Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Revived Sos Surprise Box GAW ( US edition ).

Aloha · 867 · 27503

Offline Bigshep

Re: Revived Sos Surprise Box GAW ( US edition ).
Reply #840 on: April 18, 2024, 04:18:57 PM
I did end up going back through the box before sending it to BigShep and picked out some 91mm parts and added a few items.
(Image removed from quote.)

I could follow a thread watching you repair and restore these with brass. You should consider making videos.

us Offline lazar

Reply #841 on: April 18, 2024, 04:45:27 PM
I could follow a thread watching you repair and restore these with brass. You should consider making videos.

I have a YouTube channel, but haven't done any how it's done videos, just completed mods.

https://youtube.com/@SAKMods?si=mzxAUwG7nG7HlUv3

Offline Bigshep

Reply #842 on: April 18, 2024, 04:53:01 PM
I have a YouTube channel, but haven't done any how it's done videos, just completed mods.

https://youtube.com/@SAKMods?si=mzxAUwG7nG7HlUv3

These are awesome

us Offline lazar

Reply #843 on: April 19, 2024, 06:24:14 PM
Did some research on what the black translucent SAK might be.  Found out it's a Voyager.  I ended up replacing the battery and it kept powering down.  Took the front scale off and adjusted the battery contacts and it works like a charm.  It has 3 functions, Clock, Alarm, and a Countdown.  Thanks to whoever donated it!

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #844 on: April 19, 2024, 08:23:26 PM
 :like:
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #845 on: April 21, 2024, 06:00:14 AM
Awesome to see the box on the move again. 

Lazar - that is some nice refurbishing.

Offline Bigshep

Reply #846 on: April 23, 2024, 03:12:27 AM
Got it tonight! Going through it with my kids!

:climber:

Offline bigbear

• New User
Reply #847 on: April 23, 2024, 03:32:22 AM
I am new on here. I would love to get the box. I have some cool stuff to put in it. .i hope I can do this. It might take me a little while to learn everything.

Offline Bigshep

Reply #848 on: April 23, 2024, 03:49:25 AM
I am new on here. I would love to get the box. I have some cool stuff to put in it. .i hope I can do this. It might take me a little while to learn everything.

Hi bigbear there are some really cool people on here. This is a neat forum to hang around and learn some stuff too! Welcome!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #849 on: April 23, 2024, 06:27:11 AM
Welcome to MTO, bigbear.  You should introduce yourself in the new member forum and establish yourself as a member of the community with a few quality posts to show you're truly interested in this hobby, and then we'll be glad to add your name to the list to get the surprise box.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #850 on: April 24, 2024, 03:10:18 AM
 :iagree: Welcome to :MTO: :salute:

It wouldn't be to member like to ask for something like this in your first post :cheers:

Hang around a while and let us get to know you and then maybe you could come back some time and get a chance at the box :tu:

Offline Bigshep

Reply #851 on: April 25, 2024, 12:24:53 AM
My selection includes an awesome little piece of art in the form of a brass SAK, an "army" can opener, and a bag of Leatherman parts. I added some items, to the already full box!

Let me know if anybody else wants to participate! I can send them the box next.

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #852 on: April 25, 2024, 12:51:02 AM
My selection includes an awesome little piece of art in the form of a brass SAK, an "army" can opener, and a bag of Leatherman parts. I added some items, to the already full box!

Let me know if anybody else wants to participate! I can send them the box next.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

Offline Bigshep

Reply #853 on: April 25, 2024, 12:52:19 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

I am trying, the web is giving me fits. I will get them.

Offline Bigshep

Reply #854 on: April 25, 2024, 12:54:45 AM
I just got some parts out of the bag. OH my son also chose a "stick". He loved the stick, lol.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

* 20240422_201752.jpg (Filesize: 103.02 KB)

* 20240422_201802.jpg (Filesize: 78.27 KB)

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #855 on: April 25, 2024, 01:25:22 AM
 :like:

Very good choice!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #856 on: April 25, 2024, 04:07:23 AM
 :iagree: :like:

us Offline lazar

Reply #857 on: April 25, 2024, 04:29:45 AM
Nice!  :tu:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #858 on: April 30, 2024, 09:57:19 PM
I'm in a bit of a quandary here. On the one hand, I have lots of things that I would like to send on to new homes. But on the other hand, it is almost certainly in my best interest to actively avoid acquisitions of new gear. (Much new gear, anyway; there's no way I wouldn't make space for a second Izula.) Therefore, I'm a little hesitant to sign up for another go at the box. I thought about putting some things in a box and mailing it off to the next recipient, so they could be combined. Do any of y'awl have any thoughts on that?
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #859 on: April 30, 2024, 10:15:13 PM
Well!  I think there are several here with the same issue. Just too much to share, and not enough room to talke on more.

I know your time is special and attending to other important interests!   You could appoint a trustee!  Someone who monitors the site regularly and might find a member, new or establish with a need and then  fill that need.   Anonymously,  or, with credit.

The box is a shot gun approach, of take and give.

The manner I purpose would be a more precision approach for gift directing.   And could have a “PAY IT FORWARD” vibe.   

This can include GAWs as well.   For donations toward Operating Fund or Challenges.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #860 on: April 30, 2024, 10:19:26 PM
Hi Dan,
    That is a generous thought.  Of course that would mean that the shipping debt for whoever gets the box would be greater not to mention keeping track of two boxes.  The present medium flat rate box seems to be pretty full now. 
     One of the biggest problems with the box is a surplus of supply and a shortage of participation.  I figured that sometime or other something is going to happen to the box.  Lost in transit.  Theft.  Something.  Another member and I had a discussion of perhaps scaring up enough odds and ends to create a new box in the event of fraud, accident, or shipping failure.  Perhaps that might be a way to help fill a new surprise box.  Of course, the need may never arise.  If it does it could also be a ways down the road. 
     Until more of our regular members (and I don't mean someone who joins just to get the box) participate in the exchange program I think the whole thing will slowly grind to a halt.  It did that in Aussie for a long time and seems to be stalled again down under.  I heard where there was some communication about that branch of the surprise box, then nothing.  There seems to be little enthusiasm on either side of the ocean actually.  Surprising if you think about it.  Best wishes.  G

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #861 on: April 30, 2024, 10:58:50 PM
GAW is not a bad idea.  You could also sign up for the box, invite some family and friends to each pick something out of the box, then add to the box what you'd like to send out?

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #862 on: May 03, 2024, 09:17:46 PM
Send it to Europe to get some new interest in the box ? It's just I wouldn't know how to get it overseas without problems. However, if it was available here, I'm pretty sure we could get quite a few people involved.  :D

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #863 on: May 03, 2024, 09:34:28 PM
    Good idea but pretty much impossible.  How about the European MTo contingent putting together a Surprise Box on your own?  Trade it around over there.  It started with Sherry just putting a handful of nice things in a box on her own and sending it.  It could work there. 
    A box of mixed things from the US with new and used items of all sorts would be quite a task to get through taxation and customs.  Not worth the trouble.  Especially since it would likely be confiscated.  I can see a French box working maybe with shipments within country.  Or Finnish box?  The US box started small.  No reason you couldn't start one on a small scale over there.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #864 on: May 03, 2024, 09:42:40 PM
    Good idea but pretty much impossible.  How about the European MTo contingent putting together a Surprise Box on your own?  Trade it around over there.  It started with Sherry just putting a handful of nice things in a box on her own and sending it.  It could work there. 
    A box of mixed things from the US with new and used items of all sorts would be quite a task to get through taxation and customs.  Not worth the trouble.  Especially since it would likely be confiscated.  I can see a French box working maybe with shipments within country.  Or Finnish box?  The US box started small.  No reason you couldn't start one on a small scale over there.  Best wishes.  G

I agree, It could work somehow here like it do US.

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #865 on: May 03, 2024, 10:19:24 PM
   Since none of our European friends have actually seen the US surprise box, maybe you might like a better idea of how to make one.  Without getting into specifics, the Surprise box has things like pens, lanyards, paracord, watch bands, lights, carry pouches, one-piece tools, SAK parts, and sheaths.  There are multi-tools and knives as well.  If you will look at the things kept by the US members, you will see all of these sorts of things.  Most recipients keep a few things and put some items back.  Some of them are expensive.  Some are not. 
   I remember friend Antti sent an item to Frenchephaistos recently.  We have several Finnish members who could potentially be part of the game.  If anything could be sent from Finland to France (you already know, Antti), the box could circulate around France and maybe some neighboring countries.  Depending on shipping and laws.  There are lots of UK members, but their new shipping laws might not allow entry. 
   Find out what works.  Put together a few things and see who wants to receive the box and then pass it on.  If nobody does it first, it won't happen.  It could be done satisfactorily with just items like I mentioned and NO knives at all.  Best wishes.  G
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 10:31:08 PM by IMR4198 »

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #866 on: Today at 01:48:31 AM
It was my understanding that it was look into, a manifest would need to be created, a value assigned each item, a tax applied on top of the postage fees to move the item from one country to another.

A possible work around would be personal transport and handoff amongst members.  Norway, Sweden, Rnglsnd and Ireland will require ferry transport.

Understood, it was complicated.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%