Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Aclim8 Combar

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Aclim8 Combar
Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 08:00:20 PM
Anybody know why this thing is SO expensive? I assume handle is GFN. So, maybe premium metal runs the price up? I really like the look of this tool being a different take on the traditional trenching-multitool usually issued to military types. But for $400 for the basic tool and adding $200 for the knife and saw is ridiculous in my mind.

It would be cool to see Gerber or Leatherman try their hand at a trenching multitool.
Several reasons, if they asked $300 people would still complain that it is too expensive, so why even bother. A high price makes it even more desirable, as not everybody can have one. And of course the there are people willing to pay $150 for a pocket clip, meaning there are plenty willing to pay $600 for this.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 08:47:31 AM
Prestige pricing.

I am ok with that, but I will never buy one. It looks great, I especially like the saw, I can see the utility, it looks well made, and it is cool. But there are other priorities that make me buy stuff. For that amount of money you can buy a comprehensive set of tools, for survival, bushcraft, camping, farm work, military service, whatever you need. The features that this has can be replicated with quality dedicated tools, for a fraction of the price, and they will also outperform each of those features by far, they will last longer, and require less maintenance. I have little confidence in such a large complex tool with so many moving parts, springs, gears, pivots, latches. Sure, this provides much more utility than just a dedicated combat tomahawk, but the price is too much to swallow.

The hollow handle is nice, with the container, or knife and saw.

The only review of this on youtube is the one I posted above. I am guessing it has not sold well. Why would it? It was not priced with huge sales in mind, and if it was, they missed the mark.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 08:47:42 PM
Anybody know why this thing is SO expensive? I assume handle is GFN. So, maybe premium metal runs the price up? I really like the look of this tool being a different take on the traditional trenching-multitool usually issued to military types. But for $400 for the basic tool and adding $200 for the knife and saw is ridiculous in my mind.

It would be cool to see Gerber or Leatherman try their hand at a trenching multitool.

Gerber/Fiskars recently got the contract to produce the E-Tool for the Army, but it isn't exactly a "multitool".

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 03:50:38 PM
Eh, not exactly. At any rate, I guess Gerber or LM would be inclined to think that the juice isn't worth the squeeze? A folding spade like this paired with an MP600 or Signal would cover 80% of the capability, plus some things that the Combar does not cover (screwing :facepalm:).

I suppose I just want to see more quality multitool variety. Plier-based multitools are pretty well covered to the point that some companies are taking steps backward in search of sales (ie SOG sacrificing their good tools for current line-up). Vice grip multitools are out there but nobody has really advanced it past the high standard set by the Crunch. But axes, crescent wrenches, hammers, spades, ratchets, etc... All we really have are those cheapos with a hammer/hatchet-head incorporated into the plier head or the same folding trenching tool that's been around forever.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 12:46:41 AM

Darn. I'm curious to see some more reviews on this thing, but I'm also not going to give Wranglerstar any clicks  :dunno:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%