Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sleeping Woes!

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: Sleeping Woes!
Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 05:30:39 AM
I got sleep problems as well and was recommended a glass of warm milk before bed (it kinda works), also camomile tea helps your body relax and fall asleep you can try combining them for better effect, a bit of honey can be used to sweeten it. A bottle (or two) of beer helps as well, but won't in your case I guess, whiskey or scotch can also cure insomnia.  :cheers:

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 05:43:09 AM
Try listening to some complex (but not necessarily aggressive) instrumental music. That helps me sometimes.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 06:24:57 AM
Ok I went to the Doc's today and long story short I've got to come off sleeping tablet's :cry:

Now without them I can stay awake for 3 days at a time, which isn't good for me, or any of the poor sod's around me, as I tend to get a tiny bit crouchie, and ever so slightly violent too ::)

Soare there any herbal/natural sleeping remedies that actually work ???

Thanks in advance guys :)

What you need is of the female nature ::)

I'm now praying that you don't need me to fill in the "details" :angel:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 06:31:34 AM
If it’s your brain that is still overtly active when you want too sleep why don’t you try meditation. It works for the Vulcan’s so I guess it works on you. You also have acupuncture that is said too cure almost everything.

Or I can come over and give you a Vulcan neck pinch.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 07:04:27 AM
If it’s your brain that is still overtly active when you want too sleep why don’t you try meditation. It works for the Vulcan’s so I guess it works on you. You also have acupuncture that is said too cure almost everything.

Now that is my problem, I lay down and I just can't stop my mind racing :(

I have tried meditation, but again the mind wandering/racing problem comes into play ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Flash

Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 08:59:07 AM
Micky d...

Transition state theory (TST) is the theory of the rates of elementary reactions which assumes a special type of equilibrium (quasi-equilibrium) between reactants and activated complexes.[1]

TST is primarily used as a qualitative basis to understand how chemical reactions take place. TST has been less successful in its original goal of calculating absolute reaction rate constants because of the fact that the calculation of absolute reaction rates requires very accurate knowledge of potential energy surfaces,[2] but it has been successful in calculating the enthalpy of activation (ΔH‡), the entropy of activation (ΔS‡ ), and the Gibb’s free energy of activation (ΔG‡) for a particular reaction if its rate constant has been experimentally determined. (The ‡ notation refers to the value of interest at the transition state.)

This theory was developed simultaneously in 1935 ......................

Asleep yet?

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 09:52:56 AM
MD have you been on sleepers long ? Did your DR discuss weaning you off your sleepers , that is reducing your dose gradually & not going off them completely straight away . Maybe some thing like yoga or meditation might help . Did you talk about the trouble you have winding down with your DR ? Ideally your GP would have given you some kind of plan or referred you too some one who can help you mate. If your GP is not giving you the tools (no pun intended) see another GP or conversely ask your GP for a referral to a sleep/relaxation speSmurfpillst.It can be hard talking too your DR but sometimes you have to be assertive to get the help you need (I know easier said than done). Good luck mate , I hope you can find the answers mate. 

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 10:13:26 AM
I have suffered from multiple sleep problems and have been seeing various sleep speSmurfpillsts for years.

It sounds like you have severe insomnia and I doubt any homebrew remedies will have much effect. In fact, some will likely have a bad effect.

Why do you have to give up your sleep meds? Weren't they working ok?

Are you seeing a general practitioner or was it someone with experience in sleep disorders?

PM me if you want.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 01:41:50 PM
Micky d...

Transition state theory (TST) is the theory of the rates of elementary reactions which assumes a special type of equilibrium (quasi-equilibrium) between reactants and activated complexes.[1]

TST is primarily used as a qualitative basis to understand how chemical reactions take place. TST has been less successful in its original goal of calculating absolute reaction rate constants because of the fact that the calculation of absolute reaction rates requires very accurate knowledge of potential energy surfaces,[2] but it has been successful in calculating the enthalpy of activation (ΔH‡), the entropy of activation (ΔS‡ ), and the Gibb’s free energy of activation (ΔG‡) for a particular reaction if its rate constant has been experimentally determined. (The ‡ notation refers to the value of interest at the transition state.)

This theory was developed simultaneously in 1935 ......................

Asleep yet?

:D :D
I'm back!!

Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 07:12:34 PM
MD have you been on sleepers long ? Did your DR discuss weaning you off your sleepers , that is reducing your dose gradually & not going off them completely straight away . Maybe some thing like yoga or meditation might help . Did you talk about the trouble you have winding down with your DR ? Ideally your GP would have given you some kind of plan or referred you too some one who can help you mate. If your GP is not giving you the tools (no pun intended) see another GP or conversely ask your GP for a referral to a sleep/relaxation speSmurfpillst.It can be hard talking too your DR but sometimes you have to be assertive to get the help you need (I know easier said than done). Good luck mate , I hope you can find the answers mate. 
Yep I'm weaning myself over the course of a month :)

He did say he'd send me to a sleep thearapist, so I might give that a go :)

Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 07:14:42 PM
I have suffered from multiple sleep problems and have been seeing various sleep speSmurfpillsts for years.

It sounds like you have severe insomnia and I doubt any homebrew remedies will have much effect. In fact, some will likely have a bad effect.

Are you seeing a general practitioner or was it someone with experience in sleep disorders?

PM me if you want.

Basically they were starting to give me fairly severe pains in my abdomen, so my Doc reckon's that the pharmacutical approach probably won't work :(

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 07:32:18 PM

PM me if you want.

Basically they were starting to give me fairly severe pains in my abdomen, so my Doc reckon's that the pharmacutical approach probably won't work :(

There are quite a few sleep medications out there that you could try. It is highly unlikely that they would all cause you pain.

I would try to get a referral from your doctor for a sleep study, or at least to a psychiatrist (i.e. a doctor vs. a therapist). They will have a lot more knowledge about sleep disorders than a general practitioner.

It can't hurt to try. 3 days without sleep is pretty severe...
[

Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 07:35:01 PM

PM me if you want.

There are quite a few sleep medications out there that you could try. It is highly unlikely that they would all cause you pain.

I would try to get a referral from your doctor for a sleep study, or at least to a psychiatrist (i.e. a doctor vs. a therapist). They will have a lot more knowledge about sleep disorders than a general practitioner.

It can't hurt to try. 3 days without sleep is pretty severe...

Well I'm going back in 2 week's, and I'll press for the referal then :tu:

Ideally I'd like to go the natural route, as the sleeping med's I've taken really have quite a severe effect on me, especially for the first hour after waking :-\

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 07:57:30 PM

Ideally I'd like to go the natural route, as the sleeping med's I've taken really have quite a severe effect on me, especially for the first hour after waking :-\

I absolutely agree. Sleep meds do that to me too. They are far from an ideal solution.  :-\

Sleep docs will also help you with natural methods, sleep hygiene, relaxation techniques, etc. though.
[

Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 09:59:09 PM

I absolutely agree. Sleep meds do that to me too. They are far from an ideal solution.  :-\

Sleep docs will also help you with natural methods, sleep hygiene, relaxation techniques, etc. though.

Sleep hygiene?, what are you trying to say >:( :D

Seriously what is that mate ???

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:27 PM

Sleep hygiene?, what are you trying to say >:( :D

Seriously what is that mate ???

:D  :D

Here you go: http://www.umm.edu/sleep/sleep_hyg.htm

Basically, it is just good sleeping habits.
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #46 on: January 16, 2009, 01:53:45 AM
Just stick this poster on your bedrooom wall and your sleep problems will be cured.You'll be too scared to ever sleep again. :D
BigTopMaskCostume.jpg
* BigTopMaskCostume.jpg (Filesize: 26.42 KB)
I

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #47 on: January 16, 2009, 02:03:09 AM
How bout I just come over and punch you in the dome every night?  :D 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:08:32 AM by Gadget Guy »
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #48 on: January 16, 2009, 04:12:57 AM
Sorry to hop in on this topic so late... but here's what worked for me.

I was on Ambien CR for over two years.  I took it nightly, and if I didn't take it I could stay up for about 72 hours... but after 48 I was pretty much useless.

I ended up getting off the Ambien CR buy taking Somulin + a 3mg tablet of Melatonin, for a total of 6mg of Melatonin.  I also bought a pillow speaker for my bed and now listen to music when I lay down at night.  The music helps keep my mind from running away when I'm trying to relax and the combination of the pills relaxes me enough to where I could sleep pretty easily.  I'm now in the process of cutting out the Somulin, and taking 6mg of Melatonin a night (the Melatonin is a lot cheaper)

Those are some ideas... the Somulin is pretty expensive, but worked pretty well for me.  Melatonin is a nice way to go, and I know of people who take up to 12mg a night with no problems.  Normal dose is 3mg.  I started at 6mg with the intention of going up to 9mg if it didn't work, but I didn't have to take any more.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 06:24:23 AM
665ae is Melatonin available over the counter (I know it's a natural hormone), and are there any side effects? My problem is falling asleep and the bigger problem not waking up on time zzz. So if I were to experiment with 3mg how long before sleep does one take it? Micky D lets get on this together and see if it works, has to be from sunday night though, tomorrow I'm going out and some hard liquor will do the trick.

Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 08:21:15 AM
Sorry to hop in on this topic so late... but here's what worked for me.

I was on Ambien CR for over two years.  I took it nightly, and if I didn't take it I could stay up for about 72 hours... but after 48 I was pretty much useless.

I ended up getting off the Ambien CR buy taking Somulin + a 3mg tablet of Melatonin, for a total of 6mg of Melatonin.  I also bought a pillow speaker for my bed and now listen to music when I lay down at night.  The music helps keep my mind from running away when I'm trying to relax and the combination of the pills relaxes me enough to where I could sleep pretty easily.  I'm now in the process of cutting out the Somulin, and taking 6mg of Melatonin a night (the Melatonin is a lot cheaper)

Those are some ideas... the Somulin is pretty expensive, but worked pretty well for me.  Melatonin is a nice way to go, and I know of people who take up to 12mg a night with no problems.  Normal dose is 3mg.  I started at 6mg with the intention of going up to 9mg if it didn't work, but I didn't have to take any more.
Well I'm going to try that Melatonin first, as that seems the most popular/effective method :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #51 on: January 16, 2009, 01:42:41 PM
665ae is Melatonin available over the counter (I know it's a natural hormone), and are there any side effects? My problem is falling asleep and the bigger problem not waking up on time zzz. So if I were to experiment with 3mg how long before sleep does one take it? Micky D lets get on this together and see if it works, has to be from sunday night though, tomorrow I'm going out and some hard liquor will do the trick.

That is the good thing with melatonin as it only helps you get to sleep, it doesn't keep you asleep so you should be fine in the morning.

I would expect it to be kicking in at about half an hour.
I'm back!!

Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 06:52:57 PM
How bout I just come over and punch you in the dome every night?  :D  (Image removed from quote.)
Right, well tonight's the first night with no pill's so get your ass and some boxing gloves over here :D

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #53 on: January 16, 2009, 07:06:29 PM
How bout I just come over and punch you in the dome every night?  :D  (Image removed from quote.)
Right, well tonight's the first night with no pill's so get your ass and some boxing gloves over here :D

Who said anything about gloves?  :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #54 on: January 16, 2009, 07:12:49 PM
Nice! Give him a good shot to the grape!!
S

Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 10:36:21 PM

Who said anything about gloves?  :D
I was only thinking of your knuckles, I've got quite a hard head :D

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #56 on: January 17, 2009, 03:22:21 AM

Yes, Melatonin is available at just about any place that sells herbal stuff.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: January 17, 2009, 05:13:06 AM
Melatonin is available OTC in the US and Canada, but it is not available in many countries. I think the UK requires a prescription.

Most of the available supplements contain much higher dosages than generally recommended. There are indications that overuse can lead to your body manufacturing less melatonin naturally.

Incidentally, a recent major study found melatonin no better than a placebo for the type of sleep disorders it is generally used for.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:14:47 AM by max6166 »
[

Reply #58 on: January 17, 2009, 12:25:02 PM
2 and a half sodding hours sleep ::)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #59 on: January 17, 2009, 07:48:05 PM
I'm lucky as I never have trouble sleeping regardless if I've had anything to drink or not . Mike do you like going to bed ?  Sometimes I can't wait to get there . My beds a happy place and my problems are not aloud to get in there with me . Once in with the covers pulled up nothing can get me .Mostly I just read until I drop off .

I really hope you get it sorted mate , it can't be very nice for you .

dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD