Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Gas Station MRE challenge

Nix · 1119 · 31650

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
The Gas Station MRE challenge
on: May 02, 2021, 08:00:35 PM

GSMRE challenge concept:

The legendary…sometimes loathed…military MRE. Call it a ‘meal ready to eat’, ‘mostly repugnant edibles’, ‘meal refuses to exit’, ‘meal rejected by enemy’, or a ‘meal rarely enjoyed.’  No matter the name, the MRE has a durable place in legend and lore. The only thing more durable than the MRE’s notoriety may be the MRE’s themselves. The shelf life was designed to be 5 years, but many are eaten decades later. Who knows how long these things really last......?

Recent versions of the MRE often looks like they were compiled from snacks picked up at the local gas station…and that’s where the idea for this challenge was born.

In this challenge, participants….let’s call them ‘diners’…are going to take the idea of the MRE—an assortment of shelf-stable foods crammed into a small, man-portable, package—and develop their own ‘Gas Station MRE’ from items readily found shops, stores, or online. A ‘GSMRE’.

Each diner will create a 24-hour ration according to his or her dietary preferences. We’ll post snapshots of the completed GSMRE, leave it on the shelf for a week or so, then all consume our ‘rats’ on the same day.

Hopefully this challenge will spark some ideas for food and fuel to take on hikes, camping trips, or that escape to the hills when the zombie apocalypse arrives. If nothing else, it should be fun…and filling. By comparing notes and sharing dinning experiences we may all learn a little…and maybe even develop some respect for that thing known as the “MRE”.

Unfamiliar with MRE’s? Don’t worry, there are many resources out there. Complete menu lists are available on-line and videos abound on the Youtube. (Steve1989MREInfo is one of the best.)

Here’s a link to a review by Steve of a New Zealand 24-hour ration, a good place to start thinking about what you might want in your GSMRE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MafUjP88Lm0&t=1s

To keep the challenge somewhat uniform (no pun intended), there are some DO’s and DON’T’s to be observed:

• DO use common sense and safe food handling practices while participating in this challenge. Food borne illness can cause serious illness and even death. If something doesn’t seem safe, DON’T eat it….don’t even touch it! Rule of thumb: if you can’t peel it, cook it.

• This is a 24 hour ‘mission’, so please DO assemble a 24-hour ration in the style of a military ration or MRE. Please DO post the contents and menu design for your ration.

• DO be sure the food in your GSMRE contains a minimum caloric value of 2400 Kcal (There is solid military reasoning behind this number). 3000 - 3700 Kcal is closer to the US military standard for calories in temperate climates.

• While 2400 Kcal is our minimum, DO add extra calories if you like—if you will be working or camping outside in a cold weather environment, you may wish to assemble a ration of 4000-5000 Kcal. Anartic trekkers aim for 7000 Kcal per day.

• Diners DON’T have to eat the entire ration as assembled. Military personnel typically eat only 75-80% of their rations. This can be a problem for sustained operations!

• DO make your ration tasty and appealing. One of the challenges of military ration designers is get troops to eat all their food.

• DO create a breakfast menu, midday meal/snack menu, and supper menu from what ever items you like. Additional snacks are permitted…even encouraged. You can use 2400 Kcal of snickers bars if you really want, but, remember this is the only food you’ll be eating for 24-hours.

• DO include beverages! Each menu should contain food and drink items. No MRE is complete without having some “Coffee, instant, type II” or a delicious “Beverage base powder, lemon” component. Participants will choose their own appealing beverage mixes to include in the GSMRE according to their personal preferences. Hint: Gatorade fruit punch really hits the spot on a hot day.

• DON’T include items that have a long cook or prep time. Military field rations are designed to be eaten quickly. If it can’t be prepared and eaten within 30 minutes, DON’T include it.

• DO ensure that each food item is shelf stable, safe for consumption after being left at room temperature for days, weeks, and months, and capable of being transported by backpack, school bag, or haversack.

• DO include food that can be heated up before serving. Warm rations are typically more palatable. Who doesn’t like a hot meal? Military rations around the world use different methods of reheating and some require hot water. For this challenge, all reheating methods are permitted and encouraged. However, any component that requires reheating or cooking, e.g. freeze-dried food, must be capable of being prepared using a camping stove or open fire.

• DO pack up all your items into a waterproof bag or sack capable of fitting into a backpack. Aim for a 2-gallon or 4L size maximum.

• DO include a separate bottle of hot sauce. You’ll be happy about that later. Just keepin’ it real….

How the GSMRE challenge will be run:

Today…until storage day: diners will sign up and begin assembling their “Gas Station MRE’s”.

May 31, 2021, aka “Storage Day”: Each participant will post a photo of their packed  up GSMRE and store it in the proverbial “cool, dry spot”.

June 05, 2021, aka “Chow day”: Beginning at 0001 Local time…or whenever the alarm bell rings… each diner will consume the items in their MRE for the next 24 hours. No other food will be eaten during “Chow day”, just the stuff in your GSMRE. This includes beverages! Your carefully crafted menu plans may be disregarded…’cuz that’s what happens…but you are entirely reliant on your GSMRE (and extra water). Please post photos of meals eaten or action shots of that grape jelly on your face. Photos can be posted later if you don’t have internet access during Chow Day, but we want to see what you ate and how you ate it. As Steve would say, “let’s get that out on a tray!”

June 06, 2021: GSMRE diners will be asked to provide some feedback on their rations and experiences. Did you have too much food? Too little? Was it too salty? Too sweet? Would more beverages have been nice? Did your ration survive the 7-day storage period? Let the other GSMRE sufferers diners know what worked...and what didn't! 

If you are ready to grab a spork or ration spoon and jump in...and you should be...let's get started!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: The Gas Station MRE challenge
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 08:02:24 PM
GSMRE designers and diners

01 Nix, aka 'Mr Spork'

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 08:13:23 PM

01 Nix, aka 'Mr Spork'
02 Magentus, aka 'Dr Tray'
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 08:15:45 PM
Excellent!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 08:16:36 PM

01 Nix, aka 'Mr Spork'

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 08:19:05 PM
Uh....Mags....I'm just thinking out loud here.... a 2-gallon sack of oats and a pail full of salt....not exactly what we mean by MRE....ya know?   :pok:

Not judging....

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 08:23:53 PM
Uh....Mags....I'm just thinking out loud here.... a 2-gallon sack of oats and a pail full of salt....not exactly what we mean by MRE....ya know?   :pok:

Not judging....
Have to work with what we got Nix. And that's a whole mess of oats and salt. 24/7  :dunno:

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 12:08:46 AM
Have to work with what we got Nix. And that's a whole mess of oats and salt. 24/7  :dunno:
No Hard Tacks (worm castles)?

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 12:13:32 AM

I think Mags is worried about the effects extra protein might have on the crew.....  :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 12:14:32 AM

Mags, I know you don't want to raise expectations, but perhaps you could add a few moldy raisins or rancid peanuts.....just for variety.  :dunno:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 01:40:08 AM
Technical question

Can we use components from an MRE or is that just too silly?
 I already keep some of that stuff around ....... just in case you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 01:45:43 AM
I got stuck in a blizzard on a job in Maine a few years ago on my birthday of course and luckily I plan for this!

2 days in this house installing invisible speakers like we all do.

The Client thought this was hilarious too!

It was pretty funny

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 01:49:32 AM
Technical question

Can we use components from an MRE or is that just too silly?
 I already keep some of that stuff around ....... just in case you know.

I'm in the same boat. I have some old bits and pieces from actual US MRE's stashed in with my fishing/camping gear. Never know wen that old peanut butter might come in handy.... :rofl:.

However, for purposes of this challenge, actual MRE's or MRE components are excluded. ( I meant to add that as a DON'T in the opening post, so thanks for reminding me.  :tu: )

In keeping with the spirit of the "Gas Station" MRE, please use off-the shelf items that anyone could reasonably use. What can you use that you might find in a Gas Station, Mini-mart, Supermarket, or hardware store.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 01:50:44 AM
I got stuck in a blizzard on a job in Maine a few years ago on my birthday of course and luckily I plan for this!

2 days in this house installing invisible speakers like we all do.

The Client thought this was hilarious too!

It was pretty funny

For a while I kept a US MRE stashed in my truck in Winter.....just in case......  :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 01:57:23 AM
In keeping with the spirit of the "Gas Station" MRE, please use off-the shelf items that anyone could reasonably use. What can you use that you might find in a Gas Station, Mini-mart, Supermarket, or hardware store.
Does that include petrol stations, for those of us who buy our fuel in liquid format?  ;)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 02:30:27 AM
Heheheheh.....yeah....petrol stations....service stations.....garages.....wherever you can find some shelf-stable food that you might pack for a camping trip, day at the beach, or flight from a wildfire.   :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 06:58:45 AM
For a while I kept a US MRE stashed in my truck in Winter.....just in case......  :tu:

My vehicle has two hidden compartments (about 8x18x3 inches each) that I keep some basic survival items in including MRE and freeze-dried meal components in.  It also has a small emergency stove (like esbit).  Never know when something might come in handy.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 07:08:18 AM
I’m not sure whether or not I will participate.

As I was telling the wife about it, she was like please no, probably knowing it is the kind of thing I would easily do and pretty much have before.  Maybe she’ll change her mind.

Either way, because you mentioned “online”, I thought about this website I came across a while ago.  The website sells all sorts of travel-size items, to include a decent selection of shelf-stable non-perishable food items.

https://www.minimus.biz/foodmain.aspx

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 09:02:09 AM
24 hours of servo food?

Is this supposed to be a challenge or a tuesday?

If we're doing nicknames, call me "Mr Sulphites"

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 11:15:51 AM

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk
Who do you think we are Hevy? Not one of those posh u boats from up that London y'know.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 11:21:18 AM

Mags, I know you don't want to raise expectations, but perhaps you could add a few moldy raisins or rancid peanuts.....just for variety.  :dunno:
I could..... If I wanted a full scale riot on my hands. First it's moldy peanuts and raisins, then it's fresh peanuts and raisins, then it's 'can we start' Fresh Air Friday' and 'Lights on April' again, and before you know it they want the moon on a stick.

The only reason they haven't rioted already is the starvation fatigue. And they can't see in the dark

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 11:22:40 AM

As I was telling the wife about it, she was like please no, probably knowing it is the kind of thing I would easily do and pretty much have before.  Maybe she’ll change her mind.

Either way, because you mentioned “online”, I thought about this website I came across a while ago.  The website sells all sorts of travel-size items, to include a decent selection of shelf-stable non-perishable food items.

It would a shame to not use that resource Sos   :pok:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 11:24:33 AM
24 hours of servo food?

Is this supposed to be a challenge or a tuesday?

If we're doing nicknames, call me "Mr Sulphites"
Ah, you're the man to get tips from then eh Mr Sulphites. What can you recommend for a rip roaring Tuesday Banquet?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 03, 2021, 02:34:45 PM
Nix, you had me at Gas station! 

Where do I sign up?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 02:42:54 PM
Nix, you had me at Gas station! 

Where do I sign up?
Right here

01 Nix, aka 'Mr Spork'

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 02:58:22 PM

Ah, c'mon....it'll be fun!   :pok:

It is essentially a one-day group challenge.....with snacks. What could be better?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:08:46 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 03:07:04 PM
Oh, excellent....we've got GSMRE being built around the world now.  :D

GSMRE designers and diners:

01 Nix, aka 'Mr Spork'
03 Sea Monster, aka 'Mr Sulfites'
04 comis, aka 'Road Food Warrior'

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 03:28:22 PM
I wouldn't miss this!  Thanks Jack!  Now if we could only trade the goodies like we did.... :rofl:

01 Nix, aka 'Mr Spork'
03 Sea Monster, aka 'Mr Sulfites'
04 comis, aka 'Road Food Warrior'
05 Barry Rowland aka 'Sack Lunch Commando'
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 03:40:09 PM
I wouldn't miss this!  Thanks Jack!  Now if we could only trade the goodies like we did.... :rofl:

:rofl:   Yeah, the trading was always a fun part of the MRE expereince.  I'd trade just about anything for the cheese spread and some crackers.  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #29 on: May 03, 2021, 04:06:51 PM
Oh yeah!!  :iagree:
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00