Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

3D Printer Blog

Chako · 317 · 17545

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: 3D Printer Blog
Reply #30 on: May 03, 2020, 11:27:11 AM
exactly why I'm hesitant to pull the trigger... it will probably arrive and I will already be back in Paris...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #31 on: May 03, 2020, 03:05:22 PM
That would not be good.

I bought another pair of black PLA filament off of Amazon. that should make 3 rolls of PLA and 1 roll of PETG. Should be enough to start with I think.

I found out you need to keep the filament away from humidity. I sourced a cheap air tight box from a dollar store. I bought one as I still have no clue what size these 1Kg filament spools are. My idea is to keep them inside these air tight boxes along with a 230g moisture eliminators that I use to keep my gun room nice and dry.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #32 on: May 03, 2020, 07:14:56 PM
Yeah, it's also that I don't have very clear when exactly I will be heading back... need to wait for green light on 2 countries in lockdown.

Add uncertainty of delivery and it makes it tough to decide, I could pull the trigger and just have it waiting for whenever I come back, but I kinda wanna play...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: May 04, 2020, 01:28:38 AM
Latest update. I just checked Amazon and something weird just happened. Looks like I will be getting everything (including the printer) other than the first two items marked shipped (from China) on Monday the 11th of May. Looks like everything is currently in Ottawa Ontario.  :think:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: May 07, 2020, 04:30:23 PM
Why is this wait killing me?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #35 on: May 07, 2020, 05:00:16 PM
Because printers are awesome?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 08, 2020, 04:20:05 AM
I found out you need to keep the filament away from humidity. I sourced a cheap air tight box from a dollar store. I bought one as I still have no clue what size these 1Kg filament spools are. My idea is to keep them inside these air tight boxes along with a 230g moisture eliminators that I use to keep my gun room nice and dry.

Some filament materials have less issues with humidity than others. If it does happen many will still be fine if you bake them dry again in an oven.

I use an air tight box with basically the same setup. I used some moisture eliminator box used on boats, They can supposedly be dried and reused with some microwaving, but I've never tried that. ( :ahhh - less waving than that I guess - micro after all).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: May 10, 2020, 04:30:41 PM
Good information.

So far, I have only bought filament from one company...Overture off of Amazon. 1 red, 2 black PLA and one white PETG. Oddly enough, these come with a free build bed of 200x200 each as a bonus. I guess extras can be helpful? I found out they come in their own zip-lock bags so that should help in their storage. I fear the cheap dollar store airtight plastic container I bought might be too small. I still do not know the dimensions of these spools.

I am told 4 items should be arriving tomorrow up to 8PM. I already installed Cura on the main computer with quite a few add-ons, and have played around with Tinkercad. If I get really into this, I can see myself paying for a CAD program down the road. I can see some real educational tie ins with my work and this hobby and I haven't physically played with anything other than gently dipping my toes into Tinkercad.

Any other free and easy to use software to be aware of?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #38 on: May 11, 2020, 12:53:05 PM
Fusion 360 is free to use, but I haven't tried it myself.  My 12 year old son is getting good at it though.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: May 11, 2020, 01:41:49 PM
Any other free and easy to use software to be aware of?

Depending on what you do you might want to look beyond 3D CAD and towards 3D modelling programs as well. The latter would be programs like ZBrush, Mudbox, and maybe Blender. (The latter is free but the modelling is just a part of the overall package. The first two are commercial and specialized sculpting programs). Rhinoceros with Grasshopper is also well worth a look.

They have different strong points than 3D CAD programs. Depending on what shapes you want to make they can be a much better choice to make those shapes. (Or the only choice for all practical purposes).

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 02:55:38 PM
Thanks for the information. Supposed to have the printer come in today, but I have a sinking feeling today is not the day, I hope I am wrong.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: May 12, 2020, 12:46:43 AM
Did not get anything today.  :(

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: May 12, 2020, 02:07:56 AM
"Maybe you get it tomorrow?"
 - some professor
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: May 12, 2020, 02:23:31 AM
Fingers crossed.  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: May 13, 2020, 04:58:06 AM
I just checked for a hundred times and finally got a message that the package arrived at my city at 8:15 PM. Maybe I will get it tomorrow. Ordered the printer back in April 18th for something to learn and play with during COVID 19. Almost a whole month in transit!  It feels like 2 months! :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 05:03:50 AM by Chako »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: May 13, 2020, 07:09:42 AM
I just checked for a hundred times and finally got a message that the package arrived at my city at 8:15 PM. Maybe I will get it tomorrow. Ordered the printer back in April 18th for something to learn and play with during COVID 19. Almost a whole month in transit!  It feels like 2 months! :facepalm:

I know I've ordered some parts and stuff earlier. By now it has been so long that I don't even remember what.  :facepalm:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: May 13, 2020, 12:55:33 PM
I know how that feels. I just woke up and the first thing I looked at was to see if the package got anymore handling. Can't wait to get that "out for delivery" message.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: May 13, 2020, 11:03:15 PM
The package has finally arrived.

IMG_8399A by Chako, on Flickr

Inside are the upgraded colour touchscreen LCD (Got to wait for the main board to arrive), The auto leveler BLTouch kit. 1 roll of red PLA, and 1 roll of white PETG. And the printer itself, the Ender 3.

IMG_8401A by Chako, on Flickr

The 1Kg rolls are indeed larger then I thought they would be.These Overture filaments come with a neat little ruler, a glue on 20x20 cm base, and the filament in a resealable plastic bag. The base is a nice addition that I will probably not use. I noticed they sell these for 10 bucks on amazon...and you get one free with the purchase of a filament roll. Not bad.

IMG_8402A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8403A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8405A by Chako, on Flickr

I was going to leave it at that, but then I started to look on the exterior of the Creality Ender 3 box and didn't see any reference to it being a 3X. So, I had to take everything out to see what is what. I am happy to note the presence of a glass build plate...so yes, this is indeed the 3X variant of the Ender 3. I looked long and hard for any instructions only to find it sandwiched between the base and glass plate.I was going to do this tomorrow, but at least all the parts are laid out for tomorrows build.

IMG_8413A by Chako, on Flickr

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: May 13, 2020, 11:51:56 PM
That should keep you busy for a while.  :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: May 14, 2020, 02:02:28 AM
 :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: May 14, 2020, 04:28:43 PM
I had a good nights sleep...but it took me a little time to fall asleep as I was super pumped to get the Ender 3 built in the morning. I took my time and took about 2 hours or so to do the build I didn't bother loooking at the included sheet of instructions  as I found this awesome online guide by 3D Printing Canada. I placed that on my tablet and watched/paused my way through the build. There was only 1 mistake, the wrong screws to attach the Z-Axis stepper motor...but a quick look at the include instructions directed me to the proper screws. Yeah, the ones mentioned in this guide do not fit the part. Other than that, it was a real relaxing build.

Installing the side extruded aluminium side arms and power supply.

IMG_8414A by Chako, on Flickr

Installing the Z-Axis micro switch.

IMG_8416A by Chako, on Flickr

Next photos deal with the top gantry along with the extruder and feeder mechanism.

IMG_8418A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8419A by Chako, on Flickr

And here the printer mostly done, including attaching top gantry support.

IMG_8420A by Chako, on Flickr

Lastly, the filament support arm.

IMG_8422A by Chako, on Flickr

Next thing to do is to connect all the wires, do a little cable management, and then plug the printer into the mains.

IMG_8424A by Chako, on Flickr

It is alive!

IMG_8425A by Chako, on Flickr

Next step is to heat the nozzle, the bed, and then to do your bed leveling. I made a mistake here as well...but it was one I hadn't come across all of my readings. My copy is a newer model that comes with a removable print plate. It also came with the glass build plate. I erred in stacking both plates on top of the build bed. This caused me issues with the included clips until I realized you use either or, and not both at the same time. I removed the one and kept the glass plate...no more clearance issues. I then had to level each corner of the bed using a sheet of paper. This took some time, and I managed to slightly score the glass plate transitioning from my rear corner points. There is a bit of a finesse in adjusting the 4 corners. I can now see that.

Once all of that is done, plug in the micro SD card and select one of the files to test print. I think I selected a dog for the first trial test. Printing that out right now.

IMG_8428A by Chako, on Flickr

Going to wait to see what I get and will post the results in here once it is done. I am going to run the printer stock for a while. I am still waiting for the replacement motherboard and a few more upgrades. I also bought a official creality metal extruder upgrade kit once I saw mine is all plastic, along with a few more nozzles and a nozzle cleaning kit. The Ender 3 came with one acupuncture needle in 0.4 size...which looks very fragile. More might be needed down the  road.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:58:15 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: May 14, 2020, 04:42:59 PM
I am in utter fascination. I didn't think this would impact me as much. All I can say right now is this is freaking amazing.

IMG_8432A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8431A by Chako, on Flickr

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: May 14, 2020, 04:47:06 PM
I also late last night, bought another Creality 3D printer, the Creality CR-100 which is their cheapest and most kid oriented printer going. I have an eye of maybe including one in my classroom in the future. Besides, this thing is Optimus Prime cute. Only does 10cm x 10cm x 8cm builds, but it was cheap, and weird...and I can dig weird

https://all3dp.com/1/creality-cr-100-review-3d-printer-specs/

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: May 14, 2020, 04:53:41 PM
My Ender 3 came flat as can be. I have heard that the older ones were not flat at the base and thus the printer rocked a little in use, necessitating a small ship to make it solid. My copy was sure footed and plumb. I also noted that on the newer Ender 3s, there are two base adjustment screws on each leg to make it flat if needed. I guess the older ones didn't have this adjustment.

I find the Ender 3 smaller than I thought it would be. I have plenty of work room on my leather workstation to work with. I was a bit uncertain, never really seeing one in real life. Photos tend to make things look bigger than they actually are.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:24:19 PM by Chako »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #54 on: May 14, 2020, 04:54:35 PM
Printing stuff becomes very addicting!! lol 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: May 14, 2020, 05:01:59 PM
I can see that.  :ahhh

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #56 on: May 14, 2020, 05:25:51 PM
Is the dog printed yet? :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #57 on: May 14, 2020, 06:15:46 PM
:popcorn:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: May 14, 2020, 06:23:56 PM
78% thus far. I have to go out once its done to get some groceries. I do not want to leave it alone.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: May 14, 2020, 07:23:24 PM
The first print took almost 3 hours to do...and I am taken aback at the quality of the little dog. I am very happy with the final results.  :woohoo:

IMG_8441A by Chako, on Flickr

Next step is to examine all the files that came on the micro SD card, take a closer look at CURA, and to try my chops off of something from Thingiverse. I can see a few upgraded parts I will need to do for the Ender 3 now that I have it physically in front of me.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32