Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Daredevil Challenge 2021

comis · 1327 · 37016

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Daredevil Challenge 2021
on: October 15, 2020, 07:03:15 PM

Welcome to the Daredevil Challenge!

Let's face it, it is always easy to carry your usual EDC or favorite tool for a monthly challenge, it literally is just a stroll in the park... :whistle:

But somewhere in our arsenals, there is this piece of gear we always wanted to love but the chemistry just wasn't there... a tool that everybody loves and praises, but you just can't click with it and regret buying...or even an inexpensive(but not crappy) tool you fear once you fall in love with, you can't justify all the money you have spent on expensive tools(!) :o

In this challenge, each of us will carry one(1) Pliers-based or Non-pliers multitool that we always have prejudice against, hate or even fear for 30 days straight--let's see we would learn something new about the tool or ourselves, and if we will see things differently after the challenge.

Rules:

1) Be honest.  "We do this challenge not because it's easy, because it is hard!" :mn:   Let's pick something you always regret buying, something that is at the opposite spectrum of what you usually will carry, or something that supposed to be somewhat valuable, but since you don't care for it, you may even willing to just give it away.

2) No rotation.  Once chosen the tool at the beginning of the month, participant should always try to use the chosen tool first and foremost for the entire 30 days challenge, unless your task exceeds the capacity of the tool or it is work related.

3) Post a photo of the chosen tool everyday for 30 days during the month of challenge.  Share with us what you discover of this strange yet familiar tool, and how is it different from what you usually EDC. :think:

4) While many would have hated the poorly made crappy tool, this doesn't mean we should rush out and get the crappiest tool on the market to participate.  On the other hand, one (wo)man's trash could totally be another (wo)man's treasure--instead of being of judgmental of what others have chosen, please focus on facing your own demon >:D and let's help each other to find the best of our tools, if not ourselves.

5) Have Fun!!!!!

And some of you probably would have guessed--I am a secret Fridge magnets addict, so I too will design and giveaway free magnets to those whom have completed this challenge...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:28:39 PM by comis »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Daredevil Challenge 2021
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 07:04:29 PM

If we don't have too many objections, I would like to set this challenge in August 2021.

Daredevil Challenge August 2021
01 Comis
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:30:56 PM by comis »

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 07:38:18 PM
01 Comis
02 RF52

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 07:45:58 PM
RF52, great to have you!  :cheers: :D

se Offline RF52

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 07:48:29 PM
I have just the tool in mind as well :tu:
It's been a lot of cool challenges recently, glad that is continuing next year :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 07:50:22 PM
Welcome to the Daredevil Challenge!
(Image removed from quote.)
Let's face it, it is always easy to carry your usual EDC or favorite tool for a monthly challenge, it literally is just a stroll in the park... :whistle:

But somewhere in our arsenals, there is this piece of gear we always wanted to love but the chemistry just wasn't there... a tool that everybody loves and praises, but you just can't click with it and regret buying...or even an inexpensive(but not crappy) tool you fear once you fall in love with, you can't justify all the money you have spent on expensive tools(!) :o

In this challenge, each of us will carry one(1) Pliers-based or Non-pliers multitool that we always have prejudice against, hate or even fear for 30 days straight--let's see we would learn something new about the tool or ourselves, and if we will see things differently after the challenge.

Rules:

1) Be honest.  "We do this challenge not because it's easy, because it is hard!" :mn:   Let's pick something you always regret buying, something that is at the opposite spectrum of what you usually will carry, or something that supposed to be somewhat valuable, but since you don't care for it, you may even willing to just give it away.

2) No rotation.  Once chosen the tool at the beginning of the month, participant should always try to use the chosen tool first and foremost for the entire 30 days challenge, unless your task exceeds the capacity of the tool or it is work related.

3) Post a photo of the chosen tool everyday for 30 days during the month of challenge.  Share with us what you discover of this strange yet familiar tool, and how is it different from what you usually EDC. :think:

4) While many would have hated the poorly made crappy tool, this doesn't mean we should rush out and get the crappiest tool on the market to participate.  On the other hand, one (wo)man's trash could totally be another (wo)man's treasure--instead of being of judgmental of what others have chosen, please focus on facing your own demon >:D and let's help each other to find the best of our tools, if not ourselves.

5) Have Fun!!!!!

And some of you probably would have guessed--I am a secret Fridge magnets addict, so I too will design and giveaway free magnets to those whom have completed this challenge...

Great idea  :tu:

How would it work for those, like me, who have a tool that fits the criteria but, due to carry laws (UK) can't realistically do so  :dunno:

I'm thinking, in my case, I can't find a "reasonable excuse" to carry my OHT on days off, whilst wandering around town on the off chance I may need it  :think:

That effectively, reduces me to home use only (can't use it for work either as it's not Gov't issue  ::) ) Moreover, given that I spend more time at work, than not, I'm stuck with opening mail and making holes in things  :rofl:

I could, of course, try and use another tool but that's the only one that fits the bill, so far  :whistle: (which is why I mentioned it previously)

I may have to sit this one out... :-\
They don't like it up 'em!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 08:03:00 PM
Great idea  :tu:

How would it work for those, like me, who have a tool that fits the criteria but, due to carry laws (UK) can't realistically do so  :dunno:

I'm thinking, in my case, I can't find a "reasonable excuse" to carry my OHT on days off, whilst wandering around town on the off chance I may need it  :think:

That effectively, reduces me to home use only (can't use it for work either as it's not Gov't issue  ::) ) Moreover, given that I spend more time at work, than not, I'm stuck with opening mail and making holes in things  :rofl:

I could, of course, try and use another tool but that's the only one that fits the bill, so far  :whistle: (which is why I mentioned it previously)

I may have to sit this one out... :-\
Woo...that could be a tough compiling to the Gov't issued and regulation.  Could you take home tools they have issued you? 

Btw, Rule #3 did exempt you from using your chosen as the sole primary tool if you work won't allow you.  But outside of work, you definitely could participate with the OHT if you choose.  :D

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 08:38:40 PM
Woo...that could be a tough compiling to the Gov't issued and regulation.  Could you take home tools they have issued you? 

Btw, Rule #3 did exempt you from using your chosen as the sole primary tool if you work won't allow you.  But outside of work, you definitely could participate with the OHT if you choose.  :D
I saw that #3 was my "get out" from work related stuff  :tu:

As for taking home issued tools (batons, 'cuffs & limb restraint type things) I can but, wrong forum  :dwts:

The issue I've got, and perhaps others (outside of the more liberal countries) is that locking blades are pretty much a no-no  ::)

This is why most of my LM shots (i.e. the Skary Skele Challenge) tend to be glamour ones and not action  :think:

Unless I'm going to do something specific and therefore "probably" justifiable it's a potential job loser for me  :ahhh

Perhaps I'll have to make an ill advised (UK friendly) purchase, SAK type, and participate then  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 08:59:41 PM
I'm in.

For me, I want to go with the Chinese Schrade Tough Tool. I absolutely hate what Taylor did to the brand. Rough Ryder (and Sanremu) prove you can make a knife in China for a low price and it be a good knife. At even the 1990s MSRPs, they can still make good stuff, but chose not to. They took an old name, used the cheapest steel and workmanship they could (I have a 5OT I can't close, an LB-7 with bad blade play, and every single China Schrade I've owned had a shield that fell out in a week). Unfortunately, people are ignorant to these "cost effective" measures, and are still buying the things. I've done a full 30 day challenge with the USA model, and I used it hard. I'm curious to see what breaks on the Schrade in hard farm use.   I will have to buy one, however, becuase typically "I won't touch one with a ten-metre pole". Especially when the Tough Tool retailed for like a hundred bucks in the '90s and now is $20. Obviously they did a ton of cost cutting.   And if I don't--I have a handful of Chinese Schrade folders I bought for no reason at all.

I'd like to carry a Chinese-made Camillus folder as the secondary, but rules are rules.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:05:38 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 11:25:00 PM
01 Comis
02 RF52
03 Alan K.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 05:10:53 AM
I saw that #3 was my "get out" from work related stuff  :tu:

As for taking home issued tools (batons, 'cuffs & limb restraint type things) I can but, wrong forum  :dwts:

The issue I've got, and perhaps others (outside of the more liberal countries) is that locking blades are pretty much a no-no  ::)

This is why most of my LM shots (i.e. the Skary Skele Challenge) tend to be glamour ones and not action  :think:

Unless I'm going to do something specific and therefore "probably" justifiable it's a potential job loser for me  :ahhh

Perhaps I'll have to make an ill advised (UK friendly) purchase, SAK type, and participate then  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The challenge is designed to put us all out of the comfort zone a bit, so how best to play it is each one's game.  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 05:13:38 AM
I'm in.

For me, I want to go with the Chinese Schrade Tough Tool. I absolutely hate what Taylor did to the brand. Rough Ryder (and Sanremu) prove you can make a knife in China for a low price and it be a good knife. At even the 1990s MSRPs, they can still make good stuff, but chose not to. They took an old name, used the cheapest steel and workmanship they could (I have a 5OT I can't close, an LB-7 with bad blade play, and every single China Schrade I've owned had a shield that fell out in a week). Unfortunately, people are ignorant to these "cost effective" measures, and are still buying the things. I've done a full 30 day challenge with the USA model, and I used it hard. I'm curious to see what breaks on the Schrade in hard farm use.   I will have to buy one, however, becuase typically "I won't touch one with a ten-metre pole". Especially when the Tough Tool retailed for like a hundred bucks in the '90s and now is $20. Obviously they did a ton of cost cutting.   And if I don't--I have a handful of Chinese Schrade folders I bought for no reason at all.

I'd like to carry a Chinese-made Camillus folder as the secondary, but rules are rules.

Welcome onboard! :cheers:   I think farm work is the perfect testing ground for any tool, this will be one to watch! :popcorn:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 05:15:12 AM
Alan, great to have you!  :cheers:

01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 11:02:17 AM
 ::)

01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
07 ReamerPunch

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 11:06:39 AM
::)

01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
07 ReamerPunch

:rofl:  007, I like the way you think.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 11:14:57 AM
What should I use... :think:

I was not a fan of the Center-Drive when it first came out, and it still does not excite me all that much. But I do not have one, so that's out.

I would pick the BuckTool since I loathe everything about it except ergonomics. But my bad one is bad and the good one is a shelf queen (more like a bag princess).

I have a Coast paperweight that's shaped like a multi-tool. That might do, but I cannot take pictures of it holding down papers for 30 days, and it's not good enough for much else.

The Schrade USA ToughTool I have is quirky, bulky, stiff, and heavy. Another candidate. Although I like the looks of it.

The NexTool Mini would be a nice option, because I hate it with a passion, but one broke and the second does not even cut paper, so what am I supposed to do for a month?

The Grand Harvest GHK2 is a mixed bag, so I have mixed feelings.

The Leatherman Wingman and I did not agree early on. I still do not like it all that much, but it is way better than most of this list. And it has the package opener. I could get by a month with just that.

Leaning towards the BuckTool.  :think:
I like it the least. That is to say, I do not like it at all.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 12:21:50 PM

I was not a fan of the Center-Drive when it first came out, and it still does not excite me all that much. But I do not have one, so that's out.

I would pick the BuckTool since I loathe everything about it except ergonomics. But my bad one is bad and the good one is a shelf queen (more like a bag princess).

I have a Coast paperweight that's shaped like a multi-tool. That might do, but I cannot take pictures of it holding down papers for 30 days, and it's not good enough for much else.

The Schrade USA ToughTool I have is quirky, bulky, stiff, and heavy. Another candidate. Although I like the looks of it.

The NexTool Mini would be a nice option, because I hate it with a passion, but one broke and the second does not even cut paper, so what am I supposed to do for a month?

The Leatherman Wingman and I did not agree early on. I still do not like it all that much, but it is way better than most of this list. And it has the package opener. I could get by a month with just that.

I have read some of your reviews, and I think it would be quite interesting to get your prospective through out the challenge. 

As you rightly point out, as much as this is a challenge for the tool, part of it may require our ingenuity and patience to make it work for the month, and I trust there is no shortage after seeing your posts from Nessmuk. :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 12:57:39 PM
Thanks! :cheers:
True, if the tools we pick are truly sub-par, like the Schrade Taylor TT, then we'll need lots of patience to make it through the month.
Are we allowed to at least fondle our good tools, late at night, to take our minds off the crap we'll be carrying? ::)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 01:36:16 PM

The good news is you have almost a year to decide    :ahhh   :D

england Offline Kev D

Reply #19 on: October 16, 2020, 02:24:17 PM
I've decided I hate all my Surges, can I join in?  :D

I've added it to the 2021 challenges list

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #20 on: October 16, 2020, 02:50:35 PM

By the time the Challenge starts, I will have probably found a worse multi-tool. One can only hope. :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 16, 2020, 03:39:57 PM

:D

Of course!  Great to have you, and thanks for adding us on the list!

01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
05 Kev D
07 ReamerPunch

By the time the Challenge starts, I will have probably found a worse multi-tool. One can only hope. :cheers:
:popcorn:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #22 on: October 16, 2020, 04:01:42 PM
Unless I get something worse, I'll carry the Coast Pocket Plier Disaster. :salute:
Don't get me wrong, the BuckTool is also horrible, but it only has pliers, two blades (serrated and combo edge), a bottle opener that will also mangle cans, three flatheads and two Phillips drivers. Too few tools.

The Coast has more tools, and it will be infinitely more entertaining to try and survive a month of a nail-busting blade, a file that can only file warm butter, scissors that have trouble with paper, the thinner Phillips in the industry, a can opener that is second only to the BuckTool's mangler, and an awl that has no tip. All the while weighing as much as the Surge. Talk about a home run.  :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #23 on: October 16, 2020, 04:02:28 PM
We should get Jothra in on this. :think:
It should be easy for him. He's done it before. Twice. :hatsoff:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 16, 2020, 11:46:34 PM

That is what I would carry*... pair it with a CRKT Seismic or maybe FOX ERT... yeah definitively the ERT. The Seismic, while stupid and large at least is fun.

But that would definitively mean a second belt.

* I mean how can I not regret a MT that has sharp corners and and the tools don't like to lock.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 17, 2020, 08:11:53 PM
We should get Jothra in on this. :think:
It should be easy for him. He's done it before. Twice. :hatsoff:
Invitation sent!  Hope he will have time to join... :pok: :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 17, 2020, 08:13:13 PM
That is what I would carry*... pair it with a CRKT Seismic or maybe FOX ERT... yeah definitively the ERT. The Seismic, while stupid and large at least is fun.

But that would definitively mean a second belt.

* I mean how can I not regret a MT that has sharp corners and and the tools don't like to lock.
Does it mean you are in?  :pok: >:D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 17, 2020, 09:22:09 PM
Does it mean you are in?  :pok: >:D
Man, August '21 is so far off... and we might be fending off Zombies.

Well, at least I don't own any Swiza anymore, so it should not be that bad >:D, but I do have many regret purchase, so this is my challenge :facepalm:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 18, 2020, 09:03:25 AM
Man, August '21 is so far off... and we might be fending off Zombies.

Well, at least I don't own any Swiza anymore, so it should not be that bad >:D , but I do have many regret purchase, so this is my challenge :facepalm:

No problem, I will pencil you in for now.  :D

01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
05 Kev D
06 Etherealicer (if not busy fighting zombies)
07 ReamerPunch

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #29 on: October 18, 2020, 01:13:53 PM
Having thought about it  :think: I've decided I'll give it a go  :salute:

At the moment I'll be using the OHT, which I just don't seem to get on with  :dunno:

There's only one way to find out for sure :shrug:

Of course, that doesn't mean I won't have bought another sharp pointy thing that I don't get on with by then  ::)

01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
05 Kev D
06 Etherealicer (if not busy fighting zombies)
07 ReamerPunch
08 SurgeUK

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56