Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Polishing SAK Blades

DaveK · 18 · 3891

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Polishing SAK Blades
on: January 04, 2009, 03:35:26 AM
I have a number of SAK blades that are scratched up really badly, too badly really to be used in mods, which is a shame.

I've tried polishing them up with a number of attachments on a proxxon (dremmel), with varying results, but not really ever having got close to the original finish that I want.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline matt

Re: Polishing SAK Blades
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 03:55:36 AM
I have never really tried to polish the blades,but why not try some really fine sand paper for a brushed finish.It would hide scratches,look custom and be easy to touch up.just a thought.I really don't know how to duplicate the factory finish.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 04:02:07 AM
The original finish looks more like fine stone washed/walnut shell tumbled instead of mirror polished to me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:03:56 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:12:15 AM
 :think: Yeah I guess very fine sandpaper sounds like the best idea to hide the scratches

Then maybe a buffing compound and then use the Proxxon to buff  with :tu: Don't even know if they have a buffing wheel though ::) :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 03:33:46 PM
I like to use 800- 1000 grit sandpaper, then finish up with a hand polish using a polishing compound.  If you don't have a polishing compound and don't want to get a tube for a couple of knives, try using toothpaste and you'll get the same results... plus your knife will smell minty fresh and be free of gingivitis.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 05:06:16 PM
Lol. Thanks fo rthat guys, I'll try the andpaper first I think. Then the toothpaste  :P

I'll let you know what happens!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 06:24:33 PM
You need to hear from Neil.  His blades are amazingly well polished and second to none.

Hopefully he'll chime in soon.
I'm back!!

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 09:00:20 PM
The original finish looks more like fine stone washed/walnut shell tumbled instead of mirror polished to me.

Looks like a mirror finish to me:

(Note the image of the tree above reflected in the blade).

R

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 10:16:30 PM
You need to hear from Neil.  His blades are amazingly well polished and second to none.

:-[  OK Ben, what are you after ;)

My honest advice, unless its a blade on a rare SAK, don't bother.  Yes I have and still do take beatup SAK blades to a mirror finish but it takes so long.

I start with 600 grit paper (UK scale) and lay it on a flat surface and rub the blade along, always in the same direction.  After that I check to see if there are any really deep marks that are going to mean starting the process back at 400 or even 320.
If all is well I then move to 800 grit and repeat, this time rubbing the blade in the opposite direction until I can see none of the marks left by the 600 grit paper.  You keep doing this up to 1200 or even 1500 depending on the final look you want.  At this stage you can either buff or hand polish with something like Brasso.  For that ultimate shine, after the Brasso clean up and finish off with a very mildly abrasive quality car polish then hand buff like you would your car.

There are probably mechanical short cuts and I do experiment from time to time.  The problem with using the little polishing wheels on dremels and the like is that its tricky to get a truly uniform polish across the blade, worst still its all to easy to slip and just catch the collet on the blade (that might just be me :-\ ) and suddenly you're back at stage one.

On a slightly more cheery note, often a vintage SAK looks best showing some of its age. You can polish up the blade with just high grit paper and then move straight to polishing.  This gives you a nice (IMO) shiny blade but one that still shows the years of previous use.

Should you find a nice quick way of getting to a mirror finish I'll certainly be all ears  :tu:

Neil

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 10:17:32 PM
Now post a pic of you Pioneer :pok: :pok:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 10:21:33 PM

:-[  OK Ben, what are you after ;)

My honest advice, unless its a blade on a rare SAK, don't bother.  Yes I have and still do take beatup SAK blades to a mirror finish but it takes so long.

I start with 600 grit paper (UK scale) and lay it on a flat surface and rub the blade along, always in the same direction.  After that I check to see if there are any really deep marks that are going to mean starting the process back at 400 or even 320.
If all is well I then move to 800 grit and repeat, this time rubbing the blade in the opposite direction until I can see none of the marks left by the 600 grit paper.  You keep doing this up to 1200 or even 1500 depending on the final look you want.  At this stage you can either buff or hand polish with something like Brasso.  For that ultimate shine, after the Brasso clean up and finish off with a very mildly abrasive quality car polish then hand buff like you would your car.

There are probably mechanical short cuts and I do experiment from time to time.  The problem with using the little polishing wheels on dremels and the like is that its tricky to get a truly uniform polish across the blade, worst still its all to easy to slip and just catch the collet on the blade (that might just be me :-\ ) and suddenly you're back at stage one.

On a slightly more cheery note, often a vintage SAK looks best showing some of its age. You can polish up the blade with just high grit paper and then move straight to polishing.  This gives you a nice (IMO) shiny blade but one that still shows the years of previous use.

Should you find a nice quick way of getting to a mirror finish I'll certainly be all ears  :tu:

Neil

I don't want anything  :D , I can just recognise a great finish.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 10:33:25 PM

Its not technically a mirror finish on that blade though is it :)

More of a convexed satin finish oh I've changed my mind maybe I'll mirror it maybe I won't wait it looks quite good if I buff up the bevel but leave the rest kind of finish :D

Its brother the old '85 red Farmer will hopefully soon be joining it.  I'm going to do the blade the same.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 10:34:25 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

More of a convexed satin finish oh I've changed my mind maybe I'll mirror it maybe I won't wait it looks quite good if I buff up the bevel but leave the rest kind of finish :D

Its brother the old '85 red Farmer will hopefully soon be joining it.  I'm going to do the blade the same.

Neil
No but it looks all the better for having such a conflicting finish :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:44:38 PM

Neil

That's good of you to polish up my year of birth Farmer before sending it to me Neil.  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 10:46:02 PM
Er I'm the Farmer afficinado, it's heading my way :twak:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 11:27:56 PM
Neil - thanks for that, you describe the problem with the small polishing wheel perfectly.

I tried with a bit of 1000 grit wet and dry paper (that's all I had to hand), before finishing with a small, very soft polishing wheel, and whilst not perfect, it's good enough for the one I wanted just now. This one was really badly scratched up, but looks decent enough now.

Thanks for the pointers.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 11:36:48 PM

Looks like a mirror finish to me:

(Note the image of the tree above reflected in the blade).

If you look really really close you can see the reflection is kinda hazy, and there are fine scratches and bumps. It's more pronounced on my spirit than SAK. I duno, it's just different from a true mirror polished surface.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%