Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK-alike Challenge!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
SAK-alike Challenge!
on: April 25, 2021, 02:04:52 PM
Or something. We may have to revisit the title. :think:

We've done so many individual SAK model challenges. Let's give the other guys a chance to shine and prove themselves. :pok:
There are tons of options out there. Surely you have one you really like. Well, this is your chance to carry it and show us how good it actually is.

So what would be eligible? I was thinking SAK-alikes, aka multi-layered, knife-based pocket tools. But then again, why not allow modern folding knives with other tools? So, as long as it is not pliers-based, and has at least two tools, it is probably good to go.

Actual SAKs could sit this one out, I think. We have tons of SAK challenges. Why not have a month of oddballs?

I am game for June/July/September.

Any takers? :cheers:

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SAK-alike Challenge!
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 02:23:16 PM
Sounds good RP :like:

Was thinking I’d do the Supertool challenge in June and maybe rotational in September :dunno: so July would probably suit me best if that works?

Are we allowed to try different sak-a-likes during the challenge?
Be a good chance to put some of my army knives to the test
:cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 02:51:54 PM
I've been eyeing the ST challenge too, but I can do that one whenever I want.

I am fine with people changing it up during the challenge.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 03:09:03 PM
This sounds interesting.  Tell me more.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 03:33:44 PM
July works for me.  This sounds like fun!
Barry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 03:50:00 PM
I'm in!   The only two challenges I'm in is May's "Not a 110" challenge and August's "Daredevil Challenge".  I have been wanting to give more of my oddballs a chance in a challenge. I've not really used non-SAKs in challenges much, I had a Demo Knife I often used during the Soldier Challenge; and Kamp Kings, Scouts, Cub Scouts, and Campers saw use during a Traditional Challenge.  And an excuse to get more use out of my Crater C33T and Free T2. Recently got an Adler-made Camper-alike sold by Schrade from Jim recently that will see use.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 03:57:40 PM
I'll most likely jump in. I just have to choose and purchase the requisite tool.  :think:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 04:08:36 PM
Sounds like fun!
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Sos24

Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 08:30:20 PM
I usually do the Traditional Challenge in July and was planning on doing the Pocket Rocket in June, so September would work best for me.  If another month, I’ll have to decide.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 09:06:08 PM
I could be up for this  :tu:

I'm doing the Daredevil challenge but have a sneaking suspicion I've signed up for something else as well  :think:

I'll give it a tentative yes  :dunno:

I've been thinking about getting a Swiza (and other SAK-alikes) so.... :whistle:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Adam5

Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 10:32:27 PM
I'm in! I was going to buy a Harvester (the closest model to the Electrician Plus that I really want) for my very first knife-based MT, but I can look for something non-SAK.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 12:14:42 AM
I added a poll. Please vote for the month you want and we'll take it from there l I guess. :cheers:

I am ok with any of the three.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 12:32:19 AM
I added a poll. Please vote for the month you want and we'll take it from there l I guess. :cheers:

I am ok with any of the three.
I have ideas, and those ideas are most applicable in September, but I still voted for any of the three.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 11:35:28 PM
I'm looking at the Gerber Armbars, and some color options aren't in stock until June.  :dunno:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 02:43:52 PM
Or something. We may have to revisit the title. :think:

The Multifunctional Knife Challenge? The Knife-Based Multitool Challenge?

We could cross-post discussion on the Comprehensive Knife Based MT thread to drum up more participants.

I can't change my vote... I'd voted for June and would prefer anything but June (since the Armbar I'm looking for is on backorder)

I'm also still unsure about what tool to get for the challenge - the Armbar is the frontrunner... if only it would have a passable screwdriver   :rant:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 08:32:57 AM
I don't think I have anything in September and I have some options so why not  :think:

My current options would be the

Boker.. bugger the name eludes me, CF scaled SAK with the weird strap cutting screwdriver doodad

Boker Minitool- Blade and scissors, but plenty of time to try and get the one with an opener too

leatherman Free T4- Really enjoy this one after I sorted the blade deployment so this will definitely be in there

Leatherman Style I think counts since it isn't plier based?

I know I own many cheap, not suitable to even look at for extended periods, SAKalikes from my youth, but there's probably a thing or two I'm missing. I'll probably end up carrying them all simultaneously anyway  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 09:23:58 AM
September is looking good. :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 03:55:18 PM
I don't think I have anything in September and I have some options so why not  :think:

My current options would be the

Boker.. bugger the name eludes me, CF scaled SAK with the weird strap cutting screwdriver doodad

Boker Minitool- Blade and scissors, but plenty of time to try and get the one with an opener too

leatherman Free T4- Really enjoy this one after I sorted the blade deployment so this will definitely be in there

Leatherman Style I think counts since it isn't plier based?

I know I own many cheap, not suitable to even look at for extended periods, SAKalikes from my youth, but there's probably a thing or two I'm missing. I'll probably end up carrying them all simultaneously anyway  :dunno:

Sounds to be a common problem with the Free T2 and T4... with the opening hole being too far from the pivot.  I've really taken to the Skeletool KBX (knife) since I got the hang of opening it one-handed without catapulting the knife across the room.  That's going to be the #1 learning experience for me with this challenge, I think - getting a sense of which tools are easy to open.  My dislike for a nail nick grows with each day.... and I don't know why that is,

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 09:24:58 PM
Sounds to be a common problem with the Free T2 and T4... with the opening hole being too far from the pivot.  I've really taken to the Skeletool KBX (knife) since I got the hang of opening it one-handed without catapulting the knife across the room.  That's going to be the #1 learning experience for me with this challenge, I think - getting a sense of which tools are easy to open.  My dislike for a nail nick grows with each day.... and I don't know why that is,

I'm a knife guy before I'm a multitool guy, so I find it difficult to carry a nail nick only option all of the time but I'll make do if it's a challenge or something.

I had to work some nano oil in to greak the resistance down on the T4, I wouldn't say distance from the pivot is the primary issue, the (magnetic?) detent system and overall odd placement of the pivot seem to be the leading cause. If the pivot was more central to the handle it'd be an easier time, I'd also prefer if the lock travelled in reverse, pushing forwrds is a much more natural thumb motion then the awkward sideways and backwards motion that it is now.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 01:19:06 PM
 :mail:

Armbar Slim Cut is here. It has the tools I use most on the Pioneer X... except for the tool that I use the most - the awl. The choice is intentional. I’m curious to see how I get by without a “spikey thing”. Sometimes I think all I need to EDC is a “spikey” thing.  :facepalm:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 04:52:54 PM
I am looking forward to this. Victorinox and Leatherman are excellent, and I will do more challenges with those, but there are many great choices out there. I was thinking of using the Roxon KS, but why not live a little, and go with the Ruike LD51? Pliers, saw, a nice pokey in-line reamer, even a glass-breaker. I especially like the blade on it. I should try to find a sheath for it. :think:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 09:25:20 PM
I am looking forward to this. Victorinox and Leatherman are excellent, and I will do more challenges with those, but there are many great choices out there. I was thinking of using the Roxon KS, but why not live a little, and go with the Ruike LD51? Pliers, saw, a nice pokey in-line reamer, even a glass-breaker. I especially like the blade on it. I should try to find a sheath for it. :think:
I'm not sure how I feel on the Ruike M41 pliers yet, but the scissors have really won me over.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 13, 2021, 02:00:45 PM
How about re-naming this to the "Not Your Father's Pocketknife Challenge"?  Since most of these tools are off the beaten path, so to speak...

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 19, 2021, 06:00:13 PM
I'm in. But... do I have to limit it to just one of my SAK-alikes? I have several that I'd love to test, I could do one per week...

Charles.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #25 on: May 20, 2021, 09:51:22 AM
June is the Super Tool 300 challenge, July is the Dean51 Memorial Trad challenge, September is the MTO rotational challenge.  I've already done all of these and have the badges for them so I'd prefer June, but I'm up for any of these months. :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #26 on: May 20, 2021, 11:25:55 AM
 :like:
I think we can switch it up for the challenge.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #27 on: May 29, 2021, 12:37:05 PM
Just giving this a bump.  Have we decided which month yet?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 13, 2021, 07:47:30 PM
I've been fidgeting with... err.. I mean... breaking in my Gerber Armbar.   

Looking forward to this challenge.   :woohoo:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD