Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evergreen topics

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Evergreen topics
on: December 03, 2020, 07:32:30 PM
Fellow knights,

I was browsing the forum in the last days and it amazes me how certain topics just keep popping up. Like corkscrew or backside Philips?; backside Philips vs inline Philips; Hook yay or nay?; SAK pliers yay or nay?; etc.

So here is my question to the long-time members: if you could select one topic around SAKs to be henceforth permanently removed from debate, which would it be?

Looking forward to your replies!

Cheers,

Simon

us Offline Frailer

Re: Evergreen topics
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 07:56:32 PM
Given the power, I would ban the question...

“Why doesn’t Victorinox use better steel?”

...from every Internet forum.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 09:19:27 PM

+1

the steel is one the soft side and need a touch up regularly but even a person that don't know how to do it can make it sharp again and that, practicality and price makes it a tool for EVERYONE

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 09:20:31 PM

This  :iagree:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 11:33:01 PM
“Nobody can date SAKs to within a year”

Lol. Watch me.  :D

——

I forget that there are other knife fora(?) out there. I might be in the minority and even appreciate some of the older softer Vic steels that polish easily and quite nicely.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

sd Offline Andetto

• Am old school, I still believe in respect.
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 12:18:16 AM

Totally agree.
This question irritates. I wonder if people who says this will actually buy it then.
Regards
Andetto

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 11:23:45 AM
 :ahhh

Too many possible topics... 84mm scissors, custom (read: poorly thought through) configurations direct from the factory, one-handed anything, non-locking Swisstools, locking SAKs, ‘why can’t I have x colour scales’ etc etc

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 11:42:28 AM
“Nobody can date SAKs to within a year”

Lol. Watch me.  :D

——

I forget that there are other knife fora(? !) out there. I might be in the minority and even appreciate some of the older softer Vic steels that polish easily and quite nicely.

Bene factum!

:hatsoff:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 11:46:24 AM
As per the initial question...

I like awl SAK related posts.

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 11:58:33 AM
As per the initial question...

(Image removed from quote.)

I like awl SAK related posts.

:cheers: :tu:

Even SAK-rebuses!
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 12:17:57 PM
Even SAK-rebuses!

Well, those I just tolerate...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 12:18:14 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 12:32:11 PM

That really is a good one.  I won't go so far as to 'eliminate' this question, but I know the person asking probably just won't 'get it'.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 03:53:10 PM

Too many possible topics... 84mm scissors, custom (read: poorly thought through) configurations direct from the factory, one-handed anything, non-locking Swisstools, locking SAKs, ‘why can’t I have x colour scales’ etc etc

Good ones  :D  :like:

us Offline Frailer

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 01:09:33 AM
That really is a good one.  I won't go so far as to 'eliminate' this question, but I know the person asking probably just won't 'get it'.

Exactly. They just don’t get it.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 01:15:56 AM

I know it's difficult, but in Highlander fashion "there can only be one". The replies so far suggest that the "Should Vic use different steel?" -question has potential to take the crown as the most annoying evergreen.  :popcorn:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 01:21:35 AM
I never tire of any of these topics, so to be honest.   Each time, I'm thinking of the question from a different place.  If I looked at all my own answers, I would guess that I contradict myself quite a bit.  It's all in good fun.  And it's all fun. 

I agree on the steel question.  The answer should be something like "Victorinox will always use Victoria's son's Inoxidable steel which is Rostfrei."  If you don't like it, leave it, and get a steel that will stay sharp and patina.  Nothing wrong with that... but you can't get that here. 

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 03:06:12 AM

Good examples, along with the steel hardness. Demanding a "Cadet X" has been hot of late. I really have to restrain myself in replying to some of the wants I see.

This isn't to say I don't have my own peeves with Victorinox. The other day I broke a hollow cellidor scale just by sitting on the knife in my back pocket.  :(

One thing I'd like to see more of is gratitude shown for the knives and tools that Vic produces already. What's offered is vastly preferable to nothing at all.
Rambler

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 09:18:04 AM

One thing I'd like to see more of is gratitude shown for the knives and tools that Vic produces already. What's offered is vastly preferable to nothing at all.

To be honest, on this particular forum this would likely be a very boring thread: one person declares how much he/she appreciates Vic and how they entertain us all with their wide array of SAKs, and the vast majority consequently just agrees  :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:24:19 AM by Simon_Templar »

nz Offline Storm

Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 09:20:31 AM
I'll agree with the steel question- if they have to ask, they wont understand the answer.
Come on people, we're living in a golden age of cutlery, where you can get any length, style, steel options etc for a reasonable price. If you don't like what Victorinox is offering, no one is holding a gun to your head making you buy it are they  now. Buy what you like, and as Sawl says, there's plenty to love about what Vic is putting out. I'm happy with the ones I've got , thats for sure :tu:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 09:23:24 AM
This thread is about to turn into one of the evergreen topics itself. :facepalm:

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 12:27:24 PM
I wouldn't miss topics (like this?  :think:  ;)) that are specifically looking for the negative, such as the current thread "SAK you hate most". Hatred somehow doesn't fit into this friendly forum. SAKs are a hobby and a passion for me, so I focus on what I like.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 01:09:05 PM
Well said Sneider!

I hate negativity! (see what I did there?)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 05:49:03 PM
Well said Sneider!

I hate negativity! (see what I did there?)

Well played Reinier, well played.

I agree that negativity is offputting.  I have to suspect, though that the most recent negative thread in question has more to do with language than negativity.  I'm sure that was unintentional.

For native English speakers "hate" is an ugly word... It has an aesthetic to it.  Just like the word "moist" brings a visceral reaction of disgust to many people (even if it is in reference to a chocolate cake), and "emoluments" has a nice ring to it until you know what it entails... "hate" has an ugly, angry aesthetic to it.... separate from what it actually means. 
So I try to let it slide, even though I had the same reaction as many of you. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 07:37:31 PM by ElevenBlade »

us Offline Frailer

Reply #24 on: December 05, 2020, 06:20:43 PM
...For native English speakers "hate" is an ugly word... It has an aesthetic to it...

True, which is why so many responses in that thread (my own included) start with, “I don’t *hate* any of them, but...”

I think the discussions I enjoy the most revolve around tool selection. IMHO the SAK is all about sub-optimal utility. By that I mean having a tool at hand that—while it might not be *ideal*—will get the job done. Hearing what other people want to have immediately available as they negotiate their day interests me. I’m much less interested in discussions about blade and scale materials.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 05, 2020, 07:38:50 PM
True, which is why so many responses in that thread (my own included) start with, “I don’t *hate* any of them, but...”

I think the discussions I enjoy the most revolve around tool selection. IMHO the SAK is all about sub-optimal utility. By that I mean having a tool at hand that—while it might not be *ideal*—will get the job done. Hearing what other people want to have immediately available as they negotiate their day interests me. I’m much less interested in discussions about blade and scale materials.

Language is the most important multitool we have.   :cheers:

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 05, 2020, 08:34:15 PM
Yes, you turned it well, Reinier.

OK, I didn't think that hate meant anything else in other languages. Thanks ElevenBlade, that helps me understand the meaning. In German, my mother tongue, hate is perhaps the word with the most negative meaning of all. That's why the title irritated me so much.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 05, 2020, 09:32:44 PM
Yes, you turned it well, Reinier.

OK, I didn't think that hate meant anything else in other languages. Thanks ElevenBlade, that helps me understand the meaning. In German, my mother tongue, hate is perhaps the word with the most negative meaning of all. That's why the title irritated me so much.

I wasn't sure about it, so I didn't mention it....my understanding is that German is very nuanced in what words mean, so it probably is a good example.  Many years ago... I think I was not even a teenager, I had met a family friend's new husband who was a native German speaker.  Excited to show off the German I was learning in school I said something to him.  Picture this - he stared at me in silence for a few seconds and says "That is very very low German", with his outstretched hand parallel to the ground he slowly bent down until his palm was a few inches off the ground... to demonstrate just how very low it was.  :oops:  :dwts:  The next day I transferred to Spanish class.   :facepalm:

hate - detest - abhor - loathe - despise - dislike - avoid .... these all have nuanced differences.  Hate is among the most negative in English   

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2020, 10:27:58 PM
I wasn't sure about it, so I didn't mention it....my understanding is that German is very nuanced in what words mean, so it probably is a good example.  Many years ago... I think I was not even a teenager, I had met a family friend's new husband who was a native German speaker.  Excited to show off the German I was learning in school I said something to him.  Picture this - he stared at me in silence for a few seconds and says "That is very very low German", with his outstretched hand parallel to the ground he slowly bent down until his palm was a few inches off the ground... to demonstrate just how very low it was.  :oops:  :dwts:  The next day I transferred to Spanish class.   :facepalm:

hate - detest - abhor - loathe - despise - dislike - avoid .... these all have nuanced differences.  Hate is among the most negative in English

That was not very polite from your family friend's husband! :-[

Unfortunately, because I only really know one language, I cannot compare how strongly the meaning of words is nuanced in other languages depending on the situation. In my environment, hate does not refer to objects but usually to living beings (e.g. I hate the murderer of my family members), maybe also to situations (daily worker traffic jam on the highway). Hatred means in the mildest case wanting something to cease to exist, at the other end that you want to kill it slowly and painfully.

But hate a  :climber:? Never!

Phew, that was enough bad fibrations on my part, I'm out.
(Leo Tolstoy)

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #29 on: December 05, 2020, 10:34:01 PM
Slugs and aphids in the garden - you can only "hate" them.
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD