Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What kind of phone do you carry?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What kind of phone do you carry?
on: March 12, 2007, 10:25:56 PM
OK, so I know that most of us here are gadget oriented types (I know, I know, hard to believe!) and so I was wondering what cell phone you have?  I am certain many of us don't settle for the basic model handed to you with a package, so what have you got?

I upgraded to a Sanyo 7300 rugged phone with digital 2 way radio option about 8 months ago and I'm pretty happy with it.  It has a solid speaker phone, good call quality and signal strength.  It isn't Bluetooth enabled, but then I don't use that kind of stuff.  At least, not yet anyways! :P

I have also been pretty hard on cell phones, having worked security and other outdoor jobs.  The only other phone that has stood up to me for any length of time is an old Motorola StarTac 3000 which I would still be using but it's analog only and the batteries died for good after almost ten years of consistant use.  And replacing batteries costs more than another phone, so my inner Scot wouldn't let me do that!

Def
GShock_Phone.JPG
* GShock_Phone.JPG (Filesize: 101.56 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Re: What kind of phone do you carry?
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 12:41:29 AM
Palm Treo 700p for me.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 03:46:11 AM
Blackberry 8700

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:16:17 AM
I did have a Nokia N70 then a Sony Erricson W300i but sold that so I could get a decent camera  :D Now I have an old Nokia 5100 , the ones that are shock proof and splash proof .

Dunc

Offline damota

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 09:17:12 PM
The mobile operator I am with gives me a new phone each year (not locked) and I need 2 different sims so I carry a SE K800 (on Virgin contract)and a SE K750i (on Orange PAYG just for incoming calls). I also have an old Nokia 5410i that I keep for rough use (water proof, and drop proof (well it has been upto now)).

Dave

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 03:02:24 PM
I have a crappy old Motorola T-720.  It works great, but it's about to fall apart.

It has been through the wash 3 times and at the bottom of a river twice.  Each time it gets soaked, I just remove the battery, disassemble it about 1/2 way, and put it in the oven at 120 degrees F for 8 hours.  Comes out good as new (and clean inside and out!).
- Terry

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 10:38:14 PM
nokia 8910, yeah, thats an ancient phone without colour screen or camera, but it does have chrome buttons and a titanium case, and very cool sliding mechanism. Had that for about 3-4 years.

The next phone I will probably buy will be one on which you can watch movies and listen to music on a nie big tough sensitive screen. Closest thing to that atm is the unreleased apple phone, but I wont be buying that when it comes out, not until it gets much cheaper and has some way of upgrading memory.

Im thinking the new charge im planning on getting will match nicely with this phone, what with all the titanium and all.

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 12:21:44 AM
Sony Ericsson w600i.  I just wish it had an external memory option for added capacity for the MP3 player and 1.3mp camera/video

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 05:25:00 AM
I use a Motorola I450, use it for Walkie Talkie on SouthernLinc's IDEN netowork, I use my internet to check my mail, MSN, etc and GPS to boot, not an expensive tool and I want more, but don't have the cash. Can't tell you how many times I have dropped this thing and it keeps on tickin!

David

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 01:08:04 PM
That's the important thing right there.... The best phones can be quickly reduced to so much crap by the simple application of gravity!

When PDA's were fairly new to the market I had a nice one that I had picked up for a song (probably stolen, but pawn shops rarely advertise that!) but was almost instantly rendered useless when my dog jumped on me, knocking it out of my pocket and cracking the touch screen.  The PDA still worked, but you can't do much wit hthese things without the touch screen nowadays...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 11:06:19 PM
nokia ngage qd here, it's agreat bargain for 100 USD ;)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 04:03:54 AM
My Motorola is rugged and dependable....a bit on the heavy side though. I'll probably just stick with them if my current one ever dies.   ;)

* user1680_1158730897.jpg (Filesize: 27.16 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 04:08:10 AM
hehehe... those old Motorolas never die.  I still have an old bag phone from the late 80's that works as well as anything available these days!

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 01:56:31 AM
Mine is too heavy to carry so I had it permanently mounted in this genetically modified hamster

Yabba dabba doo!

Offline knife-man

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 11:06:59 AM
Nokia 6630 with 1Gig memory.
I wanted one to double as a MP3 player and it was one of the cheapest :grin:.
[

Offline Murray

• New User
Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 06:39:29 PM
I have a POS razor I have had nothing but problems with it.   I am done with it in NOV so hopefully it lasts that long  :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 07:47:57 PM
I have a POS razor I have had nothing but problems with it.   I am done with it in NOV so hopefully it lasts that long  :cheers:

Are you considering the genetically modified hamster model as a replacement?   :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

mx Offline Chaka

Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 06:21:54 PM
i have right now a SE k510i

Offline josekym

Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 03:44:00 AM
Nokia 6233 for more than 6 months now.  Has everything I need and serves me great for calling/messaging/email/modem/mp3 player/fm radio.  I don't change handsets often, and take pretty good care of them as well. Before that, I used a basic Nokia 3315 for about 3 years.  =)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 09:44:31 AM
Welcome to the forums josekym  ;D

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!