Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Face book, is it worth joining?

Poll

Is it worth joining?

Yes
11 (35.5%)
No
10 (32.3%)
Indifferent
10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: Face book, is it worth joining?
Reply #90 on: February 13, 2009, 10:52:12 AM
I actually got to stop going there as much. It is becomeing addictive. I cant believe however how Pissed people get when you refuse a friend request.
S

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #91 on: February 13, 2009, 11:05:22 AM
That's what worries me about these things John, how much people confuse the internet with the real world  :-\

It's not real folks, it's the internet!*

* I accept that I may be a bit of a cynic, and quite possibly too old to "appreciate" these things.
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #92 on: February 13, 2009, 11:14:14 AM
You got it! I actually had to defend myself to another person because of refusing his friends request. I explained I did not like him in High School I do not like him now. I have no problem with most people but I really dont like this person so why pretend I do.

Plus Ben came on!!!
S

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: February 13, 2009, 11:16:45 AM
That's what worries me about these things John, how much people confuse the internet with the real world  Undecided

It is the real world for some of us, so shuddupayaface!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #94 on: February 13, 2009, 11:21:57 AM
Come on Nomad join the real world. But this guy still lives in Cyberspace.
S

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: February 13, 2009, 11:27:51 AM
You got it! I actually had to defend myself to another person because of refusing his friends request. I explained I did not like him in High School I do not like him now. I have no problem with most people but I really dont like this person so why pretend I do.

Plus Ben came on!!!

I was having a conversation (in the real world, using language) the other day about this very point. During my life. I have met people I like to stay in touch with, and plenty that I don't. Those that fall into the first category, I have their e-mail address or phone number or maybe go out for a drink with every now and then. The folk that fall into the second category however, I am blissfully unaware of (and that probably works for them too).

In Facebook, people seem to forget that neither of you have bothered to be in touch for 20 years, and that there's probably a good reason for that. It seems that it's a competition to get the most "friends", even if they're not friends at all.

I rejected one last week (on linkedin.com actually, not facebook) from somebody I fired for being the most obnoxious person I'd ever worked with. When I did the deed, they called me some names that I had to look up in a dictionary, made various claims about my parentage and even threatened me with a visit from their friends to administer a kicking  :o

Now they want a job reference from me  ::) Incredible.

@Nomad -> Yes I see the irony in typing all of this into an internet forum  :think:

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: February 13, 2009, 11:30:24 AM
@Nomad -> Yes I see the irony in typing all of this into an internet forum

but not in having a conversation (in the real world, using language) the other day about this very point

damned double standards!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #97 on: February 13, 2009, 11:33:05 AM
Dave this guy used to like to bop his girlfriends around. I know we all joke about it here, and I have done my fair share on Natalie, but I cant stand people who hit women and kids. I feel they are cowards and serve no purpose in society.

I find it funny how one of his ex GF defended him.
S

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #98 on: February 13, 2009, 11:35:35 AM
@Nomad -> Yes I see the irony in typing all of this into an internet forum

but not in having a conversation (in the real world, using language) the other day about this very point

damned double standards!

Lol :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #99 on: February 13, 2009, 11:35:55 AM
Dave this guy used to like to bop his girlfriends around. I know we all joke about it here, and I have done my fair share on Natalie, but I cant stand people who hit women and kids. I feel they are cowards and serve no purpose in society.

I find it funny how one of his ex GF defended him.

So, pond-life then basically?

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: February 13, 2009, 11:36:24 AM
I've got to ask def if we can get a "poke" button.   ::)

(sorry, just trying to change the topic from violent misogynists)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #101 on: February 13, 2009, 11:40:38 AM
POKE: :pok:
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #102 on: February 13, 2009, 11:48:09 AM
That's what worries me about these things John, how much people confuse the internet with the real world  :-\

* I accept that I may be a bit of a cynic, and quite possibly too old to "appreciate" these things.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :ahhh :ahhh

Say it ain't so Dave!, Say it ain't so!  :cry: :D
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: February 13, 2009, 11:55:30 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :ahhh :ahhh

Say it ain't so Dave!, Say it ain't so!  :cry: :D

Well, technically, you did read that on the internet, sooooo   :think:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #104 on: February 13, 2009, 08:35:18 PM

Plus Ben came on!!!

I was having a conversation (in the real world, using language) the other day about this very point. During my life. I have met people I like to stay in touch with, and plenty that I don't. Those that fall into the first category, I have their e-mail address or phone number or maybe go out for a drink with every now and then. The folk that fall into the second category however, I am blissfully unaware of (and that probably works for them too).

In Facebook, people seem to forget that neither of you have bothered to be in touch for 20 years, and that there's probably a good reason for that. It seems that it's a competition to get the most "friends", even if they're not friends at all.

I rejected one last week (on linkedin.com actually, not facebook) from somebody I fired for being the most obnoxious person I'd ever worked with. When I did the deed, they called me some names that I had to look up in a dictionary, made various claims about my parentage and even threatened me with a visit from their friends to administer a kicking  :o

@Nomad -> Yes I see the irony in typing all of this into an internet forum  :think:

Lets see, I have been out of touch with a lot of old friends because I now live halfway around the world from where I used to... so it's kinda easy to say there's a reason that you haven't been in touch for years... usually for me it's the long distance phone bill that deters me... that and I'm a lazy bugger (Def can vouch for me I'm sure :P)

I found Facebook to be a nice place to catch up with family, some old friends, ex-girlfriends, old workmates and old schoolmates... on the other hand I have rejected a few people who are little more than friend of a friend...

To think, without the internet, I wouldn't know were Def is or vise versa, and we've been friends for about 19 years or so... (holy! it's been that long already!?)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #105 on: February 13, 2009, 09:57:12 PM
Yeah, I wasn't totally serious tbh Whoey, and I can see that it's useful in certain situations, but for some people, I stand by my comments ! :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #106 on: February 14, 2009, 12:40:27 AM

Plus Ben came on!!!

Lets see, I have been out of touch with a lot of old friends because I now live halfway around the world from where I used to... so it's kinda easy to say there's a reason that you haven't been in touch for years... usually for me it's the long distance phone bill that deters me... that and I'm a lazy bugger (Def can vouch for me I'm sure :P)

I found Facebook to be a nice place to catch up with family, some old friends, ex-girlfriends, old workmates and old schoolmates... on the other hand I have rejected a few people who are little more than friend of a friend...

To think, without the internet, I wouldn't know were Def is or vise versa, and we've been friends for about 19 years or so... (holy! it's been that long already!?)

Has it been 19 years?  Crap, no wonder I'm old and fat....

I like Facebook, as it's given me the opportunity to look up some people I have wondered about but haven't seen in years.  My father was in the military, and we moved around often enough- although not as much as many families did.  Still in all, there were a great number of new faces every year, and while I will probably never remember them all (or indeed most of them) it's still nice to see what some of the folks you used to know are up to these days.  And, it's also nice to join certain groups, like the one for the base in Manitoba that I mostly grew up on, and was probably the happiest time in my life- at the risk of sounding pathetic, probably the closest I really had to a "back home." 

And, like Whoey says, if it hadn't been for Facebook, I probably wouldn't have known he was coming back to NS to visit his family until after the fact... in which case there may not be nearly as many upgrades and new features here as there have been in the last 6 months or so.

Still, Facebook is like a multitool- just because you have one doesn't mean you aren't still an idiot....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #107 on: February 14, 2009, 07:47:58 PM
gotta be around 19 years now, I moved back to Nova Scotia around then, and within a week we moved into the house in passage...

18 or 19... in that ballpark... maybe we should go out for Buffet  ::) next time I'm in town... which may just be this summer!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #108 on: February 14, 2009, 08:02:54 PM
If you guys make it back again this year we'll have more barbeque and beer than last year, I promise!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #109 on: February 14, 2009, 11:16:30 PM
BBQ! Can I come?
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #110 on: February 15, 2009, 01:26:59 AM
You have to bring a doctor's note!   :pok:

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #111 on: February 15, 2009, 04:10:17 AM

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: February 16, 2009, 03:36:39 AM
It's probably a little different for me, hahaha. I joined the group, and I will start adding everyone to my friends list. I'll be the young guy with a trumpet!
[

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: February 16, 2009, 03:39:34 AM
I'm too lazy to finish (I give up pretty easy)  :P

How about you all just add me to your friends lists?

:-\
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #114 on: February 16, 2009, 04:02:13 AM
ok
S

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #115 on: February 17, 2009, 07:47:39 PM
Speaking of Facebook

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/16/facebook_honeypot/

If you ask me he got what he deserved.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #116 on: February 18, 2009, 12:30:05 AM
Bloody right. Another Manchester United fan...from Sheffield :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #117 on: February 18, 2009, 02:09:07 AM

dont they have the pink shirts?

S

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #118 on: February 18, 2009, 02:23:58 AM
No - red.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: February 18, 2009, 11:25:44 AM

dont they have the pink shirts?

no, just pink handbags...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%