Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bit adapter for SAKs/STs?

Nikos · 17 · 3218

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Bit adapter for SAKs/STs?
on: January 23, 2009, 10:38:40 PM
I was thinking about the LM bits and how portable and nice they are and remembered that they actually fit in standard hex adapters if put sidewise. It so dawned me that it would be great if there was a small bit adapter, similar to the older Gerber bit adapters, that would fit on the Vic Phillips head or some other implement. I've already tried that but the facts that the Vic Phillips head has more of a rectangular than a square cross-cut and that the head is wider than the rest of the driver, introduce some annoying play. Were there such a thing it would work wonders, as (at least all of my) SAKs also have the same Phillips driver. Any ideas? E.g. would the LM Core or Blast or the SOG adapters fit that head? :think: :think: :think:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Re: Bit adapter for SAKs/STs?
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:54:29 PM
... or even the SwissGrip adapter?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:39:04 PM
I don't think I'd be happy putting an adapter over a SAK or ST's phillips.  I could see that mashing up the driver pretty easily.
I'm back!!

us Offline carl

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:03:49 AM
I think Victorinox came up with the most practical and sensible way to use a bit - the wrench and bit kit.  sure, incorporating a bit adapter to fit the multitool itself is more interesting.  but in actual use, having a separate wrench for the bits is much much easier to use.  i can actually put much more force on the separate wrench as well.  gadgets like the leatherman adaptor and sog adaptor do have a greater fun factor i admit, but that's about it.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 03:34:10 AM
Yet the question remains... Will they fit?

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 04:01:30 AM
Judging from the online info and pics I'd say that the Sog adapter seems to be the best candidate, as the Sog bit driver is rectangular... Could someone with both a Spirit and a Sog bit adapter please verify this?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 04:24:28 PM
I use the old skool Leatherman 90 , 45 degree and straight adapter on my Swisstool and Spirit . Works well , has a wide choice of bits  , bits are easy to replace . In addition higher quality bits are available .

With SAK's torque would be your enemy .

Chris

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 06:46:42 PM
Chris,
You probably mean the universal tool adapter, but I was thinking more along the lines of a gerber/sog-style adapter. The idea is to carry the double-ended LM bits plus a small adapter that will make them work with my Vic stuff. WRT the SAKs vs torque thing, the Phillips also "locks" in the 90o position, so it could be used like that...

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 07:04:50 PM
Chris,
You probably mean the universal tool adapter, but I was thinking more along the lines of a gerber/sog-style adapter. The idea is to carry the double-ended LM bits plus a small adapter that will make them work with my Vic stuff. WRT the SAKs vs torque thing, the Phillips also "locks" in the 90o position, so it could be used like that...

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe the issue regarding torque was related to what I said earlier with the driver itself actually stripping and mashing up the phillips driver on the Spirit.  I can't see it taking too much TBH.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 07:09:04 PM
Chris,

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe the issue regarding torque was related to what I said earlier with the driver itself actually stripping and mashing up the phillips driver on the Spirit.  I can't see it taking too much TBH.

Actually after re-reading I don't think that was what was said  :D  so please forgive me.  :D

I still see the driver mashing up though.
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 07:10:04 PM
Hmmm... I can see your point but I still believe that it is easier to damage the head that way by using it on some stubborn screw (and having it slip around) than by putting it in a solid piece of metal holding it nice and firm...  :think: In any case, I'm willing to try it out, if only I knew which (if any) of the various adapters out there fits that head without play (for example, the Gerber is surely not one of them).

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 07:13:53 PM
It will be fine if you don't over torque it, but sak drivers do easily strip if you apply to much force.  The difference with the LM drivers is that the adapter slots over the length of some of the driver so that the force is distributed over the that length.  Looking at the SAK driver, the tips of the phillips are what is taking the brunt of the force making for a far less solid driver.

Still, I could just be talking a load of rubbish so try it anyway.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 07:19:41 PM
Respectfully going a bit off topic , While leatherman's new bits work quite well , they have an Achilles heel , they aren't readily available , and come in sets , it's hard to get multiple examples of the sizes you need most . I kinda know wherof I speak , multibit Snap On drivers have been my 90% go to drivers for over twenty years . With the best will in the world , bits get lost .

The only way you could find out how much torque you could exert with a SAK or other Vic. philips ( in the role of adapter host would be to test it ) . I have a hunch they might be tuffer than you would think . A wise man would only use multi an SAK drivers foe medium torque situations .

Chris

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 07:23:23 PM
Respectfully going a bit off topic , While leatherman's new bits work quite well , they have an Achilles heel , they aren't readily available , and come in sets , it's hard to get multiple examples of the sizes you need most . I kinda know wherof I speak , multibit Snap On drivers have been my 90% go to drivers for over twenty years . With the best will in the world , bits get lost .

The only way you could find out how much torque you could exert with a SAK or other Vic. philips ( in the role of adapter host would be to test it ) . I have a hunch they might be tuffer than you would think . A wise man would only use multi an SAK drivers foe medium torque situations .

Chris

The phillips driver itself is good, I'm just concerned that because of the actual way the phillips is made with it tapering out at the end that it may get damaged easily.  Like you say, there's only one way to find out!  :D

That is the snag with LM drivers.  :(  It's nice they are just that bit thinner though for carrying them.
I'm back!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 07:38:51 PM
I built a wallet that holds 12 quater hex bits , It EDC's OK , at least in work type trousers . Didn't feel any different in practical terms to the Leatherman bit carriers .

Someday I've got to figure out how to post pics !

Chris

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 10:16:43 PM
I was thinking about the LM bits and how portable and nice they are and remembered that they actually fit in standard hex adapters if put sidewise. It so dawned me that it would be great if there was a small bit adapter, similar to the older Gerber bit adapters, that would fit on the Vic Phillips head or some other implement. I've already tried that but the facts that the Vic Phillips head has more of a rectangular than a square cross-cut and that the head is wider than the rest of the driver, introduce some annoying play. Were there such a thing it would work wonders, as (at least all of my) SAKs also have the same Phillips driver. Any ideas? E.g. would the LM Core or Blast or the SOG adapters fit that head? :think: :think: :think:
the sog adapter will not work at all.. the LM blast adapter would work but it fits very loose. The old style gerber works the best of the 3.  Not perfect but useable.    I didnt test any on screws.   I just tried   them for fit on a SwissTool phillips.
Dennis

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 10:52:06 PM
I built a wallet that holds 12 quater hex bits , It EDC's OK , at least in work type trousers . Didn't feel any different in practical terms to the Leatherman bit carriers .

Someday I've got to figure out how to post pics !

Chris

Pics would be great! I'd be interested in seeing what you made...  :pok: :pok: :D
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD