Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help! Looking for Post '77 WK Stamp Soldiers

us Offline Ritornello

Help! Looking for Post '77 WK Stamp Soldiers
on: November 02, 2020, 12:02:36 AM
Hi all, I'm new here and I'm still learning my way around. Been collecting older SAKs for a little while now and I'm looking for some Post '77 WK stamp soldiers to add my collection (I only own one - an '85 Vic and I'm looking for a cleaner example). If anyone would be kind enough to help me locate some, or any other cool and collectible SAKs that would be greatly appreciated. Stay safe guys.

Rit
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 12:25:43 AM by Ritornello »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Help! Looking for Post '77 WK Stamp Soldiers
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 01:33:20 AM
Pretty sure that ‘77 was the changeover year from the W-K stamp to the ‘round bottom’ red shield.

Unless you mean ones that were stamped W-K elsewhere on the knife ‘77+ on the other end from the shield/cross. I think that was done into the early ‘80s?
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 01:43:33 AM
Pretty sure that ‘77 was the changeover year from the W-K stamp to the ‘round bottom’ red shield.

Unless you mean ones that were stamped W-K elsewhere on the knife ‘77+ on the other end from the shield/cross. I think that was done into the early ‘80s?

They started stamping the knives on a plate just above the hollow rivet from '77. They moved the stamp there to allow for the rounded shield.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 01:47:05 AM
They started stamping the knives on a plate just above the hollow rivet from '77. They moved the stamp there to allow for the rounded shield.

:tu: Understood.  :cheers:

Just wanted to make sure you weren’t looking for something non-existent.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 01:56:29 AM
:tu: Understood.  :cheers:

Just wanted to make sure you weren’t looking for something non-existent.
Appreciated ;)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 07:58:43 PM
Appreciated ;)

And a free bump to the top...

This style shows up in the ‘80s-B (Green) catalog, but is absent from the ‘80s-A (B&W) catalog.

I would like to think that by or before say 1980 that this model that we know shows up with ‘77 stamping that they would be included in the next catalog printing/update.

My theory has been that the green catalog is closer to ‘77 or ‘78 than previously thought.

The counter argument is that the catalog includes the 84mm Combo Tool...which Victorinox says is c. ‘82 and some collectors say is closer to ‘80.

‘77+ style Soldier:

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 02:44:13 AM
And a free bump to the top...

This style shows up in the ‘80s-B (Green) catalog, but is absent from the ‘80s-A (B&W) catalog.

I would like to think that by or before say 1980 that this model that we know shows up with ‘77 stamping that they would be included in the next catalog printing/update.

My theory has been that the green catalog is closer to ‘77 or ‘78 than previously thought.

The counter argument is that the catalog includes the 84mm Combo Tool...which Victorinox says is c. ‘82 and some collectors say is closer to ‘80.

‘77+ style Soldier:

Hey thanks a million for the bump.  :cheers:
However unfortunately no takers thus far.  :think:
That is one sweet catalog by the way. Where'd you find it?

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 03:55:32 AM
Hi Rit,

Welcome to MTo.  Just for what it may be worth, the latest Model 1961 I have with a W-K stamp is 1988.  You could post a WTB post on the Tools Needed forum, and beyond that I would suggest you keep an eye on eBay.  These later years aren't that hard to come by (with a few exceptions), although W-K stamps start getting rarer after 1983-ish. 

If you decide you want to keep going and collect the Model 2008's, you will have your work cut out for you finding years 2008 and 2012.  All the others are easy. 

Good luck,

Myron

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 04:11:19 AM
Hi Rit,

Welcome to MTo.  Just for what it may be worth, the latest Model 1961 I have with a W-K stamp is 1988.  You could post a WTB post on the Tools Needed forum, and beyond that I would suggest you keep an eye on eBay.  These later years aren't that hard to come by (with a few exceptions), although W-K stamps start getting rarer after 1983-ish. 

If you decide you want to keep going and collect the Model 2008's, you will have your work cut out for you finding years 2008 and 2012.  All the others are easy. 

Good luck,

Myron

Thanks a bunch Myron. I'll be sure to check out the Tools Needed side of the forum. Had no idea that was here but I guess that's expected when you're new :-\
I'm always scouting around for the right soldier on ebay. Still need more red alox OC knives, only own one of those too, albeit a VERY clean example which I got for a very reasonable price.
Best to you and I hope to see you around the forums.  :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 05:24:37 AM
Hey thanks a million for the bump.  :cheers:
However unfortunately no takers thus far.  :think:
That is one sweet catalog by the way. Where'd you find it?

It’s in the wiki! Lots of good stuff in there.

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=46

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 06:05:58 AM
It’s in the wiki! Lots of good stuff in there.

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=46

Ah! Makes sense. I should spend more time there.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 01:18:27 AM
If you’re looking for knives to buy try Etsy rather than EBay- you’ll find new in box examples there.  :tu:

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 04:03:16 AM
If you’re looking for knives to buy try Etsy rather than EBay- you’ll find new in box examples there.  :tu:

Yeah I've checked Etsy before, and whilst they do have new examples on there, I'm not too keen on paying $180 for one knife ya know brother?

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 02:56:52 PM
Yeah I've checked Etsy before, and whilst they do have new examples on there, I'm not too keen on paying $180 for one knife ya know brother?

It's been my observation that prices on Etsy are generally higher than eBay.  But everybody has their own idea of what's reasonable, what's rare, what's worth it, and what's not. 

Just curious here, and wondering why you are only interested in post-1977 model 1961's?  I think you'll be able to find all of those fairly easily on eBay. 

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 10:24:31 PM
It's been my observation that prices on Etsy are generally higher than eBay.  But everybody has their own idea of what's reasonable, what's rare, what's worth it, and what's not. 

Just curious here, and wondering why you are only interested in post-1977 model 1961's?  I think you'll be able to find all of those fairly easily on eBay.

Oh, well as I stated in the original post I'm really looking for anything collectible however I like to focus on one item to direct my money and energy to at a time. I haven't been collecting for super long so my goal is to collect all the patterns I like first and then duplicates of those patterns I like most. Right now I'm really missing a clean example of a post '77 WK stamp soldier. That's sorta what I'm focusing on. Haven't found one to my standards at a price I'm willing to pay. Also, anything prior to '77 is just gonna run me even more cash and I'm not yet out of college so I collect where my income allows. Once I'm out and have more disposable income I'll probably go on a bender before I come to my senses :twak:. They're quite hard to come by for anything under $100-120 that aren't quite tattered examples I wouldn't want anyway.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 11:51:33 PM
I think if you keep an eye on eBay you'll be able to find a nice W-K specimen at a price below a hundred bucks.  :)

Good luck with your search!

Myron

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #16 on: November 07, 2020, 12:06:08 AM
I think if you keep an eye on eBay you'll be able to find a nice W-K specimen at a price below a hundred bucks.  :)

Good luck with your search!

Myron

Oh for sure, when I first got into collecting I missed an opportunity to get an '83 that looked pretty nice for a measly $38 as the seller incorrectly listed it and clearly didn't know what it was worth. Still get recurring nightmares over it :facepalm:
Thanks for the help Myron, best to you and yours. :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 07, 2020, 07:07:09 PM
Bump...and sent you a PM. Good luck with the hunt!

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 06:46:08 AM
Bump...and sent you a PM. Good luck with the hunt!

Thank you kamakiri. The hunt will be a lifelong joy of mine. :)

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 10:04:17 PM
Welp, brief update. I managed to get my hands on a swell '86. Only one problem, it lacks the WK stamp as it was made for civilian and not military issue :salute:. Not a big problem and I'm very happy to have this guy nonetheless but I'm looking for a military issue one still to buddy up with my two DAKs :drink:
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
* Webp.net-compress-image.jpg (Filesize: 100.02 KB)
Webp.net-compress-image (1).jpg
* Webp.net-compress-image (1).jpg (Filesize: 97.52 KB)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 10:09:55 PM
 :like: Nice find Ritornello!  :tu: 

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 10:22:18 PM
:like: Nice find Ritornello!  :tu:

Thanks once again my friend.  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 12:11:50 PM
The WK stamp disappeared in 87, so this could just be late 86 stock issued in 87 when the WK stamp stopped being used when the Swiss authorities stopped requiring its use since Vics didn’t fail the inspection control for issue..... But more knowledgeable folks will doubtless add more authoritative advice on this. :tu:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 02:27:53 PM
The WK stamp disappeared in 87, so this could just be late 86 stock issued in 87 when the WK stamp stopped being used when the Swiss authorities stopped requiring its use since Vics didn’t fail the inspection control for issue..... But more knowledgeable folks will doubtless add more authoritative advice on this. :tu:

Indeed this is the conventional wisdom, Rizio, but I have an '88 with W-K stamp. 

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 02:31:51 PM
Interesting, Myron! I’ve just found a 93 NIB with hollow rivet etc which I thought had stopped in 92 - there’s a bit of slippage in the timelines which can be confusing, but fun at the same time! :D

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #25 on: November 16, 2020, 12:51:02 AM

Very interesting! I hadn't considered that possibility but it makes sense. there's always a short transitional period in which such anomalies pop up between iterations. However as Myron stated (which was something I didn't know haha), WK stamps appeared into at latest early '88 so I'm not so sure that this isn't civilian issue.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%