Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wild Man Giveaway!

Nix · 359 · 13384

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Wild Man Giveaway!
Reply #60 on: August 24, 2020, 11:30:47 PM
Holy cow!  How was I ignorant of this adventurer?!

The only thing I don't like about her is that she makes me feel like a lazy underachiever... :rofl: 

Thanks for bringing her to my attention. A truly inspiring person and definitely a "Wild Man"!  :tu:

:iagree:   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: August 24, 2020, 11:34:07 PM
Great choice :hatsoff:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Thank you. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: August 24, 2020, 11:35:35 PM
Sos24 Wilderness Knife

My choice is the Farmer X.

That is a particularly fine example of the species...and I just selected the same model to use in the Nessmuk challenge!    :tu:  :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: August 24, 2020, 11:36:44 PM
Nix’s Official list of Wild Man GAW participants:

1. RF52 -- Wild Man
2. RF52 -- Adventure photo
3. RF52 -- Wilderness knife post
4. SOS24 — Adventure Photo
5. Mechanickal — Wilderness knife
6. Mechanickal — Adventure photo
7. ReamerPunch — Wild Man
8. ReamerPunch — Adventure photo
9. Aloha — Wild Man
10. Aloha — Adventure photo
11. Aloha — Wilderness knife post
12. Sos24 — Wild Man
13. Sos24 — Wilderness knife post

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: August 24, 2020, 11:37:03 PM
RP -- great Adventure post!  While octopi are marvelous creatures....they also taste good.... :drool:

Aloha -- So glad you included Ang Tharkay. The Sherpas are the real heroes of the Himalayas. And great Adventure post, too. I agree, get out and walk!

I couldn't agree more.  The Sherpas are quite amazing and some tend to get more praise than others for various reasons.  I'm sure many are just fine with that too. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: August 24, 2020, 11:41:30 PM
I'm just glad I don't have their jobs.....  :rofl:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #66 on: August 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM
My choice for the wild man / adventurer is a twofer.  I submit the Craighead Brothers, John and Frank.  These identical twin brothers were naturalists working for the U.S. Department of the Interior in the 1930's.  They are primarily known for studying Grizzly bears and birds of prey, but they also did studies on river ecology.  They were asked by the Department of the Navy in 1941 to create a survival manual for pilots in the Pacific. They wrote, "How to Survive on Land and Sea" which is still available from the Naval Institute Press. I bought a copy in a maritime museum gift shop when I was 11 or 12 years old and I still have it.  This book is important to me at a spiritual level. I learned more about the outdoors from the Craighead brothers than I did from the Boy Scout's Manual.  Here's a brief article about them.
https://missoulian.com/lifestyles/territory/craighead-wrote-key-survival-guide-that-helped-win-world-war-ii/article_5903c8b5-f80e-5080-9b17-f88fe77c624a.html
John and Frank Craighead.jpg
* John and Frank Craighead.jpg (Filesize: 98.73 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #67 on: August 25, 2020, 10:15:56 AM
My favorite wilderness knife or tool is a machete.  I have several to choose from. I've had one 18 inch Tramontina jungle cutlass type for 30 years and it is an extension of my arm when I use it because I am so familiar with it.  This CRKT "Half a Chance" parang in the picture is my newest. I've only had it for 3 or 4 years. Of course I will have knives and multitools with me but I absolutely won't go into the wilds without a machete. It is an indispensable survival tool as far as I am concerned.  I used to take Civil Air Patrol cadets into the Everglades for survival and navigation field training exercises and my machetes, especially the old Tramontina helped build dozens of fires, fish traps and shelters as well as delimbed and cut open numerous Saw Palmetto palms to get to the edible heart of palm at the core.  I haven't been on a field training exercise in years but I really miss those days.
P1110913.JPG
* P1110913.JPG (Filesize: 143.95 KB)

se Offline RF52

Reply #68 on: August 25, 2020, 11:51:51 AM
Great choices Alan :like:

se Offline RF52

Reply #69 on: August 25, 2020, 11:53:23 AM
Can't access the link because of the GDPR in Europe :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: August 25, 2020, 02:27:20 PM
I'm learning so much about such terrific adventurers.  Nice submission Alan.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: August 25, 2020, 02:29:02 PM

Hows this work https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_and_John_Craighead
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #72 on: August 25, 2020, 02:47:10 PM

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #73 on: August 25, 2020, 03:23:48 PM
What a great GAW idea!! :cheers:

This is my go to knife if I'm headed into the woods.  It's an old Buck 692 that I actually found in the woods when I was a kid.  It was REALLY dirty, and the brass was incredibly tarnished.  It managed to clean up very nice though, and even the sheath came nice and clean.
D6C72F7D.JPG
* D6C72F7D.JPG (Filesize: 410.52 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: August 25, 2020, 03:45:29 PM
 :ahhh

More outstanding entries!

Great stories, guys.

Alan, I completely agree with the machete choice. (Though I don't have a true machete at present.) Thanks for highlighting the Craighead brothers!

Derekmac: great find. Those Bucks are very nice!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #75 on: August 25, 2020, 03:45:53 PM

1. RF52 -- Wild Man
9. Aloha — Wild Man
12. Sos24 — Wild Man
14. Alan K. — Wild Man
15. Alan K. — Wilderness knife post
16. derekmac — Wilderness knife post

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: August 25, 2020, 04:05:48 PM
Thank you for this awesome giveaway Nix  :hatsoff:.

Don't know if I'll join just yet, but I will enjoy all the pics posted here  ;).

Hey, what are you doing in my happy place...? :twak:

Austria and Switzerland, both have a special place in my heart.

And I hope Misses Mechanickal her lungs will get better in time.

I've had pneumonia in March and I still feel the effects of it after 5 minutes of running, or when we're climbing a hill during a hike, or when I'm pushing myself a bit during a mountainbike ride...

Guess lungs just need some more time to recover...

Best of luck to both of you my friend  :cheers:.
Thanks alot mate.
When I'm home again, and the craziness has eased down, we should start discussing our next meetup ;) :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #77 on: August 25, 2020, 07:28:01 PM

Sorry about that. Here's the article in full, but without the pictures.

ANNE RAUGH KEENE for the Missoulian Aug 21, 2016 Updated Feb 13, 2018

The author of one of the most critical survival guides ever written for pilots and everyday hikers is a Missoula resident who recently celebrated his 100th birthday.

John Craighead and his late twin brother Frank devoted their careers to saving North America's rivers and the grizzly.

Unbeknownst to most ecologists and military veterans, the twins co-authored the flagship survival guide for pilots during World War II, which helped the Allies win the war.

The Brothers Wild, as the Washington Post termed them in 2007, gained worldwide acclaim as teenage correspondents for National Geographic, when they drove to the Tetons in a battered Chevrolet to photograph the secret life of birds of prey.

Growing up on the wooded banks of the Potomac River near Washington, D.C., the brothers used clothesline and hand-me-down metal spurs from telephone linemen to climb the tallest trees in the forest to study some of nature's most elusive creatures, such as prairie falcons and sparrow hawks.

At home in the great outdoors, fishing, hiking, rappelling, canoeing and snowshoeing were part of the twins' 2019 daily routine. They gathered edible plants and hunted to survive for weeks on any terrain or climate, be it a bone-dry desert, arctic mountain territory or an uninhabited island.

Meanwhile, as Allied fleets charged toward the Pacific, the majority of pilots and airmen were drowning and dying from crash landings and bailouts over oceans and unfamiliar terrain, with practically zero chance of survival without survival gear, radios and signal mirrors. When the U.S. Navy called the Craigheads in 1942 they were not only looking for expert outdoorsmen, officers also sought instructors with a psychological quality, fearlessness.

That year the notoriously intrepid twins were recruited as Navy ensigns at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, one of five elite pre-flight schools where competitive sports and rigorous outdoor training were used to condition fighter pilots before they took to the skies.

Designed by Naval Academy graduates, the 90-day course was widely considered as the toughest physical training program in the world. Using forests and rivers as training laboratories John and his brother, nicknamed "the beavers" wrote a survival guide titled "How to Survive on Land and Sea" in 1943.

In addition to self-preservation tips to enable downed fliers to eat and drink off the land and trek their way to civilization to rejoin the fight, the manual also provided psychological tactics that helped POWs survive for years in captivity.

Over the decades, "How to Survive on Land and Sea" has been edited and expanded for civilians. It reflects the twins' experiences in the Pacific and other exotic locales, from an atoll in the Marshall Islands to the snow-capped peaks of Mount Fuji. The one-stop survival manual still guides Boy Scouts, pilots, mariners, soldiers and novice hikers, most of whom never realizing how the book was inspired.

Decades before survival television shows dominated the media, John Craighead was interviewed by producers and writers who aimed to capture his timeless philosophies for survival in the wilderness, according to his son, John, of Missoula.

The U.S. Naval Institute reports that "How to Survive on Land and Sea" is still selling 73 years after it was published. The 90-day Pre-Flight School at Chapel Hill attracted fighter pilots including Red Sox great Ted Williams, future presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush (commissioned as the youngest naval aviator at the time), who was shot down in his Avenger torpedo bomber.

As John celebrated his 100th birthday, joining more than 50,000 centenarians in the United States, and the nation approaches the 75th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, it is a time to give thanks for his priceless contribution to the war effort that surely saved thousands of soldiers, airmen, mariners and explorers.

Anne Raugh Keene of Austin, Texas, is the granddaughter of a commander of the Naval Pre-Flight School at Chapel Hill during the war. She is chronicling the history of the U.S. Navy Pre-Flight Schools.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #78 on: August 25, 2020, 07:49:51 PM
Old Lefty - Wild man entry:
Sir Ranulph Fiennes

The man has done it all and seen it all with a true British bulldog attitude (yup, I have some anglophile tendencies).
Normally with a Land Rover somewhere in there ;)

The man has traveled the White Nile, found traces of the lost city of Iram, traveled the Northwest Passages, tried to reach North Pole solo, etc. etc.

Hence, I believe he deserves to be in any list looking for past/present/future wild men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

se Offline RF52

Reply #79 on: August 25, 2020, 07:50:13 PM
Sorry about that. Here's the article in full, but without the pictures.

ANNE RAUGH KEENE for the Missoulian Aug 21, 2016 Updated Feb 13, 2018

The author of one of the most critical survival guides ever written for pilots and everyday hikers is a Missoula resident who recently celebrated his 100th birthday.

John Craighead and his late twin brother Frank devoted their careers to saving North America's rivers and the grizzly.

Unbeknownst to most ecologists and military veterans, the twins co-authored the flagship survival guide for pilots during World War II, which helped the Allies win the war.

The Brothers Wild, as the Washington Post termed them in 2007, gained worldwide acclaim as teenage correspondents for National Geographic, when they drove to the Tetons in a battered Chevrolet to photograph the secret life of birds of prey.

Growing up on the wooded banks of the Potomac River near Washington, D.C., the brothers used clothesline and hand-me-down metal spurs from telephone linemen to climb the tallest trees in the forest to study some of nature's most elusive creatures, such as prairie falcons and sparrow hawks.

At home in the great outdoors, fishing, hiking, rappelling, canoeing and snowshoeing were part of the twins' 2019 daily routine. They gathered edible plants and hunted to survive for weeks on any terrain or climate, be it a bone-dry desert, arctic mountain territory or an uninhabited island.

Meanwhile, as Allied fleets charged toward the Pacific, the majority of pilots and airmen were drowning and dying from crash landings and bailouts over oceans and unfamiliar terrain, with practically zero chance of survival without survival gear, radios and signal mirrors. When the U.S. Navy called the Craigheads in 1942 they were not only looking for expert outdoorsmen, officers also sought instructors with a psychological quality, fearlessness.

That year the notoriously intrepid twins were recruited as Navy ensigns at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, one of five elite pre-flight schools where competitive sports and rigorous outdoor training were used to condition fighter pilots before they took to the skies.

Designed by Naval Academy graduates, the 90-day course was widely considered as the toughest physical training program in the world. Using forests and rivers as training laboratories John and his brother, nicknamed "the beavers" wrote a survival guide titled "How to Survive on Land and Sea" in 1943.

In addition to self-preservation tips to enable downed fliers to eat and drink off the land and trek their way to civilization to rejoin the fight, the manual also provided psychological tactics that helped POWs survive for years in captivity.

Over the decades, "How to Survive on Land and Sea" has been edited and expanded for civilians. It reflects the twins' experiences in the Pacific and other exotic locales, from an atoll in the Marshall Islands to the snow-capped peaks of Mount Fuji. The one-stop survival manual still guides Boy Scouts, pilots, mariners, soldiers and novice hikers, most of whom never realizing how the book was inspired.

Decades before survival television shows dominated the media, John Craighead was interviewed by producers and writers who aimed to capture his timeless philosophies for survival in the wilderness, according to his son, John, of Missoula.

The U.S. Naval Institute reports that "How to Survive on Land and Sea" is still selling 73 years after it was published. The 90-day Pre-Flight School at Chapel Hill attracted fighter pilots including Red Sox great Ted Williams, future presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush (commissioned as the youngest naval aviator at the time), who was shot down in his Avenger torpedo bomber.

As John celebrated his 100th birthday, joining more than 50,000 centenarians in the United States, and the nation approaches the 75th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, it is a time to give thanks for his priceless contribution to the war effort that surely saved thousands of soldiers, airmen, mariners and explorers.

Anne Raugh Keene of Austin, Texas, is the granddaughter of a commander of the Naval Pre-Flight School at Chapel Hill during the war. She is chronicling the history of the U.S. Navy Pre-Flight Schools.
Thanks Alan :hatsoff:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #80 on: August 25, 2020, 08:05:32 PM
An adventure photo is harder to come by. Most of my pictures were lost or destroyed years ago and my best adventures were not widely photographed at all.  Here is a spot that is dear to my heart and I took the picture myself just a couple of years ago.  It is the birth place of adventure, The Atlantic Ocean.  This amazingly empty stretch of pristine beach is in Florida. There must have been at least 10 people within half a mile of me.  I hate crowds.  I could tell you where this is, but then it might get really crowded. Just kidding, it is in Fort Pierce.
P1110096.JPG
* P1110096.JPG (Filesize: 122.15 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: August 25, 2020, 08:23:24 PM
 :rofl:

That'll work!

(I ordered a used copy of the Craigheads' book. 4th edition. Seems like a good book to have and read for a number of reasons!)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: August 25, 2020, 08:24:36 PM

1. RF52 -- Wild Man
9. Aloha — Wild Man
12. Sos24 — Wild Man
14. Alan K. — Wild Man
15. Alan K. — Wilderness knife post
16. derekmac — Wilderness knife post
17. Old Lefty — Wild Man
18. Alan K. — Adventure photo

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: August 25, 2020, 08:26:59 PM
Lefty, Fiennes is a great choice of Wild Man. He was a character! Military career, Polar explorer, and I believe he climbed Everest!  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: August 25, 2020, 08:30:12 PM
Oh, just a reminder for those who haven't entered an Adventure photo yet: the photo does not have to be from long past. If you don't have an Adventure photo now, go out and make one!  :tu:

(I was hoping to do just that today, but we're choking in wildfire smoke, so I'm staying inside.)

With all the great Wild Man entries, my reading list is becoming a bit longer......  :rofl:

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #85 on: August 25, 2020, 08:36:29 PM
Lefty, Fiennes is a great choice of Wild Man. He was a character! Military career, Polar explorer, and I believe he climbed Everest!  :tu:
Yup, in '09 or 10 I think.
BTW, he is still a character. Alive and kicking, or running to be more precise. I think he might still train and compete in fell running.

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

se Offline RF52

Reply #86 on: August 25, 2020, 08:45:27 PM
Oh, just a reminder for those who haven't entered an Adventure photo yet: the photo does not have to be from long past. If you don't have an Adventure photo now, go out and make one!  :tu:

(I was hoping to do just that today, but we're choking in wildfire smoke, so I'm staying inside.)

With all the great Wild Man entries, my reading list is becoming a bit longer......  :rofl:
Hope the fire isn't to close!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #87 on: August 25, 2020, 08:47:02 PM
Hope the fire isn't to close!

Not at the moment...  :-\

se Offline RF52

Reply #88 on: August 25, 2020, 08:48:13 PM