Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I should have just bought a Swiss Champ from the beginning!

00 Offline Dr. Boombatz

I've been experimenting a little bit with SAK's the last month or so. Started out buying a Spartan, which led to a Compact, which led to a few others (Huntsman, Scout Alox, Pioneer Alox, Pioneer X Alox, Classic Alox, Spartan, Sportsman, Tinker), and finally a Swiss Champ.

I keep a Classic Alox on my keychain, but aside from that I really don't carry any of the other SAK's for EDC. The Swiss Champ is the one that sees the most use. It sits on my desk and I have found that I tend to reach for it more than any there SAK usually at least once a day. Used it the other day to scrape out the last bits of foam/glue from a Pelican case after replacing the foam (used the flathead portion of the bottle opener). Just yesterday evening used the Phillips to adjust the tension on a Kydex holster when I was dry practicing at home. Also used the scissors to trim a small piece of industrial velcro.

But aside from that I don't really carry them as an EDC knife/tool like I thought I would. I seem to prefer carrying some sort of "larger" EDC blade (my favorite has been the rather cheap and unassuming Buck 112 Slim Select).

I do have a Huntsman with plus scales in the center console of my car, and keep another Huntsman with plus scales in my hiking pack, but for day to day, EDC use when out of the house I still haven't been able to commit to a SAK over a slightly more substantial folding knife. Seems like an EDC folder in the pocket and a Classic in Alox on the keychain is what works for me, and the Swiss Tool gets the most use of all the SAK's I have, used for tasks around the house, spur of the moment projects, etc.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 02:46:01 PM by Dr. Boombatz »

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Re: I should have just bought a Swiss Champ from the beginning!
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 02:49:42 PM
I still haven't been able to commit to a SAK

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 03:02:40 PM
Started out buying a Spartan, which led to a Compact, which led to a few others (Huntsman, Scout Alox, Pioneer Alox, Pioneer X Alox, Classic Alox, Spartan, Sportsman, Tinker), and finally a Swiss Champ.

Sounds about right. :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 04:06:37 PM
I could have saved a ton of time if I had just picked up a Swisschamp myself!  Combined with the Alox Minichamp and a Swisstool and I'm good to go!  Honestly, a Classic on my keychain would cover 90 percent of what I actually do anyways :facepalm:
Barry

00 Offline Dr. Boombatz

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 04:09:28 PM
Honestly, a Classic on my keychain would cover 90 percent of what I actually do anyways :facepalm:

Ain't that the truth!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 05:38:19 PM
I generally find you'll want to have one small, slim, minimalist model, usually an 84mm one like the Tinker... then a mid-sized one, such as a Huntsman or Ranger... but to be prepared for most things really you want an inline Phillips, so that pretty much means a Swiss Champ.
I've had to accept this myself lately, but Go Outdoors had a sale on so it wasn't quite so distressing!! :D

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 06:34:09 PM
I generally find you'll want to have one small, slim, minimalist model, usually an 84mm one like the Tinker... then a mid-sized one, such as a Huntsman or Ranger... but to be prepared for most things really you want an inline Phillips, so that pretty much means a Swiss Champ.
I've had to accept this myself lately, but Go Outdoors had a sale on so it wasn't quite so distressing!! :D

If the screwdriver is really important, I would actually prefer a Cybertool. They are more expensive, but that bit driver is superb.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 08:02:31 PM by Simon_Templar »

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 06:51:24 PM
I think the best way is known to all of us...

GET EM ALL !!  :woohoo: :climber: :woohoo:

:cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 08:01:44 PM

:iagree:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 08:39:29 PM

But aside from that I don't really carry them as an EDC knife/tool like I thought I would. I seem to prefer carrying some sort of "larger" EDC blade (my favorite has been the rather cheap and unassuming Buck 112 Slim Select).

Well, if you like it more substantial and want to stay in the Victorinox camp, there's always the 111 mm and 130 mm models...

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 08:41:55 PM

The master has spoken.  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 09:59:38 PM
Swiss Champ is a SAK that everyone should own, even if it's not one you carry every day.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2021, 10:01:03 PM
There's always the 111 mm and 130 mm models...
True, but I doubt I can legally carry one. The dipsmurf city I live in has a blade length limit, and a 93mm model barely falls within that limit. I gotta move out into the sticks...
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 12:32:36 AM
If the screwdriver is really important, I would actually prefer a Cybertool. They are more expensive, but that bit driver is superb.
I find it far too limiting, myself. It just makes me want more bits and bigger bits, especially on the hex and torx range.
It's great for a few select 4mm bits, but really Victorinox should have followed suit by now and done one with a 6mm bit driver. The Armbar is quite good for that, in theory even if not in actual implementation.

us Online hsherzfeld

Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 06:39:46 AM
Or an Explorer...
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 10:49:14 AM
Or an Explorer...
^
That right there is the trap trigger... I fell for it. Many others fell for it. It's the choice between the Philips/magnifier, wood saw (and metal saw), or the pliers that either leads you to carrying several different models... or just buying a Swiss Champ! :D

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 11:36:11 AM
I find it far too limiting, myself. It just makes me want more bits and bigger bits, especially on the hex and torx range.
It's great for a few select 4mm bits, but really Victorinox should have followed suit by now and done one with a 6mm bit driver. The Armbar is quite good for that, in theory even if not in actual implementation.

I agree the Torx and Hex bits are a bit useless unless you work with computers. But the slotted and the Philips bits blow any inline Philips or can opener tip out of the water. And the Cybertool driver is long and thin to boot. It doesn't get any better in Victorinox SAKs!

I will admit a 6mm bit driver implement would be even more useful, but including this and some corresponding bits into a 91 mm frame seems unrealistic. It would be a cool option in the 111 mm or 130 mm range though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 11:42:20 AM by Simon_Templar »

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #18 on: December 30, 2021, 05:59:42 PM
I agree the Torx and Hex bits are a bit useless unless you work with computers. But the slotted and the Philips bits blow any inline Philips or can opener tip out of the water. And the Cybertool driver is long and thin to boot. It doesn't get any better in Victorinox SAKs!
The CT driver itself is good and I do work with computers and other electronics a fair bit, but certainly at CT Lite level the whole unit is somewhat cumbersome.

The main problem is that 5mm D-SUB connectors are far less prevalent than 20 years ago when the CT first came to us. I still use it for 5mm motherboard stand-offs, but many PSU bolts lack a cross head and require a 6mm socket driver.
Then you have issues with larger Phillips screws in the world outside of computers, which is where I found myself buying an Explorer just for the in-line Phillips. I find a lot of furniture and woodworking screws really need a #3 or #4 Phillips, for example. Cars are even worse.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 06:55:47 PM
Cars are even worse.
I can think of two instance in which that's true: removing and replacing seat belts on my old Dodge Dakota and the latching hardware on Ford pickup beds. Both tasks required a T50/T55. Any other specific examples?
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #20 on: December 30, 2021, 08:05:41 PM
I keep wondering if I should replace my swisschamp by a CT 41, and yet I can't decide ! I will surely get one to test it, but it's a tough decision.
You should definitively get one !  :cheers:
As for torx drivers, I thought about getting one of those "pens" that can hold a few bits, to solve that problem.  :tu:

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #21 on: December 30, 2021, 09:53:24 PM
I can think of two instance in which that's true: removing and replacing seat belts on my old Dodge Dakota and the latching hardware on Ford pickup beds. Both tasks required a T50/T55. Any other specific examples?
A lot of jobs I do require removing undertrays and other trim panels that need something larger than a #P2, else you strip the plastic fasteners. I also find Hex bits from 6mm to 10mm quite necessary, along with Torx #20 and up.
That's just the car-specific ones that immediately spring to mind. There will be plenty others I'll encounter, along with other scenarios, all of which are covered by either a short or the 111mm long in-line Phillips.

The existing options are nice when using the Cybertools S and M on the electronics for which they were intended... but the wood and metal saws of the CT41 suggest wider usage, for which you'd really need more bits. The Lite is perfect for building a PC and I've done several using no other tool... but then half the common tools go quite unused.
I'm still not convinced that the CT range really has that much use outside of the niche Vic seemingly intended for it

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 10:59:41 PM
Now that you think you have it all figured out Dr. B., I’ll tell you the real secret…

Everyone needs a Champ. Maybe a Workchamp too, but I digress a bit. Then they need a mod that has all the favorites. One (perhaps regular production) mid size-ish with the most used tools. And one minimal that has the stuff you really hate being without. One that ‘pushes’ you out of your comfort zone.

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts since you’ve joined. I hope you continue to have more to share!  :cheers: :tu:

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2021, 12:28:54 AM
Or go with a hex bit coupler on the inline Phillips of an Explorer or Swiss Champ.

* Hex bits 1.jpg (Filesize: 487.84 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #24 on: December 31, 2021, 01:28:03 AM

Everyone needs a Champ. Maybe a Workchamp too, but I digress a bit. Then they need a mod that has all the favorites.
:tu:
Which is why I PMed you.  :)

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 31, 2021, 05:33:32 AM
Which is why I PMed you.  :)

Funny…I was playing with that knife today and after kicking myself a bit for the snafu…wondering what I was gonna do with it.  :dunno:

Currently sitting with the EDC stuff, but not ready to sharpen and prep it for *my* use.

I’m always on the lookout for suitable donors…when the knives aren’t for the collection or chronology stuff. 
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 31, 2021, 09:37:08 AM
I keep wondering if I should replace my swisschamp by a CT 41, and yet I can't decide ! I will surely get one to test it, but it's a tough decision.

Assuming the fish scaler is not a must and the price difference is not an issue, it really comes down to this: do you need a magnifier or not? If not, the CT41 is a decidedly better choice (imo).

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 31, 2021, 10:11:30 AM
[...]
Then they need a mod that has all the favorites.

[...]

Personally I am not sure about this. Sure, mods are an interesting concept and once you go down that road I imagine there's no turning back. But I for one like living on what nature (well, Vic really) provides. It's more of a challenge to find the "right" SAK, you might even end up with nothing but the closest possible approximation, but isn't that what life is all about? And the joy when Vic decides to give us a new model (like the Pioneer X or recently the Climber Lite). It's so much sweeter when you didn't go full Prometheus before. ;)

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #28 on: December 31, 2021, 01:15:21 PM
Personally I am not sure about this. Sure, mods are an interesting concept and once you go down that road I imagine there's no turning back. But I for one like living on what nature (well, Vic really) provides. It's more of a challenge to find the "right" SAK, you might even end up with nothing but the closest possible approximation, but isn't that what life is all about? And the joy when Vic decides to give us a new model (like the Pioneer X or recently the Climber Lite). It's so much sweeter when you didn't go full Prometheus before. ;)

It’s funny you say that as I have been modding for a bit now trying to find a ‘perfect’ combination of tools and I’ve come up with a few pretty decent ones but I recently built and outdoorsman (granted not available from stock now) which is closer than anything so far and I always carry a standard manager or classic on my keys so I’m kind coming around to the idea that Vic kinda know what they are doing?

Swiss Champ just has it all and I would say is a no brainier for anyone that wants a vast but still manageable toolset but huntsman/mountaineer are fantastic as are Spartan, Sportsman and Farmer X!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 31, 2021, 04:12:48 PM

HB sort of hit the ‘reason’ - for me at least . Reasonably priced access to Disco (discontinued) and rare and especially rare disco models. Ones that I wouldn’t normally buy to use.

The Troubleshooter is the knife I would have Victorinox update or reissue with at least the newer stainless saw. So yes, it was fun to find that ‘perfect’ production model and collect a lifetime+ supply. Modding gives me the option to add or swap tools that Victorinox normally wouldn’t. Like pruner, serrated main, or the lite module.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 05:26:12 PM by kamakiri »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $91.95
PayPal Fees: $4.93
Net Balance: $87.02
Below Goal: $212.98
Site Currency: USD
29%