Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Bit Ratchets

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
EDC Bit Ratchets
on: January 15, 2022, 01:26:27 AM
It was the very quest of finding an edc screwdriver that led me to MTO. There were many a stop in this journey, every new one just as promising as the last. Dedicated stubby drivers were kind of good, but carrying them was annoying and they offered no versatility. Key-chain driver bits were easier to carry, but were not effective against tight fasteners and again, offered no versatility. Swiss Army Knives and multi-tools were plenty versatile and offered multiple drivers, but again, could not handle stubborn screws and only covered flat and Phillips.

The necessity of Allen bits and more torque eventually led to compact bit ratchets. Easy to carry, compatible with standard bits, stronger than any multi-tool driver, and much easier to replace should one be damaged, these tiny guys do the trick. So let's go through a few models and see what these are all about. :cheers:

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: EDC Bit Ratchets
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 01:31:23 AM

Ares 70040 Micro Ratchet
(can also be found branded by Sealey)
Weight: 58g
Length: 85mm
Head width: 21mm
Head clearance with standard bit: 25mm (adds no length)
Teeth count: 72
Minimum swing arc: 5°
Bit retention: Ball detent
In-line driver bit socket: yes
In-line driver socket bit retention: Ball detent
Bit material: Chrome Vanadium steel
Handle material: Chrome Vanadium steel
Ratchet gear material: Chrome Molybdenum steel
Price: $15 with 8 bits
Bits: Phillips 1/2, Flat 3/16" and 1/4", Torx 15/20, Square 1/2

Accessories
The Ares comes with eight standard bits in a plastic bit holder. A good selection, but no Allen bits.

Dimensions
The Ares is surprisingly short, at 85mm. It has a stocky, robust body, with a somewhat wide head. The bit clearance depends on the bit itself, as the Ares adds no length to the inserted bit.

Teeth Count
The Ares has a very high teeth count, at 72, which gives a very low swing arc, at 5 degrees. Handy if there is little room to swing the tool to turn a fastener. If there is adequate room to swing the tool around, it makes quick work of turning fasteners.

Bit Retention
The Ares has ball detents for both slots. This allows the bits to be removed easily, even stubby bits. For a little more retention, have the ball detent rest on the marked side of bits, for more traction.

Bit compatibility
Stubby bits can be removed very easily. Standard double-ended bits and Leatherman proprietary bits will fit the ratchet end, if one end is slim enough to clear the hole. They do not work in the in-line driving socket, as it is too shallow for them to engage and turn properly.
Grooved neck bits and extensions work beautifully in both ends, as the ball detents are at the perfect height to lock them in place.

Switch action
The Ares has a sliding switch which is low-profile, but has low detent, and may get pushed accidentally. This happens when I push the head with my thumb to get the bit to stay in a tight screw, and only when I turn the ratchet too fast.
As it is a slider, it sits flush against the body and does not catch on anything. It is knurled in two opposite directions, to make it easy to operate.

Ease of use
The Ares is quite short, but still long enough to get decent torque. The head is wide, which makes it very robust, but it will not get in as tight a spot as the other tools. Still, it offers an in-line bit driver slot, and both slots have ball detents, making it easy to swap bits. The weight is not enough to cause fatigue. The action reversing switch is a slider, and it has weak retention. I often push the head with my thumb, so I accidentally push the slider and reverse the action when turning screws. When using the in-line driver slot, the neck knurling provides enough traction for the tool to turn screws. The high teeth count allows for very little swing to turn a bit, so even with almost no space to move the tool, it will still turn fasteners. The ratcheting end also adds no length to a bit, allowing for very low clearance, especially paired with stubby bits.
It does not have a knurled finger wheel. The in-line bit socket is not funneled, which is unusual, although bits are still easy to install.

Construction Quality
The Ares is decently finished. The slider's channel and neck knurling may look just a tiny bit unpolished, but this is minor. The ratcheting action is smooth and consistent. The bits fit the slots well with little wobble. The ball detents work as they should, providing adequate retention.

Portability
The Ares is quite heavy, but also very short. If it comes down to length but not weight, it will do well, and it is not that heavy to begin with, at 58 grams. With wide ends and a thin body, it fits well in edc pouches and multi-tool case side-sleeves, even pen sleeves. The ratcheting head has a hole, which allows the tool to be clipped to a pack or key-chain with a quick release clip or carabiner.

Value
At $16, it is good value for money, considering its pros and that it comes with eight bits.

Conclusion
Despite the low price, the Ares has some nice features; in-line bit socket, high teeth count, low profile ratchet head, ball detent bit retention. It is also very short, which makes it a nice addition to a pouch. It is also quite robust, which shows, as it is a bit on the heavy side. Still, for what it offers, the Ares is a good purchase.

Pros
-Heavy duty.
-Knurled neck for easier in-line driving.
-High teeth count.
-Ratcheting end adds no length to inserted bit.
-Good but not overly strong bit retention.
-Ratchet end compatible with many double-ended bits.

Cons
-Heavier than competition.
-Ratchet action switch detent could be stronger.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 04:12:37 AM by ReamerPunch »

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 06:01:15 AM
I carry the Topeak Ratchet Rocket, myself.
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/75-Mini-Tools/1075-RATCHET-ROCKET-LITE-DX

Currently working on a custom tool roll for all my additional bits (6mm and 4mm), plus extensions.
I might see if I can knock up a breakdown like the one above, though my camera isn't that good...!

Offline ComboTool

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 11:05:56 AM
 :popcorn:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 02:01:21 PM
This thread is going to be super interesting !  :woohoo:
I carry the Victorinox ratchet, and the only complain I have with it is the incompatibility with Leatherman bits on the inline slot.
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 07:23:12 PM
Great review, RP :salute: :like: :like:

Only ratchet I edc is the LM Ratchet Driver and I really love it :tu:

I have had a couple different small ratchets over the years though :cheers: and this review makes me think I need another :ahhh

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 09:59:47 PM
Thanks, everyone! :cheers:
These tiny ratchets are here to stay, at least in my edc kit. I was carrying the Surge one, and wanted to remove a #5 Allen bolt from a bed. The bit driver flexed so much I am amazed it did not shatter. So I thought, "I'm not doing that again."
And when you have to deal with a lot of screws, a mini ratchet's speed and comfort really make the difference. :D

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 10:13:41 PM

Mulwark Mini Ratchet
(can also be found branded by Neiko, Laoa, Laser, Kaifnt, or even unbranded)
Weight: 47g
Length: 10cm or 4"
Head width: 17mm
Head clearance with standard bit: 26mm (adds 1mm)
Teeth count: 16
Minimum swing arc: 22.5°
Bit retention: spring detent
In-line driver bit socket: no
In-line driver socket bit retention: -
Bit material: Chrome Vanadium steel
Price: $16 with 19 bits (of which 13 are stubby)
Standard bits: Square 2, Flat 4.5 and 7, Phillips 1/2/3
Stubby bits: Flat 6, Phillips 1/2/3, Security Torx 15/20/25, Allen 3/4/5/6, Pozi 1/2

Accessories
The Mulwark comes with nineteen bits, of which 13 are stubby. These can come in handy for very tight spots. It also includes three tamper-proof Torx bits, which is nice. For a lower price, the ratchet can be bought with 10 standard bits.

Dimensions
At 10cm or 4", the Mulwark is not the shortest mini ratchet, but it is thin and narrow. It also has a low-profile ratchet head, with the bit socket barely protruding from the frame.

Teeth Count
The Mulwark has only 16 teeth which provide a 22.5 degree minimum swing arc. This is the lowest teeth count available, a clear sign of a low-end tool. If there is very limited space, the Mulwark may not even have enough room to swing and engage the next tooth.

Bit Retention
The Mulwark has a spring-loaded pin, that acts like a very weak ball detent. Bits with a tight fit, like Robertson or Allen especially, get stuck in screws when removing the tool. The good news is that stubby bits can be removed easily.

Bit compatibility
Leatherman bits and standard double-ended bits will work, as long as one end is thin enough to pass through the hole in the back of the ratchet head. The Neiko ratchet's hole is slightly smaller, so the Mulwark will work with more bits than the Neiko will.
There are no issues with standard bits, stubby bits, and grooved neck bits, apart from the rather weak detent.

Switch action
The Mulwark has an oversized and exposed spring-loaded pawl, which is its own switch. The detent is rather weak, and it can be bumped accidentally, reversing the action.

Ease of use
The ratcheting slot has only 16 teeth, so it needs to be able to swing at least 22.5 degrees in order to turn a fastener. The handle is not one solid piece of steel, but two pieces riveted together. While this is not the strongest ratchet out there, it is still capable of turning stubborn screws and bolts, and the added length provides decent torque and reach.
The open construction also allows it to be cleaned easily.
Ergonomics are decent. It has enough length for a four-finger grip, the edges are chamfered, there are no hotspots.
The Mulwark does not have an in-line bit driver or a knurled finger wheel. This would have been very helpful, considering the low teeth count.

Construction Quality
The Mulwark is painted and the coating has held up very well. The two peened pins that hold the two plates of the body together are not perfectly chamfered, and may grab and fray fabric pockets. The pawl and wheel are machined very well, have good tolerances, and operate properly, with no looseness, no skipping teeth, no grinding, no grittiness.
The Neiko ratchet's wheel is not as well finished, so there are more than cosmetic differences with different brands of this tool.

Portability
Although arguably long, it is still small enough for a pouch or a multi-tool side-sleeve or even pen slot. It is also flat, so it will not interfere with other gear.
It has a hole through the head, so it could be tethered with a carabiner or quick-release clip, and be clipped to a bag or belt-loop.

Value
The Mulwark is an entry level tool. It is inexpensive and it shows. It is not built like a tank, it does not have many features, it has a very high swing arc, and a pawl that may be bumped accidentally while using it.

Still, it does work, and it comes with nineteen bits, of which thirteen are stubby. Paired with the low profile head, this can get into some tight places, although the high swing arc may negate that.

Conclusion
The teeth count is about as low as it can be. It needs to turn at least 22.5 degrees to engage a tooth and turn a fastener. If there is less space, this will not work. And many ratchets will offer other convenient features and a more robust body, for not much more money.

This is not a bad tool; not a very good one, either. The bits are quite useful, and the set it rather inexpensive, so if you are looking for a stubby bit set to carry around, this might be worth it. The ratchet works, and it is always useful to have a spare tool for a tackle box, a dirty job, or to lend to someone without caring if it is not returned.

Pros
-Inexpensive.
-Comes with thirteen stubby bits.
-Lightweight, thin, and narrow.
-Compatible with many double-ended bits.
-Open construction mechanism allows easy maintenance.

Cons
-No in-line driver slot.
-Not single-piece body.
-Very low teeth count/very high swing arc.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 09:46:37 PM by zoidberg »

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 05:33:27 AM
I don't know why, but something always looked 'wrong' about those flat form factor ratchets  :dunno:

Enjoying the thread, I've wanted a Topeak ratchet for years but never jumped on it, this might show some good alternatives  :popcorn:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 11:50:38 AM

PK Tool Mini Ratchet
(can also be found branded by Budnitz, Katana, Rujoi, Signet, and Smato)
Weight: 29g
Length: 93mm
Head width: 15mm
Head clearance with standard bit: 25.5mm (adds 0.5mm)
Teeth count: 52
Minimum swing arc: 7°
Bit retention: spring
In-line driver bit socket: Yes
In-line driver socket bit retention: magnet
Price: $15, just for the tool

Accessories
The PK ratchet did not come with anything else.

Dimensions
This is extremely lightweight, at only 29 grams. It is also very compact, with a narrow stem and the narrowest head available.

Teeth Count
The PK has 52 teeth and a 7 degree swing arc. Quite high considering how small the head is.

Bit Retention
The PK has a spring in the ratcheting end. This spring is quite strong, making it somewhat difficult to remove bits with thin ends. It helps to push the bit out from the back while pulling from the front.
There is a magnet in the in-line driver socket. This magnet is also quite strong, and stubby bits and bits with thin heads may not provide enough purchase for fingers to remove them.

Bit compatibility
Stubby bits may prove difficult to remove from either end.
Standard double-ended bits cannot be used in the in-line socket. They can be used in the ratcheting socket as long as one end is thin enough to fit through the hole.
Leatherman bits barely engage in the in-line socket and are able to move significantly from side to side. They can be used in the ratcheting socket if one end is thin enough to fit through the hole, and if they are installed with the retention spring engaging the two notches on the bit to secure it.
Bits and extensions with grooved bases do fit the ratcheting socket, but the retention spring does not engage, so there is a lot of play, although they will not fall out.

Switch action
The PK has a small -arguably too small- and low-profile switch with good detent, so the action will not get reversed accidentally. The switch tail rests in a scalloped area, which guides the thumb left or right, to make operating the switch easy.

Ease of use
The PK has a very strong spring. Bits that have the side notches have to be pushed from the back while pulling from the tip. The in-line driver magnet is also arguably too strong, and stubby bits are impossible to pull out with my fingers. The ratchet action switch is low-profile, and does not get moved accidentally. The stem is very slim, but it provides decent amounts of torque. The ratcheting head has a knurled wheel, to quickly turn screws with your index and thumb once there is little to no drag. When using the in-line driver slot, there is no knurling to add traction.
The ratcheting head is the narrowest, and it will get in tight spots. The teeth count is high enough for a very low swing arc, so it will still manage to turn screws with limited space to swing the tool. Both bit slots are deeply funneled, to make installing bits easy.
The spring is also holding the ratcheting mechanism in place, and can be removed, should the unit require maintenance.

Construction Quality
The PK has excellent fit and finish; very little ratchet socket wobble in the frame, no grind marks or other imperfections of any sort. Everything is chamfered, polished, and precise. The ratchet switch has no play, bits fit very well with negligible wobble.
The ratchet mechanism works beautifully, with no grinding, no grittiness, it does not skip teeth; the action is consistent and the tolerances are precise.

Portability
The PK is extremely slim and lightweight. The stem is minuscule, which makes the tool perfect for edc pouches with elasticated webbing. It will disappear in any pouch or pocket, and it fits in the narrowest of pen slots.
Thanks to the hole in the back of the ratchet head, a carabiner or quick release clip can be used to attach the tool to a key-chain or pack.

Value
This would seem expensive considering it does not come with bits or anything else. Still, ratchets of this size (Liv, Giant, Topeak, Granite, Katana, etc) that do come with bits and cases are typically more than double the price of this. If you are only looking for a ratchet, this may be preferable to something similar that may leave behind an unused case or other accessories, that will cost a lot more.

Conclusion
When it comes to edc ratchets, this is hard to top. It will take the least amount of space and add a negligible amount of weight to your kit. There are others that cost less, but will be inferior to this one's quality, and also bulkier and heavier. There are others of this exact size that do come with bits, accessories, and cases, but they will cost at least double what this does. This is the least expensive option for a tiny, high quality ratchet.

Note that the exact same tool can be found under many brands with different bit kits and cases, so it would pay to shop around if you want this with accessories.

Pros
-Excellent fit and finish.
-Absolutely tiny.
-Knurled disk allows quick turning of loose fasteners with fingertips.
-Ratchet end compatible with many double-ended bits.
-Thin and narrow head combined with high teeth count can work in the tightest of places.

Cons
-Does not come with any accessories/bits.
-Quite tight bit retention.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:05:35 PM by ReamerPunch »

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 02:34:31 PM
^ That's pretty much what I was gonna say about the Topeak.

One thing I have found is that the inline driver, the lack of knurling really robs you of grip and power... but a sleeve of Sugru built up flush with the driver end, with some ribs or chequering laid in with a credit card edge, before leaving it to cure overnight, does work rather well!! ;)

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 07:11:23 AM
This thread is going to be super interesting !  :woohoo:
I carry the Victorinox ratchet, and the only complain I have with it is the incompatibility with Leatherman bits on the inline slot.

I've been curious about the Victorinox ratchet. I am not a fan of pass-through ratchets, though. Not to mention this is quite expensive to get. But I'd like to get my hands one one, if only to try it out.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 07:19:23 AM
I don't know why, but something always looked 'wrong' about those flat form factor ratchets  :dunno:

Enjoying the thread, I've wanted a Topeak ratchet for years but never jumped on it, this might show some good alternatives  :popcorn:

Yeah, those cheap flat ratchets are all over the place. You can even find it with no brand, that's how cheap they are.

The Topeak on the other hand, now that's a ratchet. A bit expensive to get, and I do not want bike-specific tools with it. I haven't seen any set with just the ratchet, bits, and case, and maybe an extension. Well, I actually have, but it was not branded by Topeak.
That's the interesting part of this whole thing. :think:
Most of these micro ratchets share manufacturers and therefore parts, and you can find the exact same tool from a few brands, or the same head on different tools. The Topeak for example, is the exact same tool sold by Granite and Blue Point, and it is almost the same as the Giant ratchet, and the PK ratchet, which also come under other brands.

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 10:03:45 AM
The Topeak on the other hand, now that's a ratchet. A bit expensive to get, and I do not want bike-specific tools with it. I haven't seen any set with just the ratchet, bits, and case, and maybe an extension. Well, I actually have, but it was not branded by Topeak.
The Lite DX version I posted is the closest I've found, in that the only bicycle-specific tool in the package is a pair of little nylon-plastic tyre levers... which you can easily chuck or give to a cyclist friend at work. It has the bits, ratchet and a 6mm extension, leaving room for a few more extras of your choosing.
UK Amazon has them for about £22, currently.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 10:10:01 AM
 :cheers:
I just ordered it. And the Prestacycle one.
The Topeak cannot be missing from this thread I think. Although it is almost identical to my PK Tools ratchet. But the Topeak has a dozen bits, so I'll cannibalize the set once it's here. :D
The Prestacycle looks great, too. A big longer, a bit more robust, and the extension can fit through the head for the T-handle configuration. And it's not that expensive for what it is.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 10:16:56 AM
Also, I've been looking closely at the Klein one. Adam is using it in the Toolbox Challenge. Small head, 72 teeth, good quality, I like the finger hole too. And this is probably the only one not branded by anyone else. It only comes with four bits and the socket adapter, but that's fine, already have hundreds of bits. ::)

I have decided not to get the Wiha one.
The head is the same as the CyclingDeal Cigar kit ratchet, that I have. More on that when I review it.
But the Wiha does not have an in-line driver, and it is heavier. And I already have that head in another ratchet, so I don't know. It does have a nice case with a ton of good quality bits, so I'll think about it. It might be on sale one day.

Offline lsalzman

Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 06:10:35 AM
On the subject of ridiculously small keychain-sized ratchets, I found these guys:

https://www.enjukuracing.com/products/hks-tone-ratchet-key-holder-set.html
https://www.amazon.com/HKS-Tone-Ratchet-Key-Chain/dp/B084S532XD

The first one comes with a quick-release 1/4 drive insert, and has a direction switch.
The second one has no ratchet insert, so you need to buy it separately, no direction switch (use other side to change direction), but does have a cool bonus pivot, and is cheaper...
I was tempted to get the first one because of quick-release and direction switch.

If you hook it up to this adapter from 10mm to magnetic hex bit (https://www.amazon.com/GEDORE-7RB-6-Adaptor-Hex-10/dp/B004ISRGIO) instead of using the quick-release insert, you can make it directly accept hex bits instead of chucking on a larger 1/4 drive to hex bit adapter...

These things are ridiculously small and definitely keychain sized (~ 2"), to the point where it might actually impair their functionality as a ratchet. With practice you can make it work. But I guess they are cool fidget toys that can double as a real ratchet in times of need... The 3"-4" long ratchets might be more usable if the goal is real-world use.

Also finger ratchets like these that directly accept bits would maybe make sense for EDC (bonus made in USA): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTEDYAM/

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 09:14:45 AM
Interesting thread and great reviews on each.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 10:06:50 AM
On the subject of ridiculously small keychain-sized ratchets, I found these guys:

https://www.enjukuracing.com/products/hks-tone-ratchet-key-holder-set.html
https://www.amazon.com/HKS-Tone-Ratchet-Key-Chain/dp/B084S532XD

The first one comes with a quick-release 1/4 drive insert, and has a direction switch.
The second one has no ratchet insert, so you need to buy it separately, no direction switch (use other side to change direction), but does have a cool bonus pivot, and is cheaper...
I was tempted to get the first one because of quick-release and direction switch.

If you hook it up to this adapter from 10mm to magnetic hex bit (https://www.amazon.com/GEDORE-7RB-6-Adaptor-Hex-10/dp/B004ISRGIO) instead of using the quick-release insert, you can make it directly accept hex bits instead of chucking on a larger 1/4 drive to hex bit adapter...

These things are ridiculously small and definitely keychain sized (~ 2"), to the point where it might actually impair their functionality as a ratchet. With practice you can make it work. But I guess they are cool fidget toys that can double as a real ratchet in times of need... The 3"-4" long ratchets might be more usable if the goal is real-world use.

Also finger ratchets like these that directly accept bits would maybe make sense for EDC (bonus made in USA): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTEDYAM/

Those are quite neat. True, they could be too tiny to actually use effectively. The Ares is only 85mm, and although heavier, could very easily live on a key-chain.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 10:11:15 AM
^ That's pretty much what I was gonna say about the Topeak.

One thing I have found is that the inline driver, the lack of knurling really robs you of grip and power... but a sleeve of Sugru built up flush with the driver end, with some ribs or chequering laid in with a credit card edge, before leaving it to cure overnight, does work rather well!! ;)

I've seen two ratchets that address this quite convincingly.
The Blackburn Big Switch ratchet has knurling on the in-line driver.
Looks like Topeak-sized, but even more expensive. I also have no use for the extra bike stuff, and I haven't seen it available in other sets.

The Synchros Lighter has knurling on the stem. Also a good approach. I do not know which of the two I would better. Maybe the Blackburn, I think. Kinda curious to try out both. Maybe one day. But the Synchros is way up there. I can get two Topeaks and a Happy Meal for one Synchros.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 10:18:24 AM
Interesting thread and great reviews on each.

Thanks!  :cheers:

I've got more to post. Waiting for another two to ship any day now. And I am thinking about ordering the two I mentioned above.

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 10:58:20 AM
I've seen two ratchets that address this quite convincingly.
The Blackburn Big Switch ratchet has knurling on the in-line driver.
I agree, the Blackburn is likely the better of the two, as the knurled section is thicker. The Synchros is a bit thin on the stem and, having large hands, I built up the stem of my Topeak for the same reason.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 04:01:42 PM
I'm not sure if this counts, but I use this a LOT at work...

* DhGYzc0[1].jpg (Filesize: 332.95 KB)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 04:33:13 PM
Good work thank you for this thread and those who offered their thoughts.  I have loved the idea of a mini ratchet and a while ago I made one to fit my LM bit holder.  It was decent but not compact per se.  I enjoy seeing everything and while I am not a fan of the pass thru ratchets I am intrigued. 

Looking forward to the next installments. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 06:21:55 PM
It certainly counts IMO...

Tell us about it, Janet! :)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 09:04:32 PM
Thanks!  :cheers:

I've got more to post. Waiting for another two to ship any day now. And I am thinking about ordering the two I mentioned above.

(Image removed from quote.)

Would you accept "help" so you can get the Vic Ratchet?  :pok: (I am really curious of how it performs against the others)
+ I'm sure a big comparison table could be super useful
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #26 on: January 22, 2022, 02:20:01 AM
I am open to suggestions. :cheers:
I am thinking of making a table or two. I'll see if I can get it started today.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: January 22, 2022, 06:11:26 AM

It sure does! :like:
I've seen that before. And it's not that expensive. I would prefer an in-line driving socket instead of a bottle opener, but it does have several functions. Do you find the bottle-opener notch annoying at all? :think:

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #28 on: January 22, 2022, 06:21:44 AM
Good work thank you for this thread and those who offered their thoughts.  I have loved the idea of a mini ratchet and a while ago I made one to fit my LM bit holder.  It was decent but not compact per se.  I enjoy seeing everything and while I am not a fan of the pass thru ratchets I am intrigued. 

Looking forward to the next installments.

Thanks. :cheers:
I've got a couple on the way, and looking around for more.
I particularly like those with an in-line driver, it is really handy.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #29 on: January 22, 2022, 07:35:53 AM
Also I found this online.
But again, this might be a bit too small to use effectively. The Ares may be a bit heavy for a key-chain, but it is short. The Topeak and its kin may be a tad long, but they are lightweight. Pros and cons to each, I guess.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%