Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

3 multitools = 2 SOG's + 1 Victorinox ..... UPDATED

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
3 multitools = 2 SOG's + 1 Victorinox ..... UPDATED
on: September 08, 2006, 05:38:02 AM
I used to carry a well known name brand multi-tool myself until I found a couple superior options ( based on 30+ years as a fire fighter, police officer and bomb disposal technician ( EOD ). I have owned a number of multi tools over the years and abused them all ( that's why the good ones have a lifetime warranty  ).  The three  best for the money are the 1. SOG Powerlock , 2. Victorinox Swiss Army Knife SwissTool RS  and 3. SOG Pocket PowerPlier (PPP)- don't waste your money on anything else - " Leather Guy " can't come close to a SOG or Victorinox in performance, functionality and warranty - in my opinion!!!  I do own other brand multitools and have a desk drawer full of them and they are used solely  for opening envelopes and packages. When I need a multitool at work I want a ‘real’ multitool that I can depend on to do the job at hand -  the following 3 are my  choices, depending on the assignment.

The first multi-tool worth your money is a SOG Powerlock ( various models are now available to suit your needs). This folding tool isn't new, a fact that speaks to its highly regarded Compound Leverage mechanism that generates twice the pressure and gripping power of lesser tools. To wit: this thing is the Jaws of multitools. Beyond strength, you'll love the pivoting handle covers that really do improve comfort and dexterity. All the essential tools are intricately positioned for deployment, including a quarter-inch drive socket, spring-loaded scissors, half-serrated knife blade, saw, several screwdrivers and Phillips-style model, wire cutters, file... and on and on. And for you showoffs out there, the PowerLock's ability to open with a quick flick of the wrist is undeniably cool. The PowerLock features removable, pivoting handle covers that improve the comfort profile for your hand. More pressure can now be exerted on those tough jobs! Like the rest of the family in the PowerPlier® series, the PowerLock can be opened and closed with a one-handed flip of the wrist. This is a basic requirement from SOG as so often one is holding wires or standing on a ladder and does not have both hands free. All tool components are easy to access and lock in the open position. The Phillips even locks in two open positions. With one of the simplest and safest locking devices ever engineered, just press the back of the lock and close the component into the handle. Included in the handles of this compact tool box is the first foldable 1/4" drive that will turn sockets or, with a standard adapter, any hex screwdriver tip. It will also turn heads! Scissors can be one of the most used tool components and we have answered that demand with foldable spring-loaded scissors that are extremely sharp. This patent pending marvel only has spring tension in the open position, an additional safety feature. Other components include: plier/gripper, wire cutter, crimper, double toothed wood saw, 1/2 serrated blade, 3-sided file, large screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, 1/4" drive, awl, can opener/small screwdriver, bottle opener/med. screwdriver, scissors, rulers and lanyard ring. PowerLock also comes with a heavy-duty, dark leather pouch A standard issue with any SOG multipurpose tool is the advantage of hex bolt construction. This essential design element gives you the greatest versatility to clean and change tool components ( additional tool components are directly available from SOG for a modest charge). Features all stainless steel construction ( also available in a black oxide finish) and comes with a  heavy duty leather pouch, a Lifetime Guarantee and they are MADE IN THE USA.

With hex bolt construction holding the SOG's together - replacing tools is a snap...

Various components available from SOG on line.....(LINK).

The second multitool in the lineup is a Victorinox SwissTool RS (Rescue and Survival) which comes equipped with both scissors and belt cutter which replace the serrated blade and the metal file and can be life saving in a auto accident. Tools included are: Pliers, Screwdriver (2mm), Screwdriver (3mm), Wire Cutter, Screwdriver (5mm), Bottle Opener, Screwdriver (7.5 mm), Large Blade, Scissors, Seatbelt Cutter, Metal Saw, Wood Saw, Reamer/Punch, Phillips Screwdriver, Chisel/Scraper, Strong Crate Opener, Wire Bender, Wire Stripper, Wire Scraper, Can Opener, Ruler (9 inches), Ruler (230mm), Electrical Crimper, Lanyard Hole . The SwissTool RS has the same features as the original SwissTool with two additional features: seatbelt cutter and scissors - something every first responder needs. Made in Switzerland with a lifetime warranty.

The most recent addition , a third, that has been added to my arsenal of multitools and I find it adequate to do 95% of the jobs handled by the two mentioned above. Lighter and more compact than the PowerLock, its big brother,  the Pocket PowerPlier ( Model #S44 ) is very easy to carry and use. SOG's Pocket PowerPlier is packed with essential tools that include pliers/grippers, wire cutters, partially serrated blade,  Phillips screwdriver, three-sided file, can opener with a small screwdriver, bottle opener with medium screwdriver, an awl, rulers, lanyard and heavy duty leather pouch.  Again the PPP’s advantage of hex bolt construction leaves all the other multitools running for cover as this essential design element gives you the greatest versatility to clean and change tool components ( additional tool components are directly available from SOG for a modest charge) not offered by other multitool manufacturers. With the interghangability you can replace the partially serrated blade with a 3" plain edge blade and  I also removed the 3 sided file and replaced it with a serrated line cutter. I find carrying the PPP a benefit because of less weight hanging on my belt ( 5.5 ounces vs  9.6 ounces for the PowerLock) .  Also noted is  SOG's Deluxe Pocket PowerPlier ( Model S45) whichs adds a large screwdriver, 1/4 socket drive however it loses the awl as a tool  and weighs in at  5.5 ounces - same as he S44 model.  Backed by a  Lifetime Guarantee and they are MADE IN THE USA.

Note the added LM pocket clip to my PPP.

ALL 3 multitools have their place in my life, and depending on the assignment for the day one of the three is on my belt and the other two are close by in the truck.

Andrew J. Gnoza, III
multitool.org
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 03:34:58 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline colubrid

Re: SwissTool RS + SOG Powerlock S60
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 06:43:58 AM
I have two SOGS Powerlocks and I just ordered a the new seabelt cutter to from them to add to the tools.

One of the cool things about SOG multitools is you can individually cutomize them with the tools you want.

See these two Powerlocks have different tools. I am adding a seat belt cutter and 1/4 drive to the lower one.

Offline colubrid

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 06:45:34 AM
SOG and Vic Spirit. No Leather guys here.

Offline samson722

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:33:01 PM
Hey folks,

I hate revive this ancient thread, but I'm considering buying one of the new SOG EOD Powerlock 2.0's with the Piano Locks.  How easy is it to change out tools on these?  Does anyone have one?  If so, I'd love to know if there's anything I can swap out and fit a 1/4" driver in instead.  I figure that way, it'll be as expandable as hell.  Right now I'm using a Gerber and I'd like to upgrade for sure.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Samson
<

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:23:29 PM
I don't have the 2.0 yet, but it appears to be of standard SOG hex-bolt construction. It should be no problem to swap out components, which is one of the really big advantages to SOG tools.

Here is a link to the spare blades and such they offer for sale: http://sogknives.com/store/components.html
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 05:30:25 PM
Good to see you are still around! :D

I thought we'd lost you a while back!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:02:41 PM
Good to see you are still around! :D

I thought we'd lost you a while back!

Def

No such luck - caught a couple of 10 year old ( 1997 ) cold cases after the New Year and then a couple months doing some DIY home repairs / upgrades in the 2 baths and kitchen.

Andrew J. Gnoza, III
Why do I carry a 45 ?

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:14:39 AM
Nice review eodtech  ;)
I have both and agree with you, only I switched out the scissors on my S60 for the web cutter (S62 now!).
They are my tanks!

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Re: 3 multitools = 2 SOG's + 1 Victorinox ..... UPDATED
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:20:30 PM
UPDATED  09/09/2008
Why do I carry a 45 ?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99