Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Beatin' up on my Kick

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Beatin' up on my Kick
on: March 11, 2007, 11:37:03 PM
I have decided to make my slightly modified Kick my test tool of sorts. I have tried different methods for removing the LM screws all with pretty bad results. I can't seem to get them off without "buggering" them up.  Also I tried a little something with the extra screw hole for the LM pocket clip with equally bad results as you can see. I never really like the idea of the plastic inserts on a multitool so I tried to see how much abuse they could withstand. I put the Kick in a coffee can full of bolts and screws and gave it to my son for some good shaking for five minutes. The handles as well as the stair tape held up pretty good.
new.jpg
* new.jpg (Filesize: 40.09 KB)
new1.jpg
* new1.jpg (Filesize: 46.92 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: Beatin' up on my Kick
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 11:38:51 PM
More
new2.jpg
* new2.jpg (Filesize: 44.22 KB)
new3.jpg
* new3.jpg (Filesize: 44.81 KB)
"

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 12:13:38 AM
I would be willing to bet they are locktighted on. Put a soldering iron on the center of the fastener before trying to remove it could help.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 12:18:57 AM
I just know there has to be an easier way to get those darned screws out though. What must Leatherman use? I've combed the internet, looking for special sockets and drivers.

I've found big ones, but nothing small enough to work on a Leatherman.

* stm_0019.jpg (Filesize: 20 KB)

* M0019_L.jpg (Filesize: 9.62 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 05:23:28 AM
I just know there has to be an easier way to get those darned screws out though. What must Leatherman use? I've combed the internet, looking for special sockets and drivers.

I've found big ones, but nothing small enough to work on a Leatherman.
I've spent hours searching the net for any sockets or drivers also with no results. 
"

Offline supratentorial

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 07:11:12 AM
...so I tried to see how much abuse they could withstand.

That reminds me of the iPod Nano stress test: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3

Have you tried running over it with your car?   :o

us Offline Splat

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 03:05:28 PM
I don't know offhand the size of the heads on the LM's but you may find a 12-point socket in a metric size around 5 or 6 that might do the trick, eh?
Splat

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 02:12:14 AM
I don't know offhand the size of the heads on the LM's but you may find a 12-point socket in a metric size around 5 or 6 that might do the trick, eh?

Nope, it won't work because the little "teeth" on the Leatherman screw heads won't engage the socket. Only a perfectly matching socket will grab the screw tightly enough to turn it.

And as if it weren't difficult enough already, those assembly demons at Leatherman actually use (at least) three different sizes of knurled screws! (For the entire rest of the world, those sizes shown below roughly equate to 7mm, 6mm, and then 5mm diameter on the Micra.)
1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 58 KB)
2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 52.2 KB)
3.jpg
* 3.jpg (Filesize: 44.5 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%