Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The SwissTank MKIV

us Offline Buzzbait

• No Life Club
The SwissTank MKIV
on: March 31, 2022, 01:35:17 AM
It’s been awhile since I stopped by last. To be truthful, I just haven’t had too much to say. I’ve now been carrying a SwissChamp daily for almost three years running. And while change is sometimes a slow gradual process, recent events stimulated a rather large change. Small in comparison to most of you, but large in comparison to my decidedly predictable life.

But first let me catch you up to speed, as you’ve all probably long forgotten about me. I’d been a knife collector for more than 20 years. Then what started as a bit of summertime fun, turned into the swift end to my collector status. I found THE KNIFE. That knife was the SwissChamp.

I made a few modifications to the knife, and deemed it the SwissTank MK1. That brought on a desire for a SwissChamp of a slightly different age, and the SwissTank MKII was born. But of course I couldn’t stop there, further refining my preferences with yet another slightly different vintage of SwissChamp, which brought on the SwissTank MKIII.

That 3rd iteration of the SwissTank was wonderful, and nothing changed for years. I happily used that knife every single day, carried day and night, my constant companion in all matters.

Then the inevitable happened, and I sort of misplaced the knife a few weeks ago. I actually knew where it was, accidentally left at my cabin in the mountains. But I had to live without the SwissTank for a bit of time, until I was able to get back to camp and pick it up.

So I pocketed my backup SwissChamp, a modern model with a glass magnifier inside of a clear plastic housing. That was quite a change, as all my SwissTanks had contained the old style of glass magnifier in the grey plastic housing.

Well, I quickly got to loving that new style of magnifier. So much easier to use than the old style glass. Maybe not quite as powerful in magnification, but so much clearer. But that fear was always in the back of my head, wondering if the glass lens would pop out of the housing, as was known to happen with that particular vintage of SwissChamp.

Eventually, I did manage to grab my beloved old SwissTank MKIII. And on my second day back with it, the corkscrew side scale fell off, when I dropped the knife on my garage’s concrete floor. Uggghhhhhhh……. And it wouldn’t snap back on.

So back in my pocket went the backup SwissChamp, while I decided what to do with the SwissTank’s loose aftermarket scale. I naturally did a bit of research, to see if the loose lens issue was still a problem, and it sounded as though Victorinox might have resolved the issue with a redesign of the housing.

Well, the latest version of the SwissChamp arrived at my door this morning. The lens housing has indeed been modified, and I can happily say that the lens is now quite unmovable.

I quickly tore off the cellidor scales from the new SwissChamp, and epoxied the micarta scales from the old SwissTank MKIII onto the wonderful new knife. While I was at it, I transferred over the leather fob as well, and replaced the precision screwdriver with a crazy new FireAnt tinder and striker. I also covered the FireAnt with some shrink tubing, as I’d seen done in a YouTube video, in order to protect the tinder.

I briefly played with some new colorful toothpicks and tweezers, but none of them quite agreed with me. In the end, I decided to stick with my age old grey tweezers and bone colored toothpick. Call me old fashioned.

So here I present to you, the SwissTank MKIV, my latest vision of the perfect SwissChamp. While I may have lost some Phillips screwdriver length, my aging eyes absolutely adore the new magnifier.

Will I make any more changes? Maybe. I’d really, really, like to replace the toothpick and tweezers with something yellow in color. More specifically, I’m looking into amber colored Ultem as a new material for the toothpick. Expensive stuff, but I definitely want to give it a go this summer. If it works out, I may try to replace the plastic on the tweezers with Ultem as well.

--
'Buzz

us Offline Buzzbait

• No Life Club
Re: The SwissTank MKIV
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 01:36:48 AM
Let’s face it. Recent events were ripe for change. I could have done something drastic, changing things up in a major way, and trying a different model of Swiss Army Knife, or even another brand of multitool entirely. But no, it had to be the SwissChamp.

How do I properly convey my feelings here? The SwissChamp is nearly perfect for my needs, in every conceivable way. Every imaginable tool on the SwissChamp, works in harmony with every other tool, to combine to something that closely resembles perfection.

The exhaustive toolset inspires me to find answers to life’s mysteries. Problems are no longer issues to overcome. With the SwissChamp at my side, I have the ability to examine things, to probe them, to take them apart and put them back together. I learn through the SwissChamp. Life is now a series of challenges, testing me to find new ways to use all of those wonderful quirky shaped bits to the best of my ability.

While I do love my Leatherman Wave for what it is, it is rather brutish and obvious in its nature. It is simple and effective at very specific tasks. There is much to be said for this approach. It is a useful tool.

On the other hand, the SwissChamp is more like a magic bag of tricks. One has to be creative with the SwissChamp. It forces me to use the opposite side of my brain than a Leatherman. The SwissChamp places you in a favorable position to use an artistic approach in every situation, to turn circumstances on their side, to embrace finesse instead of strength, and see everything from an entirely new perspective.

After three years of pocketing the SwissChamp, I don’t really view it as a multitool at all. Definitely not a tool in the traditional sense. There is an artistry in the SwissChamp and how you use it. It’s more akin to the chemistry set you received for Christmas as a child, or the box of 64 Crayons. This is an object that does not convey assurity and stability, but instead wonder and fascination. Logic and planning no longer reign supreme, but instead wonder and adventure.

The SwissTank just enhances the overall experience of the SwissChamp. I’m hard on my equipment, so canvas micarta was an instinctive cover choice. These particular scales have years of use on them. They hold the oil of my skin, the blood from my veins. The grease and dirt from 1,000 different projects have turned the scales to the color of age old leather.

The fob has moved from every iteration of SwissTank to the next. There was no way I couldn’t continue that tradition. This old leather lace also happens to be just the right length, to not get in the way. It even holds my tiny flashlight, as well as a few nifty charms.

If I can impress anything upon you today, it is to take a break from tactical everything. Put down your black knives and paracord for a few days. Lose the skull beads. Abandon your pliers based multitool. Pick up an absurdly large Swiss Army Knife. Let your inner child come out, and play with it like a toy. Give it a few weeks of solo carry. See what you can do with a set of tools, that on the surface may seem to not be all that useful. The SAK may surprise you. Hopefully you will surprise yourself even more, learning to have fun again, seeing the world through a new set of eyes.
--
'Buzz

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 02:00:29 AM
Where is the thumbs up button?

* smily joe cool.jpg (Filesize: 86.58 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 02:07:12 AM
I hadn't forgotten you chap.
Thank you for the privilege of reading the most sincere love letter to anything I've ever read.
With all the searching for the perfect knife that goes on here(and other forums) its a magical thing to know that some people find "THE KNIFE", and I think it is great that you've given us a follow up on what happens afterwards, in your case, exactly like the fairytales "And they lived happily every after"
 :hatsoff: :tu:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 02:15:23 AM
Bravo!  A truly epic write-up!

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 02:38:54 AM
Fabulous write-up!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 03:48:36 AM
I agree 💯 with you Buzz and great to hear from you!!  I've pretty much edc'd a Vic product since I was a boy, and have finally figured out that it's the toolset that works for me.  I'm in a challenge involving another SAK at the moment, but I'm really looking forward to edcing a Workchamp I picked up last year.  It's a toolset I'm comfortable with, and it works for me.  Right behind it is my Swisschamp.  I love your mods!!  Keep on posting your adventures :tu:
Barry

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 05:09:00 AM
Great write up, and I like the look it has too!  :like: :like: It’ll be interesting to see the plastic replacement in due course!

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 06:21:34 AM
I enjoyed reading this, Buzzbait. Thank you for writing it.

It's why I like my Champ - a whole lot it can do in a small package.

And  :hatsoff: to a fellow Photon Micro Light carrier!
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 11:40:23 AM
Thanks for sharing, Buzzbait. :hatsoff: Great read; you conveyed that particular magic of SAKs very well. One experience that you unfortunately cannot make anymore is having a SAK in your youth, forgetting about it - and SAKs in general - later on and eventually re-discovering them. Then you have fond childhood memories to add to your adult fascination. Your daughter might enjoy that privilege at some point though  ;)

Btw, given that you have the collector's gene and love the SC: you are aware of last year's Damast SC, right...?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 11:57:51 AM by Simon_Templar »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 01:43:44 PM
Bravo, Buzz and welcome back.  I also fell in love with the Swiss Champ and carry one daily when not in a challenge.  I agree whole heartedly about tactical knives.  I won't buy anything marketed as tactical. They're just not for me.  I usually pair my Swiss Champ with a pliers based tool though because I do often need stronger pliers than those in the Swiss Champ. :cheers:

us Offline Buzzbait

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 02:09:58 PM
Thanks for sharing, Buzzbait. :hatsoff: Great read; you conveyed that particular magic of SAKs very well. One experience that you unfortunately cannot make anymore is having a SAK in your youth, forgetting about it - and SAKs in general - later on and eventually re-discovering them. Then you have fond childhood memories to add to your adult fascination. Your daughter might enjoy that privilege at some point though  ;)

Btw, given that you have the collector's gene and love the SC: you are aware of last year's Damast SC, right...?

My first knife as a boy was a camp/scout knife, the American equivalent of a SAK. I had it for a summer, and then lost it as boys often do. I guess you could say that my lifestyle was forever shaped by that simple folding set of tools.

Every knife I've purchased since has been compared to that first camp knife. For my particular lifestyle, Victorinox knives have proven to be even more useful than that first scout knife. Swiss Army knives are truly marvels of ingenuity.

My daughter hasn't embraced knives/multitools quite the way I have. But she does always have her own SwissChamp with her, carried in her backpack, whenever we go adventuring together.  :cheers:
--
'Buzz

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2022, 12:56:20 PM
Hi buzz bait,

I understand you. The Swisschamp ist almost perfect. My KNIFE is the Swisschamp XLT. Really like the bit driver. And also the extra blades.

Just yesterday opened a package of milk for coffee.

* IMG_20220401_155040-01.jpg (Filesize: 108.35 KB)

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 05:01:44 PM
Great Post!   :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74