Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger mod - please help

us Offline Simyo

Re: Wenger mod - please help
Reply #30 on: April 04, 2020, 03:47:35 AM
To answer the original question with all the extra information.  If the tool is thick enough, such as the pliers, you can file down the bushings and remove it and put the liners and tool back in.  Just be careful not to damage the outside liner.  I do think it’s easier to just pick up the model I. Question but sometimes chopping things up is fun.

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #31 on: April 04, 2020, 04:44:36 AM
To answer the original question with all the extra information.  If the tool is thick enough, such as the pliers, you can file down the bushings and remove it and put the liners and tool back in.  Just be careful not to damage the outside liner.  I do think it’s easier to just pick up the model I. Question but sometimes chopping things up is fun.

Thank you for the additional advice. I think I'll probably end up going down the mod route one day, as I am still not 100% content with the thickness of the Evo14 scales. I just need to accumulate more confidence from fellow Wenger modders b4 I tear mine apart.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #32 on: April 04, 2020, 05:13:43 AM
Interesting. So I see the Evo14, Vic Alumnus and Wenger Traveler all share a very similar toolset? The main difference is the can opener between the Vic and Wenger, and the Vic is negligibly 1mm shorter. The new Evo14 is by far the thickest though, due to its scales.
Right on.

You'll notice that Vic also changed the Wenger punch to its own reamer/awl. I like that they kept the Wenger blade (a better shape IMO) and the flat screwdriver that locks when you push it onto screws.

The curved outer liners make the Delemont Evo 14 a little higher than the Traveller. And while the Evo 14 is more of a pocketful, the sculpted scales do improve handling comfort IMO. In particular, the corkscrew bothers me less when I hold my Evowood.

Anyway, congratulations on your new purchase! Thick as they are, I feel that both the red and wooden scales make the Delemont 14s classier and more comfortable alternatives to the Climber.
Rambler

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #33 on: April 04, 2020, 05:48:21 AM
Right on.

You'll notice that Vic also changed the Wenger punch to its own reamer/awl. I like that they kept the Wenger blade (a better shape IMO) and the flat screwdriver that locks when you push it onto screws.

The curved outer liners make the Delemont Evo 14 a little higher than the Traveller. And while the Evo 14 is more of a pocketful, the sculpted scales do improve handling comfort IMO. In particular, the corkscrew bothers me less when I hold my Evowood.

Anyway, congratulations on your new purchase! Thick as they are, I feel that both the red and wooden scales make the Delemont 14s classier and more comfortable alternatives to the Climber.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes I looked at the Evowood version too. It is a classy looking piece, and has a classy price to boot  8). I think it would make a good collector's item. I went for the cellidor version in the end as otherwise I would be too hesitant to use it. But thats just me.  :cheers:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #34 on: April 04, 2020, 06:39:30 AM
Thank you for your kind words. Yes I looked at the Evowood version too. It is a classy looking piece, and has a classy price to boot  8). I think it would make a good collector's item. I went for the cellidor version in the end as otherwise I would be too hesitant to use it. But thats just me.  :cheers:
I understand your sentiments completely. Yeah, the Evowoods are evospensive. I was lucky to get mine used for a very good price. A tiny ding on one of the scales, is all. I prefer it as an elegant yet useful desk ornament than as pocket carry!
Rambler

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: April 04, 2020, 02:51:49 PM
My Evowood 14 gets carried, and more often than my other Travelers too. I decided that if I was going to pay that price, I should get my money's worth from it in usage.

That and the Soft Touch 14 are the only two Evolution scaled knives I have. My other two Travelers, aside from the part serrated one shown above, are a stainless version, and a SwissBuck Sidekick. The SwissBuck and Soft Touch both have a clipped blade.

I added an inline Phillips and carabiner layer to my only celidor version, so that's even thicker still.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD