Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer X 30 day challenge

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: Pioneer X 30 day challenge
Reply #480 on: June 27, 2020, 04:33:44 AM
Day 26

Noticed this morning that the curtain thingies (no idea what they are called) were loose. Can opener had it fixed in no time  :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

I hate it when my thingies get loose.  That's why I think it's better to carry the opener layer on the Pioneer X instead of the Combo tool on the Compact. 

though I think I need an Alox Bantam in my life. 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #481 on: June 27, 2020, 10:27:46 AM
I hate it when my thingies get loose.  That's why I think it's better to carry the opener layer on the Pioneer X instead of the Combo tool on the Compact. 

though I think I need an Alox Bantam in my life.
Nobody needs "loose thingies"  :ahhh :rofl:

They don't like it up 'em!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #482 on: June 27, 2020, 05:49:37 PM
:cheers: to you to surge!

I saw you said you're from London.  My stepfather was from London, too.  Not entirely sure which part, except it is the part where they cheer for West Ham!  He had to be moved out to the countryside (Preston) for a while to live with relatives as a child when the bombings were going on.

I am indeed from London, albeit from the other side from where your stepfather hailed from.

To be honest, if you google West Ham (football aside) you will see that it is at about 3 o' clock on the map of London and I am from the opposing side (about 9 o' clock)

That is quite a distinct change in the demographic and, if you are into football, could cause some "issues" (we do seem to love a fight over football here in the UK  :td: )

Thankfully, I can not abide football and prefer Rugby. I know that Canada has a team, or two, but for those who don't quite understand it's like "American Football?" just for men... :duel:
NB: It also helps that we're not too bad at it, unlike actual football  :doh:

As for being moved to the countryside (Preston, in Lancashire) could hardly be called the countryside (I have been there) It was, and is, a large industrial city in the north west of England but, certainly greener than West Ham.

Moreover, as a young lad from West Ham (evacuee) this would have been the arse end of nowhere and, as a fan of "West Ham" I'm sure the fans of "Preston North End" would have greeted him warmly...by the throat  :megaslap:
All joking aside. He was sent to safety and would have been welcomed but, might have had a tough time as "soft shandy drinking southern ba*t*rd"  :pok:

We used to call it character building  :dunno: (kids are cruel buggers though)  :P

ca Offline Tet

Reply #483 on: June 27, 2020, 07:12:19 PM
I am indeed from London, albeit from the other side from where your stepfather hailed from.

To be honest, if you google West Ham (football aside) you will see that it is at about 3 o' clock on the map of London and I am from the opposing side (about 9 o' clock)

That is quite a distinct change in the demographic and, if you are into football, could cause some "issues" (we do seem to love a fight over football here in the UK  :td: )

Thankfully, I can not abide football and prefer Rugby. I know that Canada has a team, or two, but for those who don't quite understand it's like "American Football?" just for men... :duel:
NB: It also helps that we're not too bad at it, unlike actual football  :doh:

As for being moved to the countryside (Preston, in Lancashire) could hardly be called the countryside (I have been there) It was, and is, a large industrial city in the north west of England but, certainly greener than West Ham.

Moreover, as a young lad from West Ham (evacuee) this would have been the arse end of nowhere and, as a fan of "West Ham" I'm sure the fans of "Preston North End" would have greeted him warmly...by the throat  :megaslap:
All joking aside. He was sent to safety and would have been welcomed but, might have had a tough time as "soft shandy drinking southern ba*t*rd"  :pok:

We used to call it character building  :dunno: (kids are cruel buggers though)  :P

Thanks for the reply!  Now that you say it I do remember knowing West Ham was at 3:00 - I wasn't sure why West Ham was in the East!

By Rugby I hope you mean Union, not that other weird thing called League!  We do play a lot of rugby in Canada. The main regions it's played have mostly been BC and Ontario, but the last little while it has spread quite a bit.  I've heard commentators from traditional rugby countries say that we comparatively have really good club rugby here, they don't understand why our national team isn't better.  I'm pretty sure that it's because of the elite level players are all playing hockey instead.  I played with a guy in high school that was amazing, he ended up playing in the NHL for years.  I am in fact an old broken down rugby player (mostly a flanker but have  also played #8 and lock), in fact I only stopped playing a few years ago when I got hurt playing hockey.  We have an "old boys" league +35 that I played in, and as I aged played for the mens 2nd team.  I also have coached my high school team for 15 yrs.  Most of the guys I played with also had a dislike for your type of "football", however I lived in Germany a few times and developed an appreciation for it.  Probably because that was the only team sport I could watch!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #484 on: June 27, 2020, 07:17:13 PM
Thanks for the reply!  Now that you say it I do remember knowing West Ham was at 3:00 - I wasn't sure why West Ham was in the East!

By Rugby I hope you mean Union, not that other weird thing called League!  We do play a lot of rugby in Canada. The main regions it's played have mostly been BC and Ontario, but the last little while it has spread quite a bit.  I've heard commentators from traditional rugby countries say that we comparatively have really good club rugby here, they don't understand why our national team isn't better.  I'm pretty sure that it's because of the elite level players are all playing hockey instead.  I played with a guy in high school that was amazing, he ended up playing in the NHL for years.  I am in fact an old broken down rugby player (mostly a flanker but have  also played #8 and lock), in fact I only stopped playing a few years ago when I got hurt playing hockey.  We have an "old boys" league +35 that I played in, and as I aged played for the mens 2nd team.  I also have coached my high school team for 15 yrs.  Most of the guys I played with also had a dislike for your type of "football", however I lived in Germany a few times and developed an appreciation for it.  Probably because that was the only team sport I could watch!

Don't worry I dislike my type of football too.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Re: Pioneer X 30 day challenge Day 27
Reply #485 on: June 27, 2020, 07:35:56 PM
DAY 27

Ok, so today didn't really happen (late finish last night)  So, the PX was confined to opening mail today  :whistle:

Anyway, here's the post glory shot of my new SAR "Thin Orange Line" velcro badge and wrist band (with added PX)  :salute:
PX challenge 2706a.jpg
* PX challenge 2706a.jpg (Filesize: 132.58 KB)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #486 on: June 27, 2020, 07:37:52 PM
DAY 27

Ok, so today didn't really happen (late finish last night)  So, the PX was confined to opening mail today  :whistle:

Anyway, here's the post glory shot of my new SAR "Thin Orange Line" velcro badge and wrist band (with added PX)  :salute:

(The thin Orange line)   :cheers:  (The thin Blue line) 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #487 on: June 27, 2020, 07:59:55 PM

There is a "West Ham" because there is an "East Ham"  :D Although it wouldn't be apparent if you don't live here (and you don't  :whistle: )

Anyway, I suspect that reason your national team isn't better (and it should be) is because, not-with-standing the NHL stuff, most of the non-traditional rugby playing countries (I suggest Italy here, because Mrs Surge is "one of them") tend to import players with somewhat tenuous links to the country to bolster the national team  :whistle: )

The problem then is that there are no indigenous players, bought up through the ranks, and playing for clubs, who are then available for selection to the National Team and it becomes a situation familiar to the England national football team

Essentially, our national football team (and others, of course) can only select from club players, who are mostly, foreign nationals and not eligible for selection by virtue of that very fact.

Until such time as the great British (insert appropriate country) public care more about the National Team (instead of their club) nothing will change anytime soon  :dunno:

I could continue to rant, and probably will, but only about Rugby  :rant:

I could not give a "flying one" about football  >:( 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #488 on: June 27, 2020, 08:09:29 PM
(The thin Orange line)   :cheers:  (The thin Blue line)
:like: :cheers: :salute:
I was "TBL" previously and I am currently TOL (volunteer role) For the day job it's TPL (purple if you were wondering)  :whistle:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #489 on: June 27, 2020, 08:18:59 PM
:like: :cheers: :salute:
I was "TBL" previously and I am currently TOL (volunteer role) For the day job it's TPL (purple if you were wondering)  :whistle:

Well between you and me... I used to be on the TGL.  I'm not on the TBL, I just know what it is. 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #490 on: June 27, 2020, 08:39:21 PM
Well between you and me... I used to be on the TGL.  I'm not on the TBL, I just know what it is.
It's a team effort and requires all of us to come together and look after each other, regardless.

If you didn't do what you did we wouldn't be able to do what we did (and others still do)  :salute: :hatsoff:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #491 on: June 27, 2020, 08:51:23 PM
It's a team effort and requires all of us to come together and look after each other, regardless.

If you didn't do what you did we wouldn't be able to do what we did (and others still do)  :salute: :hatsoff:

Indeed - though I must warn you that identifying the TGL will take a good amount of research, as I realize it probably isnt the TGL that you think it is.  Some clues: I believe the TGL is akin to the TYL in your neck of the woods, and the TGL isn't in that color nowadays.   :salute:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #492 on: June 27, 2020, 09:14:53 PM
Indeed - though I must warn you that identifying the TGL will take a good amount of research, as I realize it probably isnt the TGL that you think it is.  Some clues: I believe the TGL is akin to the TYL in your neck of the woods, and the TGL isn't in that color nowadays.   :salute:
I thought (perhaps wrongly  :dunno: ) that it was to do with Security (and or dispatchers if you interpret it as the TGL/TYL)

The trouble is that what is represented by something "here" is not quite what's represented "over the pond"

For example; I have been; over the years: Military (regular & reserve) Security (mostly investigation) Prison, Police and currently Customs/BorderForce  (TPL here in the UK) I am also a Search & Rescue Volunteer, which is the TOL?  :ahhh

It gets too confusing when there is no parity.

Regardless, I salute you  :salute:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #493 on: June 27, 2020, 09:30:33 PM
I thought (perhaps wrongly  :dunno: ) that it was to do with Security (and or dispatchers if you interpret it as the TGL/TYL)

The trouble is that what is represented by something "here" is not quite what's represented "over the pond"

For example; I have been; over the years: Military (regular & reserve) Security (mostly investigation) Prison, Police and currently Customs/BorderForce  (TPL here in the UK) I am also a Search & Rescue Volunteer, which is the TOL?  :ahhh

It gets too confusing when there is no parity.

Regardless, I salute you  :salute:

Oh my, theres so many groups - I was thinking the Ambulance service was yellow over by you.  It used to be green over here but these days its mostly privatized or volunteer, and sadly invisible

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #494 on: June 27, 2020, 11:52:50 PM
Day 27

Package duty - opened a new phone stand to help with new WFH responsibilities. 
rsz_img_3514.jpg
* rsz_img_3514.jpg (Filesize: 136.71 KB)

ca Offline Tet

Reply #495 on: June 28, 2020, 02:06:10 AM
Day 27

Package duty - opened a new phone stand to help with new WFH responsibilities.

Nice! Has the transition to working from home been smooth? Were you doing any before?

ca Offline Tet

Reply #496 on: June 28, 2020, 02:10:33 AM
Day 27

I’ve got a bit of a leak, I took the stupid plastic off of this can today. Also cut open a few other things.

Ordered that blue Farmer X today! Looking forward to trying that bad boy out next month. It’s being accompanied by a cheese master 🧀.  I may swap out its scales.

ca Offline Tet

Reply #497 on: June 28, 2020, 02:16:10 AM
Of course I was up in the attic and it wasn’t even hot here today, but it rained earlier.  We’re surrounded by the Great Lakes, it can be crazy humid in these parts.  I felt like I was working in a  tropical rainforest.
  The problem was a bit different than it appeared before I cut some strapping away. I told my builder friend and he said “oh, I have some special tape we bring in from Switzerland, you don’t need that spray now”.  :facepalm:

ca Offline Tet

Reply #498 on: June 28, 2020, 02:17:08 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the face palm guy  :facepalm: is Jean-Luc Picard every time I see him?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #499 on: June 28, 2020, 02:21:02 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the face palm guy  :facepalm: is Jean-Luc Picard every time I see him?

It is Jean Luc Picard  :facepalm:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #500 on: June 28, 2020, 02:31:00 AM
Nice! Has the transition to working from home been smooth? Were you doing any before?

I'm what they call "essential" (I'm thinking "expendable") so I've been going to work all along. They have transitioned some responsibilities to be done remotely, so I'm happy about that. 

ca Offline Tet

Reply #501 on: June 28, 2020, 02:56:09 AM
It is Jean Luc Picard  :facepalm:

haha really?  Then they did a good job!

Good that you're getting some stuff done remotely.  Do you think you will stay that way after (if? I'm staying positive) there's a vaccine?  I think there will be a number of fields where they will realize after this that some stuff can be done more efficiently/better in ways they've had to adapt to

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #502 on: June 28, 2020, 03:50:23 AM
haha really?  Then they did a good job!

Good that you're getting some stuff done remotely.  Do you think you will stay that way after (if? I'm staying positive) there's a vaccine?  I think there will be a number of fields where they will realize after this that some stuff can be done more efficiently/better in ways they've had to adapt to

Indeed you did Tet :cheers:

I think there will be a lot of jobs that will become remote (in part at least) - the commercial real estate market is going to go belly up though.  Office space will become dirt cheap.  I doubt the business decisions will hinge on a vaccine - there are too many unknowns about it.  Some of my friends have no plan to be pulled back to their offices, and some are going in 1-2 days a week if their job has hands-on aspects.  The ones that aren't being called back to the office say their workflow has been just fine that way.... even project managers that are actually in charge of building things get to stay at home to manage remotely, and will occasionally go to job sites. 

Historically a good vaccine takes 4 to 10 years to research and develop.  The "rapid" technology that some of these companies are planning on using was invented beforehand and has never been put into action before - so there's a lot of uncertainty.  It's been 6 years since the last time a vaccine was developed to completion.   We want this vaccine fast, but not rushed.   At this point, I'm thinking that as long as we keep the curve flat, this virus has to circulate at a low level for 2-3 years, and then we will be able to deal with it better.  We've managed to flatten the curve in the Northeast, unfortunately, its getting steeper in the Southeast and some other areas. 

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #503 on: June 28, 2020, 04:36:06 AM
Day 27

Package duty today. Awl to open it, blade to break it down. You all know how a package looks like though, so here is a photo of the PX with some flowers instead  :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #504 on: June 28, 2020, 06:26:02 PM
Day 28

Today I made a riff on baked beans.  I added enough ham and bacon to make it a meal, along with some crusty bread.  There's an onion in there - one must eat their vegetables.   Oh, and there's bourbon in there - one must quench one's thirst. It tastes great. 

Pioneer X opened the can of beans, and sliced the onion. 
rsz_img_3520.jpg
* rsz_img_3520.jpg (Filesize: 145.7 KB)

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #505 on: June 28, 2020, 07:24:29 PM
Day 28

Today I made a riff on baked beans.  I added enough ham and bacon to make it a meal, along with some crusty bread.  There's an onion in there - one must eat their vegetables.   Oh, and there's bourbon in there - one must quench one's thirst. It tastes great. 

:like: :tu: :drool:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #506 on: June 29, 2020, 02:18:43 AM
Day 28

Not much use today. Here is a pic with some other red Alox  :D

ca Offline Tet

Reply #507 on: June 29, 2020, 02:19:42 AM
Day 28

Glad you got some veggies today!  Plus...barley’s a plant, right?

Also in case I forget on Tuesday, thanks  for organizing this EB!  I really enjoyed it. Learned a lot, too!  (Also found some more ways to spend some $$$  :whistle:)

ca Offline Tet

Reply #508 on: June 29, 2020, 02:20:06 AM
Day 28

Not much use today. Here is a pic with some other red Alox  :D

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice group SVL!

ca Offline Tet

Reply #509 on: June 29, 2020, 02:22:23 AM
Day 28

Not too much today. Was out with the family for a bike ride/picnic and sliced open a package of cheese. No action shot, so here’s one posing on my bike.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%