Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Blade Sharpener

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Leatherman Blade Sharpener
on: September 28, 2022, 04:55:36 PM

Just for giggles, I bought the Leatherman Blade Sharpener off of the Leatherman website for US$14.95 plus shipping.  I have only used it once, to sharpen a kitchen knife, and it seems to work well enough.  It is super light weight, and I carried it in my pocket all day yesterday without noticing it was there.  Obviously, its the traditional "pull through" design aimed I believe at newbies or anyone who just wants an easy way to get a decent sharpening.  Due to the fixed angle of the sharpener, its not suitable for those who like to vary the angle based on whatever blade you are sharpening.  I don't know what the angle is on this one, but its pretty acute and presumably designed for Leatherman MT blades.

As between the Leatherman and Victorinox flavors, I'd say they both have their advantages.  Both provide carbide [Leatherman] or similar sharpening surfaces, and both have v-shaped ceramic pull throughs.  The Leatherman has a diamond rod for shears or other applications.  The Victorinox allows you to adjust your grind angle, but this is best suited only for people who know what they are doing.  For the masses, the Leatherman's fixed angle pull through may be the better choice though not all blades will match that fixed angle.  The Victorinox rides a little easier in the pocket, though the Leatherman is fine in that regard.  The Victorinox has a pocket clip, and the Leatherman a lanyard attachment point.  The Victorinox has dual fish hook grooves.

The Leatherman has a little red switch on top that supposedly activates or locks the "Pivot Response."  Presumably, and per the instructions, when unlocked the Pivot Response allows the convex carbide mechanism to follow the curve of the blade and increase material removal for heavy sharpening.  The instructions say to move the switch to the "right" to lock out the the Pivot Response, but don't indicate which side of the sharpener should be facing you when you select the "right" side.  Presumably this means that the side with the Leatherman logo should be facing you.  The instructions are not awesome, and despite diligent effort I could tell no difference when the Pivot Response was locked or unlocked.  No big deal, but to me its just a little hokey and doesn't make much sense.

The back (?) side of the Leatherman Blade Sharpener showing the Work Sharp logo.  Presumably, you look at the "front" of the sharpener when determining which way is right or left for the Pivot Response switch.

The instructions are printed in multiple languages.  This is the extent of the English version.

The Leatherman Blade Sharpener is a rebranded Work Sharp Pivot Plus sharpener, which has 4/5 stars on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Unisex-Adults-Sharpener/dp/B07X1WHGQC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=work+sharp+pivot+knife+sharpener&qid=1664377801&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjUwIiwicXNhIjoiMS4zMiIsInFzcCI6IjAuOTIifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=work+sharp+pi%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-3

Leatherman Blade Sharpener: 
https://www.leatherman.com/leatherman-blade-sharpener-692.html

Overall, I think the Leatherman Blade Sharpener is worth the US$14.95 entry fee.  The Victorinox version is currently $US13.60 on Amazon Prime with "free" shipping. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with the Victorinox flavor just because it allows you to employ any grind angle.  But for the masses, or anyone who wants an easy pull through system or just loves Leatherman, the Leatherman Blade Sharpener is a fine offering at its price point and is Powernoodle Approved.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 05:14:27 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Blade Sharpener
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 05:48:43 PM
Great pics and write up, powernoodle :salute: thanks for sharing and for the comparison to the Vic sharpener :cheers: :like:

Offline StrangeToolbot

Re: Leatherman Blade Sharpener
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 10:43:20 PM
It would have been even cooler, had they implemented some kind of adjustment dials for various blades, or included a ferrous rod for sharpening serrated blades like my preferred Lansky tool has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD