Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

VSAK Mini Screwdriver available in Philips? 1080

Full Member Posts: 107
VSAK Mini Screwdriver available in Philips?
« on: August 26, 2020, 06:33:03 PM »
Is there a VSAK Mini Screwdriver availble, that fits in the Corkscrew, that is a Philips Head rather than a Flat/Slotted Head?
Or does anyone know of a way to customize a VSAK Mini Screwdriver to be a Philips Head instead of a Flat Head?
I find that many of my eyeglasses require Philips rather than flat/slotted. 
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,604 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: VSAK Mini Screwdriver available in Philips?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 07:51:30 PM »
I seem to recall someone making a mini philips/flat SD. He used the plastic part of the Vic mini SD and inserted a double mini bit from a Leatherman Wave into it.

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Hero Member Posts: 721 Queen's Venturer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
I did that. It was more effort than it was worth, because I invariably used the slot side anyway. It's absolutely possible, though.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 08:17:43 PM »
I did that. It was more effort than it was worth, because I invariably used the slot side anyway. It's absolutely possible, though.

Still, it was a good idea and the final result was great. That's why I remembered.

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 4,829
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 09:52:27 PM »
Still, it was a good idea and the final result was great. That's why I remembered.

:agree:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 10:00:35 PM »
Thanks for the repies, everyone!
Jothra, how difficult was it to remove the flathead from the plastic body, then replace it with the philips?   Can it just be pulled out?  Do you have any specific advice or photos on how you did that?  Or, is there a link to your thread about it here on the forum?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 12:47:02 AM »
Jothra, how difficult was it to remove the flathead from the plastic body, then replace it with the philips?   Can it just be pulled out?  Do you have any specific advice or photos on how you did that?  Or, is there a link to your thread about it here on the forum?

I knew it was here somewhere. I don't think I ever posted any pictures, but after a little Search Fu, I found this thread from 2013, and in particular my description quoted below.

Using two Leatherman pliers, I twisted and pulled the shaft out of a Victorinox glasses screwdriver. Then I reamed the hole out a little, cut a little off of the other end, then carefully widened the hole all the way through until it was big enough for a Leatherman dual-ended glasses bit. A little superglue, slide the bit through until centred, and presto!

It worked well for years, and I'm sure it's still a great tool under the enormous juniper patch it's lost in.

I gripped the threads with one needlenose Leatherman, and brute forced the driver tip out with a second Leatherman.

Credit where credit is due: enki_ck posted a much prettier mod in that same thread.

As a historical sidenote, when I lost that one, I never bothered performing the mod a second time. Several years later, long after I'd moved from construction into teaching, a co-worker actually found that missing Huntsman while removing the juniper. The corkscrew driver mod was a tad on the rusty side.

In the middle of typing this post, I thought of an easier way of removing the driver tip than I used last time, and will document the surgery, with photos, in another post below.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 01:07:37 AM »
Okay, forget what you've been told in the past. Here's the easy way (and why wouldn't we want to do it the easy way?)

First, find a Victorinox corkscrew driver. Oh, look! There's a brand-new one in my '82 Explorer!

Find a nice, sharp knife (I could have used the Explorer I was just holding, but autopilot kicked in and I used my Farmer X). Use your knife to cut around the end of the plastic piece. Take off the taper, and maybe a couple millimetres extra.

You've probably already guessed the final step. Pull the cut-off end, and the driver will come with it.

Doing it this way solves basically every sizing and fit issue I had to fix on my old one, because it won't deform the remaining driver housing the way brute force did. I don't have a Leatherman mini-driver right now, but that part's pretty easy and intuitive. I may have to see if I can scrounge one up just for the fun of it now.
No Life Club Posts: 1,591
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 07:13:15 AM »
My experience is that the factory mini-screwdriver seems to be a functional flat Philips.  If this isn't the case for your particular Philips screws, the easiest resolution may be simply re-profiling the tip of the existing mini-screwdriver to better fit your application.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 08:30:53 AM »
I forgot to say thanks, jph_777, for giving me something fun to do after an unusually tedious workday!
Hero Member Posts: 978
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 03:34:32 PM »
Jothra, your second version looks like a brilliant idea - if you slide and glue the Leatherman (or other) two ended bit in so that both ends are still accessible, you’ll have both bases covered with one tool - the grey housing should be able to go lower on the corkscrew since you’ve cut the stop off - genius! Wish I’d thought of it! :hatsoff: :like: :like:
Global Moderator No Life Club Posts: 3,323
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 04:28:14 PM »
Great work guys

But this is soooooooo something that Vic should do ..... eh?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »
Great work guys

But this is soooooooo something that Vic should do ..... eh?

Yeah, I bet the team working on scissors for 84mm SAKs is on it, too...

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 08:12:11 PM »
It's almost enough to make a guy start carrying a tool with a corkscrew again. Almost.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 10:03:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their feedback and suggestions!  Jothra, I'm going to try out your method within the next few days to see what I can come up with.  I am using a two ended screwdriver provided by Zenni Optical with their eyeglasses.  It's too long to use, so I have to cut the philips end to the appropriate length.  How long is the Leatherman Eyeglass bit?  Does it fit within the corkscrew without cutting it shorter?  Maybe I should order some of those.  I'll let you know how this turns out.  Thanks again!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 01:48:27 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their feedback and suggestions!  Jothra, I'm going to try out your method within the next few days to see what I can come up with.  I am using a two ended screwdriver provided by Zenni Optical with their eyeglasses.  It's too long to use, so I have to cut the philips end to the appropriate length.  How long is the Leatherman Eyeglass bit?  Does it fit within the corkscrew without cutting it shorter?  Maybe I should order some of those.  I'll let you know how this turns out.  Thanks again!

The Leatherman bit fits without any cutting.

Edit to add: have fun!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 05:22:19 PM »
Thanks again Jothra!   :salute:  I followed your advice on removing the original screwdriver shaft.  It worked really well.  Then I cut down the mini philips shaft I had available to the longest length that would fit in the SAK's corkscrew.  I inserted it into the SD handle.  For a final touch, I glued the tip that was cut off of the screwdriver handle back on, to give a more finished look (see photos).  I was off by a hair on realigning it, so I sanded it a bit to get it to look a little better.  Next time, I think I will draw an index mark through the cut before separating the pieces, so I can realign them more easily.
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 05:28:45 PM »
Thanks again Jothra!   :salute:  I followed your advice on removing the original screwdriver shaft.  It worked really well.  Then I cut down the mini philips shaft I had available to the longest length that would fit in the SAK's corkscrew.  I inserted it into the SD handle.  For a final touch, I glued the tip that was cut off of the screwdriver handle back on, to give a more finished look (see photos).  I was off by a hair on realigning it, so I sanded it a bit to get it to look a little better.  Next time, I think I will draw an index mark through the cut before separating the pieces, so I can realign them more easily.

Well, too late now, but... if, instead of cutting the new bit, you just had it go through the plastic handle, so both ends sticked out, you could have ended with a double mini SD.

:-[

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 06:48:21 PM »
Well, too late now, but... if, instead of cutting the new bit, you just had it go through the plastic handle, so both ends sticked out, you could have ended with a double mini SD.

:-[
I am using a two ended screwdriver provided by Zenni Optical with their eyeglasses.  It's too long to use, so I have to cut the philips end to the appropriate length.

Nice job, jph! Reattaching the end is a nice touch.
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 05:51:44 PM »
Jothra and pfrsantos, Thanks again for the advice and ideas on making a double-ended mini screwdriver for the corkscrew (a mini philips on one end, and a mini slotted on other end).

Photos below show steps taken to make one with a slightly different approach, using sandpaper instead of a knife to remove the end of the plastic handle (using 60, 100, and 220 grit sandpaper).

Materials needed:  an original VSAK mini-screwdriver, a Leatherman Eyeglass Bit, Sandpaper, pliers and a hammer.

Photo #1:  Top to bottom:  Shows the original mini SD, a mini SD with the top sanded down to the point that it hits the top of the metal shaft, and a metal shaft after being removed from the handle.  Once you see the flattened end of the shaft like this, it will be relatively easy to tap the shaft out of the handle.

Photo #2:  Shows relative length of the black Leatherman Eyeglass Bit to the original mini SD.  At the top is the sanded down plastic handle after extracting the original bit.

Photo #3:  Shows the Leatherman Eyeglass Bit press fitted into the sanded down plastic handle, next to an original VSAK mini screwdriver.

Photo #4:  Shows the resulting double-ended SD nestled into the VSAK corkscrew.  The length of the Leatherman Eyeglass Bit makes it a tight fit once the corkscrew is closed, especially if you have “Plus” Scales with a stainless straight pin inserted, so it is important to position it carefully before snapping the corkscrew shut, in order to not damage the SD tips.

To extract the bit from the original SD, after sanding down the tip of the plastic handle sufficiently, I turned the mini SD upside down over a small hole in a piece of wood (the bit pointing upward).  With a hammer, I just tapped on the tip of the bit to drive it out through the plastic head into the hole in the wood.  Then I used pliers to pull the tip the rest of the way out, with little resistance.

Inserting the Leatherman Eyeglass Bit was very easy, and makes a nice tight pressure fit.

Clicking on the photos will open a larger version.
Hero Member Posts: 978
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 08:56:11 PM »
That’s great work! :hatsoff: :like:
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2020, 10:57:32 PM »
That looks great! It's like the old one I made, only nice and clean.

And tacticool black!

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Full Member Posts: 237 The SAK Also Rises
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2020, 02:24:11 AM »
A window may have opened on turning the cork screw screw driver into a multi tool nested in a multi tool!

He had decided none of it was true, except what he carried with him everyday.-—SgtTowser
Global Moderator No Life Club Posts: 3,323
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2020, 04:28:42 AM »
 :like:    :iagree:    :D 

Putting a link to this thread in the SAK mod stickie thread - Will be useful for others - Thanks everyone for your contributions
No Life Club Posts: 4,394
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 05:42:55 AM »
In my opinion, if your SAK already has scissors, it's a good case for the Rally. And, if not, Rambler or MiniChamp are good add-ons. The Phillips fits Phillips screws that are smaller than the ones the eyeglass bit can handle.
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 05:47:51 AM »
In my opinion, if your SAK already has scissors, it's a good case for the Rally. And, if not, Rambler or MiniChamp are good add-ons. The Phillips fits Phillips screws that are smaller than the ones the eyeglass bit can handle.
The Rally will never fit in my corkscrew.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2020, 04:13:46 PM »
I thought all the Leatherman mini glasses bits were black.

They are. Don't make them less tacticool, though...

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $109.46
PayPal Fees: $6.30
Net Balance: $103.16
Below Goal: $196.84
Site Currency: USD