Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

swisstool or swisstool spirit?

Offline ecfiffer

swisstool or swisstool spirit?
on: January 18, 2009, 07:55:29 PM
i am looking to replace the POS china made mt that i found rumaging though an ex-employe's desk.  (dont freak out the person was gone for a month or two before salvaging their desk).  i have been looking more into MT's as of late, and thought that i'd score one when santa came by but he shafted me, darn clothes!)  i know i want to get one in black oxide.  i have narrowed my list down to one of two.  either the swisstool or the spirit.

i work as an it spec. at a hospital here in town so that means dealing a lot with computers/ printers/ wiring, data/telcomm stuff ya know.

those who have them (and im sure there are those that have multiple of each) could you chim inwith your 2 cents and let me know your honest opinion of both.   thanks!
'

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: swisstool or swisstool spirit?
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:18:10 PM
Have you considered a Victorinox Cybertool? A CT 34 would be ideal for your uses. But, if you need a Vic ST of some sort then I'd go for the Spirit. It's compact, relatively lite, and it has a ton of tools! The screwdrivers are rounded so they will slip.. Have you considered any Leatherman tools? Or do you have your heart set on a SwissTool?
B

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 10:04:39 PM
Both the Spirit and SwissTool are excellent choices. This is a gross oversimplification, but they are almost the same tool in 2 different sizes. The Spirit is a regular size and the SwissTool is the heavy duty size.

There is an excellent thread here which compares the 2 tools in detail with photos that you should search for. It will show you the precise differences.

Depending upon the type of work you do, you might want to consider complimenting it with another tool. If you are mainly working inside computers, you might want a smaller, lighter tool as well. Perhaps the CyberTool previously mentioned, or a Micra, Squirt, or even just a Tinker.

Regardless, the Spirit and SwissTools are both excellent MTs and highly recommended. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.  :cheers:

[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:21:15 PM
The Spirit would be better for more delicate work with it's small frame and (kind of) needle nose pliers.  Great for the technical stuff you mentioned you would use it for mainly.

I own both a black Spirit and black Swisstool, and there is a difference in the finish;  The Swisstool has more of a mirrir black finish, and my Spirit has more of a tactile flat black finish.  I'm not sure if over the years this has changed in one way or another though..
[

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:38:06 PM
thanks guys....
i have looked at the cybertool, and i'd love to get the cybertool lite, but i already have a screwdriver that has a pair of double sided bits in it...  i may stay on my wish list.  i am looking more for something that i can carry at work and use there but also use at home.  i take my work tools home with me so some of my co-workers would stop taking them and not asking...  i had also looked at the paladin tools as well, but i'm kinda hard up about the black oxide thing.  i really dont want to look like i went to lowes and bought a mt ya know?  also i have looked at the leathermans as well.  nice tools, just not really all i was thinking it would be in terms of cost.  i mean i can get a spirit off ebay for cheaper then a black oxide wave, and the spirit has more tools on it.   :climber:

thanks again guys
'

us Offline cgjones

Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:42:00 PM
I work in the IT department of a small college. I own both models, but I carry the SwissTool everyday.

Either model would certainly work fine as a general multitool in an IT environment, with the Spirit possibly having a slight advantage due to it's smaller size.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:24:10 PM
For computer work I wouldn't necessary recommend either as I find long nosed pliers essential when working on computers, but if you are looking for a Swisstool then I would probably recommend the Spirit due to it being more pocketable and smaller overall.
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:54:03 AM
I have both and really like them a lot, I say go with the Spirit for it's better carry size and
good ergonomics, then get it's big brother! :tu:

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 06:23:34 PM
thanks again... im still on the fence about it...  i did see this while i was walking around target today http://www.target.com/Eddie-Bauer-Outdoor-Multi-Tool/dp/B0007LSDR4/sr=1-13/qid=1232385359/ref=sr_1_13/182-6629839-2037723?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Aeddie%20bauer%2Cn%3A1038604%2Cp%5F36%3A%240-%2424&page=1
it seemed eddie bauer got a look-a-like for the cyber tool lite...  the reviews say enough though!
'

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 06:50:20 PM
Probably the Spirit , but you will end up owning both anyway . I would think that a Cybertool lite would also be well worth a look .

The build quality of the Spirit will blow you away , consider the spirit plus , comes with a nifty little 1/4 hex driver kit . You will find lots of uses around the house and outdoors .

I don't mean to take anything away from the Swisstool , also a super piece of kit . My Spydie sence tells me you will prefer the Spirit .

Chris

P.S. Welcome to the Forum !

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 09:06:26 PM
im leaning to the spirit but i know it will come down to how much i can spend and the least amount is better for us right now.  money is tight with my wife going back to school and my kiddies are in day care. :drink: :drink: :drink:

damn i need a beer... nah   a jack n coke right about now!
'

Offline tanker

Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 09:27:27 PM
thanks again... im still on the fence about it...  i did see this while i was walking around target today http://www.target.com/Eddie-Bauer-Outdoor-Multi-Tool/dp/B0007LSDR4/sr=1-13/qid=1232385359/ref=sr_1_13/182-6629839-2037723?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Aeddie%20bauer%2Cn%3A1038604%2Cp%5F36%3A%240-%2424&page=1
it seemed eddie bauer got a look-a-like for the cyber tool lite...  the reviews say enough though!

Please forget about the Eddie Bauer tool, I bought some time ago a Micra-LookAlike from EB and the only good that came up with this was a small led flashlight and the nylon sheath...where I put my classic LM Micra. Buy this one instead http://outdoorsuppliesuk.com/victorinox/53942 (BLUEEEE!!!! :ahhh) or the Spirit of course, hell of a tool :tu:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:30:54 PM by tanker »
T

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 03:13:14 AM
well thanks to all.  like i mentioned earlier, money will be a huge factor.. ive found a swisstool in black oxide :drool: for 52 and the cheapest i cant find a spirit is 62ish again in black oxide.  but ive always liked the look of the gerbers, and they fit the buget a lot nicer then vicks or sogs... im hopeless!  too many mt's and not enough money.... :ahhh :ahhh  whos up for a beer?  its 5o'clock some where right  :cheers:
'

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 03:16:25 AM
Beer?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline getahl

Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 06:03:37 PM
Maybe the bottle has fold-out scissors and bottle opener.

The Spirit is the nice toy. Anything I have to say will just be an echo of the above posts. You can't really go wrong with either the ST or the Spirit; both are quality.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 06:42:40 PM
I have both, but find the Spirit's pliers are more comfortable to use because they curve slightly.  But both are very capable tools in the other areas.

Best of luck,
Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%