Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool and Seawater

Dunc · 6 · 3043

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Swisstool and Seawater
on: March 05, 2007, 12:48:31 PM
Heres a picture of a Victorinox Swisstool RS taken 20 hours after getting wet 7.5 miles out to sea . By the time I took the photo most of the water had dried . There is absolutely no rust .There is a bit of sand and dirt vissible thats not to be confused with rust . The Swisstool was used to disconnect the steering linkedge after having complete steering failure:eek: and got completely soaked.

Anybody like to throw sea water over a Leatherman and leave it 20 before taking a picture ?

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Swisstool and Seawater
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 01:34:42 PM
Unfortunately my BO SuperTool 200 has developed some rust after having been exposed to sea air for a few months...

Reminds me of those bumper stickers you see that say "On a quiet night you can hear a Ford (or Chevy, or Dodge or whatever) Rust."  Maybe we should get Travis to whip up some for SwissTools and Leathermans!   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:56:56 AM
Heres a picture of a Victorinox Swisstool RS taken 20 hours after getting wet 7.5 miles out to sea.......The Swisstool was used to disconnect the steering linkedge after having complete steering failure:eek: and got completely soaked.

Dunc

Glad you made it home safe Dunc. Sounds like things might have been a bit trickier had the trusty SwissTool not been along for the ride!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:51:02 AM

Glad you made it home safe Dunc. Sounds like things might have been a bit trickier had the trusty SwissTool not been along for the ride!

Thanks  :) but theres more to it then that  ::) Heres the post I just put on britishblades

Last sunday I was involved in a little adventure ;) We took two boats ( both 5.4m Avon Seariders ) 8 miles straight out to the notorious Haisborough sands to do rough water handling .We arrived at the south marker buoy and one of the boats decided to loose all steering ( we later learned the cable had snapped ) . Although it wasnt a huge sea it was choppy with 5 to 6 feet waves which wasnt much fun with no steering . Well the steering linkedge needed to be unbolted so the engine could be manually steered and with no spanners that fitted onboard it was the Swisstool that got the job done .At the time I was on the other boat feeling quite pleased with myself that I was on the good boat :rolleyes:
 We started to make our way back home keeping close by the other boat when a huge amount of water suddenly entered the boat I was in :O in fact it filled it to the brim and I and another guy was washed to the back and one or two items floated out . The chap on helm immediately put full throttle on to raise the bow and drain the water out .I couldnt work out why the water was entering the boat in such huge ammounts , it was as if we had stuffed the bow into a large oncoming wave and submarined it , but we hadnt :S Then it done it again :O this time the guy on helm got washed past me and as he had a kill cord round his leg it cut the engine too . Anyway we got her started again and then the problem was plain to see , the rubber inflatable tube ( sponson ) had parted with the fiberglass hull at the bow and ran about 3 feet down the port side , so everytime we hit a wave water just flooded in at the gap .So both boats limped back and we all made it back safe and sound with plenty of bruises.I then decided I had had enough of boats for the day and retired to the pub for a much needed pint :D
 Sorry to rattle on , didnt think it would end up this long :rolleyes: So once again the Swisstool has proved itself .
  Now for the pics :rolleyes:

Our boat will be off service for a couple of days while we wait for a new steering cable .She's rather old now :( Cant wait for our new one to be finnished .

Dunc

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:32:35 AM
Anybody like to throw sea water over a Leatherman and leave it 20 before taking a picture ?

my PST has been used underwater, left for days and come up shiny.

I can say that my Wave is a pain for rust spots though- Esp. around the wire cutters and areas with that finish, it's a little bit disappointing.

Wass that knife in the middle?

(On the topic of Water - Having asked a fellow why he doesn't get a Leading Brand multi to replace his $15 Hardware Store special, the reply-with-question was "Do they sink any slower?" )
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:44:42 AM by Nomad »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 04:45:27 PM
The knife in the middle is  a Joel C. Bolden Model 4 Utility in 154CM steel . I really cant remember why I put a picture of it in this thread now  :think:  It certainly didnt go out to sea with me . Lovely knife though  :D  And Joel isnt that expensive either .

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD