Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ti FrankenCompact

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Ti FrankenCompact
on: May 03, 2021, 06:13:10 PM
So... not sure if this is an abomination or a revelation... Let’s just call it “evolving”.
I took a punt on a set of 91mm titanium scales, liners and steel pivots from Alieoopsexpressomania. Truth be told they’re nicely made but Lordy they were a complete b@$+@!!  to get together. They were sold as 3 layer - they’re not. The pivots weren’t quite right either, although it might have been me. I had to give up on one of the liners as it just did not fit.
Went back to original liners from some donors, doubled up on the centre liner to take up some space and got it together.
So we’ve got main blade, can opener and scissors with back tools plusT&T. I want to try and grind the can opener down to a cap lifter/long thin screwdriver like Syph did as that’s what I need but that’s for another day (To answer the obvious question - no I don’t have a combo tool).
Today was just about seeing if it goes together. I’m almost there. I think I will need a spacer on the can opener as the main blade needs some extra clearance, but I think the normal one will add too much width. Maybe a washer or 2.
There’s still a bit of play in the blade layer but I think that’s because I haven’t tightened the torx fully.
It’s sort of a Ti Frankencompact. A pointless if fun project. And I’m learning. The can opener definitely has potential in the blade layer.  I hope.
We take what is offered...
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Offline Jellyfists

Re: Ti FrankenCompact
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 12:05:32 PM
Looks very nice, but it sounds like a somewhat frustrating job.
Do you have any pics pre- or during assembly?

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 09:24:15 PM
Looks very nice, but it sounds like a somewhat frustrating job.
Do you have any pics pre- or during assembly?
Thanks Jellyfists. Unfortunately I didn’t take any assembly pics bit I think I’ll break it down again and lose the can opener - it just isn’t working out. Go back to 2 blades and scissors. Not quite as dramatic mod-wise or useful but at least it’ll work. Maybe call it the Paperworker or something equally daft... I’ll remember to take the pictures next time.
Morituri Nolumus Mori

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 08:04:12 PM
Those scales are cool 8) and glad you got it together, even with a bit of fuss :salute: I like that it has the T&T though :o :like:

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 09:42:31 PM
Unfortunately, like it’s namesake, the FrankenCompact didn’t survive long. I went back to change the can opener for a small blade as it just wasn’t working for me and managed to shear one of the screws. Given that they’re next to impossible to source I had to give up on it. Pity as I really liked those scales.

Oh well, back to the drawing board… :(
Morituri Nolumus Mori

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 02:57:01 AM
Sorry to hear that :oops: :ahhh

Hope you can source another fastener or go another route for that mod :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds