Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking to buy some power tools....

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Looking to buy some power tools....
Reply #30 on: September 13, 2021, 03:12:21 AM
Ryobi rolls right off of the same line as Milwaukee but this does not mean they are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not the same at all. Money may end up in the same hands but component quality, build quality, and especially QC are all different.

I don't think Ryobi has switched to 21700 cells yet, while Milwaukee's HO or HD cells already use them

au Offline Valkie

Reply #31 on: September 14, 2021, 01:45:31 AM
A lot depends on what you are planning to do with the tools.

I know people who have purchased some very expensive and beautiful tools and have rarely used them, they just sit in the cupboard gathering dust.
A cheap alternative would have served them just as adequately.

I have Dewalt tools for the tools use frequently;
Drill, Hammer drill, Impact driver and angle grinder.
These are used all the time and very hard.

But I also have a few rarely used tools which function quite adequately for my purposes.
Circular saw, multitool, jig saw, reciprocating saw.
Id be lucky to use these a few times a month some a couple of times a year.
I opted for the cheap Ozito brand for these (not sure what the equivalent is in the US)

They obviously would never stand up to serious use, but used sensibly and infrequently, I can achieve as good a result as the expensive tools that cost twice to three times as much.
In fact I bought a cheap Ozito impact driver to put on a complete new roof.
Pushed the little thing to its absolute limit and very nearly cooked it.
But it did the job and is still working well.
The Dewalt  (a later purchase)is more powerful, quieter, and an overall more robust tool.
But it also cost nearly 4 times what the old Ozito cost, not money I had at the time.

So, if you plan to use any tool frequently, hard or for professional use, buy the best you can.

But if its for hobby work, infrequent use or simply as a tool for "Just in case", buy a cheaper alternative.
You may have to modify how you use it a but, but I can achieve the same result with a $50.00 tool as I can with a $200.00 tool, it just takes a little longer.

Also, if you use quality accessories (Blades etc), the tool will perform much better than with cheaper accessories.

But, the caveat,
With hand tools such as chisels, hammers, hand saws, socket sets and even screwdrivers.
Only the best will do, the cheap ones are crap and will injure you.
tools is what defines us as humans

00 Offline buckleystephanie

• New User
Reply #32 on: November 01, 2021, 08:53:47 PM
Not the same at all. Money may end up in the same hands but component quality, build quality, and especially QC are all different.

I don't think Ryobi has switched to 21700 cells yet, while Milwaukee's HO or HD cells already use them

Hello. Where did you get it online? Can I learn? I need a good drill. I can't go out to buy. I'm in quarantine. :( LINK REMOVED
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:38:41 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: November 02, 2021, 07:01:57 PM
Hello. Where did you get it online? Can I learn? I need a good drill. I can't go out to buy. I'm in quarantine. :( LINK REMOVED

Welcome to the forum, you could try amazon.com
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:39:05 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #34 on: December 17, 2021, 01:54:47 AM
Update.

I now am a powertool fool. I bought so many of these things, I had to sell some. And I continue to do so. But now I'm getting to the point where I'm continually updating as I can afford to. I started with Ryobi and have a toe-hold on Ridgid now. I also am trying to get enough proper shop tools to be able to make wooden knife handles, something I really look forward to.

I got the Ridgid double compound miter saw. The big one that takes a 16-inch cut. Love it. It's a beast.
I went overboard on the Ryobi stuff. Some of the highlights include the regular 1/2 inch drills, the multi-tool, which we used when installing laminate flooring in our house, surprisingly, the flashlights, and my favorite, the digital tire inflator, which I keep in my car at all times.

I also got a Ridgid router, and a Hart bench grinder. The Hart line is Walmart's version of Ryobi / TTI. Naturally it comes with non-interchangeable 20V batteries to keep anyone, heaven forbid, from ever mixing and matching battery brands. Notice how they  all do that? But the bench grinder is corded, and about $5 cheaper than the identical Ryobi one, so I bought it. Kicked myself last week, because Ryobi put their bench grinder on 50% off sale at the TTI outlet recently. $25.

Anyway, did I just mention the TTI outlet? There is quite a network of them now. There are two within driving distance of my house. They give discounts on factory blemished or refurbished power tools. Primarily Ryobi and Ridgid, but a few Milwaukee, as well as Homelite and others in the TTI family. Turns out TTI's national headquarters is just down the road here. I had heard that before, but forgotten. But they have factory outlets across the US, and opening more all the time. They have a good 20-30% sale going now off practically all power tools at the outlets. There's a website too, but I won't list it because maybe we're not supposed to link things like that here. Anyway, I don't work for them, but I probably should because I tell so many people about it. (No, I get no compensation. )

Eventually I'd like to branch upward to Milwaukee, and/or Bosch and Makita. For now, though, I'm tapping the brakes because of finances and my wife being all  :twak: about it.  ;)
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: December 17, 2021, 04:46:10 PM
 :salute: Heck of a upward trajectory. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #36 on: December 23, 2021, 03:31:47 PM
:salute: Heck of a upward trajectory.

LOL I know, right?
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

Offline rapidtool

• New User
Reply #37 on: March 03, 2022, 11:51:55 AM
Hello,
There can be many power tools that you can purchase, but some of the tools that I will recommend are:
1-rebar cutter
2-rebar bender
3-rebar tier
4-rebar tie gun

Offline rapidtool

• New User
Reply #38 on: April 02, 2022, 09:58:20 AM
I can see you love purchasing tools. I will recommend you tools in which i have a good knowledge.
If you ever work with rebar then you should go for following tools:
1-portable rebar bender
2-rebar cutter
3-rebar tying tool
4-hydraulic rebar bender

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34