Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone with a Wine Master?

us Offline DavZell

Anyone with a Wine Master?
on: February 21, 2021, 01:12:38 AM
I've been looking at both the Cheese Master and Wine Master.  The Wine Master seems pretty expensive for what it is. So, I was wondering how hard it might be to add the leverage bar-thing to another knife, perhaps even the Cheese Master.... and the Gourmet is born!

What I'd greatly appreciate would be some pictures from different angles, closed, partially opened, and opened, of the leverage bar.  If you're "that type" of person, a measurement of the thickness of the tang part would great, preferably in mm.  (Millimeters just work better for this stuff.  We Americans need to get on board that train!)

I'm hoping taking a bar from an existing high-quality wine opener and modifying it a bit might work.  Understanding how the tang is created and placed, that the bar would attached to, will hopefully be the hardest part.  If lucky, modifying an existing tool will work.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
David
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Anyone with a Wine Master?
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 10:09:54 AM
The Cheese Master is 111mm, while the Wine Master is 130mm.
The Winemaster has no back tools apart from the opener so the backspring for the knife is more in the center of the tool.
The Cheese Master does have backtools so half of the backsprings are near the outer edge of the tool.
I can provide pictures later.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 08:35:35 PM
The Cheese Master is 111mm, while the Wine Master is 130mm.
The Winemaster has no back tools apart from the opener so the backspring for the knife is more in the center of the tool.
The Cheese Master does have backtools so half of the backsprings are near the outer edge of the tool.
I can provide pictures later.

Thanks!  You're awesome.  I'm thinking I'll be making the lever, so sizing isn't an issue.  I presume the lever does not use a backspring.  I just need to see how the "real one" was put together for guidance.

David

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 10:12:19 PM
Good thing you quoted me. It caused a push notification reminding me.

Hope this helps:

Let me know if you need anything more specific :tu:

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 11:10:52 PM
I'll add a few pics of one of my Winemasters with a ruler as I think that may help you :)

Also, I'm the proud owner of a Wenger Switch2 (prototype) which happens to have a "corkscrew lever" and to be just a little bit shorter than a 111mm Vic. I've posted pics of it before but here are some more : https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMbbJXEyuewViJVu8

It may be easier to get a combo tool and add a the top piece from a regular corkscrew with folding lever though... The Winemaster's looks a bit like that's what happened.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 11:21:55 PM
Good thing you quoted me. It caused a push notification reminding me.

Hope this helps:
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Let me know if you need anything more specific :tu:

Thank you!  Could you take two more?  First, one from the side when closed, looking at the side of the lever, so I can see where the lever sits relative to its pivot and the body when it's closed.  Second, one from the end when closed, to show how the tang and the lever's pivot sit?

In other words, since that component has two pivots and two parts, I'm trying to figure out how they lie relative to the body when closed.  Does the tang kind-of point upwards, and the lever's pivot and lever stay above the body, or does part of the lever come down into the body when closed?  Does the u-shape of the lever wrap around the body in some way, or stay above it?

Your first pictures helped me understand how they used a tang and second pivot, rather than just a pivot through the lever.  That was very helpful.

Any pictures that might help me understand would be greatly appreciated.  I wish I could just go see one locally, but no such luck.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 11:22:35 PM
I'll add a few pics of one of my Winemasters with a ruler as I think that may help you :)

Also, I'm the proud owner of a Wenger Switch2 (prototype) which happens to have a "corkscrew lever" and to be just a little bit shorter than a 111mm Vic. I've posted pics of it before but here are some more : https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMbbJXEyuewViJVu8

It may be easier to get a combo tool and add a the top piece from a regular corkscrew with folding lever though... The Winemaster's looks a bit like that's what happened.

Thanks, Syem!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 05:03:44 PM
Oops! Forgot again :facepalm:

us Offline DavZell

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 09:59:29 PM
Oops! Forgot again :facepalm:

I'd say it's the thought that counts, but it's the thought that we lose track of!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25