Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dumb phones on 4G?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Dumb phones on 4G?
Reply #30 on: April 15, 2020, 11:09:32 PM
Another thing I found with it was just how flimsy it is compared to traditional nokias (I currently carry a C2-01 and have carried nokia's my entire 'mobile' life). It's really not made to the standards that used to define a Nokia.

I used to have an 8110 the first time around... in fact I might still have it somewhere... so it'll be interesting to see how it compares. The slide on the original wasn't that robust, but it did stop my genitals phoning for a pizza.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 16, 2020, 01:52:13 PM
I used to have an 8110 the first time around... in fact I might still have it somewhere... so it'll be interesting to see how it compares. The slide on the original wasn't that robust, but it did stop my genitals phoning for a pizza.

The original banana phone was my first ever mobile. Fond memories of the technology wow that it was.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: April 16, 2020, 03:42:01 PM
So are you saying this new 8110 doesn't feel up to the build quality of the original, or that it just doesn't feel as robust as other Nokias? (which the first one didn't either in my opinion)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 16, 2020, 04:33:31 PM
So are you saying this new 8110 doesn't feel up to the build quality of the original, or that it just doesn't feel as robust as other Nokias? (which the first one didn't either in my opinion)

Feels cheap and nasty, the flip is so flimsy I'm scared to use it. That's one of the main reasons it's still in the drawer. I don't have the original to compare but it's nowhere near the nokia's of old. Incidentally neither was the Asha 300 I had and got rid of. Since they sold out to Microsoft they've been a waste of time from the perspective of the past. My opinion of course.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: April 16, 2020, 07:29:29 PM
Feels cheap and nasty, the flip is so flimsy I'm scared to use it. That's one of the main reasons it's still in the drawer. I don't have the original to compare but it's nowhere near the nokia's of old. Incidentally neither was the Asha 300 I had and got rid of. Since they sold out to Microsoft they've been a waste of time from the perspective of the past. My opinion of course.

I only had one of the Nokias that had the Microsoft OS, and returned it the day after I got it - which was as soon as I realised all the storage was in the cloud, rather than onboard, including all the contact details. That was a tipping point for me regarding data theft by the tech companies. Maybe THE tipping point that turned me against all of them.

I'll give this one a try, and see how I fare with it.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 16, 2020, 07:52:21 PM
I only had one of the Nokias that had the Microsoft OS, and returned it the day after I got it - which was as soon as I realised all the storage was in the cloud, rather than onboard, including all the contact details. That was a tipping point for me regarding data theft by the tech companies. Maybe THE tipping point that turned me against all of them.

I'll give this one a try, and see how I fare with it.

Do you want mine? I can post it over.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: April 16, 2020, 10:32:45 PM
Do you want mine? I can post it over.

Thanks for the offer Ben, but I just ordered a refurbed one off ebay. Should be here in the next couple of days

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 17, 2020, 11:30:40 AM
Thanks for the offer Ben, but I just ordered a refurbed one off ebay. Should be here in the next couple of days

Good luck with it!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: April 17, 2020, 09:14:31 PM
Thanks buddy. It should be here by Monday  :tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: April 19, 2020, 01:04:58 PM
Just took my 8110 out of the drawer. It went straight back in, I'd forgotten how big and clumsy the thing was and how flimsy it felt. I've got two Nokia C2-01's and a C5-01 which between them will keep me going for a good long while. The ancient software simply can't talk to the internet any more which suits me fine. They make great calls, do SMS text messages (the C2-01 better than the C5-01) are bomb proof and cost about $25 in full refurb condition from aliexpress. The refurb consisting of putting a new cover on the phone and a new chinese battery. As long as the companies will still support 3G, a good while here where plenty people still use dumb phones, I'm good to go. When I'm in the UK I use a giffgaff sim and they are still selling 3G phones on their website. I just ordered a couple of spare fascia's and keypads from aliexpress for under $9 for when the current ones are too scuffed up. Long live peace and quiet!  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: April 19, 2020, 10:50:04 PM
[insert paragraph full of smurfs here]

Short version:

Phone arrived.
Very cheaply built.
Poor copy of the original.
My sim is not compatible with it
I've ordered a £5 PAYG sim to try in it.

If the PAYG sim works. I either leave my regular phone at home permanently, and take this phone out with me for emergency purposes when I leave the house, or ditch the contract SIM altogether, and just go back to PAYG.

If the PAYG sim doesn't work, it's back to the drawing board. I don't expect much support from my network provider.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: April 25, 2020, 02:12:19 PM
£5 pay-as-you-go SIM received and installed, and it works  :tu: I haven't hacked into it to strip out the Google and social media malware yet, but at least I do now have a simpler, less intrusive phone to leave the house with.

One step nearer to not feeling like a chipped dog. :2tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #42 on: April 25, 2020, 11:40:54 PM
When I removed Android and put a Custom (Android) ROM on my phone I had to choose which package of Gapps to install. They ranged from having just one or two Google apps to the whole shebang. I went for a fairly minimal one, I think it included maps, Gmail and a couple of other things.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: April 26, 2020, 02:24:20 AM
When I removed Android and put a Custom (Android) ROM on my phone I had to choose which package of Gapps to install. They ranged from having just one or two Google apps to the whole shebang. I went for a fairly minimal one, I think it included maps, Gmail and a couple of other things.

I've turned GPS off. Supposedly. I don't tend to go anywhere unfamiliar any more, and third parties don't need to know where I am. Assistant, PooTube, Google (search), will all be stripped out. Calendar sync has been set to manual, and no accounts set up anyway. App permissions have all been disabled. No email set up on it either. Two family members have been given the number, but that's it. It seems other stalker media social media is by browser only, so that's easy enough to avoid. Bluetooth is off, and data is off. No facility for VPN.

It actually feels very liberating, casting off all that unnecessary and unwanted tech. It's also a lot easier to carry than a Blackberry Passport.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: May 16, 2020, 07:04:35 AM
Well, I ended up with THREE phones... and I'm using all of them!

I got the newer banana phone, and put a PAYG sim card in it as mentioned above. That's the one if I take when I go shopping etc.

I then transferred my contract sim into a 3G dunce phone. An old Nokia flip phone. I didn't realise 4G contract sim cards would do that, although I think it uses 3G masts rather than 4G, so that might give me coverage issues in time. I'll deal with that when it becomes an issue. For now, it works.

I also still have the BlackBerry Passport with no sim, which is used around the house as a mini tablet, when I can't be bothered to fire the laptop up.

Might sound excessive, but it's working out really well. When moving around the house, there's more chance I'll have the flip phone in the pocket, whereas I used to put the BlackBerry down and walk away from it to do something. Not useful if someone calls me, or if I get in a tangle and need to call for help.

Also, the immediate family now has the number for the PAYG number. This means I can turn off the regular phone if I'm having a rough health day, and divert the rest of the world to voicemail,  but the family can still get hold of me if they need to. Plus, if I'm away from home, shopping or whatever, the same applies. I can call a taxi, or be contacted in a family emergency, but won't get other calls I don't need while I'm out and about.

It costs me an extra fiver per month, but it's worth it for the peace of mind, and convenience of having anyone be able to call, or just family only. Also, if I happen to lose/drop/break my phone away from home, there's another sat waiting for me when I get back.
IMG_20200516_053718_edit_600_657.jpg
* IMG_20200516_053718_edit_600_657.jpg (Filesize: 21.26 KB)
IMG_20200516_053705_edit_600_751.jpg
* IMG_20200516_053705_edit_600_751.jpg (Filesize: 34.09 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD