Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

to work we go

Sean · 12 · 1502

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
to work we go
on: January 20, 2009, 04:03:54 AM
Of the few multi pliers I own, the CRKT Zillatool Jr, (picked it up today) is going to be "accompanying" me to work each and every day until it either breaks, gets lost, or worst, fails expectation.

I've been looking around for a small multi-tool with a partially serrated blade in which to saw through cardboard boxes and such (which in itself isn't hard to find) but that also has a couple of extra features on tap like bits, and pliers all in a package that clips nicely inside black slacks and shows up "low profile" with minimal dollar outlay.

So after oiling the points, honing the blade, and testing function.  This tool is on it's way into "Hell's Kitchen". 

always rooting for the underdawgs! ;)
sean
CRKT JR 003.JPG
* CRKT JR 003.JPG (Filesize: 50.78 KB)
CRKT JR 007.JPG
* CRKT JR 007.JPG (Filesize: 44.11 KB)

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: to work we go
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:11:23 AM
Have you looked at the skeletool cx?
B

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 04:24:38 AM
If you have to cut a lot of card board box you should get a gerber EAB. Card board are very hard on knives due to impurities inside and even today's super steels don't last very long.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:26:08 AM
I really got to get a Zilla or Zilla Jr.  They sure are cheap enough...I should be able to get one for under $25..

I'd be interested in your thoughts on it after some use Sean :tu:
[

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 04:28:32 AM
I did check it out.  A real looker and I'm assuming a pretty competent tool.  I just thought I would "spread the wealth" a little and put some dollars elsewhere.  I've up until joining this forum had only Leatherman pliers.  I thought I would give a few other companies a go. :)

sean

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:32:54 AM
Good on you.  I just ordered a Zilla Jr (and a Guppie).  I'm interested on how to combine the Guppie with my Skeletool (or Zilla Jr). around the farm.  It is surprising how often a real wrench comes in handy.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 05:40:10 AM
I really got to get a Zilla or Zilla Jr.  They sure are cheap enough...I should be able to get one for under $25..

I'd be interested in your thoughts on it after some use Sean :tu:

will do ! :)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:23:35 PM
this is the last tool I will be buying for awhile.  Wasn't suppose to be even buy it.  I've blown the tool budget. :)  So now it's time to put them to use and maybe do a review or two in the future.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 04:47:22 PM
this is the last tool I will be buying for awhile.  Wasn't suppose to be even buy it.  I've blown the tool budget. :)  So now it's time to put them to use and maybe do a review or two in the future.

Yeah right!  :D
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 02:15:33 AM
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it too Sean. I can't make my mind up about it.

I have Def's Zilla here, and I like the fact that it's a bit different to the other tools in it's class, but.... it seems a bit unwieldy? The Jr. does seem to be a slightly better size for the design I think, but I haven't seen one of those in the flesh.
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 07:38:41 AM
Yeah,

I know Def just picked one up recently also.  As a matter of fact he offered to go in together on some but I politely declined because I didn't think I should spend anymore moola for a bit.  But took the gf out shopping at the mall the other day and they had them in one of our local knife retailers and just couldn't resist grabbing one.
They did have the larger zilla and of course the jr. which is the one I purchased.  The jr. seems to be just the perfect size for work and it really ripped through the cardboard when I put it to task today.  I asked the salesperson about warranty and she said if I break it bring it back and she'd give me another one. It has a limited lifetime warranty. 
The Zilla Jr. will be the plier I end up carrying around the most because of my work.

sean

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 11:38:41 AM
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it too Sean. I can't make my mind up about it.

I have Def's Zilla here, and I like the fact that it's a bit different to the other tools in it's class, but.... it seems a bit unwieldy? The Jr. does seem to be a slightly better size for the design I think, but I haven't seen one of those in the flesh.

I really liked the Zilla but just thought that for it's size it should have more function.  I think the Jr will be a good tool to own.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD