Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A note I received from a NEW SOG fan / lurker & my answer ....

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
QUESTION ....
Hey Andrew, do you own the sog powerassist s66?
I am getting one in about 2 weeks for my birthday and am very exited. I don't want to get my expections too high only to be dissapointed though. I like the sog powerlock but it does have its flaws. The tools bunch up, the scissors suck, and the covers are not practical. If you have one, let me know how you feel about it. They never show the serrated blade on the assist on any of the websites, I wonder if it isn't all that great.
Thanks,
Any help will apreciated.

ANSWER ....

I played with the SOG  PA last week at the ShotShow in Orlando.  The one thing I do not like  about the PowerLocks is the weight and the PA does nothing for me. I do not have one. I use a PPP 95% of the time.

FIRST thing I take off an SOG is the useless scissors and replace with a blade or "V" cutter or C4 spike, which I have occasion to use in my work as a bomb disposal technician /  instructor. I also usually remove the 3 sided file and put  another tool on board

Another secret is to look for USED SOGs to buy for 1/2 price, they are guaranteed for life . Your new SOG will be considered USED the first time you use it and it should last a lifetime!

Plenty of used SOG's on eBay, beside if you can get them really messed up for $10 or so you can take them apart and use / sell the parts for more than what you paid.  I'm giving you all my secrets....LOL

Don't cut yourself and be careful ...

I just revised my Best of the Best 3 multi tool review article.........

I used to carry a well known name brand multitool until I found THREE superior options ( my decision was based on 40+ years as a fire fighter, police officer and bomb disposal technician ( EOD ). I have owned a number of multitools over the years and abused them all ( that's why the good ones have a lifetime warranty ). The three best for the money in my opinion are the 1. SOG Powerlock #S66, 2. Victorinox SwissTool #RS and 3. SOG Pocket PowerPlier #S45- don't waste your money on anything else - no other multitool can come close to a SOG or Victorinox in performance, functionality and warranty. I do own other brand multitools and have a desk drawer full of them and they are used solely for opening envelopes and packages. When I need a multitool at work I want a ‘real’ multitool that I can depend on to do the job at hand - the following 3 are my choices, depending on the assignment.

The first rescue multi-tool worth your money is a SOG Powerlock ( various models are now available to suit your needs - " including the assisted opening "). I prefer the S66 because of the tool / implement selection. This folding tool isn't new, a fact that speaks to its highly regarded Compound Leverage mechanism that generates twice the pressure and gripping power of lesser tools. To wit: this thing is the Jaws of multitools. Beyond strength, you'll love the pivoting handle covers that really do improve comfort and dexterity. All the essential tools are intricately positioned for deployment and for you showoffs out there, the PowerLock's ability to open with a quick flick of the wrist is undeniably cool. The PowerLock features removable, pivoting handle covers that improve the comfort profile for your hand. More pressure can now be exerted on those tough jobs! Like the rest of the family in the series, the PowerLock can be opened and closed with a one-handed flip of the wrist. This is a basic requirement from SOG as so often one is holding wires or standing on a ladder and does not have both hands free. All tool components are easy to access and lock in the open position. The Phillips even locks in two open positions. With one of the simplest and safest locking devices ever engineered, just press the back of the lock and close the component into the handle. Included components in the S66 include a plier/gripper, 3" straight blade, 3" serrated blade,3 sided file,large screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, small screwdrive, medium screwdriver, can opener, bottle opener, "V" cutter, wire crimper, blasting cap crimper, compound leverage, comfort grips, rulers and lanyard ring. The PowerLock also comes with a heavy-duty, dark leather pouch. A standard design issue with any SOG multipurpose tool is the advantage of it's hex bolt construction. This essential design element gives you the greatest versatility to clean and change tool components ( additional tool components are directly available from SOG for a modest charge) - with hex bolt construction holding the SOG's together - replacing tools is a snap. The SOG features all stainless steel construction ( also available in a black oxide finish #B66) and comes with a heavy duty leather pouch, a Lifetime Guarantee and they are MADE IN THE USA. Street price is around $55.00.

The second multitool in the lineup is a Victorinox SwissTool RS (Rescue and Survival) which comes equipped with both scissors and seat belt cutter which can be life saving in a auto accident. Tools included are: Pliers, Screwdriver (2mm), Screwdriver (3mm), Wire Cutter, Screwdriver (5mm), Bottle Opener, Screwdriver (7.5 mm), Large blade, Scissors, Seatbelt Cutter, hard wire cutter, Wood Saw, Reamer/Punch, Phillips Screwdriver, Chisel/Scraper, Strong Crate Opener, Wire Bender, Wire Stripper, Wire Scraper, Can Opener, Ruler (9 inches), Ruler (230mm), Electrical Crimper, Lanyard Hole . The SwissTool RS has the same features as the original SwissTool with two additional features: seatbelt cutter and scissors - something every first responder needs. Comes with a nylon pouch. Made in Switzerland with a lifetime warranty. Street price around $60.

My most recent addition to the "Best of the Best multitools ", the third, in my arsenal of multitools and I find it adequate to do 95% of the jobs handled by the two mentioned above. Lighter and more compact than the SOG PowerLock, its big brother, the Pocket PowerPlier ( Model #S44 ) is very easy to carry and use. SOG's Pocket PowerPlier is packed with essential tools that include pliers/grippers, wire cutters, partially serrated blade, Phillips screwdriver, three-sided file, can opener with a small screwdriver, bottle opener with medium screwdriver, an awl, rulers, lanyard and heavy duty leather pouch. Again the PPP’s advantage of hex bolt construction leaves all the other multitools running for cover as this essential design element gives you the greatest versatility to clean and change tool components ( additional tool components are directly available from SOG for a modest charge) not offered by other multitool manufacturers. With the interghangability you can replace the partially serrated blade with a 3" plain edge blade and I also removed the 3 sided file and replaced it with a serrated line cutter. I find carrying the PPP a benefit because of less weight hanging on my belt ( 5.5 ounces vs 9.6 ounces for the PowerLock) . Also noted is SOG's Deluxe Pocket PowerPlier ( Model S45) whichs adds a large screwdriver, 1/4 socket drive however it loses the awl as a tool and weighs in at 5.5 ounces - same as he S44 model. Backed by a Lifetime Guarantee and they are MADE IN THE USA. Street price around $45.00

revised 01/2009

Andrew J. Gnoza, III

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 02:57:29 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Re: A note I received from a NEW SOG fan / lurker & my answer ....
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 03:00:03 PM
PS .... I need a C-4 Spike if anyone has a spare they want to get rid of.
TIA
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31