Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Proper Names for Proper Tools on SAKs

00 Offline SgtTowser

Proper Names for Proper Tools on SAKs
on: August 31, 2020, 09:01:23 PM
Is this properly called a “nail file,” or a “match strike”?

I ask, because I recall men back in the 1970s frequently calling it a match strike, but some where along the line it came to be called a nail file. When I was young, men said a nail file extended to the edge of a blade, and a match strike had a border around it. I am wondering if in the anti-smoking era that the match strike was rebranded a nail file. I know one thing: a nail file with a border does not work as well for my finger nails as a nail file without a border.

Are there any wise old SAK knights with memory function in tact that could clear this up for me.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: Proper Names for Proper Tools on SAKs
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 09:31:10 PM
Interesting question.  We know that once pharmaceutical reps were prohibited from giving away branded MiniChamps with the pharmaceutical spatula, that tool became known as the cuticle pusher.

Having never pushed my cuticles or filed my nails outside of the privacy of my home, I have to wonder if the older variation of the file which has a less agressive surface was indeed meant for something else.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 11:51:26 PM
powernoodle,

that definitely clarifies the current name as nail file/nail cleaner. Thx.

eleven blade,

Really interesting about the minichamp’s pharmaceutical blade name migrating to cuticle pusher. Thx!

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 08:07:48 PM
What is the proper definition of a layer on a SAK?

Is a layer defined as the space between two liners?

Or is a layer defined as the number of tools stacked vertically between two liners?

It is clear that two tools, each taking half the horizontal space between two liners, is counted as a layer (e.g, the non overlapping can opener and cap lifter at opposites ends of a space between two liners, or the partly overlapping small and large blade at opposite ends, and and the non overlapping inline Phillips driver and the magnifier opposing).

But on my Vic Champion Plus, a wood saw and a fish scaler are stacked vertically between two liners. Is this  considered one layer, or two?

What is the definition of a layer?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 08:13:59 PM by SgtTowser »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 09:07:49 PM
Generally, I think a separate backspring constitutes a layer. The main exception to that is in the Cybertool, where it has two backsprings for one layer.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%