Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm no MacGyver, but I can't leave home without Deluxe Tinker!

Offline MisterB

:tu: Nice work...you had some dust rhinos hiding in there!
:rofl:
Having it apart was a good opportunity to give it a good cleaning. 
This might be more appropriate in the monogamy club thread but I'll just say it here:  I love this knife! I wish I could find the flashlight equivalent but emitters evolve, drivers get more efficient, new batteries and capacities pop up, it's a never-ending money pit. But this knife has been such a good companion for so many years.  I BUY other knives, friends give me knives, but they only get used if there is a specific use or situation.  With the suspension clip I have to check if the DT is even there some times because it doesn't sit across the curve of my leg. 
I have a Manager and Night Manager and previously had an Alox Champ, all very useful,  (the Phillips is fantastic), but the DT has everything covered and if I have my keychain with me I probably am wearing pants, and if I'm wearing pants then the DT is there.  It just winds up being more weight on the keychain. 
That said... Now that I've seen enough examples and videos of what can be done with modding I'm really trying to come up with a combination that would be worth hacking up a couple/few knives to pull off!

Hey! Fantastic refurbishment!  I'm wrecked a few sets of scales in my day. It is always fun and satisfying to get some fresh pants on an old and treasured SAK. Great job!  :tu:

And, you may be able to claim your first badge:

(Image removed from quote.)
Thank you! I've got some reading to do on the badges and I've still never made a proper avatar!  As much as I gripe about the internet ruining the world, there's still places like this that balance it out.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
:tu: Nice work...you had some dust rhinos hiding in there!

Don't know if you meant this, but thanks for letting me know about them.

:tu: :tu:

https://dustrhinos.com/

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Thanks for sharing your views on the DT, MisterB.

:tu: :tu:

It's good to see a well used tool (even if it awlso makes me cringe).

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Now that I've seen enough examples and videos of what can be done with modding I'm really trying to come up with a combination that would be worth hacking up a couple/few knives to pull off!

The DT is great tool.  In terms of related mod-worthy combinations, here are a few options to consider:

- Deluxe Climber (DT with corkscrew instead of backside Philips)
- Alox DT (Pioneer X + pliers)
- DT + 1 (add the next most useful tool layer to the DT)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
They're are several models that I'd love to have in Alox.  Pretty certain that Victorinox won't produce them thought.
The idea of paying to have one modded is beyond my finances.  I've only bought one set of aftermarket scales, which are still in the mail right now.  I have a bad habit of buying whole knives with the intention of doing scale swaps with.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
I just noticed that in the photo above, I don't see a little magnet in the hook! 

(Sometimes the magnet gets caught in the base channel for the hook, no problem, the toothpick can work it out.)

For fishing a little magnet can work like an extra hand, but really the uses for a small magnet are probably much broader!

(Image removed from quote.)

Nix, what do you use a magnet that small for? I carry a ring rare-earth magnet about the size of a dime in a separate EDC kit in my pocket. I can tie a cord through it for fishing for dropped metal things and it's big enough to handle to stick things on the fridge. (I've got a thin twist-tie wrapped around it so I can get it off metal things easily.)

But I'm always open to suggestions...
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

Offline MisterB

It looks like I'm not as monogamous as I thought. 
Been carrying the Pioneer X, just got an Electrician, there's a black Alox Pioneer and Alox MiniChamp in my cart, ordered 3 clips from KnifeKits.com, and just received an assortment of brass rods.  I don't have the DT tool selection in my pocket but I'm surrounded by tools at home and at work and if I'm going somewhere that there won't be tools I have the Deluxe Tinker and full-size tools in the truck.
I've been modding everything I own since my teen years so this is not a surprising progression.  Modding flashlights has gotten stale since you can often find a decent flashlight with a great tint and useable UI with no effort.
Been digging around and looking at what other folks have done to their Vics for inspiration, I have access to mills and lathes and other shop equipment so this may allow me to have some creative fun.
Perhaps I can pull off an Alox DT, but I'm gonna start simple.
Thanks to all who've posted and shared info, I wouldn't even have new scales on the Deluxe were it not for the members here!
Robert

de Offline BenHSK

Currently the DT is my favorite SAK. I think it’s the best not Alox SAK.

Changed scales, with black Plus on the backside. Sad, that I can’t find a black pen.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32