Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Extra bushing on back layer pin

nl Offline nitram

Extra bushing on back layer pin
on: January 05, 2021, 03:24:33 PM
So I just realized my Champion has an extra brass bushing on the pin holding the back tools. The bushing is between the liners of the Phillips / magnifier layer and I only have it on this particular model. My other Champions, Swisschamps and Explorers don’t have it.

The Champ has not been modded or repaired, I got it new in 1991 and I would guess it to be made around 85/86 if I go by my limited knowledge and research.

Why would it be there, was it an attempt at manufacturing a slightly stiffer layer? Is it just one of those quirky Vic things they only did for a brief time?

It can be seen in the middle here.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Extra bushing on back layer pin
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 03:55:27 PM
Vic added that to some models to help prevent the SAK body going from | | to / \ , as seen from the end.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline nitram

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 04:10:52 PM
Vic added that to some models to help prevent the SAK body going from | | to / \ , as seen from the end.

That’s kinda what I thought. The interesting thing (to me at least) is that none of my other Champs have it.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 09:17:46 PM
That’s kinda what I thought. The interesting thing (to me at least) is that none of my other Champs have it.

The collar is used roughly from’81 to ‘86 as I mentioned before in the Vintage thread

Attached is a pic of knives that I have dated as ‘80,’81,’84,’86 and ‘87.

I’m guessing that you have a 90° stop caplifter if you are thinking that your knife is ‘85-‘86?
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nl Offline nitram

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 10:06:30 PM
The collar is used roughly from’81 to ‘86 as I mentioned before in the Vintage thread

Attached is a pic of knives that I have dated as ‘80,’81,’84,’86 and ‘87.

I’m guessing that you have a 90° stop caplifter if you are thinking that your knife is ‘85-‘86?

Very interesting, thank you for the information  :) Those slimmer pliers on the early Swisschamp always look so nice

I was indeed basing the year on the half stop, the hole in the awl and the newer fine screwdriver and chisel, but I'm not exactly an expert just interested in learning about this.

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 04:06:57 AM
The relevant evolution was described very nicely by JazzBass in the following thread:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75371.0.html

nl Offline nitram

Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 07:43:51 AM
The relevant evolution was described very nicely by JazzBass in the following thread:
Thank you, very interesting  :hatsoff:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 03:25:44 AM

Added a refinement for the non-anodized liners.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 07:28:16 PM
Very interesting, thank you for the information  :) Those slimmer pliers on the early Swisschamp always look so nice
:cheers: and agreed on the pliers. I wish they kept this ‘look’ when the thickness was increased.
I was indeed basing the year on the half stop, the hole in the awl and the newer fine screwdriver and chisel, but I'm not exactly an expert just interested in learning about this.
Having the chisel means later ‘86. Next thing I’d look for would be the v on the tang stamp. Small v would mean late ‘86. If it’s a big V, then I’d check the bevel on the awl. If the bevel is on the tip side of the eyelet, it’s ‘87.

nl Offline nitram

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 07:58:15 PM
:cheers: and agreed on the pliers. I wish they kept this ‘look’ when the thickness was increased. Having the chisel means later ‘86. Next thing I’d look for would be the v on the tang stamp. Small v would mean late ‘86. If it’s a big V, then I’d check the bevel on the awl. If the bevel is on the tip side of the eyelet, it’s ‘87.
  :salute:

I keep missing out on the early Swisschamps, I’ll find a good one eventually.

The tang has a small v, so that makes it late ‘86. This Champion was given to me at a very special time in my life  and it is nice to know how old it is.

It is fascinating to learn more about the evolution of the tools, I keep finding new threads great information. A big thank you to all of you that so readily share your knowledge!  :hatsoff:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 08:42:16 PM
  :salute:

I keep missing out on the early Swisschamps, I’ll find a good one eventually.

The tang has a small v, so that makes it late ‘86. This Champion was given to me at a very special time in my life  and it is nice to know how old it is.

It is fascinating to learn more about the evolution of the tools, I keep finding new threads great information. A big thank you to all of you that so readily share your knowledge!  :hatsoff:

:cheers:

At least those champs are pretty easy to spot, even in bad auction pics. Best of luck finding one!

I find it interesting how many of us seem to have started our SAK journey with a Champion. Mine is an ‘84 in black scales.

nl Offline nitram

Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 09:02:23 PM
:cheers:

At least those champs are pretty easy to spot, even in bad auction pics. Best of luck finding one!

I find it interesting how many of us seem to have started our SAK journey with a Champion. Mine is an ‘84 in black scales.

True, those pliers are easy to spot. The right one will come along eventually :)
I thought I had bought one but received a Champion Plus. The seller had two and thought they were identical, not everybody is obsessed with details on knives.

The Champion is a great gateway to Vics and still one of my favourites. I tend to pick those up when I see a good one, they make great gifts too.

Actually my first was my grandfather's 84mm Tinker. It is in a bad state. I believe it has a cracked liner, the opener layer hardly has any resistance, that's the only reason I took a picture like this. The awl has been reground and the small blade has never had a tip as far back as I can remember. But I love that knife and the attached memories, I don't dare carry it anymore for fear of losing it.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 11:06:50 PM
 :tu: That’s a nice intro to SAKs example. And I like those original Tinkers.

nl Offline nitram

Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 11:19:20 PM
They’re great. And I never felt I was missing any functionality when I carried it for al those years.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%