Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your opinion about this knife on sale?

es Offline pitquim

What's your opinion about this knife on sale?
on: August 15, 2021, 10:34:45 AM
Look this item on eBay: 363494127916 (if this is against any Forum rule, please tell me, delete the post and forgive me)

It's a pre 91 knife (no hook, fluted corkscrew) BUT look at the scissors in 7th picture; they've got the thinner handle and the golden rivet!
Repaired item, isn't it?
With an Explorer in my pocket everyday since 1999
IG: @pitquim

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Re: What's your opinion about this knife on sale?
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 02:00:22 PM
Mine is pretty much the same - has the fluted corkscrew, all tools and markings on the big blade are the same but the scissor is screwed rather than riveted.

es Offline pitquim

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 06:05:31 PM
Just scissors is the problem: as far as I know, that handle end and that golden rivet wouldn't be in 80's knives.
With an Explorer in my pocket everyday since 1999
IG: @pitquim

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 01:55:26 AM
I'm curious about the layer sequence.

I've got a very likely 1986 Explorer and the scissors (with screw and thicker handle) are next to the opener layer, not the blade.

I didn't think the scissors moved to next to the blade until the hook was introduced in 1991, to accommodate being able to get to the hook tip without it being hidden behind the key ring.

I'm not an expert. Just going off of observations of my '86 and post '91 Explorers.

The blades have been sharpened a lot also.

Maybe kamakiri will chime in. He knows SAK dating inside, outside, and upside down.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 10:56:29 AM
….
I didn't think the scissors moved to next to the blade until the hook was introduced in 1991, to accommodate being able to get to the hook tip without it being hidden behind the key ring.
……

Mine has the scissors next to the blades. No hook, scissors with screw, fluted corkscrew.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 09:41:18 PM
Repaired item, isn't it?

I think that’s correct. Scissors don’t match and scales look replaced. Scissors have the groove in it yet it has the non-groove spring. Looks c.’88 and my guess is that it wouldn’t have the brass collar/spacer on the 4th pin.

I almost want to buy it just to take it apart and see what was actually done.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 09:42:38 PM

Maybe kamakiri will chime in. He knows SAK dating inside, outside, and upside down.

Mostly that.  ;)

🙃
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 03:58:51 AM
Mine has the scissors next to the blades. No hook, scissors with screw, fluted corkscrew.
Interesting! Do you know what year yours is?
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 09:13:18 AM
No idea, I just figured it’s pre ‘90 because if the corkscrew but in the late 80s because it doesn’t have any clue of an older knife like a different tang stamp or a clip point blade.

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 10:18:26 AM
Since it seems I have something "in between" and it might help with dating it and other Explorers, here are some photos. Also the bottle opener and philips have a stops at 90 degrees and there is no hole for pin in the scales.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%