Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Official Cadet Owner’s Club!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Official Cadet Owner’s Club!
on: September 03, 2022, 04:31:03 PM
A few years ago I was shocked to learn there was no official Pioneer club thread. Today I was looking at the Club Thread sticky and was again shocked to discover there is no official Cadet club thread  :o

So, let’s rectify that!

The cadet is a slim, compact two-layer knife built on the 84mm frame. The combination of a few, well selected tools along with its robust alox scales, small size and lightweight have made it a long time favorite for many.

It has a large following in the EDC world as a nice, lightweight option for a primary carry knife. Or as a non-threatening, handy secondary blade. It’s availability in a wide variety of colors and variations over the decades have made it a very popular choice for collectors. It also strikes me as possibly the quintessential gentleman’s SAK.

It’s one of those patterns whose appeal goes beyond the numbers. When you pick it up you are struck at once by both its light weight and it’s robust feel, two things that usually don’t go together. It’s sleek lines and smooth feel let it double as a “worry stone” for your pocket. Or a fidget. You immediately wonder how they can pack all the implements in such a small package. It is the essence of Swiss precision.

So, enough chatter. On to the pics. I currently only own one, the 2018 berry cadet, though many have passed through my hands. I’ll include a couple pics of those as well.

Join in, share your love of this great Swiss pocket tool!
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Re: Official Cadet Owner’s Club!
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 07:25:42 PM
Knock, knock.

I'll jump in also.  It makes me envious, though, to see Alox colors other than silver.  I'm not sure but it seems that Victorinox only likes to send silver to the States.
I keep a Cadet in my phone case , hanging beside a pair of folding reading glasses.  Thin, lite, and ready when I need it .

* 0903221320.jpg (Filesize: 257.33 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 07:35:28 PM
Cadet is one of my top models.  I have a black one coming this week.

* 008a.jpg (Filesize: 307.1 KB)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 08:10:03 PM
Knock, knock.

I'll jump in also.  It makes me envious, though, to see Alox colors other than silver.  I'm not sure but it seems that Victorinox only likes to send silver to the States.
I keep a Cadet in my phone case , hanging beside a pair of folding reading glasses.  Thin, lite, and ready when I need it .

Nothing wrong with silver! It’s got it’s own special class to it.

In the US, silver, black, and red are all current standard colors. They’re available on Amazon for close to the same price.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 08:11:28 PM
Cadet is one of my top models.  I have a black one coming this week.

:like:

I like the dangler clip. I personally find the key ring nub annoying on both the 84 and 93mm frames and always file them off.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 01:05:34 AM
I’ll be a member of this club in a few days! Found a brand new red Cadet on the universal auction site and just couldn’t resist…

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 01:21:16 AM

Recent pic from the Loaded Pockets Challenge.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 01:24:53 AM
Now if only they would produce a Cadet - X...

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 01:30:53 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
Recent pic from the Loaded Pockets Challenge.

I don't even.... How many pockets do you have???  :think:

Your pants must weigh 10 lbs!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 01:35:34 AM
Good spot GTM - And yes indeed - Very, very strange there is no club (unless we missed it somehow !! ..... anyone? ??? )

Especially for such an iconic SAK - Which also has so many brilliant colour variations

So thanks for starting it up and posting a really nice write up on the Cadet

It's in the sticky now    :salute:    :tu:   

Also agree with Pitcarver about the lack of colours    :'(
I was trying to get a couloured Bantam a while ago and eventually found one at Knife Centre in the US - But it was not easy
I was wondering if Vic only offered silver Alox as standard and other colours were only available via dealer special orders
Also Vic took away the red and black options on the Alox MiniChamp a couple of years ago - It's a shame    >:(    :twak:   

If I was Vic - I would make red standard for all the Aloxes - Just like the Cellidors!!
It's a much better option/look ..... IMHO ..... even when worn!  Possibly even better when worn !!  :tu:    :o

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2022, 02:45:25 AM
Good spot GTM - And yes indeed - Very, very strange there is no club (unless we missed it somehow !! ..... anyone? ??? )

Especially for such an iconic SAK - Which also has so many brilliant colour variations

So thanks for starting it up and posting a really nice write up on the Cadet

It's in the sticky now    :salute:    :tu:   

Also agree with Pitcarver about the lack of colours    :'(
I was trying to get a couloured Bantam a while ago and eventually found one at Knife Centre in the US - But it was not easy
I was wondering if Vic only offered silver Alox as standard and other colours were only available via dealer special orders
Also Vic took away the red and black options on the Alox MiniChamp a couple of years ago - It's a shame    >:(    :twak:   

If I was Vic - I would make red standard for all the Aloxes - Just like the Cellidors!!
It's a much better option/look ..... IMHO ..... even when worn!  Possibly even better when worn !!  :tu:    :o

Thanks for adding it to the sticky!  :cheers: And double checking there wasn’t another. I searched and didn’t see anything.

And I agree, I think red should be the standard alox color. They did a run of farmers and pioneers in red back in like 2006 or so, and as far as I know they haven’t been a standard issue since which strikes me as crazy for such iconic models. I didn’t realize they discontinued the red and black minichamps, that’s a shame.  We only got silver over here but I managed to snag a black one on eBay a few years ago (which I modded into a rambler). 

Currently the cadet is available in red, black and silver in the US, but I remember the days you could get them in cool colors at target, like autumn orange and Hunter green. Too bad that’s all in the past.

us Online powernoodle

Reply #11 on: September 04, 2022, 06:26:05 PM
I don't even.... How many pockets do you have???  :think:

That's what makes it a challenge.   :cheers:  I seriously did not enjoy carrying a fixed blade, 3x SAKs, an MT and a bandana.  Even for me, that was a lot.

I wear 5.11 taclite pro pants or shorts 7 days a week.  8 pockets maximize my space for more toys.

https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Taclite-Tactical-74273-32Wx34L/dp/B001NEQFOC/ref=asc_df_B001NEQFOC?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80539344295177&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138871488052&psc=1

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #12 on: September 04, 2022, 09:50:21 PM
Well those are some pretty fancy pants!

And here I am just wearing ordinary jeans/cargos like a chump.

My EDC is much more minimal, but different strokes right?

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 10:18:52 PM
Well those are some pretty fancy pants!

And here I am just wearing ordinary jeans/cargos like a chump.

It's what you get used to and what works for you.  I really liked quick drying 5.11 lightweight ripstop material, but not the fit.   Wrangler cargo pants are more comfortable for me, and I only use 4/6 pockets anyway.  They are extra slow drying though.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #14 on: September 05, 2022, 12:23:06 AM
Absolutely! We all have different wants and needs and no criticism was intended.

Personally, I like to avoid anything that looks too "tactical" in my personal appearance or clothing. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's just not my way. I disklike drawing a lot of attention to myself in almost all aspects of my life... so no tie dyed shirts or fedora hats either! Under the radar is just my preferred place to be.

It's also one of the reasons I like SAKs. Well, a side benefit at at any rate. I primarily love SAKs because they are high quality tools at a reasonable price that are easy to use and carry. I like that they have a history associated with them, and I have a personal history with them too. But it certainly helps (to my way of thinking) that a red Swiss Army knife doesn't draw much attention.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 12:44:44 AM by marlowe221 »

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 05, 2022, 07:32:13 AM
I'll throw my lot in here! Definitely want to expand my cadet collection, the standard colours on offer in the US will help with that, though I wish I had jumped on more LEs before they made the switch.

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 08:43:27 PM
It's official, sign me up!

IMG_0946.jpg
* IMG_0946.jpg (Filesize: 166.42 KB)

It feels great in the hand, if a little thin. Haven't had an opportunity to use it yet though so we'll see. Either way, I'm enjoying just LOOKING at it!

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 09:11:54 PM
Yeah, they are beautiful.  I just got this black one the other day.

* 001a.jpg (Filesize: 242.22 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 10:31:29 PM
The Cadet is my favorite "dress" knife. That nail file has saved the day at more banquets than I can count.

* cadet.jpg (Filesize: 178.55 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 01:43:27 PM
I disklike drawing a lot of attention to myself in almost all aspects of my life...
Under the radar is just my preferred place to be.

:iagree: THIS...!!!

i have only one, filed the keyring off mine after this pic. I only carried it once, at a wedding cause i was in a suite. Other than that it's not really my thing.... It's a fine SAK but it's just too bloody thin and uncomfortable  for me. Sweet spot is two layers cellidor for me.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 01:50:28 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #20 on: September 29, 2022, 03:52:17 AM
I JUST received a black alox cadet as a gift from my wife a few days ago.

For 19 years my main EDC has been a silver alox Pioneer (also from my wife) but I have always wanted to own a colored alox as well.  I have  wanted to try out the cadet because it is so slim. I have to say, I am loving it.
My model has the newer version of the nail file. I greatly prefer it to the older file on my other SAK's . its a bit more rugged . you could even use it to take the edge of small metal objects. It simply works better than the other version of the file. Its fantastic.
 I have always carried my SAK in that little change pocket that is in the right hand pocket of my jeans. I find the Cadet fits perfectly there . its so slim that I never even notice it  , even when I am sitting down. To be honest,  Its better than I thought it would be.
A great addition to any collection.

P.S Im so happy to see a Cadet Club thread

* ba5.jpg (Filesize: 147.83 KB)

* cb7.jpg (Filesize: 137.67 KB)
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #21 on: September 29, 2022, 08:08:55 PM
:iagree: THIS...!!!

i have only one, filed the keyring off mine after this pic. I only carried it once, at a wedding cause i was in a suite. Other than that it's not really my thing.... It's a fine SAK but it's just too bloody thin and uncomfortable  for me. Sweet spot is two layers cellidor for me.

Having had a chance to carry the Cadet a couple of times now, I think I agree. It's just too thin! It's beautiful and an example of fine craftsmanship, to be sure, but I keep finding myself wishing it was thicker!  :dunno:

I haven't tried a Pioneer or other 93mm alox model to compare. Maybe I wouldn't find one of those to be too thin. But I definitely agree that the cellidor scales of the 84mm/91mm series makes a SAK feel a bit better in the hand (though I do like the texture of the alox!).

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #22 on: September 30, 2022, 12:09:08 AM
Having had a chance to carry the Cadet a couple of times now, I think I agree. It's just too thin! It's beautiful and an example of fine craftsmanship, to be sure, but I keep finding myself wishing it was thicker!  :dunno:

I haven't tried a Pioneer or other 93mm alox model to compare. Maybe I wouldn't find one of those to be too thin. But I definitely agree that the cellidor scales of the 84mm/91mm series makes a SAK feel a bit better in the hand (though I do like the texture of the alox!).
  You might enjoy a Farmer or a Swiss Army 7.  Same Alox goodness, but thicker.  Plus you will love how big and thick all the tools are - a whole new level of pocket knife! Weight about the same as a climber.

I love the Cadets, frequently carry them and have silver, red and black (and a couple extras - I know, I'm nuts).

* 006a.jpg (Filesize: 222.27 KB)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 03:01:07 AM by Bunk Tuppins »

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 02, 2022, 09:57:14 PM
The Cadet is one of my all-time favorites too!  Thanks for getting us organized, Gustophersmob.

Here are a few of mine:

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 02, 2022, 10:51:24 PM
Great collection, Myron :drool:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #25 on: October 03, 2022, 04:42:22 AM
Great work gustophersmob, definitely a thread that was needed :hatsoff:

Think it’s fair to say the Cadet is one of my all time faves and the first SAK I started actually collecting properly

L-R
2022 Swiss Spirit
Cadet II (drop point small blade)
Cadet II (clip point small blade)
Cognac (the cadet that shouldn’t exist - mistake in the Five Colour Series)
Standard Red
Standard Black
Silver (old style nail file)
Silver (new style nail file)
Green
Olive Green 2017 LE
Orchid Violet 2016 LE
Berry Red 2018 LE
Champagne Gold 2019 LE
Aqua Blue 2020 LE

de Offline tinker gnome