Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wild Man Giveaway!

Nix · 359 · 13371

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Re: Wild Man Giveaway!
Reply #30 on: August 24, 2020, 05:10:38 AM
 :popcorn:

1. It's good for you to practice reading every once in a while.
2. I'm not giving away Jaffa cakes here.....this ain't one of your toss a stick into a field GAWs.... :twak:

Are these more rules?  :think:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 24, 2020, 05:13:59 AM
Pics Nix! :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Yeah, we wanna see yer Nix Pics.....

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: August 24, 2020, 05:26:42 AM
:popcorn:

Are these more rules?  :think:

Uh.....yes!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: August 24, 2020, 05:27:15 AM
Yeah, we wanna see yer Nix Pics.....

:salute:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: August 24, 2020, 07:05:27 AM
I came here to wish everyone good luck, but that blade is too sweet to let it pass without even trying.

Wilderness knife:

The Outrider is easy to sharpen, contains a large locking blade but also serves as a folding saw. Perfect for using dead branches as walking sticks!

The small Philips driver and scissors work perfectly for some campsite repairs or some on the go first aid.
The can and bottle opener need no introduction and everyone knows how much more roles they can fill.

It's not as fancy as a Spyderco,
Not as premium as a Benchmade,
Not as pretty as a Chris Reeve,
But it'll get the job done, open that can of food, and chew through a branch like it's butter.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: August 24, 2020, 07:11:31 AM
Adventure photo:

Dayhikes through Austrian valleys...

Simply my happy place. The free walk cattle, the glacier water streams and grass so green it almost hurts the eyes.

Tugging along some essentials and some food, just to enjoy a picknick some place nice.

Sadly, with my wife's passed Covid infection, her lungs seem to be unable to keep her body going on trips like these now.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #36 on: August 24, 2020, 07:33:36 AM
Great GAW and what a lovely knife! :like:

My favorite adventurer is Jeremy Wade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Wade
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,66210.0.html

Jeremy is, as he would put it, "a marine biologist, angler, and freshwater detective." Most people will know Jeremy from his adventures in River Monsters, but his adventures actually begun decades before his TV career.

He has traveled around the globe, has caught literally tons of fish, discovered new species, came close to death in many occasions, assisted researchers with rare fish, and he has given us many hours of educational and entertaining shows.

He is fluent in Portuguese, French, Spanish, and Lingala, usually acting as his own translator for the show. He is a fantastic narrator and host, and an avid Leatherman user.

River Monsters and indeed, Jeremy, will always have a special place in my heart. Sure, River Monsters is not a survival show, but Jeremy is definitely a wild man. He has slept in huts, under the stars, he has been struck by lightning, bitten and clawed, held at gunpoint, caught malaria, been in a plane crash, arrested as a spy. He is never hesitant to dive into the unknown, catch every fisherman's dream fish, admire it, study it, and let it go. Whether knee-deep in the Amazon, or on a boat in Australia, he has helped his fellow scientists better observe and understand species that are rarely caught. River Monsters is not just a fishing show. Jeremy is an inspiration to thousands of people, especially children, who became a fan of River Monsters, environmentalism, fishing, the outdoors, wildlife and its preservation.

With a fishing rod in hand, a fish on his hook, and a Leatherman on his belt, Jeremy is my entry as a wild man. :salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #37 on: August 24, 2020, 09:00:46 AM
Wild Man GAW participants:

1. RF52 -- Wild Man
2. RF52 -- Adventure photo
3. RF52 -- Wilderness knife post
4. Sos24 -- Adventure photo
5. Mechanickal -- Wilderness knife post
6. Mechanickal -- Adventure photo
7. ReamerPunch -- Wild Man

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 24, 2020, 09:13:51 AM
Great entries guys!
And gorgeous pics Mechanickal :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #39 on: August 24, 2020, 02:13:04 PM
Adventure photo:

(Image removed from quote.)

Simply my happy place. The free walk cattle, the glacier water streams and grass so green it almost hurts the eyes.

Tugging along some essentials and some food, just to enjoy a picknick some place nice.

Sadly, with my wife's passed Covid infection, her lungs seem to be unable to keep her body going on trips like these now.

I swear I've seen Bob Ross paint that. Fantastic. :like:
All the best to your wife.  :salute:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: August 24, 2020, 02:15:57 PM
Thanks guys :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: August 24, 2020, 03:26:46 PM
Great entries, guys!

That valley is stunning, Mechy. Outrider is a solid choice for an Adventure knife in my book. (Only I wouldn't trash the edge by stabbing it into the ground.... :pok:)

Jeremy Wade is definitely an inspiring Wild Man! Great to see him in the thread!  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: August 24, 2020, 03:27:45 PM
Nix’s Official list of Wild Man GAW participants:

1. RF52 -- Wild Man
4. SOS24 — Adventure Photo
5. Mechanickal — Wilderness knife post
6. Mechanickal — Adventure photo
7. ReamerPunch — Wild Man

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: August 24, 2020, 03:44:39 PM
Amazing GAW.  Terrific entries all and the very best of luck.  I usually sit out however I'll also take a shot.  Thank you NIX for your creativity on this one.  It'll be fun to look up the Wild men and Wild women further.

I shall return with my Wild person.   
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #44 on: August 24, 2020, 05:57:51 PM
My adventure post.

A fantastic day out, catching octopus with my brother and his father-in-law. A little cold, but a great deal of fun. Good company, fresh air, wonderful view, and what a haul indeed. :like:

We packed some lunch and drinks, set out early in the morning, and in the afternoon, we have quite the delectable treat. :drool:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: August 24, 2020, 06:17:00 PM
My Wild man is Ang Tharkay.  I always love the guy behind the guy.   The guy who is quietly behind the scenes of which most if not all is possible for others to accomplish.  The guy who humbly does his job with expertise and efficiency.  He was the one who introduced Tenzing Norgay to the mountaineering world.  As an experienced Sherpa he was named Sirdar for many expeditions ( manager of all sherpas in an expedition ).  What is also very important is the Sirdar also makes the final decision regarding route choices.  He was chosen for the 1933 British attempted on Everest and again on the 1935, 1938, and 1951 reconnaissance of Everest which untimely let to the summit 2 years later by Sir Hilary and Tenzing.   

His supporting role is notable on many important ascents.  As mentioned above his participation leading to the summiting of Everest as well as others.  Reginald Cookes solo of Kabru in 1935 was the highest at the time was supported by Ang of which Reginald later said he "stupidly left him at base camp".  He was sirdar for Eric Shipmans 1936 exploration of Nanda Devi and again 1936 which resulted in the 1936 summit by an American-British team ( he was not on this team ).  Shipman credits Ang for finding routes when others would have turned back.  His credits are many and he's incredibly well respected within the mountaineering world.

His disposition may not be of a wild man but his sense of adventure surely is.  Once cannot be a part of the many expeditions as he was an not have a sense of adventure.  I imagine just behind his quiet disposition and humility lay a wild man.  One need not be loud or boisterous or pompous of character in my book to show ones pride in accomplishments.  I admire those who are of quiet disposition, who make possible that which others receive accolades and awards.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: August 24, 2020, 06:45:42 PM
Adventure story. 

Growing up I had a huge imagination.  I also had a huge sense of adventure.  I can talk about the good ole days now that I'm a "bit" older.  I spent a lot of time in the local canyons.  I created forts using any and everything I found within those canyons.  It was a great escape for me in my childhood and a great way to express my creativity and sense of adventure.  As I got older I continued to explore locally.  My friends at the time didntl understand my need to be outdoors in the "dirt" as they'd say.  I live in a coastal city so the beach was about as dirty as most wanted to get.  Well, that and a trip to the ski resorts several hours away.  I was more interested in what Robert Frost relayed in his poem "The Road Not Taken", yet for me it was two roads diverge within the city.  I have always loved being out on the trail.  I've taken my kids out since they were very young.  When friends or family would ask "Whats the draw?" I'd say peace is out there.

They'd always inquire "how do I get started hiking"?  I used to tell them just start.  Find a trail or outdoor environment to explore.  Seems most make getting out much too complicated.  I tell most just get started simply.  While I love to talk gear and preparedness for going out on the trail I also mostly like to encourage people to go. 

So, that being said.  My adventure story begins at the trail head.  Adventure begins just off the road......

* IMG_9673.jpg (Filesize: 37.17 KB)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:38:11 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #47 on: August 24, 2020, 07:05:10 PM
My Wild man is Ang Tharkay.  I always love the guy behind the guy.   The guy who is quietly behind the scenes of which most if not all is possible for others to accomplish.  The guy who humbly does his job with expertise and efficiency.  He was the one who introduced Tenzing Norgay to the mountaineering world.  As an experienced Sherpa he was named Sirdar for many expeditions ( manager of all sherpas in an expedition ).  What is also very important is the Sirdar also makes the final decision regarding route choices.  He was chosen for the 1933 British attempted on Everest and again on the 1935, 1938, and 1951 reconnaissance of Everest which untimely let to the summit 2 years later by Sir Hilary and Tenzing.   

His supporting role is notable on many important ascents.  As mentioned above his participation leading to the summiting of Everest as well as others.  Reginald Cookes solo of Kabru in 1935 was the highest at the time was supported by Ang of which Reginald later said he "stupidly left him at base camp".  He was sirdar for Eric Shipmans 1936 exploration of Nanda Devi and again 1936 which resulted in the 1936 summit by an American-British team ( he was not on this team ).  Shipman credits Ang for finding routes when others would have turned back.  His credits are many and he's incredibly well respected within the mountaineering world.

His disposition may not be of a wild man but his sense of adventure surely is.  Once cannot be a part of the many expeditions as he was an not have a sense of adventure.  I imagine just behind his quiet disposition and humility lay a wild man.  One need not be loud or boisterous or pompous of character in my book to show ones pride in accomplishments.  I admire those who are of quiet disposition, who make possible that which others receive accolades and awards.

Great choice :hatsoff:

se Offline RF52

Reply #48 on: August 24, 2020, 07:07:25 PM
Adventure story. 

Growing up I had a huge imagination.  I also had a huge sense of adventure.  I can talk about the good ole days now that I'm a "bit" older.  I spent a lot of time in the local canyons.  I created forts using any and everything I found within those canyons.  It was a great escape for me in my childhood and a great way to express my creativity and sense of adventure.  As I got older I continued to explore locally.  My friends at the time didntl understand my need to be outdoors in the "dirt" as they'd say.  I live in a coastal city so the beach was about as dirty as most wanted to get.  Well, that and a trip to the ski resorts several hours away.  I was more interested in what Robert Frost relayed in his poem "The Road Not Taken", yet for me it was two roads diverge within the city.  I have always loved being out on the trail.  I've taken my kids out since they were very young.  When friends or family would ask "Whats the draw?" I'd say peace is out there.

They'd always inquire "how do I get started hiking"?  I used to tell them just start.  Find a trail or outdoor environment to explore.  Seems most make getting out much too complicated.  I tell most just get started simply.  While I love to talk gear and preparedness for going out on the trail I also mostly like to encourage people to go. 

So, that being said.  My adventure story begins at the tail head.  Adventure begins just off the road......

Great advice and a good philosophy on exploring :cheers:
Micro adventures can be lots of fun :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: August 24, 2020, 08:29:32 PM
RP -- great Adventure post!  While octopi are marvelous creatures....they also taste good.... :drool:

Aloha -- So glad you included Ang Tharkay. The Sherpas are the real heroes of the Himalayas. And great Adventure post, too. I agree, get out and walk!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: August 24, 2020, 08:30:20 PM

1. RF52 -- Wild Man
5. Mechanickal — Wilderness knife post
8. ReamerPunch — Adventure photo
9. Aloha — Wild Man
10. Aloha — Adventure photo

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #51 on: August 24, 2020, 08:36:28 PM
Thank you for this awesome giveaway Nix  :hatsoff:.

Don't know if I'll join just yet, but I will enjoy all the pics posted here  ;).

Adventure photo:

Hey, what are you doing in my happy place...? :twak:

Austria and Switzerland, both have a special place in my heart.

And I hope Misses Mechanickal her lungs will get better in time.

I've had pneumonia in March and I still feel the effects of it after 5 minutes of running, or when we're climbing a hill during a hike, or when I'm pushing myself a bit during a mountainbike ride...

Guess lungs just need some more time to recover...

Best of luck to both of you my friend  :cheers:.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: August 24, 2020, 09:34:00 PM
As for my Wilderness knife.  I have one knife that always goes on my hip when I'm camping.  I got it from a member and initially I set it aside.  It doesn't have any marking as to who the maker is or what steel it is but I was told it is a Landi.  I finally brought it on a trip out camping several years ago but the edge disappointed.  When I returned I took it to my stones and did a convex edge with no micro bevel.  I believe the steel is O1/A2 the more I played with it.  I doesn't behave as 1095 at all.  The handle I believe is Micarta with g10 liners  :dunno:

The OAL is 9.5 inches.

Blade length is 5 inches to the handle with a cutting edge of 4 3/4 inches.  My sweet spot for an outdoor knife.

At 1/4 inch its study enough to baton if needed. 

The balance of the knife is at the the front of the handle, which suits me fine.

The handle material is very polished and thin-ish.  I enjoy the feel in hand as there are no hot spots and the handle fits my hand with just the lanyard peeking out.  Towards the front of the handle theres a slight pinched area which suits getting further up on the knife in a pinch grip.  I enjoy the green liners a lot.

The blade has some patina from use but I store it with some oil when not in use.  The spine isn't sharp but it will throw sparks from my ferro rod.  Its a drop point which looks great to me.  I don't know how much it weighs tho noticeable on my belt and in hand. 

The sheath is Kydex which I added paracord and ranger bands to secure a belt loop and sheath which I carry my fire it and ferro rod.   

Its been a fun package to add to my belt when I hit the camp site and a knife I'd trust in any outdoor situation.   

IMG_1199.jpg
* IMG_1199.jpg (Filesize: 306.78 KB)
IMG_1200.jpg
* IMG_1200.jpg (Filesize: 321.19 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #53 on: August 24, 2020, 10:03:48 PM
Sos24 Wild Man

After considering a few more traditional choices, I decided to go with Karen Darke.  She is a unique and inspiring adventurer.  She has completed multiple adventures to include skiing across icecaps in Greenland, sea kayaking in Canada, climbing El Capitan and handcycling the world’s biggest mountain ranges and longest rivers on six of the seven continents.  A trip across Antartica is scheduled for 2022.  She is also a paralympian After a tragic accident, left her paralyzed at the age of 21, she decided to “See life as a giant adventure, to learn and grow with, and seek the gifts that hide within the challenge”.

https://www.karendarke.com/

se Offline RF52

Reply #54 on: August 24, 2020, 10:06:12 PM
As for my Wilderness knife.  I have one knife that always goes on my hip when I'm camping.  I got it from a member and initially I set it aside.  It doesn't have any marking as to who the maker is or what steel it is but I was told it is a Landi.  I finally brought it on a trip out camping several years ago but the edge disappointed.  When I returned I took it to my stones and did a convex edge with no micro bevel.  I believe the steel is O1/A2 the more I played with it.  I doesn't behave as 1095 at all.  The handle I believe is Micarta with g10 liners  :dunno:

The OAL is 9.5 inches.

Blade length is 5 inches to the handle with a cutting edge of 4 3/4 inches.  My sweet spot for an outdoor knife.

The balance of the knife is at the the front of the handle, which suits me fine.

The handle material is very polished and thin-ish.  I enjoy the feel in hand as there are no hot spots and the handle fits my hand with just the lanyard peeking out.  Towards the front of the handle theres a slight pinched area which suits getting further up on the knife in a pinch grip.  I enjoy the green liners a lot.

The blade has some patina from use but I store it with some oil when not in use.  The spine isn't sharp but it will throw sparks from my ferro rod.  Its a drop point which looks great to me.  I don't know how much it weighs tho noticeable on my belt and in hand. 

The sheath is Kydex which I added paracord and ranger bands to secure a belt loop and sheath which I carry my fire it and ferro rod.   

Its been a fun package to add to my belt when I hit the camp site and a knife I'd trust in any outdoor situation.   

Good looking knife :like:
:iagree: on the green liners :tu:

se Offline RF52

Reply #55 on: August 24, 2020, 10:09:53 PM
Sos24 Wild Man

After considering a few more traditional choices, I decided to go with Karen Darke.  She is a unique and inspiring adventurer.  She has completed multiple adventures to include skiing across icecaps in Greenland, sea kayaking in Canada, climbing El Capitan and handcycling the world’s biggest mountain ranges and longest rivers on six of the seven continents.  A trip across Antartica is scheduled for 2022.  She is also a paralympian After a tragic accident, left her paralyzed at the age of 21, she decided to “See life as a giant adventure, to learn and grow with, and seek the gifts that hide within the challenge”.

https://www.karendarke.com/
Good choice! It's always impressive when people with handicaps have the drive to accomplish great adventures :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: August 24, 2020, 10:25:21 PM

The OAL is 9.5 inches.

:like:  Oooooh...I like it!  It looks like a Landi. I have a couple of Landis and they are built for adventure! John Landi is just a rock solid guy, who makes rock solid knives. (You might shoot him a photo and see if he recognizes his work?)

Regardless, that looks like a knife that will serve you well. Nice photo!  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: August 24, 2020, 10:29:01 PM

Holy cow!  How was I ignorant of this adventurer?!

The only thing I don't like about her is that she makes me feel like a lazy underachiever... :rofl: 

Thanks for bringing her to my attention. A truly inspiring person and definitely a "Wild Man"!  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: August 24, 2020, 10:30:00 PM

1. RF52 -- Wild Man
5. Mechanickal — Wilderness knife
8. ReamerPunch — Adventure photo
9. Aloha — Wild Man
10. Aloha — Adventure photo
11. Aloha — Wilderness knife post
12. Sos24 — Wild Man

us Offline Sos24

Reply #59 on: August 24, 2020, 11:06:02 PM
Sos24 Wilderness Knife

My choice is the Farmer X.
My wilderness is not as extreme as some people’s choice.  My trips tend to be more National and State parks with trails and set up areas.  So I do not really need a big knife or ax.  The Farmer X has all the tools I would normally need or want (saw, knife, scissor, opener layer to use as drivers and light prying, etc.  The Farmer X strikes a nice balance in size and weight being more robust than a 91mm, but smaller and lighter than the larger SAKs or MTs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%