Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best SAKs in different categories

Jmoita · 39 · 2020

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Best SAKs in different categories
Reply #30 on: December 21, 2021, 05:38:36 PM
You carry a SwissChamp and a Spirit in your back pocket?  :o Isn't that really uncomfortable for sitting?
I keep my wallet which is about the same size and weight in my other back pocket so I don't feel like I'm sitting on a big lump on just one side, which would be very uncomfortable and very bad for your back.  I am also a wide guy and when I wear stuff on my belt it has to be behind my hip so it doesn't catch on every door I go through, but I find that is then uncomfortable for sitting because I can't sit all the way back in a chair and often catch the chair slats when I stand back up. You can get used to pretty much anything as long as you're not causing injury. :cheers:

00 Offline Jmoita

Reply #31 on: December 21, 2021, 07:19:58 PM
Jmoita - Just buy one of each and then decide for yourself! :p

Regarding the larger SAKs, I found using pocket hanger clips keeps them in a good place and out the way of your hand without cluttering up the bottom of your pocket, to the point where you don't even notice the weight.

The process is already on the way  :D

00 Offline Dr. Boombatz

Reply #32 on: December 21, 2021, 07:56:38 PM
The Nano clips (and other pocket hangers) really work well for keeping the SAK from turning sideways and falling to the bottom of your pocket. I find I can use a pocket hanger with 2 & 3 layer SAK's and they essentially disappear in a front jeans pocket. I tried this with a Swiss Champ and it's still noticeably heavy, and it does protrude/bulge a bit in a front jeans pocket. I dont wear skinny jeans, but also don't wear things super baggy. Think of old school 501's or similar. For me, the Swiss Champ would be best on a belt pouch.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: December 21, 2021, 08:36:03 PM
I think the problem with the Swiss Champ is people always say it's too big for a jeans pocket, which is pretty much is. It kind of falls into the same size category as a Leatherman or Gerber multitool in regards to size, and most would never consider carrying those around in a front pant's pocket like many of us do with smaller SAK's. But because the Swiss Champ is a SAK they automatically assign it to a pants pocket and then say it's too big. Just like the Leatherman multi-tools, the Swiss Champ probably is better suited for carrying it on your belt, and not in a pocket.

I just picked up a Swiss Champ for the first time and think it's best suited (for me at least) as a tool to keep on my desk for using it around the house.

I disagree. Just have compared my Vic Spirit with my Swisschamp. The Spirit is considerably longer and heavier than the Swisschamp. I wouldn't hesitate to carry the latter in a jeans pocket (in fact, I have done so many times).

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #34 on: December 21, 2021, 09:05:02 PM
I certainly understand the aversion that folks have to carrying a SwissChamp in their pocket. I've never carried one in a jeans pocket. By the time I got my carrier SwissChamp, I'd decided that carrying in a sheath or a dedicated pocket was the way to go, and I almost completely stopped wearing jeans not long afterwards. A SwissChamp does okay in the hidden pocket of my tactical pants, but I still prefer to carry it on my belt. All I need to do is find, make, or have made a pouch/sheath that I like...
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: December 22, 2021, 04:59:23 AM
1) Around the house - Cybertool M
2) Work (blue collar) - Centurion
3) Work (office like) - Executive
4) Outdoors (hiking etc.) - Farmer X
5) Dressy like events (like the knife you would carry in your pocket at your wedding) - Director or 74mm Cigar Cutter (sadly both discontinued)

00 Offline Jmoita

Reply #36 on: January 03, 2022, 03:02:05 AM
Quick update: the Swisstool is killing it in the 1st category (Around the House). Its always nearby in a drawer right in the center of my place... The wavy blade is just awesome for thick cardboard that I use to slice for put big boxes in the trash and make toys for my pets. The awl was f"k'up but I sharpened it giving it and edge on both sides, its very useful for the above mention toy making.
And the file already replaced all others for nails...

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #37 on: January 03, 2022, 08:28:36 PM
I'm glad you like it, they look to be wonderful tools ! I really want a swisstool, I had one a long time ago that I had to send back to the vendor, but it felt so strong compared to my leatherman's !  :ahhh

us Offline austin83

Reply #38 on: January 04, 2022, 12:44:12 AM
1) Around the house, Tinker
2) Work (blue collar) Explorer
3) Work (office like) Super Tinker
4) Outdoors (hiking etc.) Trailmaster 111mm
5) Dressy like events, Small Tinker

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!