Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bolster: My First Leatherman Review

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Bolster: My First Leatherman Review
on: October 10, 2022, 10:23:57 PM
I was at Costco today when I spotted a sign for a $40 Leatherman. I've always been more of an SAK guy, but I've had a few off brand multipliers over the years that've been handy. At that price, I figured now was a good time to try my first real Leatherman (which I assume is more or less the target demo). I'll carry it for a bit before I make up my mind, but I wanted to give a first impression as someone that has some knowledge of multitools in general, but wasn't jaded on Leatherman in general.

Good:
It has pliers!: Kind of obvious, but a good pair of pliers is a nice thing to have. Hybrid needle nose/regular. The in between size means they're going to be too big for some detail jobs but too small for some real heavy jobs, but I imagine they can handle most light EDC/home improvement stuff well enough. Definitely better than the Vic 91mm pliers.

The knife: OHO, nice solid lock, good blade shape, edge, etc. I assume this is the "standard" Leatherman blade, and it feels like a good one.

The size: At 3.75 inches, this is within spitting distance of a "medium" SAK, and smaller than a Trekker/Rangergrip pattern. Held "vertically" it's about the same as a Swisschamp (slightly longer but slimmer) and less than half an ounce heavier, meaning it's pocketable. That's pretty much a necessity for me to EDC due to my field, and I've always thought of Leathermans as being too big. I don't think I could manage a Surge (even a Wave would be questionable) but this is doable in my slacks.

"2.5d" Phillips: Again, I assume this is a Leatherman standard, but this is a lot nicer than most 2d Phillips I've used. The little label on the handle is helpful too.

Mini-serrated blade: I'm mostly a plain edge guy, but having a tiny serrated for when it is necessary (and it looks like it'll make a great package opener) is welcome.

The Meh:

Ruler/File: On the one hand, I've been whining that Vic should put a ruler on the other side of their small files for a while. On the other, I don't know how much use I'm going to get out of a 1.5 inch ruler on a tool this size.

Lanyard Ring: I'm broadly pro lanyard/bail/keyring on tools, but the implementation here (a wide but thin ring that you have to swing out) seems questionable. How much is it going to pivot in use? Why is it so big? Is the steel going to bend?

The Bad:

Clumping/Deployment: Maybe I just need to get used to it, but it's a huge pain to get tools out on this thing. On the "large" side in particular there's a lot of rubbing/clumping.The window to push from the other side is helpful, but still not great, and the little "nail nicks" at the base seem pretty useless. I feel like it's better on some of the knock off pliers tools I have. Is this a consequence of the size, or just one of those things that you get the hang of once you carry this style of tool for a while?

Ergonomics: Why are there so many weird bumps, seams, semi finished edges, etc.? Is there any kind of comfortable way to hold this? These are inherited from the Rev/Sidekick, while most other Leathermans I've seen (and other companies plier tools in general) have smoother handles. Is this a cost cutting measure on the "entry level" tools? Did someone just think it was cool and then think better of it after the Rev and Sidekick came out?

Overall, I'm looking forward to carrying this for a week or so and taking on some jobs around the apartment to test it out. I don't feel like it'll replace my SAK for EDC, but maybe it'll surprise me. If not, the wife could use a new glovebox multitool to replace the crappy souvenir shop SAKalike that she's had since before we got married.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Bolster: My First Leatherman Review
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 02:00:57 AM
Interesting!  I had heard rumors about a Costco exclusive at $40.

Yet I must say, no pictures?
 :worthless:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 02:19:37 AM
Figured everyone knew what one looked like already, but if you insist!

Also a link to the product page w/ tool list, etc. https://www.costco.com/leatherman-bolster-multi-tool-with-nylon-sheath-.product.100763691.html

From what I understand it's a Sidekick with the saw handle replaced with a Rev handle.

* closed.jpg (Filesize: 84.61 KB)

* open.jpg (Filesize: 93.16 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 03:13:59 AM
Great run down of the Bolster :salute: I have never gotten one yet but I have heard mainly good things about them :cheers:

Thanks for sharing your POV :salute: :like:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 04:39:03 AM
Good write-up! I'll attempt to answer the questions you had about the lanyard hole:

How much is it going to pivot in use? Why is it so big? Is the steel going to bend?

They do pivot some in use, but thus far I haven't found it objectionable. I don't know Leatherman's reasoning behind making it so big, but I actually prefer the larger size to the ones on the Pulse and especially the Juice. And I haven't had one bend yet.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 07:14:47 PM
While I own a Bolster, I haven't used it.  It feels very similar in construction quality to it's brothers, the Sidekick and Wingman, which I have used a lot. 

I think the most important thing to consider with the Bolster is it's price.  At $45, it blows away every other tool at that price point.  You can get more tools for the buck with an off-brand tool (Bibury, Ozark Trail, etc), but the quality of the Bolster feels better.  I also trust Leatherman's warranty over companies like Bibury that will likely disappear before their warranty expires.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 11:17:56 PM
Day 1 Update

As expected, the Bolster slid into my slacks pocket just fine. Less fidget factor than an SAK, but no problem with getting caught on a seam or anything. Bolster handled several standard EDC chores fairly well today.

Nail file: Took care of a couple burrs on my nails. I really like the coarseness of the file, nice sweet spot for nails. I also tested it on a piece of wood for a project I'm working on. Performed acceptably there, although the angle/size of the grooves meant that the wood tended to slid off the bottom if I didn't hold it just right. Overall, better than most MT files but not quite perfect.

Serrated blade: Helped with mail call. Performed well on cardboard.

Both tools are still questionable to access/put away. Is there an ideal tool density per side for pliers tools? The way most people like a 4 layer SAK?

Main blade sliced up an apple for lunch and also helped on mail call. Overall, I think I like the blade itself better than the ones on most SAKs, but all the little nooks and crannies make it a bit of a pain to clean up after messy jobs.

Post mail call pic with the Bolster and new (to me) 110.

* nkd.jpg (Filesize: 127.37 KB)

Offline stugumby

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 05:29:25 PM
It's what the Rev should have been, it has a better opener hole for the main blade, spring loaded pliers, swaps package opener for the short serrated blade. A decent tool set except for the file, I got mine on the bay site, good price but alas it has the same hand slides up on it when using the pliers that tha entire rev,wing,side family does. Not a show stopper, just a bit odd. Very functional tool, light to medium duty, rides ok in pocket, a good quick grab tool. I would like to see the pry bar/opener from the free series in place of the file but there is a thickness difference. Just like the T free series, it takes some getting used to it time. My OCD requires me to always have a victorinox or 2 on hand.

us Offline darrylf

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 10:04:12 PM
From what I understand it's a Sidekick with the saw handle replaced with a Rev handle.

us Offline darrylf

Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 10:05:25 PM
Accidentally posted the quote above without comment. Meant to say: from info on this forum and from personally examining the tools I can confirm this.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 01:26:09 AM
Day 2: Fair to middling day for the Bolster today.

The paper towel dispenser at work jammed (again...) Any slim/pokey thing can unlock it to fix, and the fish scaler on an SAK is perfect for this, although some other long narrow tools can work. I tried the file and (as a last resort) knife on the Bolster and neither one fit the groove right. Granted, not every SAK has a tool that fits there right either, so I can't deduct too much. I do think everyone needs a poker of some kind as part of their EDC.

Then I had a table fall apart on me, so I tried to use the Phillips to fix the leg. Plus: the bigger handle is a lot easier to grip and torque than an SAK handle. Minus: the driver tried to fold up on me a couple times. I'm surprised the handles don't function better as a pseudo-lock. I feel like this is something that'll happen less as I get used to the tool and know how to hold it at the right angle. Pliers also came in for an assist on wriggling a stuck screw. Overall, decent performance. Definitely preferable to an SAK without the (rarish) in-line Phillips, and probably slightly better than one with.

Blade was totally successful at opening an envelope for my wife. 10/10.

Will probably keep trying it through the end of the week (including an overnight at camp this weekend) before I render a final verdict.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 02:00:51 AM by BPRoberts »

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2022, 12:34:35 AM
Day 3:

Pliers test day!

Figured since they're the centerpiece of the tool, I might as well put them through their paces. Some of these came up naturally through the day, and some were engineered just to see:

1: Table repair: I swear to god, these things are like $150 a piece but they're built worse than Ikea. Pliers failed to lock on tightly enough to be effective at screwing caster back in. I can't entirely blame this on the Bolster, since I know this bolt has come out and been put back in dozens of times.

2: Shower head removal: Unable to open wide enough/grip tight enough to help get the old shower head off.

3. Shower head part 2: Was successful in removing the flow restrictor. Replaced after test. Low flow shower heads have really improved in the last couple years apparently.

4. Hoody string retrieval: Awlso failed. I really thought this one would go better.

5. Book shelf adjustment: This is a common job for my Swisschamp (since it's on the same shelf) so I grabbed a peg just to see if I could. Did better than the Swisschamp.

The Bolster pliers score well for pinchy/grabby tasks this week, but mostly strike out on clampy/twisty ones. These are a fine pair of light general duty pliers, and would probably function well for basic home electrical work, but not suited for harder stuff. For a <4"/$40 pocket multitool, that's still better than any of competition.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 03:33:59 AM by BPRoberts »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 12:51:51 AM
Good to some some real world tests of these as I don't believe they are talked about as much as some of the other tools :salute: :like:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 11:06:21 PM
Day 4

Both drivers saw use today. The Phillips on some... Phillips and the flat on a couple of what looks like they used to be Phillips but got stripped out. Also pulled some light scraper duty. Notably, the Bolster lacks any kind of a "small" driver so something like a switch plate screw is a challenge, where most SAKs have a smaller driver at least as a secondary function.

However, it was the pliers day to shine after their so so test yesterday. A bracket on a ping pong table was bent out of shape and they corrected it fairly easily. The can opener also stepped in as a foil cutter on a bottle of bubbly.

All in all, good day for Bolster.

Offline cnlson

Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 11:51:43 PM
Notably, the Bolster lacks any kind of a "small" driver so something like a switch plate screw is a challenge, where most SAKs have a smaller driver at least as a secondary function

the tip of of the ruler/file

Offline cnlson

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2022, 04:57:33 AM
All in all, good day for Bolster.

kinda funny, I'm doing the reverse with a swisstool. I was interacting with some swiss advocates on a leatherman v swisstool video on youtube and to prove them wrong I bought a swisstool x off ebay, then i bought 2 swisstool rs, but that is another story.

I've been impressed with the swisstool, but i need outside opening tools and a pocketclip so eventually the swisstools will be going on ebay to someone with plenty of money

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2022, 05:45:13 AM

the tip of of the ruler/file

Thanks!

I've been impressed with the swisstool, but i need outside opening tools and a pocketclip so eventually the swisstools will be going on ebay to someone with plenty of money

Do Swisstools not have all outside tools? I've never used one, but I thought that was part of their thing.

Day 5

Bolster helped out around camp today. The small serrated blade continues to be a great package opener. The can/bottle opener did a great job on a chili can (bought the store brand so it wouldn't have a pop top) but the bottle opener requires a bit of finesse. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Also took some time with both pouch and clip carry instead of the pocket carry I do at the office. For a tool this size, the pouch feels like more trouble than it was worth. Clip was fine, but I don't know that I particularly like it better than pocket.

Carrying for one more day and putting up a final review tomorrow.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2022, 03:47:36 PM
I think he meant one hand opening tools of the Charge/Wave series :cheers: The Swisstool and Spirit have outside accessible tools but nothing one hand (except for the newest iteration of the Spirit with a one hand blade  :salute: )

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #18 on: October 16, 2022, 11:58:06 PM
My first Leatherman was a Sidekick that I bought straight from Amazon (for $30!!!) back in 2012. I was a junior in high school at the time and I thought my shiny new Leatherman was really cool.  :multi: Then I got a Wave in college and I never looked back. 

The Bolster is basically a less-capable Sidekick, since it has all the same internal tools but loses the wood saw.

Based on my Sidekick experience, I think your experiences with the Bolster are par for the course with the whole Sidekick/Wingman/Rev/Bolster family.

The pliers generally aren't great at clamping and twisting, partly, I believe, because of the spring resistance (slight though it is) and partly because the wide splay and concave curves of the handles naturally encourage your hand to slip down towards the plier head when you try to squeeze them hard, especially if your hands and/or the tool are wet, greasy, or sweaty.

If there is a "standard" set of Leatherman tools and blades, it would be the internal (and interchangeable) tools found on the Wave/Charge/Curl, Rebar/Bond, Blast/Fuse/Kick, etc. They are ground more precisely, have a matte finish, and lock, or at least have locking notches (even if these aren't used in every multitool that uses these standard tools). 

The Sidekick/Wingman/Rev/Bolster tools are, fortunately, emphatically NOT standard across any other Leatherman multitools.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 17, 2022, 12:57:46 AM
Day 6/Verdict:

Alternated between loose pocket and clip today. Really can't tell the difference with a tool this small. No particular uses. I think I opened a box this morning, the blade still works.

Overall, for $40 I'm pretty happy with the Bolster. While I don't love all the exact design aspects all tools are functional, the build quality feels solid, etc. I will probably give a "real" Leatherman (probably a Wave or Rebar) another try someday. If your goal is to get a new, full size, name brand multiplier as small/light and cheap as possible, you'd struggle to do better. The only other NIB option below $50 is finding a Rev or Suspension on sale. I'd rather have the serrated blade than the Rev's package hook, and at the size/weight/price of the Suspension I'd rather step up to a Sidekick, Wingman, or Bond.

Quick review of each of the tools after using them for about a week:

Pliers: Meh. Better than the SAK pliers. A little chunky for detail work but a little small for heavy work.

Blade: Good. Excellent size, shape, factory edge, and seems to be holding it alright.

Flathead: Decent. A little prone to folding.

2.5D Phillips: Honestly better than some 3D multitool Phillips. Still had some folding issues, but a tool I was pleasantly surprised by overall.

File/Ruler/Small Driver: A lot of just ok in one package. Yes the ruler is smallish, yes the file slant is weird, yes it's a bit bulky for a driver. But three tools in one is good density, and these are all usable.

Can/Bottle Opener: Less thrilled with this. It's a decent can opener, but not great for bottles.

Serrated Blade: Hands down the surprise winner here. While I prefer a plain edge for my main blade, this is a great way to add some utility in a small package.

Clip/Holster: Holster feels completely unnecessary on such a small tool. I could take or leave the pocket clip, but it's tight and sturdy.

Overall ergonomics/design:  I understand the rationale for clumping (re: gloved hands) but this strikes me as more of a light EDC/backup tool than the kind I'd reach for when I'm going to be doing heavy work (similar point to the holster). Beyond that, the lumpy handles were less of an issue than I expected day one.

Overall

This will never take over from an SAK as my primary SAK. The fit and finish, tool assortment, etc. just isn't there compared to a Swisschamp, and while it is carryable I overall prefer a smaller (and more comparably priced) model like a Huntsman. Likewise, it's a little too small/underfeatured to be a primary tool for tradework or even heavier fixit around the house.

I do think there's room in the world for it as a budget conscious backup tool to live in a desk drawer, backpack, glove compartment, etc. Covers a few more bases than a basic SAK, and will hold up to use better than most off brand bargain tools. I wouldn't mind adding a saw, but a Sidekick is almost double the price. If I want to throw one in each car, one in my desk at work, one in my wife's desk at work, etc. a Bolster is going be fine 99% of the time, and save a lot of money.

It was nice to carry something outside my usual wheelhouse for a week, and I feel like I learned a lot about Leatherman and pliers based tools in general. I'll continue to dabble, and hope that someday I can find something in their line up that's a better fit. I didn't realize they came in such reasonable sizes, and I'm looking forward to giving some of their other stuff a shot.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 01:22:17 AM by BPRoberts »

Offline cnlson

Reply #20 on: October 19, 2022, 08:42:56 PM
The Sidekick/Wingman/Rev/Bolster tools are, fortunately, emphatically NOT standard across any other Leatherman multitools.
I think it is arguable that the free series tools are either the same or inspired by the Sidekick/Wingman/Rev/Bolster

Offline cnlson

Reply #21 on: October 19, 2022, 09:03:20 PM
Do Swisstools not have all outside tools? I've never used one, but I thought that was part of their thing.
you are correct, I meant one hand opening outside tools.

Pliers: Meh. Better than the SAK pliers. A little chunky for detail work but a little small for heavy work.

Compared to what sak pliers?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2022, 12:39:05 AM
The 91mm ones. To be fair, I did use the Swisschamp pliers today, and they did fine. I definitely bad mouth them more than they deserve.

Offline cnlson

Reply #23 on: October 20, 2022, 04:41:17 PM
The 91mm ones. To be fair, I did use the Swisschamp pliers today, and they did fine. I definitely bad mouth them more than they deserve.

I assumed you were talking about swisstool pliers and that was confusing me. So far I'm impressed with them in comparison. Going to see how strong they are in a bit, maybe this weekend

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: October 20, 2022, 06:18:30 PM
I think he is meaning the small fold out piers on the SwissChamp :think: :cheers:

They are good for certain things but nothing compared to a plier based tool, plier :salute: :cheers:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 26, 2022, 03:04:31 AM
One more post and I'll stop pseudo-necroing this. Fireman was kind enough to trade me a lightly used PST for the November challenge (that is happening right? We're like 5 days out and I haven't seen anything...) and I'm blown away by the difference in smoothness. I decided to clean and oil the Bolster, just in case it'd somehow come out of the factory cruddy and it did help, but I'd still rate the PST at least twice as smooth. Combined with the double cut outs and nail nicks, it's a much more usable tool. Slight minus points for having even more pointy bits than the Bolster (that small driver is sharper than some awls!) but still a lot more pleasant experience.

I know the Rev/Wingman/Sidekick/Bolster are supposed to be a budget/starter line, but they don't give a good (or accurate?) first impression of the tools. Assuming the action on the Bond/Rebar is similar to the PST (maybe even slightly improved? They had over a decade to poke at it.) I can't see any situation where I'd recommend the Rev over a Bond. The $10 is well worth it for a smoother tool. Same goes for the Wingman or Sidekick vs a Rebar. There's still a small niche for the Bolster as the cheapest "real" Leatherman you can get by a fair margin, but even that's a stretch.

Either I got a lemon, or Leatherman should heave-ho that whole line and position the Bond (maybe find a way to make a budget Bond? I'm not sure what they could cut...) as their new starter.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: October 26, 2022, 04:07:36 AM
The PST was totally on another level than the Bolster :salute: The Bond is what they have called the PST replacement and it does a pretty good job :tu: I love both the Rebar and the Bond as well :cheers:

Congrats on the PST :woohoo: kudos to Fireman :salute: the challenge is still on it and we have a thread but it just hasn't been bumped in a little bit :tu: I will go and :bump: it so you can see it :tu:

Offline cnlson

Reply #27 on: October 28, 2022, 06:50:44 AM
One more post and I'll stop pseudo-necroing this. Fireman was kind enough to trade me a lightly used PST for the November challenge (that is happening right? We're like 5 days out and I haven't seen anything...) and I'm blown away by the difference in smoothness. I decided to clean and oil the Bolster, just in case it'd somehow come out of the factory cruddy and it did help, but I'd still rate the PST at least twice as smooth. Combined with the double cut outs and nail nicks, it's a much more usable tool. Slight minus points for having even more pointy bits than the Bolster (that small driver is sharper than some awls!) but still a lot more pleasant experience.

I know the Rev/Wingman/Sidekick/Bolster are supposed to be a budget/starter line, but they don't give a good (or accurate?) first impression of the tools. Assuming the action on the Bond/Rebar is similar to the PST (maybe even slightly improved? They had over a decade to poke at it.) I can't see any situation where I'd recommend the Rev over a Bond. The $10 is well worth it for a smoother tool. Same goes for the Wingman or Sidekick vs a Rebar. There's still a small niche for the Bolster as the cheapest "real" Leatherman you can get by a fair margin, but even that's a stretch.

Either I got a lemon, or Leatherman should heave-ho that whole line and position the Bond (maybe find a way to make a budget Bond? I'm not sure what they could cut...) as their new starter.

The bond is likely as cheap as they could make it.

The bolster/rev/sidekick/wingman are tools that should be in a different class from the rest of leatherman tools. They are the stocking stuffers/ office gift/ graduation / ect gift tools. If you are buying for yourself you will step up an dbuy something good, but if you are buying for someone else... [larry david voice] welllll, you know.  [/larry david voice] they are meant to compete on price with gerber. price alone.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%