Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A new Fenix E01 V2.0

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
A new Fenix E01 V2.0
on: July 30, 2020, 10:38:20 PM
Looks like the E01 is making a comeback.  From the specks and photos, "this isn't your father's" E01.  5/25/100 lumens!
https://www.fenix-store.com/products.php?product=Fenix-E01-V2.0-AAA-Flashlight
- Steve

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Re: A new Fenix E01 V2.0
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 02:36:12 AM
Oh my! This is a hop skip and a far cry from the original (which still lives in my car). Multi mode, decent brightness range and it actually has an optic! The orginal was essentially a naked LED in a natural colour aluminuim 'reflector.'

This looks like a must buy, if only to compare it against the competition.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 04:07:06 AM
Looks good.  I'm tempted to grab one.  I wish they would offer some brighter colors; orange would be nice, or maybe gold or red.

It wasn't long ago when anything over 100 lumens was considered a good tactical flashlight.  Now we get 100 lumens out of single AAA key chain lights.  Friends, it's a great time to be a flashlight aficionado!
 :cheers: 

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 04:18:34 AM
I might actually have to get one.  The Lumitop EDC01 has been my goto AAA flashlight, but I do really like Fenix.

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 04:45:22 AM
I might actually have to get one.  The Lumitop EDC01 has been my goto AAA flashlight, but I do really like Fenix.

This covers me pretty well, until I grabbed the EDC01 I was rotating between an Olight... the EOS maybe? The helix one... and a Thrunite T05ti, but now I grab the Lumintop most times I want a small pocket light. I started out with Fenix though and they still hold a special place.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 05:17:33 AM
This covers me pretty well, until I grabbed the EDC01 I was rotating between an Olight... the EOS maybe? The helix one... and a Thrunite T05ti, but now I grab the Lumintop most times I want a small pocket light. I started out with Fenix though and they still hold a special place.

Fenix will always have a special place with me in that they were also my first quality flashlight.  Fenix was also the brand that never failed me throughout all the shipboard abuse while in the Navy.

You can never have too many AAA lights. They take up very little room and can almost always find batteries with most remote controls using multiple AAA. 

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 09:57:07 AM
5 lumens, huh?
I prefer something a little lower there. :)
I think my only twistie has a sub-lumen mode, which I love.

That's one strong keychain anchor, though!!
Will it prevent tailstanding?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 10:23:43 AM
5 lumens, huh?

it looks pretty flat at the base, it might just be one of the ones you need to take more care setting down/more easily knocked over. Not ideal if that's the case but any tail standing ability is better than none.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 10:28:16 AM
5 lumens, huh?

The no moonlight is one thing I’ve noticed about Fenix flashlights since learning to appreciate the lower light levels.  The tail anchor doesn’t look like it would enable tail standing, but could be wrong.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 04:56:57 PM
Fenix will always have a special place with me in that they were also my first quality flashlight.  Fenix was also the brand that never failed me throughout all the shipboard abuse while in the Navy.

You can never have too many AAA lights. They take up very little room and can almost always find batteries with most remote controls using multiple AAA. 
Absolutely agree with the AAA statement, and the same goes for AA lights--I can always find AA battery no matter where I go in the world.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 06:19:07 AM
Curiously the specs and price of the new E01 are almost identical to the current E05.
Wonder if an E05 V2.0 is on the way?
- Steve

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 06:32:55 PM
Today I collected my first EDC torch (that isn't a cheap piece of sh#te from the pound store)  :-[

Here it is with a PX, plus a Mini and Squirt (for comparison)
Fenix E01 and PX.jpg
* Fenix E01 and PX.jpg (Filesize: 248.63 KB)
Fenix E01 Mini and Squirt 20a.jpg
* Fenix E01 Mini and Squirt 20a.jpg (Filesize: 167.65 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 07:38:18 PM
So who's gonna do the first torture testing to see if it's as tough as the original? :whistle:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 07:52:04 PM
Interesting.  Not at all in the same spirit of the original E01 I'd say but certainly nothing wrong with it either. 

Curiously the specs and price of the new E01 are almost identical to the current E05.
Wonder if an E05 V2.0 is on the way?

That's what I'm wondering as well.  Can't see the sense in having two near identical lights out there.

BTW, both my E01 and my E05 are just single mode lights. :D  If you wanted more than one mode you had to buy a L0D.  I suddenly have the urge to dig them all out.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 08:08:29 PM
Today I collected my first EDC torch (that isn't a cheap piece of sh#te from the pound store)  (Image removed from quote.)

So of course we are all now waiting on your comprehensive review thread with tested run times, beam shots and lumen evaluation  :pok:

Not a fan of the billboarding on the front but I'm excited to try it out, the E01 was my second EDC light (behind the Microstream before it was rechargeable) a mere 9/10 years ago (god I feel old  :facepalm:) I'm sujre you'll find out how much a decent torch comes in handy day to day when it's in your pocket  :tu:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 08:31:47 PM
So of course we are all now waiting on your comprehensive review thread with tested run times, beam shots and lumen evaluation  :pok:

Not a fan of the billboarding on the front but I'm excited to try it out, the E01 was my second EDC light (behind the Microstream before it was rechargeable) a mere 9/10 years ago (god I feel old  :facepalm: ) I'm sujre you'll find out how much a decent torch comes in handy day to day when it's in your pocket  :tu:

"So of course we are all now waiting on your comprehensive review thread with tested run times, beam shots and lumen evaluation  :pok: "

I have literally no idea what you're talking about  :dunno:
All I know is it makes dark places light and, when the battery pegs it, you'll be the first to know  :salute: :twak: 

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 09:33:44 PM
"So of course we are all now waiting on your comprehensive review thread with tested run times, beam shots and lumen evaluation  :pok: "

I have literally no idea what you're talking about  :dunno:
All I know is it makes dark places light and, when the battery pegs it, you'll be the first to know  :salute: :twak:

I look forward to your report  :salute:

It's getting dark  :pok:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 05:26:07 AM
Today I collected my first EDC torch (that isn't a cheap piece of sh#te from the pound store)  (Image removed from quote.)

What are those fobs you have attached to the Fenix and Squirt in the second pic?

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 11:13:48 AM
What are those fobs you have attached to the Fenix and Squirt in the second pic?
They are these; https://www.polymathproducts.co.uk/product/glo-zip
They provide a soft glow and are quite robust  :tu:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 02:26:07 PM
Thanks.  They look nice, but shipping from the UK to the US is a bit pricey.

I’ve definitely seen the value in having some sort of GITD fob attached to my flashlights so I can locate them in the dark.  I’ve been using GITD fishing beads, but I’d love to find something better.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 02:31:59 PM

WOW that thing is small!!!  :o :drool:

I was abt to ask whether 100lm is not too low but given the size that output is impressive, then.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 04:37:08 PM
Thanks.  They look nice, but shipping from the UK to the US is a bit pricey.

I’ve definitely seen the value in having some sort of GITD fob attached to my flashlights so I can locate them in the dark.  I’ve been using GITD fishing beads, but I’d love to find something better.
How much are they asking for shipping then?

Maybe I can get them for you and ship them at cost (whatever that is?)

I seem to recall I got mine from their Amazon Site (as I had a credit) that might be cheaper  :think: 

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 05:19:43 PM

They look interesting. Do they glow on the reverse side as well, or only on the front ?

I'm thinking about attaching them to keys, but knowing my luck if the only glow on one side if I drop my keys they will land with the glow side down (very similar to dropped buttered toast)

Edit:  Just found them on ebay, and the answer to my question is:

"Both sides of the zipper pull glow, meaning it can be easily spotted whichever side is facing up."
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 06:16:01 PM
They look interesting. Do they glow on the reverse side as well, or only on the front ?

I'm thinking about attaching them to keys, but knowing my luck if the only glow on one side if I drop my keys they will land with the glow side down (very similar to dropped buttered toast)

Edit:  Just found them on ebay, and the answer to my question is:

"Both sides of the zipper pull glow, meaning it can be easily spotted whichever side is facing up."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: They are good though, really  :tu:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 06, 2020, 07:29:35 AM
SurgeUK, thanks for the offer.  On ebay, shipping from the UK is about $25, which sadly is probably pretty close to actual cost.

Instead, I've ordered some of these
https://www.msrgear.com/tents/tent-accessories/night-glow-zipper-pulls/05833.html
and will report back on their performance.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: September 09, 2020, 10:25:02 PM
SurgeUK, thanks for the offer.  On ebay, shipping from the UK is about $25, which sadly is probably pretty close to actual cost.

Instead, I've ordered some of these
https://www.msrgear.com/tents/tent-accessories/night-glow-zipper-pulls/05833.html
and will report back on their performance.

No issues (and your alternative looks good  :tu: )

I'm having trouble seeing the few replies that I'd sent whilst abroad (Italy) using my phone, is this common  :dunno:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 05:46:36 AM
I'm having trouble seeing the few replies that I'd sent whilst abroad (Italy) using my phone, is this common  :dunno:

I think it is/was a forum-wide issue, with a number of posts now showing up as blank.  There are several threads about it in various sub-forums.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 09:07:50 AM
I think it is/was a forum-wide issue, with a number of posts now showing up as blank.  There are several threads about it in various sub-forums.
I see (or rather I don't  ::) ) Thanks for the reply  :tu: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59