Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge AL

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Charge AL
on: March 09, 2007, 10:27:01 AM
I got the LM Charge AL in the mail today and thought I post some pics to see how it compares to the Ti that I have.  I like the solid sturdy feel of the tool.  I'm not to sure about the Leatherman Charge name "plate" on the handle. I kind of wish LM kept both handles black. 
tial.jpg
* tial.jpg (Filesize: 31.76 KB)
tial2.jpg
* tial2.jpg (Filesize: 46.25 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: Charge AL
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:29:27 AM
some more
tial3.jpg
* tial3.jpg (Filesize: 44.26 KB)
tial4.jpg
* tial4.jpg (Filesize: 32.41 KB)
tial5.jpg
* tial5.jpg (Filesize: 42.9 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:32:30 AM
Last three
tial6.jpg
* tial6.jpg (Filesize: 42.11 KB)
tial7.jpg
* tial7.jpg (Filesize: 46.37 KB)
tial8.jpg
* tial8.jpg (Filesize: 39.04 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 01:29:16 PM
Nice pics, as usual prime!
I just picked up an ALX myself last week. Other than the handle scales and the knurled pivot screws it seems to be identical to my older XTi. I too could have done without the big shiny Leatherman logo on the side. Instead, it would have been nicer had they simply cast the logo into the aluminum (like they did previously with the titanium scales) then anodize the whole thing black. Subtle is better.

The black anodizing is bonded right into the surface of the aluminum. Theoretically, it should not scratch or wear off nearly as easily as black oxide finished steel. However, the very hardness that makes this finish resistant to scratching, also might make it susceptable to chipping. Time will tell.

The only other difference I noticed was pretty minor; the washers alongside the four outer blades seem to be slightly bigger and more of a bronze color. Maybe an improvement of some kind, I don't know, I haven't owned the tool long enough to see anything so far. Also, all four of the liner locks on the outer blades lock up nicely right in the middle of their stroke. None are anywhere near "bottoming out."

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 04:40:42 PM
I love matte black, but something about these scales looks cheap to me.  Do they look different in person, like some cars look better in person?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 07:00:07 PM
The only other difference I noticed was pretty minor; the washers alongside the four outer blades seem to be slightly bigger and more of a bronze color.
I noticed that about the bronze washers as well.  They are bigger than on my Ti.
tial9.jpg
* tial9.jpg (Filesize: 34.48 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 01:47:20 AM
I love matte black, but something about these scales looks cheap to me.  Do they look different in person, like some cars look better in person?

The matte black handle scales themselves are fine. They actually look pretty good in contrast to the stainless steel pliers and blades. If only they would have left off that silly nameplate.....
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 03:31:11 AM
In the pictures of the Charge Ti and AL side-by-side, the AL looks wider.  Is it noticeable maybe due to the washers or is it just my eyesight?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 07:33:27 AM
I agree with Bob that the nameplate should have been left off. It would have looked much nicer all black.
"

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 07:33:24 PM
Can the nameplate be popped off?  If so you might be able to replace that panel with a blank one for engraving...if you know how to shape metal or know someone who does :-X
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 08:46:47 PM
Can the nameplate be popped off?  If so you might be able to replace that panel with a blank one for engraving...if you know how to shape metal or know someone who does :-X

Hmmm....yah, the name plate is only held on with a couple of rivets. The knurled pivot screws would have to be removed in order to get at the backside of the black aluminum sideplates. That would allow a person to drill off the back end of the rivet.

A new plate could be fashioned from sheet metal with a belt sander. It could be stamped with the owners name or something I suppose.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 09:01:37 PM
In the pictures of the Charge Ti and AL side-by-side, the AL looks wider.  Is it noticeable maybe due to the washers or is it just my eyesight?

By golly you are correct sir! I hadn't noticed. Here are some thickness measurements:

Charge ALX, aluminum scales     Charge Ti, titanium scales        New Wave, no scales

thickness measured
over scales                                .760                                         .725                                   .715

thickness measured
over bolt heads                          .860                                        .805                                    .745

The ALX is nearly 1/8"  (3mm) thicker than the Wave, even though both tools have the same implements. I gotta question the logic behind that......
thick.jpg
* thick.jpg (Filesize: 34.8 KB)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 10:50:17 PM
I thought the handles were a little thicker than the Ti after handling it for awhile
ChargeAL2.jpg
* ChargeAL2.jpg (Filesize: 57.34 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 02:34:06 AM
I found the first problem caused by extra thickness of the AL. I tried use the Leather sheath with the AL and I couldn't get the darn thing to snap shut over the AL.  I finally got it shut after much pushing.  It is nearly impossible to carry the bit kit behind the AL and snap the sheath shut. I tried the TI and had no problem using closing the sheath.
"

Offline anbqanbq

Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 09:49:31 PM
In my oppion, The Ti should be stronger than the AL. I once phoned the company. They said the price of Titanium is hiking up so much, that is why they changed the handle material. I would prefer the Ti. It would be better if they could carefully finish the torerance of the pivot to make sure the line lock stops right in the middle of stroke. It seems there is no final quality check for each tool as I observed.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 12:11:23 AM
I've been carrying my ALX for a couple weeks now. It is starting to grow on me. (On mine anyhow) all four of the liner locks stop in the middle of the stroke where they are supposed to. And the sheath snapped up just fine after a few minutes of snapping and unsnapping. I think it just needed to be used and loosened up a bit.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 09:31:45 PM
Once I loosened up the sheath it worked fine for me as well. 
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 03:24:32 AM
I tell ya' though, the sweetest thing about the Charge series of tools is that one-hand opening blade. Flicking the knife out is so slick and fast, it's a real joy. Same goes for folding the knife back up when you're through, just pop the liner lock and snap it shut, all with one hand.

There are pros and cons when comparing the Charge to other brands, but this is its strong suit.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 03:32:02 AM
I agree with you there Bob. I always try to change my EDC mutltitool every once and a while. But I always seem to miss the one hand opening blades.  It's not a huge thing.  But's it sure is nice to have around when you need it.
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD