Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Editing Own Posts

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Editing Own Posts
on: January 18, 2009, 03:45:26 AM
Interesting thing:

I can't edit my own posts if I made them from a different IP address (ie, work, wifi somewhere, etc)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Editing Own Posts
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:23:52 AM
Check out the "What's new" thread ::) and you'll find that after 10 minutes you can't edit your posts period anymore (unless of course you ask a mod if they'll let you)  :D Kind of a pain to get use too after being able to edit a month down the road if you choose :ahhh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 05:08:54 AM
Is that what it is?

I Protest!

I've been back editing old posts since before Def set up his first FTP, I demand my rights!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:41:22 AM
You have no right's, MT.O is a dictatorship, or did you miss that particular PM ??? :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:18:42 PM
The only real niggle with this is in the trade forum.  But like it has been said, a moderator can always help out if needed.
I'm back!!

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:18:51 PM
You have no right's, MT.O is a dictatorship, or did you miss that particular PM

In that case I am willing to betray my fellows for preferential treatment.

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 10:02:57 PM
You have no right's, MT.O is a dictatorship, or did you miss that particular PM

In that case I am willing to betray my fellows for preferential treatment.
I'll send you our generous and reasonable prices then :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 10:47:19 PM
I have told this story in a couple of PM's and I'd really like to make it public now so everyone knows why we made that change.

Some time ago, a disgruntled member who had offered some valuable information for the benefit of the community decided we were no longer good enough to have said information.  He then went back and systematically edited, altered or deleted his old posts, taking away any trace of useful information, diminishing the resource we have here.  I took personal offense to this action (which btw, I wasn't even a part of the problem) and limited the amount of editing time to protect posted information for everyone in the future.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 10:55:02 PM
Eh....

I could go either way on that.

I rather enjoy my (hopefully still more or less intact!) anonymity, and choice to submit information as I please to the INTERNETS! - I'd rather hate to feel that if I say something in a 2am stupor, that I'm stuck with it for life!

But hey, if I really cared, I'd run my own website with my own rules, so I guess I can suck it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 01:23:25 AM
I don't mind if folks want to change their drunken ramblings... but when information that really isn't available anywhere else (aka, the reason this site exists) is tampered with, I am not amused.

So, if you really want to change something, speak to a moderator.  They will be happy to remove any midnight admissions of passion for the Dutchess of York, while leaving historical and on topic information intact.

As for submitting info as you please.... well no one is pointing a gun to your head!  This forum is all voluntary!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 10:25:54 PM
If possible, I vote for extending the time to edit posts to a couple of hours if possible.

I think it would improve the quality of the board as it allows at least some time to edit/refine/clarify/amend posts in light of responses from other people, etc.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 11:54:31 PM
That can be done easily enough.  I only chose ten minutes as a starting point to figure out how much time someone really needs.  Anyone else want to see it bumped up to an hour or two?

Def

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 11:55:43 PM
I would, I'd say an hour and a half is plenty!  :cheers:
B

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 12:20:11 AM
If possible, I vote for extending the time to edit posts to a couple of hours if possible.

I think it would improve the quality of the board as it allows at least some time to edit/refine/clarify/amend posts in light of responses from other people, etc.

Plus, it reintroduces the possibility of making people look foolish :D

I think a couple of hours is better, as sometimes put together really long and detailed reviews that need a bit of "revisiting" after the event to make corrections. Gets my vote :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 12:26:04 AM
I think a couple of hours is better, as sometimes put together really long and detailed reviews that need a bit of "revisiting" after the event to make corrections. Gets my vote :tu:

That's what the "Preview" button is for. :D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 12:29:37 AM

That's what the "Preview" button is for. :D

I didn't mean for me ;)
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 04:14:55 PM
So this is a permanent thing then?

I haven't been posting a lot lately so I missed this change until I went to try and delete a for sale thread I had weeks ago after the items sold and found I couldn't, which led me here. I like to go back and fiddle with my posts like a compulsive; adding information or pictures I think will clarify whatever point I am posting about. I find the loss of such ability distressing. I don't think this policy should be board wide, nor should it be member-wide. Nor do I find it a particularly effective means to dealing with a problem. If the main thrust is to preserve information there are much better ways to do so.

Over at the Spyderco forums they have a "bombshell" thread wherein any member can post a direct quote to something interesting Sal Glesser has posted. They've gotten pretty good at this defacto archiving and rarely miss what he posts on several different forums. We have the ability to have a similar thing by either member involvement with a thread dedicated to that purpose or through use of the Wiki. This preserves the words but how do you deal with the pictures? Unless they are uploaded to the forum software any poster can still delete their photos through their hosting service, which is some cases is worse than deleting just the words. There are options, better ones that I feel are not as restrictive and deal with the problem more effectively.

All of the above is actually just skirting the main problem. It comes down to the fact that I am posting information I have created on a website created, operated and owned by someone else who pays the bills who has the ability to regulate as they see fit. Just as I have the ability to post as I see fit. However, had I known that my posts would become unmalleable in the future I would have acted accordingly with that knowledge and done things a little differently.

:-\

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 05:00:03 PM
I'd settle for the ability to add SOLD/GONE to the titles of trade threads.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 05:21:15 PM
If you have any other ideas, I am happy to hear them.  It is unfortunate that I have had to do this, but I really feel that the community lost some valuable information due to someone's immature reaction.  Due to the type and nature of the information lost, it is not likely that we will ever get it back, or at least spend literally years in the searching.

If it had been the typical "Ben and Mike" type threads I might not have been so concerned about it, but this was a deliberate sabotage.  I don't want to use the "greater good" type excuse, as that's been shoved in our faces enough everywhere else, but by the same token, I don't want to have the site's resources diminished over what amounts to a personal spat.

Again, as I said, I am open to other ideas, and would be very happy to find a viable alternative since I know this is a major pain in the arse for members.

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 06:23:46 PM
If you have any other ideas, I am happy to hear them.  It is unfortunate that I have had to do this, but I really feel that the community lost some valuable information due to someone's immature reaction.  Due to the type and nature of the information lost, it is not likely that we will ever get it back, or at least spend literally years in the searching.

If it had been the typical "Ben and Mike" type threads I might not have been so concerned about it, but this was a deliberate sabotage.  I don't want to use the "greater good" type excuse, as that's been shoved in our faces enough everywhere else, but by the same token, I don't want to have the site's resources diminished over what amounts to a personal spat.

Again, as I said, I am open to other ideas, and would be very happy to find a viable alternative since I know this is a major pain in the arse for members.

Def

What do you mean "Ben and Mike type threads"?  :pok: 

You saying we only talk crap??

Ok, maybe you're right.  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 10:02:48 PM

Def

What do you mean "Ben and Mike type threads"?  :pok: 

You saying we only talk crap??

Ok, maybe you're right.  :D
Sadly he probably is :D

Fortunatly there's a lot of us peskie Brit's dragging the site down now :D

Flash

Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 10:10:05 PM
Speak for yourself  :twak:

Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 10:10:49 PM
Speak for yourself  :twak:
Yes you are letting the team down a bit Nick, you really must try harder :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 02:58:00 PM
Oh dear, now you will really see just how dyslexic I am on a bad day  :-[

I think it's a good idea not to let people mess the forum around and that should be tantamount to our need to fiddle with our posts. Is it possible to allow someone to add a note to an existing post they previously made? That way we could add but not take away and anything added out of spite/stupidity can be quickly deleted by mods.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 03:53:30 PM
I don't believe that is an option.  Unfortunately it is all considered editing by the software, and it either allows it or doesn't allow it.

Def

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 05:33:36 PM
I don't believe that is an option.  Unfortunately it is all considered editing by the software, and it either allows it or doesn't allow it.

Def

I'm guessing it can't separate thread title from content either  ???  If it could that would help greatly in the trade forum.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 03:15:54 AM
Aside from asking a mod there is no other way to edit correct?

Could permission be given to edit to charter members?  I don't think that anyone who pays an annual fee would be as apt to sabotage the info on here :tu: and this is coming from me a non Charter member ;) but I have eventually gotten use to my posts having plenty of misspelled words and errors :P :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 07:12:44 AM
The titles are unfortunately lumped together with the post, so yeah, just allowing the title to be edited also doesn't work.

It is possible to have the Charter Members able to edit posts, but that's been a bit of an internal struggle with me since long before we actually instituted the Charter Member thing.  On some forums, being whatever fancy title they give their paid members means you have a greater status than the rest of the members.  Members who have been around for years are often seen as wrong or less worthy of listening to than anyone who is a paid member, even if that paid member has only been around a few weeks.  I never wanted the guys who can't or won't support the forum to feel like second class citizens, which is why just about all of the forum features like avatars, signature lines etc are available to everyone here.

Technically speaking, it is very easy to assign certain benefits to different membergroups, but it was more the implication that made me want to avoid that one.  Still, as with anything else here, it's open for discussion if anyone wants to have their say.

Def

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 06:42:24 PM
Listen, all I want is the ability to edit other people's posts for about 10-15 minutes.  >:D

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 06:52:43 PM
Listen, all I want is the ability to edit other people's posts for about 10-15 minutes.  >:D

Mike
Your getting very close to the no life club mate :o :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56