Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Modular Trooper Pack (pic heavy)

de Offline Thehunt

...or: The Big Brother

Since the new Tasmanian Tiger Modular Combat Pack is out, it has imperceptibly asserted itself as my daypack, the other backpacks are actually gathering dust a bit.
As a reminder, here's what it looks like:

As a daypack it´s great, super organization, great size, very comfortable carrying system.
Especially the "three compartment system“ has convinced me. A large main compartment, an organizational compartment (also called the Modular lid compartment) and a small parts compartment.

Me likey!

For multi-day trips, or if more equipment is required, you´ll run into space limitations, no questions about it.
And this is where the Trooper comes into play.

This is what it looks like:

Again, first the hard facts:
Dimensions: 62 x 34 x 19 cm
Volume: 55 liters
Empty weight: 2.7 kg
Material: 700 den Cordura

With 55 liters (and Molle expandability) for me the ideal size as a multi-day system or winter pack.

The lid compartment could be familiar to one or the other, it is the now „standard Modular lid“ compartment. Also the shown equipment is not new, my Mini First Aid Kit has its regular place here.

D-rings and clear zipper pocket make it really easy to organize things. The Velcro area at the bottom is new, ideal for, for example, the MUP from LMS Gear or other smaller velcro backed pouches.

On the outside of the bag the first version still has flat rings for webbing, as far as I've seen the current versions don't have that anymore, there you find Molle.

On top there are more D-rings and the outlet for a hydration bladder. A dedicated hydration bladder compartment is missing inside, however, if desired, you can help with ShockCord or webbing.

I thought at first that with my pack the ShockCord had been lost somehow. I used some from my stock. Had I just looked more closely, it was simply inside one of the clear zipper pockets....

In the front compartment we find five zipper pockets, four of them transparent, plus a slide-in pocket. In the picture you can see the left over from my cord, below in the compartment the supplied one.
One could mount the now surplus ShockCord inside, loops are available for this.

Velcro as well, for mounting Velcro pockets, very modular once again, top!

Also in the main compartment we find sturdy mounting loops, here with cord:

Right and left you´ll find mesh pockets, the bottom right one is a slightly larger one which also fits the thick Nalgene/KleanKanteen bottles. In the picture above my gloves and a large Israeli Bandage.
Then on the other side three large mesh zipper pockets plus velcro area at the bottom.

Not to mention the hanger for the water bladder.

I ended up going with the webbing/g-hook option:

Heavier objects can be pressed against the back, whether it's a SAPI plate or a large water bladder....
On the sides, we find sufficiently large side pockets to accommodate water bottles or the like.
And by "sufficient" I mean so big that even the thick 40 oz Klean Kanteen fits in along with a Tatonka 0.75 l cup, that really makes me happy. Thanks Tasmanian Tiger!!!

Two compression straps worthy of the name and lasercut Molle complete the two sides.

A brief note  about the carrying system. We are dealing with the well-known V2 Plus system, proven, comfortable, reliable.
For my stature it fits great, that is 6 feet tall and about 170 pounds.

What I never use, however, are the Molle mounts on the hip belt. Apparently I have my arms  too close to the body when hiking. In any case, pouches mounted in the hip belt are more cumbersome than useful to me.

Good to see the lower load control straps. Another pair can be found at the top:

At my height of 183 cm, they fit great.
The hip belt transfers the load very comfortably, if necessary it is also removable.

Thought the waist belt is also a Battle Belt, just unclip the velcroed lordose pad and unhook. I will probably not use it as such, but when I'm in the city I have the waist belt removed, as to facilitate a slimmer profile.

On the entire pack is Lasercut-Molle. On the entire pack you ask?
No, not quite.

At the bottom we find two rows of classic Webbing-Molle, I usually mount my sleeping bag, a Carinthia Defence 4 there.
A thoughtful detail solution, I appreciate it very much!

Also shown, the two Hypalon tabs, for tripods, poles, paddles or the like.
In the compartment facing the back is the included rain cover, very nice! I have already learned to appreciate this very much on the old Mission Pack!

The rain cover is plenty big.
Even if a sleeping bag were strapped to the bottom and the even the hip belts fits in:

Plain old Olive still camouflages well, no question.

Of course, a chest strap is also on board:

There is enough material on the hip belt, even for guys with more internal padding.

After unpacking the photo stuff, the Trooper then looks half-empty like this:

For my use case the Trooper is the ideal multi-day backpack, enough organization but not too many individual pockets that actually diminish the volume.
I am very happy with the Trooper, a clear recommendation on my part.
M

de Offline Thehunt

Brothers in arms:

The Combat with 22 liter, the original Modular coming in 30 and the new Trooper with 55 liter.
The Comabt is the slimmest and flattes of the bunch.
M

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Nice looking pack !   :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $91.95