Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My dream/ idea for a new SAK tool

ca Offline Canuckdad

My dream/ idea for a new SAK tool
on: October 30, 2021, 08:54:41 PM
I am a bearded man. As such I am shocked that in a day and age when beards are very popular there is no SAK with a beard comb  :think: .

This is a necessity for some, and I am sure it would be easy for Victorinox to do.  It should be a small comb just to be used in a pinch like this one I keep in my work bag. I put it behind my Pioneer to give you all an idea of what it COULD look like. It could be made from plastic and slide out somehow to easily replace OR preferably,  made from metal. Sure metal would be hard BUT again its just to be used when you need to quickly tidy up your beard. I also feel it should be on a 2 or 3 layer SAK, no bigger than that. Maybe making a special model of the Cpmpact. Sportmans, Pioneer, Bantam, Cadet, Recruit ,Spartan, or Climber that has this comb. They could call it the Compact C model or Recruit C model. Something like that.

I think men today CARE about hygiene and taking care of our beard and would love a comb. I also think women would find this handy "in a pinch" as well.

Its just an idea but I would buy that model in a heartbeat  If there is already a SAK with a comb and I have somehow overlooked it please let me know. If not I hope Victorinox comes up with this idea

* oct30.jpg (Filesize: 42.87 KB)
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

ca Offline N05J3W3

Re: My dream/ idea for a new SAK tool
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 09:37:35 PM
Victorinox Chinmaster?

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 09:52:14 PM
Victorinox Chinmaster?

SURE! lol I like it!
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 09:57:04 PM
I've seen novelty switchblade combs, so the practicality of a comb that folds into a pocket knife handle is already established. Victorinox just needs to jump on it.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 09:59:24 PM
I've seen novelty switchblade combs, so the practicality of a comb that folds into a pocket knife handle is already established. Victorinox just needs to jump on it.

Yep I had a switch blade comb as a kid. I need to send this suggestion to Victorinox asap

nz Offline Storm

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 10:38:08 PM
Doesn't GEC do/ did do a beard comb/ knife  2 blade traditional ?
Edit: quick Google showed up the GEC 15 urban jack . Maybe a modder could Frankenstein one onto a pioneer frame as a middle layer .
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 10:52:05 PM
Even when I keep my beard longer, I don't find it necessary to comb it.   

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 11:03:10 PM by Fireman »

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 11:28:36 PM
A prototype with a comb is on showcase in the small Victorinox museum in Brunnen, Switzerland. I think the problem is the guarantee. Victorinox gives a lifetime guarantee with free repairs. A plastic comb creates too many problems there. (just my point of view, maybe I'm wrong)
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 12:46:36 AM
Doesn't GEC do/ did do a beard comb/ knife  2 blade traditional ?
Edit: quick Google showed up the GEC 15 urban jack . Maybe a modder could Frankenstein one onto a pioneer frame as a middle layer .

Thanks my friend

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 12:47:06 AM
A prototype with a comb is on showcase in the small Victorinox museum in Brunnen, Switzerland. I think the problem is the guarantee. Victorinox gives a lifetime guarantee with free repairs. A plastic comb creates too many problems there. (just my point of view, maybe I'm wrong)

I appreciate you input

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 12:47:34 AM
Even when I keep my beard longer, I don't find it necessary to comb it.   

(Image removed from quote.)
I actually comb mine quite a bit. but thats just me

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 02:21:17 AM
I think it's a great idea. Possibly with a replaceable comb, like toothpick/tweezers. That solves the warranty issue and also improves the hygiene issues.
Either way it won't work for me. I haven't shaved or trimmed my beard since I retired from the military, so 12 years or so. There's no comb made making it through this beard. And yes I look like a sasquatch :facepalm:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 02:27:26 AM
I shave my face cleanly, but seeing how GEC had wild success with the Beer and Sausage Knife, and how Swiza makes a knife with a (horse mane) comb, I can see it happening.

Supposedly the reason was hygiene as to why they didn't include the comb. Yet, we have a SAK with a hoof pick. Having worked with horses, having the schmutz that comes out of a hoof next to my blade is just plain nasty. I carried a separate hoof pick, or a larger knife with hoofpick alongside my traditional folder.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 02:00:22 AM
Great idea brother! I’m a bearded SAK enthusiast myself. A good product can also be a lifesaver as well. I’ve had a beard for 10+ years and tired so many products but these guys https://beardproducts.com I’ve found to be the best ones out there for me. I particularly like the lavender beard conditioner and beard growth conditioner also the Santa beard oil is nice. they work well and last a long time also smell great too. Now you got me thinking I might have to try to mod a beard comb into a 111mm...  :think:
 :cheers: :salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 03:15:03 AM
Syph007 makes custom saks, and he has a custom titanium comb tool for them.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34772.6000.html

* IMG_9877.jpg (Filesize: 176.19 KB)

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 03:38:46 AM
I think it's a great idea. Possibly with a replaceable comb, like toothpick/tweezers. That solves the warranty issue and also improves the hygiene issues.
Either way it won't work for me. I haven't shaved or trimmed my beard since I retired from the military, so 12 years or so. There's no comb made making it through this beard. And yes I look like a sasquatch :facepalm:
Thanks for your input friend

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #16 on: October 31, 2021, 03:41:03 AM
Great idea brother! I’m a bearded SAK enthusiast myself. A good product can also be a lifesaver as well. I’ve had a beard for 10+ years and tired so many products but these guys https://beardproducts.com I’ve found to be the best ones out there for me. I particularly like the lavender beard conditioner and beard growth conditioner also the Santa beard oil is nice. they work well and last a long time also smell great too. Now you got me thinking I might have to try to mod a beard comb into a 111mm...  :think:
 :cheers: :salute:

Always great to meet another bearded brother. I love trying new beard products! Victorinox needs to get on this lol

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2021, 03:42:04 AM
Great pictures! I like that comb

us Offline Sos24

Reply #18 on: October 31, 2021, 04:29:20 AM
My dream tool would be the chisel from the SwissTool Spirit. 

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #19 on: October 31, 2021, 08:59:20 AM

Agree! But with a lock...
And a diamond file, as some Leathermans have.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #20 on: November 01, 2021, 02:13:36 PM

From what I recall of using a comb, that looks...dangerous. :o  Canuckdad's idea looks a lot more friendly.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #21 on: November 01, 2021, 03:03:19 PM
Neil made a similar SAK with a comb for Movember a few years back (in fact, I thought yours was related to Movember as well).
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #22 on: November 01, 2021, 07:12:05 PM
I would love a SAK with a beard comb too.  You really don't want to talk with anyone when you still have crumbs from lunch in your beard and mustache.  It just takes a couple of swipes to clear all that out.  It hasn't really been an issue with face masks, but I still do it for my own comfort.  A grooming specific knife such as a "Cadet X" with the knife blade replaced with the comb would be cool.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 07:47:13 PM

nice

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #24 on: November 01, 2021, 07:47:56 PM

From what I recall of using a comb, that looks...dangerous. :o  Canuckdad's idea looks a lot more friendly.

;)

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #25 on: November 01, 2021, 07:48:57 PM
I would love a SAK with a beard comb too.  You really don't want to talk with anyone when you still have crumbs from lunch in your beard and mustache.  It just takes a couple of swipes to clear all that out.  It hasn't really been an issue with face masks, but I still do it for my own comfort.  A grooming specific knife such as a "Cadet X" with the knife blade replaced with the comb would be cool.

RIGHT?? a comb would be great in a pinch

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #26 on: November 01, 2021, 08:44:54 PM
Could the stainless spine of the comb perhaps be one of the layers and the plastic comb snap into or onto it? Like a tool holder of sorts. Then the plastic comb insert could be replaced as necessary. And different tooth configurations available based on beard thickness. Just thinking. :think:

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #27 on: November 01, 2021, 10:38:11 PM
Could the stainless spine of the comb perhaps be one of the layers and the plastic comb snap into or onto it? Like a tool holder of sorts. Then the plastic comb insert could be replaced as necessary. And different tooth configurations available based on beard thickness. Just thinking. :think:

absolutely

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #28 on: November 02, 2021, 01:09:18 AM
Or maybe the comb could insert into a holder akin to a bit driver, or the saw and file on the Leatherman Surge.

Note that I don’t have any plans to grow a beard, but the engineering challenge of integrating a comb into a SAK is interesting.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 02, 2021, 10:06:20 AM
Hummm.... guess Vic should have made that model with the comb available then....  :think:

Apparently there IS a market for it... :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%