They are happy to take the money from recreational users or collectors as well.  Imagine if only REAL military survivalist who went to that school the talk about bought the Esee 5?  Yeah!  How would they even begin to only sell to "real knife users"?  Is he saying these "companies" who make "tacticool" knives dont have a place in the knive industry?  Like I said earlier, I'm certain when they were asked by the Military Survival folks to design a knife ( Esee 5 ) for their purposes they made WAY more than just that order.  They came out with a Venom Green Blade and Orange handled Esee 5 :whistle:.   Pretty sure they didn't state that was for the collectors or "zombie hunters" in their marketing materials.  Pretty sure the folks that asked for the knife ( Esee 5 ) didn't include this color combination.  They saw the sells numbers of the Esee 5 and pumped out orders.  Yay for them.   

They did the same with the new offerings in S35VN and thats ok.  They listened to their consumers and responded. 

I love Esee.  My Izula is a beast, oh and BTW its in Venom Green  ;).  Point I'm trying to make is, knife collecting, buying, owning, using, or whatever we do with knives should be fun.  Lets have fun.  Its wonderful you came full circle.  I hope I continue to enjoy the journey as much as I am currently. 

Now don't go taking this as an attack.  This is for those who might be feeling their knife buying sucks.  Those how might be questioning themselves.  If you are enjoying the journey  :hatsoff:.  If however you needed a wake up then  :hatsoff:
I will still buy knives that I am attracted to.  Heck I bought a Becker BK2 with no NEED for it.  I paid $20 for it tho so actually I did need it.  I've got a few great knives over the years.  Its been a great journey and as long as I continue to get neat knives at great prices I will continue to buy.  I've also sold a bunch.  I have given a lot away as well.  I think many of have done similar.  It just as fun buying as it is turning someone on to great knives.  This is also part of a knife journey.     

:like: :iagree:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 10:04:35 PM
I have to say I am lucky that I find such deals.  Most everything I got has been at very low prices.  Can't wait to go back to the flea market.  Maybe my perspective is a result of the prices I pay?  Maybe if I paid full asking price and never used the items I'd feel differently? 

To Mcfal12s "a lot of pleasure in the hunt and acquisition of these items" add in the stumble across in my case as well.  Its the PAL knife I found and the Juice PRO or the LM Treads and every Signal I had thru my hands.  Each was met with an excitement since some I was looking for while others I was not.  My Camillus 64 was not something I was looking for or needed.  Its been a great companion tho.  Did it excite or ignite a fire for traditionals?  Yes, and I'm happy it did. 

The easy argument can be made and often is, why do I need so many knives?  NEED.  I don't.  I want them.     
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 10:12:58 PM
We're on the same page there.

I NEED a SAK and a Mora Companion.

I WANT a lot more than just that.

I don't drink, smoke, buy soccer tickets, buy the latest phones or the largest car...
I do enjoy a $200 knife... Which will hold alot more value preowned over the aforementioned things. :pok:

So once a while I spend some money that I can spare and have a blast with them.
Without my SAK/knife/Multi collection, I would have gone loco in this lockdown! They're all pretty mint and fingerprint-free at the moment, but my god have I enjoyed fondling them around and wipe them down.

Worth it? To me, yes!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 10:21:13 PM
Great post as always CBL.  Maybe you can add some words of wisdom to this thread....
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83211.0.html

And I would echo what Aloha says on the outset.  You wouldn't have the confidence in your Executive if you went around your journey, rather than straight through it.  I would also point out that the Alox Forever misses you dearly. 

The purchases I regret more are expensive cell phones and cheap knives - there's a planned obsolescence to both. 

For many years I was content with a Victorinox Soldier, with not even a fleeting thought of wanting something different.  Several folders - traditionals, tacticals.... and several multitools were easily at my disposal, but I was interested in none of them unless it was for a particular job. 

I'm a SAK fan now, and that becomes a hobby in itself. Though I used a Soldier for a decade, over the last couple of years, I'm bothered by the notion that there's always something ever so slightly better.  The scale tools on the Compact, the scales on the Pioneer X, the saw on the Trekker, the blade on the Soldier.  And theres always something slightly worse - the thickness of the Pioneer X, the backspring on the Trekker, the lack of scissors on the Soldier. 

Theres one thing that makes a knife perfect - like my old Soldier for many years - Stories.

Until I settle again, I won't be able to come up with new ones. 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 10:50:02 PM
@ESEE/Randal... ESEE, that is the company with the zombie knives, right? Orange handle, bright green blade... oh and why does ESEE produce knives in different colors, there is really no need for a pink knife, it adds absolutely no functionality... oh and they also sell a push dagger. Seems Randal is a bit of a hypocrite.
Quote from: ESEE product page: Tertiary push knife
Born from the legendary Izula line, the “Tertiary” name (meaning third in order or level) comes from an edged weapon’s natural place in the panoply of personal weapons (primary firearm, backup firearm and then close-quarters weapons).

At the end of the day, knives are like a wrissmurfch, one part function, one part joy. And even my grandpa enjoyed a nice watch, so I'm certain he would also have liked modern knives with great locks, great blades etc...
There is no need to blame the knife-industry for anything. Like any business, they want to earn money and they produce what they can sell. So, I have no problem with all black tacticool, or frilly Elijah Isham designs. Buy what you like, what you need... as long as you can afford it.
Seriously, a SAK cuts as well as a Spyderco Smock (probably even better when it comes to apple due to the thinner blade). But whenever I have the Smock in my hand, I can't help but flick it open, which always puts a smile on my face.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Pop

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 10:59:02 PM
I'm about half your age, and I'm about halfway there. My dad and grandad carried Case full sized trappers. As a kid I carried a Case two blade folding hunter because it was the biggest knife in the case. That and a Ka Bar was a tad overkill for playing in woods not 20 minutes walk from home. I was a one knife man ( large Case stockman) for about 8 years until i found blade forums. Since then I've gone through probably 75 GECs, 20 customs, and God knows how many SAKs, Case, moderns,and fixed blades. Now I'm down to about 12 knives total and could get by happily with just a small tinker and a Mora. Well, maybe not happily, but I wouldn't cry too much.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 11:04:19 PM by Pop »

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 12:03:25 AM
GREAT READ AND GOOD RESPONSES.   :like:
I'm happy with an EDC of Spirit XBS and Compact, but love my Swisstools in general.  Yes I have way more than I NEED,  :dunno: but using them all in last month's Swisstool challenge was sure fun  :woohoo: and  :iagree: with Mechy about fondling them, helping to secure my sanity  :ahhh during this time.  :whistle: 
With this lock down the collection has been put on hold, I still enjoy the hunt  :drool: and look forward to the joy of acquiring new models.  :mail: :woohoo:  As of now I have no regrets nor do I see any coming.  :drink: So for now I am content to continue my journey.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 12:06:09 AM
Even though I'm effectively retired on health grounds, I still find myself needing a larger knife sometimes.

I had a few weeks recently, of just carrying this...

... and a couple of times I found myself wanting something else. A plastic wrapped parcel was one. I didn't know how the item was wrapped/protected, and didn't want to score cut it open, for fear of cutting through to something I shouldn't. I made a nick in a slack area,, and used the blade with the edge facing outwards and worked my way along. The plastic was riding on the edge instead of cutting, even though the edge was sharp (I checked) but not toothy. Sometimes it cut, and other times it slid and bunched up round the kick.

A larger blade would have helped a lot. If it had slipped the same way, it would still have been over the edge when it tensioned up, and made the job a lot easier. I did the job with the small knife, but was harder than it ought to have been, had I been carrying my usual 65 to 70mm blade knives. Even just stepping up to a barlow size would have made a huge difference.

Other times have included cutting up old clothes for rags. Easier with a knife than scissors, and easier with a larger blade. Breaking down the box that my food processor arrived in was another example. I could have used a Stanley knife, but enjoyed using one of my larger blades more.

There was an article on a site years ago, it might still exist, where I guy split a 400mm/16" log with a teeny Vaughan Mini hatchet, just to prove it could be done. Yes it could. It was also far more hassle than it needed to be.

On the other end of the spectrum, are the huge tacticool instant deploying supersteeled and kryptonite coated monstrosities, that have mall ninjas drooling like a St Bernard. No thanks. They're way beyond what are useful to me. There's a balance to be found between the hassle to carry and the hassle to use. For me personally, that sweet spot is between the main blade of a 91 and 84mm Victorinox. That will do almost everything I need from day to day. A Rambler (which I do sometimes carry as my only knife) is a hassle to use on some tasks, and my large Muela Jabali 17A is a hassle to carry. Both are fantastic cutting tools, and don't exclude either from my array just because sometimes they're not task appropriate.

I have wellies and sandals. I don't just choose the lightest footwear that's suitable for both sun and snow :D I have different jackets and different bags. Different torches, and different watches. Heck, I even have a pair of glasses for seeing close up and another for distance. :P

This might all sound like I'm knocking Carl's posts, but that's not the case at all. We've just found that different balance point. Maybe it's familiarity, with his default setting based on a Case Peanut, and mine based on a lambsfoot carbon steel folder. While we both mock the larger 4"+ folder, there may be others who genuinely need that, and may struggle with less based on their own individual needs.

Carl and I agree on many things, and what I think we both try to do, is sell the concept that we each find so perfectly fitting to our own needs, but both stressing how they suit us as an individual, and pitch it as to show WHY it's such a good fit.

We differ too. Aside from my neck carried alox Rambler, and the occasional carry of a Pocket Tool Chest, when I tend go go for that small blade carry these days, and dip below the comfort level of a barlow, it tends to be a two blade penknife. That's my equivalent of Carl's peanut pattern knives. Many days I can carry one of those just fine (providing I'm not wearing pockets that puke stuff out down the side of the chair cushions). That's my Old Timer carry.

Destpite our different tastes and preferences, one thing we do both 100% agree on, is Victorinox makes a damn fine pocket knife.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 01:11:52 AM
At the end of the day, knives are like a wrissmurfch, one part function, one part joy. And even my grandpa enjoyed a nice watch, so I'm certain he would also have liked modern knives with great locks, great blades etc...

the hyper-sensitive smurf filter puts a smile on my face every time  :)

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 05:07:52 AM
Two words: farmer X. Ok thats a word and a letter but the point stands. Or it will stand when victorinox gets off their collective smurfs and finaly start making them.  :climber:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 12:39:05 PM
Two words: farmer X. Ok thats a word and a letter but the point stands. Or it will stand when victorinox gets off their collective smurfs and finaly start making them.  :climber:

Whe they do, they should give MTo a percentage.

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 12:41:28 PM
Whe they do, they should give MTo a percentage.

:pok: :pok:

:iagree:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

nz Offline Storm

Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 01:39:03 PM
Its been a pleasure to read through this thread, many thanks to the authors.

I'm probably pretty well in Carls camp, having never needed/used more than an 111mm SAK(and that was a bit more than actually needed) despite being a fireman, soldier, farmer,electrician and Harry Homeowner. Cant say Ive quite got the years on some (I'm39) but I'm happy with what I've got, and it seems so are plenty of others with what they have.

I'm just a nosy knife floozy- I dont care what type of knife is in your pocket, I just want to see it and hear stories about it  :D :whistle:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 04:51:21 PM
"This might all sound like I'm knocking Carl's posts, but that's not the case at all. We've just found that different balance point. Maybe it's familiarity, with his default setting based on a Case Peanut, and mine based on a lambsfoot carbon steel folder. While we both mock the larger 4"+ folder, there may be others who genuinely need that, and may struggle with less based on their own individual needs.

Carl and I agree on many things, and what I think we both try to do, is sell the concept that we each find so perfectly fitting to our own needs, but both stressing how they suit us as an individual, and pitch it as to show WHY it's such a good fit."

AW

:salute:

I've wondered how familiarity plays a part in our decisions and if its how we "come full circle"?  I posted on this thought but it never really went anywhere.  Its a term used often by me, familiarity.  Maybe its playing in the background as we believe we are making choices?  Maybe its tinting our perceptions of need/want. 

The knife industry is selling knives.  I have nothing but respect for Jeff Randall, let me say it again because I want to be perfectly clear, I respect Jeff Randall.  Lets keep in mind he's selling knives and running a business.  I have nothing but respect for their product.  I've posted how their warranty is second to none.  How buying one of their knives is buying a knife for life.  Lets look at that article https://gizmodo.com/how-survival-knives-are-designed-and-manufactured-1577108102

From everything I've read about this company and the owners I have nothing but respect.  I posted the video of their newest offering in S35VN and how they broke it.  They were upfront with what this knife can do and its limitations you have to respect that, I do.  This is usually when someone says "I respect so and so, BUT", then they go off and disrespect them.  This is not that and this is not what I will do or am doing.  I do stand by my earlier comments with respect to their offerings of venom green Esee 5 being a knife in my opinion that is targeted to the crowd they say other companies target without being honest.  Do I care?  Not at all as I carry a Venom Green Izula proudly, just sayin.  Its not a jab at JR to mention his Venom Green 5.  Its trying to balance a comment he made which I may be misunderstanding.  I'd love to hear him expound upon that comment he made.           

They have one heck of a sense of humor where as it seems the knife community takes themselves much too seriously.  Are they as my kids say, "low key" taking swipes at the knife community?  Yes, at both the buyers and makers.  In my understanding of his 99% comment he's also including the buyers of knives.  I very much believe this is sorely missed by the knife community.  The buyers seem to fuel just as much disdain from makers as other makers.  More of my thoughts.

Do not read this link if you do not have a sense of humor or are too tightly wound.  I thought it was a super fun read and something I read often to ground me when I read those in the knife community taking themselves too seriously.  Heck maybe I take myself too serious?     
https://eseeknives.com/forums/index.php?threads/expats-guide-to-the-knife-industry.5/
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 05:20:07 PM

Do not read this link if you do not have a sense of humor or are too tightly wound.  I thought it was a super fun read and something I read often to ground me when I read those in the knife community taking themselves too seriously.  Heck maybe I take myself too serious?     
https://eseeknives.com/forums/index.php?threads/expats-guide-to-the-knife-industry.5/

Pretty funny stuff. Would love to hear the take on LM. Thanks for sharing

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 05:40:47 PM
Be funny thats for sure.  Hey, if you cannot or refuse to laugh at yourself a little...........

I think all makers laugh at the knife community more than the community would like to think.  They hear us and read whats said.  They want to be profitable yet stay true to themselves.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 05:59:18 PM
No where as eloquent as the fine folks that have posted and replied,  here, but I can say that I relate. Never got into the tacticool phase where form outweighed function, but I've about run the gambit  ón traditionals.

Nowadays, just give me a nice whittler or a large stockman.

Thanks for the enjoyable reads.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 06:04:53 PM
Thanks for sharing that link - very funny, even if I haven't heard of many of those brands! :like: :like:

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 23, 2020, 04:59:34 AM
What a great read! I didn't like retiring the benchmade, but a SAK is really all that is needed. Currently I've added a Wave to the EDC but a SAK in hand is better than two in bush! :salute: :tu:
Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 24, 2020, 04:02:23 AM
To each his own.  Or, as an old friend of mine used to say, "You pays your money and you takes your choice."

Knives are one of my hobbies.  I don't regret any of my knife purchases, with the possible exception of some of the cheap crap I bought back when I didn't know any better.  But even those are part of my journey.

Ultimately, I know that I don't need anything more than a Vic Climber.  Everything else is just for fun!

:cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: April 24, 2020, 07:28:23 PM
 :iagree:

When you boil it all down its always, to each their own  :salute:.  Totally respect that.  CnC do seem to be part of the journey for many.  I knew as I was buying some that it was about trying stuff at lower prices.  I'm glad I did that especially for fixed blades.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD