Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool to replace spacer on Fuse?

jzmtl · 10 · 2012

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Tool to replace spacer on Fuse?
on: January 10, 2009, 02:54:08 AM
If there one thing I hate it's spacers on MT, and there is one on fuse. Anybody ever tried to replace the spacer, and maybe keyring with something else? A long tool won't fit since plier head is in the way, but perhaps an awl? I want to replace it but not sure what will fit, or where to get the parts/tool to disassemble.

us Offline Tsquare

Re: Tool to replace spacer on Fuse?
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:03:39 AM
    I had an idea to remove the spacer on a fuse take the scissors from the other side, place them where the spacer and keyring were and put a long tool such as a file or saw where the scissors were.  I have not tried it yet but I studied it and I think it will work.  What my plan is will involve taking apart a blast for parts, doing the above modification with a saw and using the scissors from the blast and putting them on a kick and adding a pocket clip.  Hope this helps get the creative juices flowing. 

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:38:17 AM
I thought about the scissor too, but that seems really close on fit or not, only way to find out is to try I suppose. I wonder if an awl from surge would fit in there directly.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:53:22 AM
Hehe, notice anything different?

Just waiting on the sog file blade for next step. Although the last time I ordered components it took SOG two weeks to just ship it, so this time I'm not holding my breath.
DSCN1968.jpg
* DSCN1968.jpg (Filesize: 57.72 KB)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:55:03 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:38:23 AM
Okay, I see you've switched some of the tools around. Was that to make an arrangement that allows the long file to fit?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:46:42 AM
Yep. There are two long tool slots on fuse are occupied by scissor and blade. The scissor will in fact fit in the short tool slot that was occupied by lanyard ring and spacer with very minor modification. Now the lanyard ring and spacer takes up one of the long tool slot waiting for the SOG file to be fitted.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 05:37:51 AM
Heck yah I think that should work fine!  In retrospect it seems pretty obvious that Leatherman could have included another tool on the Fuse no problem. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:55:15 AM
I always saw the tool selection on the Fuse as a marketing decision rather than a functional one. Almost as though they agreed what the Kick and the Blast should be, then "split the difference" for the Fuse, purely to have a mid priced option.

Having said that, I do find the Fuse a decent enough tool in it's own right, purely because it's a bit more pocketable than the Blast.
I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 12:21:45 PM
I think Dave must be right.  If they had put a file on the Fuse it would surely have impacted on the sales of the Blast. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 05:49:16 PM
I think Dave must be right.  If they had put a file on the Fuse it would surely have impacted on the sales of the Blast. 

I hate "marketing" decisions >:(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%