Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sleeping Woes!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Sleeping Woes!
Reply #60 on: January 17, 2009, 10:20:11 PM
I'm lucky as I never have trouble sleeping regardless if I've had anything to drink or not . Mike do you like going to bed ?  Sometimes I can't wait to get there . My beds a happy place and my problems are not aloud to get in there with me . Once in with the covers pulled up nothing can get me .Mostly I just read until I drop off .

I really hope you get it sorted mate , it can't be very nice for you .

dunc
No going to bed doesn't bother me, as it's usually a refuge from the crap I have to deal with daily :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #61 on: January 17, 2009, 10:30:13 PM
I've just had 3 days (well nights) of crap sleep and its done me in, so i can't imagine what it must be like to have that on a regular basis, hope you get something sorted out :tu:
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #62 on: January 17, 2009, 10:37:53 PM
I've just had 3 days (well nights) of crap sleep and its done me in, so i can't imagine what it must be like to have that on a regular basis, hope you get something sorted out :tu:
How else do you think I look so youthful :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #63 on: March 23, 2009, 10:20:29 PM
Thanks for pointing me here Mike... now a small thread resurrection.

Firstly, no cocoa for you young man!
Secondly, there are a few things I have tried (several already mentioned here) to help with the dreaded sleep deprivation. As for herbal remedies valerian, poppy seed, skull cap or similar compounds are all very good at putting you out. You can get tinctures which work quite well in my experience. The last lot I had was from the US so you might need a pal here to send something over.

Your problem seems to be similar to mine - your brain won't shut down and you chill. No matter how many chemicals you use, you have to get to the root of that to solve it. It's important to try and download the contents of your head in some way and not stimulate yourself (oooh, matron :o) in to more big thoughts.

This is much easier said than done - meditate, read, whatever it takes to distract you and unwind. Over-thinking is a devilishly hard habit to break and takes a lot of practice. I'm not great at it! Learning breathing techniques might help you too, by slowing your breathing to a steady and controlled rate, you can get your heart rate down which can help relax.

These are just my thoughts on the subject... hope it might be a small help  :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Reply #64 on: March 23, 2009, 10:26:38 PM
I appreciate the help :tu:

I do read, probably far more than is healthy to be honest :-\

I have tried several relaxation techniques, but I just don't have the mental disipline to make them work ::)

I have tried valerian, and it does seem to work, but only gives me about a 10 -15 minute window to fall asleep before the effects ware off ::)

So out of all the options you've tried, what works best for you ???

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #65 on: March 23, 2009, 10:31:41 PM
I had forgotten about this thread.

I used to have terrible trouble sleeping but I now don't have any problems at all.  Instead of going to bed earlier in an attempt to get more sleep, I now go to bed really late (around half 12 or later) when I am actually feeling tired.  This way I am so knackered when I get into bed that I don't have any problems at all switching off as I pretty much go to sleep straight away.  I do this every night now, even if I am working an early and have to get up at half 5.

I reckon I have gone from getting 4 hours on average per night to 6 and I feel much better for it.
I'm back!!

Reply #66 on: March 23, 2009, 10:36:54 PM

I used to have terrible trouble sleeping but I now don't have any problems at all.  Instead of going to bed earlier in an attempt to get more sleep, I now go to bed really late (around half 12 or later) when I am actually feeling tired.  This way I am so knackered when I get into bed that I don't have any problems at all switching off as I pretty much go to sleep straight away.  I do this every night now, even if I am working an early and have to get up at half 5.

I reckon I have gone from getting 4 hours on average per night to 6 and I feel much better for it.
But (and with the deepest respect) your still young enough to get away with that :-\

I used to do the same thing in my early 20's, infact I don't remember sleeping much at all :D But now with this smashed up body of mine, i find anything less than 4 hours sleep and I start to struggle, I'm ok for about 48 hours of that, then it starts to take it's toll on me, especially the more knackered parts of me (ie foot, sturnum and yes brain :().

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #67 on: March 23, 2009, 10:41:24 PM

But (and with the deepest respect) your still young enough to get away with that :-\

I used to do the same thing in my early 20's, infact I don't remember sleeping much at all :D But now with this smashed up body of mine, i find anything less than 4 hours sleep and I start to struggle, I'm ok for about 48 hours of that, then it starts to take it's toll on me, especially the more knackered parts of me (ie foot, sturnum and yes brain :().

But some nights you do seem to go to bed particularly early and if your problems are anything like mine were it was shutting off that was the problem.  Going to bed early only gave me more time with my thoughts and therefore made me stay awake for literally hours.  I may now go to bed much later, but I am now asleep by 1am 90% of the time where before I would have been awake till at least 3am most of the time.

I'm not getting away with anything but more sleep.  :)
I'm back!!

Reply #68 on: March 23, 2009, 10:43:08 PM

But some nights you do seem to go to bed particularly early and if your problems are anything like mine were it was shutting off that was the problem.  Going to bed early only gave me more time with my thoughts and therefore made me stay awake for literally hours.  I may now go to bed much later, but I am now asleep by 1am 90% of the time where before I would have been awake till at least 3am most of the time.

I'm not getting away with anything but more sleep.  :)
But I only go to bed particularly early after a bad night's sleep the night before :-\

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #69 on: March 23, 2009, 10:45:48 PM
Must be awful usually when i go to bed I start breathing more deeply and usually within 1 or 2 minutes I wake up casue it's the next morning already ::) :D I can usually just shut my mind off even when I am awake though ;)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: March 23, 2009, 10:46:07 PM
Yeah, but you still don't sleep though do you.  :D

Obviously not everything will work the same for everyone, but when your issue is shutting off (like mine was) there seems little point in going to bed early to just lay there with your mind racing and getting peed off which makes things even worse.  Going to bed tired like I do now skips all that, plus I have more time on here too.
I'm back!!

Reply #71 on: March 23, 2009, 10:46:40 PM
Must be awful usually when i go to bed I start breathing more deeply and usually within 1 or 2 minutes I wake up casue it's the next morning already ::) :D I can usually just shut my mind off even when I am awake though ;)
Isn't it wonderful when people point out how well they sleep ::) :twak: :D

Reply #72 on: March 23, 2009, 10:48:22 PM

Obviously not everything will work the same for everyone, but when your issue is shutting off (like mine was) there seems little point in going to bed early to just lay there with your mind racing and getting peed off which makes things even worse.  Going to bed tired like I do now skips all that, plus I have more time on here too.
But I've been tired since 2am this morning :D

And I know that despite being knackered now, I'll still be lucky to grab more than 4 hours sleep >:(

I need a large mallet :think:

Flash

Reply #73 on: March 23, 2009, 10:51:02 PM

But I've been tired since 2am this morning :D

And I know that despite being knackered now, I'll still be lucky to grab more than 4 hours sleep >:(

I need a large mallet :think:

OK Dudes and Dudesses.....form an orderly queue :twak: :twak: :twak:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: March 23, 2009, 10:51:40 PM
Me first!  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #75 on: March 23, 2009, 10:52:51 PM
I feel so loved :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #76 on: March 23, 2009, 11:01:42 PM
I totally agree with only going to bed when you're tired - it's a pointless and frustrating experience otherwise.

I think the best things for me have been pain meds sadly. I try and not take them until late so they aid the process. Other than that, we make a nice cup of sleepy time tea (got chamomile and other things in it) and try to slow the pace of things. No shouty TV, no contentious discussions, no alcohol caffeine or nicotine obviously and if it's available, cuddles (or more of course). All of the herbs I mentioned have been helpful now and again but I don't take anything regularly now, especially prescribed pills.

I've tried to keep the bedroom calm and uncluttered. When I can't sleep I try playing patience on my phone for a while and if it's not working I get up and play on the tinternet.... then the night is lost!

I'm about to try and get an early one myself - I'll be back if it doesn't work  ::)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Reply #77 on: March 23, 2009, 11:03:57 PM
Maybe I just need to get a nice lass again then :)

Well if all goes well, I'll be trying to get a nice used model in May :)

Reply #78 on: March 23, 2009, 11:08:46 PM
Oh and sweet dream's :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #79 on: March 23, 2009, 11:14:52 PM

Even a not-nice one might help :d
I used to come here a lot.

Reply #80 on: March 23, 2009, 11:17:14 PM

Even a not-nice one might help :d

I've met faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too many of them i'm afraid :-\

I tend to steer well clear of the insane these days :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: March 23, 2009, 11:17:50 PM
You still talk to me?
I'm back!!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #82 on: March 24, 2009, 12:53:11 AM

I'll be trying to get a nice used model in May :)

You have one on back order or something  :think: :think: :think: or is May the mating month for Micky's  :think: :P :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: March 24, 2009, 01:09:27 AM

You have one on back order or something  :think: :think: :think: or is May the mating month for Micky's  :think: :P :D :D

May is her name :P

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #84 on: March 24, 2009, 04:16:34 AM
Have you been tested for sleep apnea?
No my trouble is just quieting my mind long enough to get to sleep :)
My wife has that problem and is on medication specifically for quieting her mind down.

I can't recall which one it is though.  I'll check with her tomorrow (she's in bed now) and find out which one it is.

Reply #85 on: March 24, 2009, 07:45:58 AM
Have you been tested for sleep apnea?
No my trouble is just quieting my mind long enough to get to sleep :)
My wife has that problem and is on medication specifically for quieting her mind down.

I can't recall which one it is though.  I'll check with her tomorrow (she's in bed now) and find out which one it is.
Thanks mate :tu:

Reply #86 on: March 24, 2009, 07:49:26 AM

I feel like that most days let alone months :D

No I've spent the last 3 years or so devoting all the time I'm able to my boy, now I want to live a little, settle down again, and hopefully get custody :)

But first I want to get the meet out of the way, as a last hurrah if you see what I mean, hence May :)

Flash

Reply #87 on: March 24, 2009, 09:06:19 AM
What do you mean "last hurrah"......you wont be quitting on us here at MT.org for the sake of a woman  :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #88 on: March 24, 2009, 12:17:52 PM
What do you mean "last hurrah"......you wont be quitting on us here at MT.org for the sake of a woman  :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:

Nah the way I read it Flash is Micky is hopping to settle down with one of you guys after the meet  :o :o :o :P

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: March 24, 2009, 12:40:27 PM

Nah the way I read it Flash is Micky is hopping to settle down with one of you guys after the meet  :o :o :o :P

Nick you can have him.  :o
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69