Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox yearly LE colours

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Alox yearly LE colours
on: January 18, 2022, 10:38:19 AM
So far it looks as if the majority in the Alox LE 2022 thread likes this year's colour (dark grey). This made me think about what colours Vic should consider in general for its yearly Alox LEs.

Personally I am with Serge and the others who prefer the yearly LEs "to be a nice bright and shiny thing". It just makes more sense to me  that Vic gives the collectors a chance to get their hands on unusual and extravagant colours and keeps the safe and serious colours for its regular line up.

I reckon many users would like to EDC a dark grey Alox SAK, yet if they don't grab one of this year's LEs (and pay a hefty premium for the privilege) they just might never get a chance. Unless VIc introduces the colour in its regular line up further down the road, which however would then be annoying the collectors.

What do you fellow knights think?

nl Offline EMZ

Re: Alox yearly LE colours
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 11:22:04 PM
Personally I like the bright colors, but unfortunately this year Vic didn't.
Maybe if Victorinox would make Alox knives in the color 'Tactical Grey' aka 'Wolf Grey' they would sell more of them.

I think the cost of the 'paints' have risen spectacular the last two years due to an ever growing INFLATION.
Like it or not, inflation is here to stay.
Here's just one example that has nothing to do with SAK's, but everything with inflation (that drives the price of everything, including SAK's, to the moon):
Today there was this notice on my office's copy machine. It read something like "Due to a shortage of integrated circuits, the new toner cartridges lack the chip that signals to the copy machine. The copy machine's error message can be override by executing the following steps: ..."
Just an example to show how everything is connected, or should I say 'disconnected'..?

I don't think Vic is trying to make unreasonable profits out of their LE's, or any other products. Probably they do their very best just to survive and sell the best knives for the lowest possible price.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 03:43:10 AM
Generally speaking, I'd buy most any Alox LE if the funds are available. As I said in another thread, I believe Victorinox could do well to offer at least one or two readily available Alox colors.

There are many colors available for the Classic SD. One of my favorite knife retailers has the standard silver Classic SD priced at $27.99 US, and those in different colors at $29.99 US. That's a mere 6.67% premium. My other favorite knife retailers charge the same price for all Classic SDs with standard Alox scales. I would love to be able to get a Lime Twist Bantam, and I'd happily pay a small premium for one.

I still don't quite get the choice of models for the last two years' LEs, especially the Hunter Pro. I think they'd probably do much better to release a 58mm Alox model (such as the Rambler) and/or 93mm tool load that's only available for one year.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

[/rambling]
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

au Offline Echotech

Alox yearly LE colours
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 08:38:43 AM
I’m a fan of the grey, think it looks great, and personally reckon it makes a good contrast to 2021’s orange which I also like a lot

I agree :iagree: with you Simon that people will want to carry it and if it was part of the regular line up, not just LE, would likely sell well

For me LE’s should be just that though, you do pay a premium for them as has been pointed out, so it would be annoying if it became part of the regular line up, but it’d also be easy enough to have a slightly different shade to get around that

Next year’s will probably be a brighter colour again so doesn’t hurt to have something a little less shouty, may even appeal to people who wouldn’t normally bother buying an LE

I used to collect the LE cadets so it’s a shame they’re no longer in the line up but it’s also cool that they change it up from time to time. I don’t think the berry red was as nice as the regular red and the gold really doesn’t work for me.
The fuchsia was a great colour but somehow not quite right for a user, better as collection piece. This grey looks like a proper user to me

Like others I’m well over the yearly classic and would love to see an alox rambler as well. I did buy a couple of the precious alox classics though, so would have really liked to see some more models with it.

The Hunter Pro looks fantastic in the grey and I love the red one I have, but just a bit too pricey to buy one annually, but I’m sorely tempted I really am

So the PX is the one for me, I didn’t collect the LE pioneers so it’s allowed me to start a new collection after the cadets, starting with 2020’s winter magic, the 2021 orange and now the grey as I’ve got one on pre-order from Messershop, price wasn’t too bad either

:cheers:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 01:27:44 PM

For me LE’s should be just that though, you do pay a premium for them as has been pointed out, so it would be annoying if it became part of the regular line up, but it’d also be easy enough to have a slightly different shade to get around that

I think the latter is just the problem when it comes to grey: I don't see a possible variation of dark grey, so this colour now seems reserved to this year's LEs and consequently "dead" to the regular line up.

With blue, red and green - which are (together with black) the standard colours for shop versions of Alox knives - it is easy enough to find a slightly different shade for the LEs, as Vic already did. But dark grey is dark gray. The only valid variation (in my opinion) would be a differently-coloured shield. But these special shields are usually reserved for special runs and I for one would be rather annoyed if I bought a LE PX now and Vic offered in the future a PX in the same colour and with a coloured shield to boot as a regular model for less money.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 12:21:38 AM
In all honesty, I don't really care what color the annual LE is, as I will always buy it in some form.  I used to always buy the Pioneer and Cadet; now I always buy the PX but skip the others. 

I happen to really like this year's color so much that I bought two.  I bought three of last year's color, one for me, one for my kiddo, and one for a friend. 

It wouldn't bother me a bit if this year's color proves unpopular; maybe then the PX would remain available all year.  I'd probably buy another at some point. 

For me, the only sad thing would be if they discontinue the series altogether, although I guess if they do, complete collections would then go up in value I suppose.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 09:59:55 AM
I would love to see a dark purple, but I am still looking forward to seeing the gray in person.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%