Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ambassador and Executive (74mm models) Discontinued?

Altis · 16 · 1875

ca Offline Altis

on: October 05, 2020, 08:30:29 AM
(Forgive me if this has already been around -- didn't see it in the past month's posts)

It looks like both 74mm Ambassador and Executive have been discontinued, leaving only the Money Clip as the last 74mm in production.

Not enough love for the 74mm I suppose? They do seem a bit niche, being not as robust as an 84/91mm blades, nor as compact as the 58mm.

Ordered an executive in black off Amazon to have a 74mm in the collection (will probably get a Money Clip at some point as well).

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 08:52:43 AM
(Forgive me if this has already been around -- didn't see it in the past month's posts)

It looks like both 74mm Ambassador and Executive have been discontinued, leaving only the Money Clip as the last 74mm in production.

Not enough love for the 74mm I suppose? They do seem a bit niche, being not as robust as an 84/91mm blades, nor as compact as the 58mm.

Ordered an executive in black off Amazon to have a 74mm in the collection (will probably get a Money Clip at some point as well).
Really? Interesting Altis. Funnily enough I had a feeling they may go like the 84mm scissor models but had no real reason for that, apparently the required machine for the scissors on the 84’s was damaged (someone here will know properly) so I wonder why :think:
Pure coincidence but ordered what the Amazon seller said was their last ambassador on Saturday, glad I did now :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline Altis

Re: Ambassador and Executive (74mm models) Discontinued?
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 10:29:12 AM
Really? Interesting Altis. Funnily enough I had a feeling they may go like the 84mm scissor models but had no real reason for that, apparently the required machine for the scissors on the 84’s was damaged (someone here will know properly) so I wonder why :think:
Pure coincidence but ordered what the Amazon seller said was their last ambassador on Saturday, glad I did now :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm makes me wonder if the 74mm models use the same scissors as the 84mm. Could have to do with why... though the Money Clip still shows as normal for now. I wonder if that will be next on the chopping block as that also uses the same scissors.

Might have to pick one up sooner than I anticipated!

Good call on picking up the Ambassador.  :cheers:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 10:47:33 AM
Hmm makes me wonder if the 74mm models use the same scissors as the 84mm. Could have to do with why... though the Money Clip still shows as normal for now. I wonder if that will be next on the chopping block as that also uses the same scissors.

Might have to pick one up sooner than I anticipated!

Good call on picking up the Ambassador.  :cheers:
I think the scissors are a bit smaller than the 84’s but quite a bit larger than the 58’s, saw a YouTube comparison video of all of them including 91’s (which I’ve just looked for and can’t find annoyingly) which was one of the reasons I went for the ambassador.

Went for that over the executive as I’m getting it for the scissors over anything else as will continue to carry my fave 84’s - cadet/bantam, waiter too.
Like something really slim for edc but miss the scissors. I do carry the compact a lot and also climber, my two other main edc’s. Take huntsman or hiker when bush walking. Use the saws a lot in the garden as well. My blue farmer x feels too nice to use in the yard so is a bit of a shelf queen at the moment but can see that being a great bush knife. :cheers:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 10:58:40 AM
That would be a shame.  I love my Ambassador but will admit I traded away my Executive.  Scissors on the 74mm are a fraction bigger than the 58mm ones and quite a bit smaller than the 84mm.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 11:09:09 AM
Here's an old piece I wrote about the Ambassador that has a comparison pic of the scissors sizes.

https://www.swissarmyknights.com/articles/2009/august-2009/458-ambassador

au Offline Echotech

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 11:18:28 AM
Here's an old piece I wrote about the Ambassador that has a comparison pic of the scissors sizes.

https://www.swissarmyknights.com/articles/2009/august-2009/458-ambassador
Perfect article for me, thanks Gareth, think the scissors will be just that bit more than I get from my keychain manager which is what I’m after.
I was just admiring your cream white golfer/farmer (best match I can think of, apologies if I’m quite wrong!) on another thread. Golfer or voyageur even better would suit me well, but the prices!

:tu: :hatsoff:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 11:36:28 AM
Perfect article for me, thanks Gareth, think the scissors will be just that bit more than I get from my keychain manager which is what I’m after.
I was just admiring your cream white golfer/farmer (best match I can think of, apologies if I’m quite wrong!) on another thread. Golfer or voyageur even better would suit me well, but the prices!

:tu: :hatsoff:

Cheers buddy.  Yeah, I couldn't justify a Golfer these days either!  8 or so years ago they were easier to get a hold off and a lot less pricey. 

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 12:51:43 PM
That would be interesting

Maybe with the Delemonts they feel they have coverage.

May I ask why you think they are discontinued ?  ???
They are still on the Vic.com.au site - I cannot get through to the .com site right now!!

BTW - Nice article Gareth - Not seen that one before!  :tu:

The Wiki has a similar size comparison photo:
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Scissors

au Offline Echotech

Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 12:57:46 PM

They are still on the Vic.com.au site - I cannot get through to the .com site right now!!

I think we’re being forced to the Australian site Huntsman which is annoying as the selection isn’t as good as the US and other sites, I keep getting forwarded for last few days. I’ve had to resort to using a VPN and even then I was forwarded to the Oz site a couple of times, new licensing rules maybe :dunno:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 10:46:49 PM

They've both been removed from the Canadian store at least.

This thread over at Reddit suggests Victorinox confirmed the Executive (74mm) being discontinued, which seems to match up with what we're seeing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/victorinox/comments/j2eqxu/executive_discontinued/

They didn't enquire about the Ambassador but as they're very similar builds and both have been removed, I suspect both of them are discontinued. I'm trying to see if anyone has any more information or confirmation about it but I didn't see any word around here so I figured at least as a heads up in case someone wants these models eventually.  :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 11:23:55 PM

Interesting that since I wrote that they keyring has become a 100% standard feature on the Ambassador.  Not saying that I had anything to do with that change of course, but a chap can imagine.  :D

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 12:42:54 AM
I am sure it was down to you Gareth   ;)

I pointed out an error in their website recently -
They had called the glass saw in the Rescue Tool the Disc Saw - which they told me was a translation error   :o  ... that has been around for 10 years - I guess!
Made me feel good - The website was not corrected for a while - But looks like it has been now   :tu:
BTW - I did not know you were Superuser @ The Knights - I always thought that was Def - Or are there a few of you?    :think:

On the 74mms - Thanks for checking it out Altis - So it's confirmed by Vic - Wow.
Interesting as the Wiki has some speculation (on the Exec page) about discontinuation from years ago!!
Kind of the end of an era - And the end of the infamous Orange Peeler -  :cry:
Although you'd think if they discon'd the Exec and Ambassador - that they'd discon the whole family including the Money Clip.

Oh and I managed to get through to the .com site and both are still there as of now
The catalogue on the website is still the one from 2017 - So that is not much help!!

:cheers:   all     :climber:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 07:06:07 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 12:56:32 AM
I read the title of this thread and panicked....

Ordered an new Ambassador from the big river..... * phew *

In my opinion the Ambassador is the most underrated SAK in the line. Great little...but not too little knife.   :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 04:13:51 AM
Whew....that really would have been bad news. 
Barry

ca Offline Altis

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 06:16:56 AM
Whew....that really would have been bad news.

It seems to be the case, though... ?

The good news is it's very recent so there's still stock to pick them up.  :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%