Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a value estimate on rare(?) SAK

ca Offline BulletProof

Looking for a value estimate on rare(?) SAK
on: March 24, 2022, 06:49:57 PM
Have a rarer knife and am looking for a value estimate.  I realize that these things are not written in stone, so all feedback is appreciated.

Knife is a 84mm "Small Climber" (I believe) with the long file and the scissors.  Scales have been professionally replaced (by Victorinox) and they did the main blade replacement as well.  They also cleaned it.  It has not been used since this work has been done.
The knife has the original nickel (aluminum?) tweezers.  The only issue I can see with the knife is that the small clip-point blade is scratched and the edge needs to be cared for (not pretty).

Pictures attached.

Again, your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,
Ron (BP)

* 1..jpg (Filesize: 41.9 KB)

* 2.jpg (Filesize: 49.45 KB)

* 5.jpg (Filesize: 60.99 KB)

* 4.jpg (Filesize: 45.56 KB)
SAKer since 1972

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Looking for a value estimate on rare(?) SAK
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 05:00:55 AM
Wow. I was expecting to see the 3-layer knife from your description. It’s not a ‘climber small’

Before I start spouting off numbers, I would like to see at least a couple more pictures showing the top and ends so I can see the condition of the liners. Or if they were also replaced.

I think this is a 244k:

clicky

If you have the written documentation from Victorinox, I believe it would help the value significantly.

The fact that it’s a repair does ding it quite a bit for it’s collectibility.

Regardless, I think a ‘floor’ in the $100-$150 USD range is reasonable. I’d need more pics to really even guess at the top side.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline BulletProof

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 06:17:07 PM
New pic attached.  Hopefully it will work (I missed focus on the one shot but wasn't sure it was worth redoing... if you need that shot clearer, I will do it.  I suck at product photography)

Basically Victorinox just sent me back a packing slip... no other info.

* 6.jpg (Filesize: 146.21 KB)
SAKer since 1972

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 08:51:18 PM
I’d expect a better installation of the scales from Victorinox.

Looks like the liners were replaced, but hard to tell from the pics.

I think I’d expand my estimate range up and down just a bit. Maybe $75-175 depending on where it’s listed and the seller rating, better pics, etc.

Did you keep the original scales? Pics before it was sent for repair?

Looks like it was originally an early/mid ‘60s knife with a vosc tang.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline BulletProof

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 08:58:30 PM
Before repair, as to condition, the knife looked identical to what it does now.  The liners do not look new (if you were thinking that Victorinox recently replaced them).  The knife was in good shape when I sent it off (well, except for the broken main blade and the scales were ratty)....  No, I didn't keep the original scales... didn't see the need...

I appreciate your assessment.  At $75.00 I would just throw it in my EDC box and use it once in a while.  At $175.00, I might sell it!  Maybe I should just throw it up on the 'bay and see what happens.

Thank you for your time, it is really appreciated.

Ron.
SAKer since 1972

ca Offline BulletProof

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 05:53:53 PM
I think this is a 244k:

I was looking closely at the photo of the 244k, and there is one small difference... my cork screw has one more turn to it.  Everything else seems correct...  What does that mean?!?
SAKer since 1972

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 08:13:40 PM
This looks like early golfer but i could be wrong

Only Tools Matters

Offline lipoff

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 07:31:28 AM
I believe that is an early 84mm Golfer.  There is a similar one (same one?) on sale on eBay now for $550, and the owner claims he paid $600 for it.  The repairs by Victorinox should reduce the value of yours somewhat, but I'd say an intact long nail file should push it to at least $200 at a minimum. 

ca Offline BulletProof

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 02:09:43 PM
I believe that is an early 84mm Golfer.  There is a similar one (same one?) on sale on eBay now for $550, and the owner claims he paid $600 for it.  The repairs by Victorinox should reduce the value of yours somewhat, but I'd say an intact long nail file should push it to at least $200 at a minimum.

Thank you for finding that.  The price seems a little excessive, but this is certainly not my area of expertise.
SAKer since 1972

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2022, 03:16:33 PM
I was looking closely at the photo of the 244k, and there is one small difference... my cork screw has one more turn to it.  Everything else seems correct...  What does that mean?!?

Means it's an earlier model pre-'73

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD